ADVERTISEMENT

The CCL/ESCC Prognostication Thread - Week VII

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
The CCL/ESCC Prognostication Thread - Week VII
notre-dame-guard-arunas-vasys-watching-team-lose-to-usc-in-upset-of-picture-id50543847

If the Gaels of St Philips were around today, they'd be state champs.
Arunas Vasys (class of 1961), Notre Dame, Philadelphia Eagles.

BLUE and ORANGE:
SL (3-3) @ BR (4-2)

neutral field
[2019] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 42, [2019] St. Laurence (Burbank, IL) 21
Naz (5-1) @ M (3-3)
neutral field
[2019] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 26, [2019] Marist (Chicago, IL) 21
DLS (3-3) @ MC (6-0)
neutral field
[2019] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 42, [2019] De La Salle (Chicago, IL) 0
BA (6-0) @ LA (4-2)
neutral field
[2019] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 27, [2019] Benet Academy (Lisle, IL) 8

GREEN and RED:
Marian, Heights (4-2) @ SR (3-3)

neutral field
[2019] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 46, [2019] Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights, IL) 19
MCHS (4-2) @ SJ (1-5)
neutral field
[2019] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 56, [2019] St. Joseph (Westchester, IL) 0
PC (4-2) @ TECH (2-4)
neutral field
[2019] Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL) 62, [2019] DePaul College Prep (Chicago, IL) 0
ND (6-0) @ Leo (3-3)
neutral field
[2019] Notre Dame (Niles, IL) 60, [2019] Leo (Chicago, IL) 0

PURPLE and WHITE:
SV (4-2) @ MA (4-2)

neutral field
[2019] Marmion Academy (Aurora, IL) 22, [2019] St. Viator (Arlington Heights, IL) 21
SP (2-4) @ F (3-3)
neutral field
[2019] Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) 28, [2019] St. Patrick (Chicago, IL) 14
CoM (1-5) @ JC (3-3)
neutral field
[2019] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 46, [2019] Carmel (Mundelein, IL) 20
Marian, Sticks (4-2) @ SI (2-4)
neutral field
[2019] Marian Central Catholic (Woodstock, IL) 27, [2019] St. Ignatius (Chicago, IL) 17

Crusader -21
Redhawk +5 (Marist has had Roadrunners number is past. Can they come through with the upset at home with there season on the line?)
Caravan -42
Rambler -19

BLUE and ORANGE:

Saint Laurence @ Brother Rice:
Rice gets a nice rebound match up against an area foe. BR 38 StL 17

Nazareth @ Marist:
The top 2 ESCC teams over the last few years meet up in totally different circumstances. Marist desperately needs this win, but they just don't have the horses to run with Naz. Naz 31 Marist 21

De La Salle @ Mount Carmel: These old rivals are just that because they've been around for a long time and they're not too far from each other. MC 45 DLS 7

Benet @ Loyola Academy: Benet is having a very nice season, but they are meeting their bigger, faster, stronger, twin in the Ramblers. LA 49 Benet 20

GREEN and RED:

Marian Catholic @ Saint Rita:
If this was 2004, this would be the talk of the South Side, but now it's teams that should not be sharing the same field. Marian's march for 5 stalls this week. SR 56 Marian of the Heights 12

Montini @ Saint Joseph:
Terrible that these programs have to play each other. No one benefits. MCHS 63 Joe's 0

Providence Catholic @ DePaul Prep:
Unfortunate match up for both programs. Provi 49 Gordon Tech 0

ND @ Leo: Bad situation that could easily be avoided. ND 70 Leo 0

PURPLE and WHITE:

Saint Viator @ Marmion Academy:
The Fightin' Lions with their improbable comeback win last week have to be flying high, but without their stud ATH QB, this will be a tall task. Marmion 28 StV 17

Saint Patrick @ Fenwick:
Classic old rivals reuniting on the field after many years of not playing on the gridiron. I feel terrible for the Shamrock players. I was at the game watching my friends son and the Pat's coach and staff didn't give them a chance to win last week. It's really too bad as Pat's should be a very respectable program at worst. The Friars dance all over the broken Shamrocks. Fenwick 34 Pats 13

Carmel @ Joliet Catholic: ESPN game back in the early part of this century. Carmel is a mess on every level and I wish nothing but the best for Coach Annen and his family. The Hill 42 CoM 13

Marian Central Catholic @ Saint Ignatius:
Marian of the Sticks has been to Englewood, 79th and Western, and now the Near West Side. Not many teams have traveled like they have. Marian has had some program turmoil the last few years, but they are putting together a nice bounce back year and will be fired up to get their 5th win ahead of the Loyola contest next week. Marian of the Sticks 28 Iggy's 14

Reactions: ignazio
St. Laurence +21
Marist +5
De La Salle +42
Benet +19
Marian Catholic +27
St. Joseph +56
DePaul +62
Leo +60
Marmion -1
St. Patrick +14
Carmel +26
St. Ignatius +10

BLUE and ORANGE:

Saint Laurence @ Brother Rice:
Rice gets a nice rebound match up against an area foe. BR 38 StL 17

Nazareth @ Marist:
The top 2 ESCC teams over the last few years meet up in totally different circumstances. Marist desperately needs this win, but they just don't have the horses to run with Naz. Naz 31 Marist 21

De La Salle @ Mount Carmel: These old rivals are just that because they've been around for a long time and they're not too far from each other. MC 45 DLS 7

Benet @ Loyola Academy: Benet is having a very nice season, but they are meeting their bigger, faster, stronger, twin in the Ramblers. LA 49 Benet 20

GREEN and RED:

Marian Catholic @ Saint Rita:
If this was 2004, this would be the talk of the South Side, but now it's teams that should not be sharing the same field. Marian's march for 5 stalls this week. SR 56 Marian of the Heights 12

Montini @ Saint Joseph:
Terrible that these programs have to play each other. No one benefits. MCHS 63 Joe's 0

Providence Catholic @ DePaul Prep:
Unfortunate match up for both programs. Provi 49 Gordon Tech 0

ND @ Leo: Bad situation that could easily be avoided. ND 70 Leo 0

PURPLE and WHITE:

Saint Viator @ Marmion Academy:
The Fightin' Lions with their improbable comeback win last week have to be flying high, but without their stud ATH QB, this will be a tall task. Marmion 28 StV 17

Saint Patrick @ Fenwick:
Classic old rivals reuniting on the field after many years of not playing on the gridiron. I feel terrible for the Shamrock players. I was at the game watching my friends son and the Pat's coach and staff didn't give them a chance to win last week. It's really too bad as Pat's should be a very respectable program at worst. The Friars dance all over the broken Shamrocks. Fenwick 34 Pats 13

Carmel @ Joliet Catholic: ESPN game back in the early part of this century. Carmel is a mess on every level and I wish nothing but the best for Coach Annen and his family. The Hill 42 CoM 13

Marian Central Catholic @ Saint Ignatius:
Marian of the Sticks has been to Englewood, 79th and Western, and now the Near West Side. Not many teams have traveled like they have. Marian has had some program turmoil the last few years, but they are putting together a nice bounce back year and will be fired up to get their 5th win ahead of the Loyola contest next week. Marian of the Sticks 28 Iggy's 14
You must be a CCL guy . ** Its Marian of the Woodpile

BLUE/ORANGE

Brother Rice -21
Naz -5
DLS +42
Benet +19

GREEN/RED (It is a damn shame that these divisions cross over. Across the board, none of these 8 programs benefit from these matchups.)

Rita -27
Joes +56
DePaul +62
Leo +60

PURPLE/WHITE

Marmion -1
Pat's +14
JCA -26
Iggy +10

The leader has spoken.

BR -21
Marist +5
MC -42
LA -19

SR -27
St.Joes +56
DePaul +62
Leo +60

Marmion -1
St.Pats +14
COM +26
SICP +10

gotta take a few chances (MC, LA, COM) in hopes of catching the ESCC guys, however this is probably where my picks fall apart and the free fall begins.

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
St. Laurence +21
Marist +5
MC -42
Benet +19
Rita -27
St. Joseph +56
DePaul +62
Leo +60
Marmion -1
Fenwick -14
JCA -26
St. Ignatius +10

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
St. Laurence +21....not sure of the status of Rice's QB
Naz -5...just have a feeling this is the year Naz handles Marist. The Redhawks are struggling offensively.
De La Salle +42
LA -19....big step up for Benet
Rita -27....the young Mustangs are coming of age. If I'm a Montini fan, I don't want to see these guys again in the playoffs.
Joe's +56
DePaul Prep +62
Leo +60
Marmion -1
Pat's +14
JCA -26....tough call here. Not sure what effect the announced resignation of the head coach will have on the Corsairs
Iggy +10

Last edited:
St. Laurence +21....not sure of the status of Rice's QB
Naz -5...just have a feeling this is the year Naz handles Marist. The Redhawks are struggling offensively.
De La Salle +42
LA -19....big step up for Benet
Rita -27....the young Mustangs are coming of age. If I'm a Montini fan, I don't want to see these guys again in the playoffs.
Joe's +56
DePaul Prep +62
Leo +60
Marmion -1
Pat's +14
JCA -26....tough call here. Not sure what effect the announced resignation of the head coach will have on the Corsairs
Iggy +10
I'm starting to like you a little

Reactions: crusaderpride
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring

St. Laurence +21- Warren making debut. Rice wins but but not by three scores.

Naz -5- Marist will play hard but Naz wins by 2 scores.

De La Salle +42- I think MC will rest some players who are dinged up these next two weeks so they are healthy for BR and the playoffs, unless something goes horribly wrong. MC wins by 28 but not 42.

LA -19- They found the right mix and are home.

Rita -27

St. Joseph +56

DePaul +62

Leo +60

Marmion -1- @ Marmion and its gonna rain....Slip and Slide!

St. Patrick +14

JCA -26....this is tough but COM is out of the playoffs, their coach resigned, they are going to phone it in, JCA wins big.

MCC -10- Got to pick a wild card!

Ignazio,

LA over Benet by three scores.

I believe LA v BA has only occurred twice on the gridiron:
1998: Loyola 35 Benet 7
1999: Loyola 22 Benet 15
Thus, if the 'Wings can maintain that 21-point-differential swing, annualized, for these past two decades, they should win by over 400.
Quod erat demonstratum.

Last edited:
Reactions: crusaderpride
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring

St. Laurence +21- Warren making debut. Rice wins but but not by three scores.

Naz -5- Marist will play hard but Naz wins by 2 scores.

De La Salle +42- I think MC will rest some players who are dinged up these next two weeks so they are healthy for BR and the playoffs, unless something goes horribly wrong. MC wins by 28 but not 42.

LA -19- They found the right mix and are home.

Rita -27

St. Joseph +56

DePaul +62

Leo +60

Marmion -1- @ Marmion and its gonna rain....Slip and Slide!

St. Patrick +14

JCA -26....this is tough but COM is out of the playoffs, their coach resigned, they are going to phone it in, JCA wins big.

MCC -10- Got to pick a wild card!
Leo and DePaul have their hands full. But getting 60 and 62? For the sake of the kids on each squad, sure hope not.

Reactions: Gene K.
First year of my life of not attending a single St Laurence game (need to support my son/York team this year - and next!) Well I have followed them on twitter / YouTube throughout the season. Seems like a good but also frustrating year with very close losses to JCA and Benet - games that seemed to be a W late in the game - even played OK vs NAZ - that 5th win (assuming) they beat DLS in week 9 seems elusive. Darn shame cuz they might have qualified as 4A and I would imagine a deep run into the playoffs- maybe? Maybe a year away, I know they have their QB and stud RB coming back - but this year is not done and let's hope they can upset either BR or PROV. Does anybody have a perspective on how the Vikes played this year and how they may look in 2020?

Reactions: USD24
So before I give you the winning 12-team parlay, a few things:

1) with the reference of the St. Philips Gaels by giggles, it reminded me of the missed opportunity by the marketing departments of woman teams in the Chicagoland market. If the Chicago Gaels, paying homage to Chicago’s Irish’ contributions is too ethnic-exclusive for today’s market, Chicago Gales (strong winds, and I know why Chicago was first referred to as the Windy City had little to do with weather) could have been used.

2) there are plenty of comments that some of these games shouldn’t have been scheduled but in reality, the conference tried and didn’t have the red play the blue, it just happens the green is very strong also. Back when I played and the league was split between north and south, there was always a 1-8 or 0-9 team in there with programs that are in different levels of development. The new conference tried their best to give developing programs a shot at the playoffs and the developed programs a chance to get healthy during their season long “games of the year” each week.

Now to the picks:

StL +21
Marist +5
DLS +42
LA -19

SR -27
StJ +56
DeP +62
Leo +60

MA -1
StP +14
JC -26
SICP +10

First year of my life of not attending a single St Laurence game (need to support my son/York team this year - and next!) Well I have followed them on twitter / YouTube throughout the season. Seems like a good but also frustrating year with very close losses to JCA and Benet - games that seemed to be a W late in the game - even played OK vs NAZ - that 5th win (assuming) they beat DLS in week 9 seems elusive. Darn shame cuz they might have qualified as 4A and I would imagine a deep run into the playoffs- maybe? Maybe a year away, I know they have their QB and stud RB coming back - but this year is not done and let's hope they can upset either BR or PROV. Does anybody have a perspective on how the Vikes played this year and how they may look in 2020?
Hearing from a Co-worker that Nissen has made some first year coaching errors which is to be expected. He didn’t coach last year and was the MC Soph coach before that so this is his first high profile, all eyes on me gig. Learn from your mistakes.

Their D1 WR took off when Blackmon was let go, that hurt them. Hearing they will be good next year with the RB/QB back but defensively may struggle. Soph team is decent but told the Freshman team is severely undersized and didn’t look good in the game he saw.

This will be Nissens first recruiting class this year, we’ll see how he does!

Soph team is decent but told the Freshman team is severely undersized and didn’t look good in the game he saw. This will be Nissens first recruiting class this year, we’ll see how he does!
Several of their alumni said that maybe the last straw for Blackmon was that last year the women's volleyball coach had more kids test then he did for the football team. Wishing Nissen the best of luck.

Reactions: McCaravan
Hearing from a Co-worker that Nissen has made some first year coaching errors which is to be expected. He didn’t coach last year and was the MC Soph coach before that so this is his first high profile, all eyes on me gig. Learn from your mistakes.

Their D1 WR took off when Blackmon was let go, that hurt them. Hearing they will be good next year with the RB/QB back but defensively may struggle. Soph team is decent but told the Freshman team is severely undersized and didn’t look good in the game he saw.

This will be Nissens first recruiting class this year, we’ll see how he does!
Thanks for the info McCaravan - I did forget about the WR bailing - he was very productive last year - big void! Hoping for an upset in wk 7 or 8 - looks like that missed 2 point conversion v JCA and/or the fumble on a late drive v Benet while with the lead will keep them out of the IHSA playoffs

Reactions: McCaravan
Not sure how the score for a forfeit gets recorded but St Joe’s +56 seems a good call as they forfeited

Who is the QB for York?

Mount Carmel is Babe Ruth. De La Salle is Daniel Palka.

Mount Carmel 49 De La Salle 7

Mount Carmel 2019 State Champions 14-0

Why at St. Rita?
Leo High School was using St. Rita for 3 of it’s 4 home games this year. This week’s game is listed as a home game for Leo and was supposed to be played at the Kroc Center (Salvation Army) facility on 119th Street. Don’t know why it was moved to St. Rita. St. Rita has been home to Flower High School and several Charter Schools have played games there. DeLa Salle played their home games there during their field renovations. St. Ignatius played there for 2 or 3 seasons? Since there is always something going on at St. Rita on Saturday (freshman games, Lacrosse, grad school games, band competitions..) there is always staff there on Saturday. Rent would be minimal. St. Rita would get the concession stand money thou.

Does Rita have visitors bleachers yet or will they only have the one side all season?

No stands yet. They just rope of the South 35% of the home stands for visitors. So far it has not been a problem. Providence Catholic has knocked down it’s visitor’s stands. For the St. Rita game they put up temporary stands on the running track. If we had MC on the schedule we would have to do that as they travel well in numbers. The search for the new president has been whittled to a couple from about 10. Once he is in place the finance committee can present their proposals.

Last edited:
Leo High School was using St. Rita for 3 of it’s 4 home games this year. This week’s game is listed as a home game for Leo and was supposed to be played at the Kroc Center (Salvation Army) facility on 119th Street. Don’t know why it was moved to St. Rita. St. Rita has been home to Flower High School and several Charter Schools have played games there. DeLa Salle played their home games there during their field renovations. St. Ignatius played there for 2 or 3 seasons? Since there is always something going on at St. Rita on Saturday (freshman games, Lacrosse, grad school games, band competitions..) there is always staff there on Saturday. Rent would be minimal. St. Rita would get the concession stand money thou.

Thanks

No upsets in the CCL/ESCC this week with exception of Feeto's pick of Marist over NAZ

No stands yet. They just rope of the South 35% of the home stands for visitors. So far it has not been a problem. Providence Catholic has knocked down it’s visitor’s stands. For the St. Rita game they put up temporary stands on the running track. If we had MC on the schedule we would have to do that as they travel well in numbers. The search for the new president has been whittled to a couple from about 10. Once he is in place the finance committee can present their proposals.

I was there for the week one game vs JCA and thought the bleacher set up worked fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT