ADVERTISEMENT

The Autumn 2021 CCL/ESCC Prognostication Thread - Week XI

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - CUT HERE TO POST ON CARAVAN BULLETIN BOARD - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

LA @ NC
neutral field
[2021] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 38, [2021] Naperville Central (Naperville, IL) 12

SE @ M
neutral field
[2021] Marist (Chicago, IL) 28, [2021] South Elgin (IL) 21

Batavia @ MC
neutral field
[2021] Batavia (IL) 24, [2021] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 22

BR @ Yorkville
neutral field
[2021] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 48, [2021] Yorkville (IL) 12

SR @ Geneva
neutral field
[2021] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 31, [2021] Geneva (IL) 7

C-M @ SI
neutral field
[2021] St. Ignatius (Chicago, IL) 34, [2021] Crete-Monee (Crete, IL) 24

Rochelle @ SP
neutral field
[2021] St. Patrick (Chicago, IL) 31, [2021] Rochelle (IL) 21

F @ Boylan
neutral field
[2021] Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) 42, [2021] Boylan (Rockford, IL) 12

Naz @ MA
neutral field
[2021] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 27, [2021] Marmion Academy (Aurora, IL) 22

WA @ JC
neutral field
[2021] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 44, [2021] Wheaton Academy (West Chicago, IL) 17

Thank you for keeping this going. I think the ESCC/CCL has a legit chance to run the table again this week (other than the obvious intra-conference matchup). Here's how I see it shaking out:

Naperville Central +26 vs Loyola - Big spread. Loyola's defense will win this game but I don't see it being more than two TDs. Ramblers win 28-17.

Marist -7 vs South Elgin - After easily beating every team they played this year, SE faced its first test last week vs 5-4 Edwardsville. I am not sure they've seen a team in anything close to what Marist can do. Marist wins 42-21.

Batavia -2 vs Mount Carmel - Easy GOTW here. Two teams with legit state title hopes. I think the Caravan's youth holds them back here and Batavia wins a defensive battle 23-14.

Yorkville +36 vs BR - The Crusaders survived a huge scare in round 1 and come out firing here. BR wins 49-21.

St. Rita -24 vs Geneva - Defense wins out. Mustangs win 35-7. KB rests again.

Crete-Monee +10 vs Iggy - Wolfpack on upset alert here. I think their defense holds up, but it'll be close. 28-24 type score.

Shamrocks -10 vs Rochelle - Facing the reality that St. Pat's might waltz to the state semi-finals.

Fenwick -30 vs Boylan - Friars roll. Their offense is clicking. 42-7.

Marmion +5 vs Naz - I've been touting the Cadets as a sleeper state title contender all season. Rolling with them here moneyline, 24-21.

JCA -27 vs Wheaton Academy - Hilltoppers roll, 45-7.

Thank you for keeping this going. I think the ESCC/CCL has a legit chance to run the table again this week (other than the obvious intra-conference matchup). Here's how I see it shaking out:

Naperville Central +26 vs Loyola - Big spread. Loyola's defense will win this game but I don't see it being more than two TDs. Ramblers win 28-17.

Marist -7 vs South Elgin - After easily beating every team they played this year, SE faced its first test last week vs 5-4 Edwardsville. I am not sure they've seen a team in anything close to what Marist can do. Marist wins 42-21.

Batavia -2 vs Mount Carmel - Easy GOTW here. Two teams with legit state title hopes. I think the Caravan's youth holds them back here and Batavia wins a defensive battle 23-14.

Yorkville +36 vs BR - The Crusaders survived a huge scare in round 1 and come out firing here. BR wins 49-21.

St. Rita -24 vs Geneva - Defense wins out. Mustangs win 35-7. KB rests again.

Crete-Monee +10 vs Iggy - Wolfpack on upset alert here. I think their defense holds up, but it'll be close. 28-24 type score.

Shamrocks -10 vs Rochelle - Facing the reality that St. Pat's might waltz to the state semi-finals.

Fenwick -30 vs Boylan - Friars roll. Their offense is clicking. 42-7.

Marmion +5 vs Naz - I've been touting the Cadets as a sleeper state title contender all season. Rolling with them here moneyline, 24-21.

JCA -27 vs Wheaton Academy - Hilltoppers roll, 45-7.
MC does have youth but Batavia’s QB is a Soph! And if Crete scores 24 it’s from scoring 3 TDs and getting three 2 point conversions, which is very possible!

LA secondary is definitely their weak link, especially as the game goes on. NC has a strong passing game...take those 26 for sure

LA -26 This one is tough Loyola wins but I worry about a back door cover from Nap.

Marist -7. I know nothing about South Elgin. Since the Hawks are at home I’ll lay the points.

Mount Carmel 2 Batavia about to experience the unexplainable Caravan will to win.

Yorkville 36 There’s no way BR takes there opponent lightly after last week but 36 is simply too many points. Running clock.

Geneva w the points.

C-M 10. Feeto special Crete wins this game straight up

Rochelle 10 Another Feeto special
Boylan 30 Easy win for the Friars but I’ll take the points. Btw exciting run for Fenwick. Love this team.

Naz -5.

JC -27. methodical blowout.

Reactions: feeto and Blue Ruin
NC +26 Until the algo adjusts, take the points in one of the best games this weekend

Marist -7 RedHawks should handle the Storm. Am I missing something with SE? If I don’t like a line (or like it too much in this case), I’ll throw a unit the other way on the money line to hedge my parlay.

Mt. Carmel +2 It will be a great game. The youngsters have played in great games already. They’ll keep their cool and pull out a win.

Yorkville +36 Field turf, I’d lay the points. On Grass, I’m taking them.

Geneva +24 You don’t go into a HS football playoff crazy town on a November Friday night without getting everything you can handle

Crete-Monee +10 Does anyone have 3 better losses than CM besides Marist? LWE, JCA and Kankakee. I’ll take the points in a great match up

Rochelle +10 I like the Shamrocks. Need a signature win to like them more. But I need help understanding the Rochelle loss to Herscher. But I’ll take the points in a backdoor cover

Boylan +30 Sort of like the St. Rita post. You don’t go on the road vs these tradition heavy proud programs and get a cake walk. You get a bare-knuckled brawl John L Sullivan style. Take the points, Friars take the win

Cadets +5 Tossing and turning all night on this one. Not really, but it’s a great match up of the Nazareth speed and precision offense vs Marmion and their grass. I think Nazareth has enough to pull it off but it goes into the 4th quarter. And I hope the young RoadRunners do well, I’ve liked them and talked them up when I saw them in person in week 6

Catholic -27 35 or 42 to 7 as the Hilltopper train bound for DeKalb rolls on. They will get a scare in the next 4 weeks, just not this week

Except for Iggy, an anomaly, MC has lost close games, which taught them that they can't be coming from behind in the fourth quarter. We know MC can move the ball and if they can punch it in, they will beat Batavia.
Great point. We can’t drive it down and stall in the red zone like the LA game. We should have had 17 points on them the first half.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
A little bit more difficult this week, but I have a feeling the IHSA will be throwing things around their offices as a lot of the Catholic's march on.

Loyola 34 Naperville Central 20: This game really isn't much doubt, but NC has enough skill and depth to not have to rely on luck to hang in there. Could be close at half.

Marist 48 South Elgin 21: I agree with Edgy in that SE is developing a legitimate program, but they just haven't felt wrath in the trenches that they will feel against Marist.

Batavia 19 Mount Carmel 18: GOTW. This is why there needs to be playoff improvements in seeding as this at WORST should be a Q-Final matchup. I'm taking the Bulldogs in an absolute war.

Brother Rice 56 Yorkville 7: BR getting pushed to 2 yards short of their death last week was a very bad thing for the rest of 7A. They will not play around against the Foxes

Saint Rita 35 Geneva 0: It is good to see Geneva working their way out of their slump, but this is a very bad matchup for them.

Saint Ignatius 31 Crete-Monee 30: This is a scary matchup for Iggy's. Yes, they can play with anyone, but CM is a program that fears no one and knows how to handle being in the playoffs. I'm going with the Wolfpack with a late TD to survive and advance.

Rochelle 24 Saint Patrick 23: I know nothing about Rochelle and playing the transitive property/guessing to why they lost a game in high school football is futile. I'm taking the Hubs simply because the Shamrocks have never advanced past the 2nd round.

Fenwick 35 Boylan 16: I want to believe that Boylan will hang in there, but Fenwick is just too much. I would like to see Boylan mix it up with the ESCC/CCL in future seasons.

Marmion 24 Nazareth 21: 2 teams playing quite well in the last month. I'm going with the Cadets winning on the last drive.

Joliet Catholic 47 Wheaton Academy 7: Very nice season for WA. It ends here swiftly.

LA 34 NC 10 easy peasy

Marist 31 Elgin 14 Order the Nancy’s stuffed Pizza at half time, ready for pick up at games end.

MC 28 Batavia 21 - MC wants BR - don’t look past Batavia

BR 38 Yorkville 27- forget the 2 point conversions

SR 35 Geneva 17 - Run Kaleb run

St. Ignatius 27 Crete-Monee 24 close one slide rule kings win this one

St. Patrick 31, Rochelle 17 games are getting tougher

Fenwick 35 Boylan 28 Should be a very good game

Nazareth Academy 35 Marmion Academy 24 one more domino falls

JCA 55 Wheaton Academy 17 - JCA may never punt, who scores more this week JCA or ESL

Last edited:
Looking back, St Pat's I recall hanging with SR for a while so maybe they are better than I thought. Would be great for CCL.

Reactions: nwfb99
would like to see Boylan mix it up with the ESCC/CCL in future seasons.

iWould that be a precondition for Marian Central Catholic to remain in the current conference arrangement, preferably in a more NW suburban focused pod?

would like to see Boylan mix it up with the ESCC/CCL in future seasons.

iWould that be a precondition for Marian Central Catholic to remain in the current conference arrangement, preferably in a more NW suburban focused pod?
Marian Central wants out?

Yes - ICC would make 24 assuming everyone else stays.
Oh just add all 5 of the Metro Suburban Catholics and Christ the King. Yeah that makes 29 - so add a color and make the Red five teams - throw in King and St Ed’s there. That may reduce the need for some of the more egregious crossovers. As long as it is just for football the travel should not be too bad. Heck BMac is currently traveling to Ridgewoid in the Metro.

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
Oh just add all 5 of the Metro Suburban Catholics and Christ the King. Yeah that makes 29 - so add a color and make the Red five teams - throw in King and St Ed’s there. That may reduce the need for some of the more egregious crossovers. As long as it is just for football the travel should not be too bad. Heck BMac is currently traveling to Ridgewoid in the Metro.
And add Rockford Boylan which makes 30. Could have 6 divisions of 5.

In a perfect world, the ESCC/CCL would rebrand as the CCC (Chicagoland Catholic Conference), go up to 30, have 6 divisions for football. The top 3 play each other, the bottom 3 play each other. Realignments every 2 years. All the other sports can be structured geographically and all division champs can go into a "conference championship tournament" to determine the CCC champ.

I'm sure holes can be poked into what I just quickly suggested and we all know that this will never happen due to politics and pride, but the Catholics should be aligning more now than ever. Strength in numbers!

In a perfect world, the ESCC/CCL would rebrand as the CCC (Chicagoland Catholic Conference), go up to 30, have 6 divisions for football. The top 3 play each other, the bottom 3 play each other. Realignments every 2 years. All the other sports can be structured geographically and all division champs can go into a "conference championship tournament" to determine the CCC champ.

I'm sure holes can be poked into what I just quickly suggested and we all know that this will never happen due to politics and pride, but the Catholics should be aligning more now than ever. Strength in numbers!
I think it would make more sense to have 5 division of 6. That way the division champs are automatic qualifiers.

I think it would make more sense to have 5 division of 6. That way the division champs are automatic qualifiers.
Can you think of any ccl/escc division Champs that haven't qualified through other criteria? I can't.

It would have to be the right breakdown of teams. No one is going to agree to a division consisting of LA,MC,BR,SR,Marist & whomever else gets put in there.

Reactions: RockSoup
It would have to be the right breakdown of teams. No one is going to agree to a division consisting of LA,MC,BR,SR,Marist & whomever else gets put in there.
IDK. In the past MC,SR, PC, BR,LA were all in the blue together.

IDK. In the past MC,SR, PC, BR,LA were all in the blue together.
And towards the end of that run almost all of the coaches expressed a desire to see that division end. You could be the a top 25 team in the State and go 0-5 in that division and miss the playoffs while a team in a weaker division skates by to the playoffs. This season Marist was 0-3 in the Blue and 6-3 overall against a good schedule. Getting those 5 schools to agree to go into a division together again would be hard enough, finding a 6th team to join them would be almost impossible

Who's volunteering to be team#6? Fenwick wanted out of the Blue and threatened to go to the ESCC several years ago. The new alignment was to qualify as many teams as possible for the playoffs without having automatic qualifiers. All teams with five wins would have enough playoff points qualify. The problem is finding games for week 1 & 2 with out of league opponents.

Reactions: caravan8
I doubt Rita even agrees to go in there. I dont think jumping into a division with Loyola (1600 students) & Marist (1600 students) is a real prudent decision for a school with less than 500. I'd assume they are happy where they are or they could have pushed the envelope and traded places with BR or Marist when the divisions were realigned this summer.

I doubt Rita even agrees to go in there. I dont think jumping into a division with Loyola (1600 students) & Marist (1600 students) is a real prudent decision for a school with less than 500. I'd assume they are happy where they are or they could have pushed the envelope and traded places with BR or Marist when the divisions were realigned this summer.
I kind of think you only need about 35 of the right kids on the varsity to win a championship. 4A JCA did beat BR?

Reactions: CatholicHigh41
Since I am bored at work, this is what I whipped up off the top of my head and guessing at enrollments and trying to spread the wealth in terms of balance and current program potential. If you can set it up where Blue doesn't play Red and Purple games, have realignments every 2 years as programs do rise and fall, the conference can get a lot of teams in the playoffs, and have actual conference champs.

Blue:
Loyola
Marist
Iggy's
Benet
Fenwick
Naz

White:
Mount Carmel
De La Salle
St. Larry
SR
ND
BR

Green:
Pat's
JCA
Montini
Provi
Marmion
Saint Francis

Purple:
Carmel
Viator
DePaul
Marian Heights
Marian Sticks
ICCP

Red:
Aurora Central
Saint Ed's
Bishop Mc
Leo
Christ the King

Reactions: caravan8
Since I am bored at work, this is what I whipped up off the top of my head and guessing at enrollments and trying to spread the wealth in terms of balance and current program potential. If you can set it up where Blue doesn't play Red and Purple games, have realignments every 2 years as programs do rise and fall, the conference can get a lot of teams in the playoffs, and have actual conference champs.

Blue:
Loyola
Marist
Iggy's
Benet
Fenwick
Naz

White:
Mount Carmel
De La Salle
St. Larry
SR
ND
BR

Green:
Pat's
JCA
Montini
Provi
Marmion
Saint Francis

Purple:
Carmel
Viator
DePaul
Marian Heights
Marian Sticks
ICCP

Red:
Aurora Central
Saint Ed's
Bishop Mc
Leo
Christ the King
I kind of like it. BR MC and SR together is smart. Like to add Marist to that mix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT