ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving Favorite?

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
What's your favorite thing about Thanksgiving or your favorite dish?

What's your all time favorite state title game after Thanksgiving?

Reactions: Iamjaytee
Favorite dish is my Mom’s pumpkin pie.

Favorite state title moment is CG winning their first ever over Providence in 2009. I pretty much watched on tv alone as the rest of the family socialized. Got very emotional being a former Trojan and knowing the long journey of the program.

All the food is great( turkey, Mashed Rutabagas, potatoes, filling, cranberries, pumpkin pie, minced meat pie, etc...) but the homemade turkey gravy is what really sets the meal apart. Favorite game was prolly the 2015 Naz title game against Lincoln way west.

Reactions: Gene K. and eireog
My people call rutabagas turnips. Delicacy of delicacies is rutabagas/ turnips with bacon and grilled onions. You’ll thank me.

Reactions: Gene K.
If we were in New England I would have called them turnips but most other places I say that and people think of something completely different. And yes I’ve had them prepared that way with a little brown sugar to candy the bacon and veggies. It’s super delicious!

My people call rutabagas turnips. Delicacy of delicacies is rutabagas/ turnips with bacon and grilled onions. You’ll thank me.

Stuffing! Even though everything is good.
Favorite game? Tough one, but I will go with the 1987 5A (back when there was only 6 classes) Championship. Joliet “Catholic High” and Peoria Richwoods. Richwoods was up 13-0 on the Hill at halftime. Great comeback by JC to win 14-13. Clutch 4th down pass from Jonathon Voss to Tyrone Isaac late in the 4th quarter.

Just being around family. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Just seems everyone is in a grand mood and loving one another. Giving the most precious gift to each other-Time.

2008 ESL vs Geneva. Courtney “the matrix” Molten. The human joystick!
One of the greatest playoff runs in all my days of watching the Flyers. Semifinals vs Glenbard West...quarterfinals against St. Rita in the city of no pity!!! Down by 21 at the half...they call him the Black-cat! That’s all I’m going to say.

Great year!

Mashed potatoes aren’t mashed potatoes unless you use a hand masher- none of this blender whipped potatoes. I can spot the forearms of a masher a mile away.

Reactions: Tez711

Food? Plain old mashed potatoes and turkey gravy!
Game? 2017 8a final. I know your wedding and the birth of your kids is supposed to be the best, but those things flew by. Nothing compares to seeing your kid and his teammates work beyond the pain, blood, tears, sweat, the stench, the rides, the drying out the soaking shoes, the turf on your kitchen floor for years, the GRATITUDE, the lessons learned, the respect gained, the moulding of boys into men by a man who loves and respects them and demands every ounce they have to give...and then seeing it all come to that moment when the whistle blows, and they have won. We won't ever forget that game. I don't think anything will compare until the kids start getting married and having kids. Forever Grateful for everything football has brought to my son and our relationship.

My favorite part of thanksgiving is the after dinner nap.

My favorite all time game is the 1992 WWS/ JCA game, after losing the previous two years in the championship game and blowing a 4th quarter lead the Tigers refused to lose and tied the game as time expired before going in the win in 2 OTs.

Favorite dish is my Mom’s pumpkin pie.

Favorite state title moment is CG winning their first ever over Providence in 2009. I pretty much watched on tv alone as the rest of the family socialized. Got very emotional being a former Trojan and knowing the long journey of the program.

I have friends from CG. We talked the day before the game, lamenting our impending losses to mighty PC and JCA. That’s why they play the games, and what a day it was for two newcomers to the Champaign scene!

I have friends from CG. We talked the day before the game, lamenting our impending losses to mighty PC and JCA. That’s why they play the games, and what a day it was for two newcomers to the Champaign scene!
If memory serves me correctly, Providence was a heavy favorite that game. I uttered, no shouted, holy shit numerous times that day.

2008 ESL vs Geneva. Courtney “the matrix” Molten. The human joystick!
One of the greatest playoff runs in all my days of watching the Flyers. Semifinals vs Glenbard West...quarterfinals against St. Rita in the city of no pity!!! Down by 21 at the half...they call him the Black-cat! That’s all I’m going to say.

Great year!
Terry Hawthorne broke Hitters hearts that day.

Stuffing! Even though everything is good.
Favorite game? Tough one, but I will go with the 1987 5A (back when there was only 6 classes) Championship. Joliet “Catholic High” and Peoria Richwoods. Richwoods was up 13-0 on the Hill at halftime. Great comeback by JC to win 14-13. Clutch 4th down pass from Jonathon Voss to Tyrone Isaac late in the 4th quarter.
Jonathon Voss and Aiden Voss related?

Reactions: JAYC14
The leftover Thanksgiving Dinner Sandwich the next day! Turkey, Stuffing, Mayo, Salt, Pepper...some like cranberry sauce, I do not. Mash it together between bread...the best.

Favorite 1988- MC 1st State Title under Coach Frank. Beat ESL in a game nobody gave us a shot in hell to beat with 0 D-1 players. Followed closely by 89, 90, 91, 96, 98, 99, 00, 02, 12, 13.

Worst 1995- MC Lost to Maine South after being flagged with a bad roughing the kicker call. It really wasn't because of the call that I was upset, I didn't even see the game. I was in Okinawa on a 6 month deployment in the Marines and before I left I heard about MC player Kevin Dowling passing away, a young man who I had the pleasure of knowing. I thought for sure they would win state that year. In the times before internet and cell phones I had to wait for my Dad to send me the newspaper clippings in the mail, which usually took 2 weeks to get to me, so sometime in mid December I found out they lost and how they did. Rest In Peace Kevin! Barda-Dowling Stadium was rocking this year for you!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Edgy posters! Count your blessings and enjoy your time with family and close friends. Appreciate all the fine men and women that protect our way of life. Especially those who won’t be home these holidays.

Watching TV and snacking on food all day.

2008 State Championship game against Geneva. The atmosphere was the best feeling and Terry Hawthorne’s dive from the 5 yard line for the first score was a heck of a play.

Reactions: Gene K. and Tez711
my mother's cheese dip for our relish tray. so smooth, so creamy. you'd never even know it's cheese.

our(shg) 2008 6a victory over lemont. (but really it was beating provi in the semis at provi. amazing game, amazing atmosphere. the nlp fans and coaches treated us like kings)

Hangin with family is a given, food wise, White Castle stuffing is a new family favorite.

2017 State title beating Lake Zurich in OT. 2015 title Championship was cool but I was sitting with my son instead of watching him in 2017.

I’m a stuffing guy. Gotta have stuffing with gravy. Don’t hate me.

My favorite game was in 1974 when GBN upset ESL.

Hoping my new favorite game is at 7pm Saturday
If it can’t be us, I’ll be on the other side of the field thinking of you, knowing exactly how out of your mind happy you are, and that will make me smile.

I don’t know who wins this game because they are both really good teams. The one thing I noticed about this years East team is they are really confident and have a swagger about them. This won’t be a easy game for either team.

I don’t know who wins this game because they are both really good teams. The one thing I noticed about this years East team is they are really confident and have a swagger about them. This won’t be a easy game for either team.
This will be the hardest game East has ever played.

Like everything about the traditional Thanksgiving meal. It's difficult to pick one thing.

My favorite championship game memory is last year's JCA win over Montini. Even though the naysayers question the road the Hilltoppers had to the finals, no one (with half a clue) should question the fact they were big underdogs against the Broncos. It's a team and game I won't soon forget. Not many, myself included, gave JC much of a chance of even making the playoffs. It took a big Week 9 win on the road against a very good ND team to even get there. After that game, the whole playoff journey had a surreal feel to it. Everything just seemed to click. From Keenan Hailey's injury and comeback and the inspiration it provided, the championship game was a fitting end to a story book run. There's nothing better in sports when the team you follow beats the odds and pulls off a shocking playoff run that leads to an unexpected championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT