ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about the Wing T

epicbret

Jan 27, 2005
Smart, athletic QB.
Undersized yet aggressive and mobile OL
Talented backs

What am I missing? I think we can do this. Yes.

Challenging to defend, especially when in an era (or area) when it is not seen much. Lots of misdirection, blocking with angles, late/hard pre-snap motion and potential play-action. Can force a defense with personnel and scheme tooled to defend open space to mix it up in the core with lots of bodies. Choosing to align a TE with a wingback to that side produces many gaps to account for. Multiple series types available from the concept. Once saw a HS team run it from a shotgun/spread formation and it was effective.

Timing, Timing, Timing!!! Need to have a disciplined OL and backs that can hit the hole quick!

If you can get it to work in September, it’ll work great in November.

Reactions: stl705
The wing T is really a formation, there is some different series you can run out of it. the Delaware was much more of the misdirection. Geneseo has run out of the formation since the late 60's, but they run mostly Belly and power. OL quick and low. I don't know if they still do it, but the OL used to come out of a four point stance, and up on their toes.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
What level of football?

Ran this back in the day at the youth level. One of the challenges you will have is that it's not what kids see on TV on Saturdays (and now Sundays). It's not spread, it's not shotgun, it's not sexy. Getting them to buy in will be a task. On the flip side, as others have said, defenses don't see it much. They won't have experience and you'll be at an advantage when you execute.

What level of football?

Ran this back in the day at the youth level. One of the challenges you will have is that it's not what kids see on TV on Saturdays (and now Sundays). It's not spread, it's not shotgun, it's not sexy. Getting them to buy in will be a task. On the flip side, as others have said, defenses don't see it much. They won't have experience and you'll be at an advantage when you execute.
High-school. CCL

I'm a big fan of the double wing offense. I got to experiment with it a bit during my single season on the sidelines.

I had a very freshman heavy JV team, but an OL made up of mostly sophomores, so we wanted to control clock and grind down our opponents. I had a good set of RBs, WBs, and a FB that did some pretty good work picking up their assignments and we were pretty successful with the offense.

The best memory of this is a PA FB Dive Rollout Vertical. We didnt pass the ball during the first three quarters vs Chicago Christian, but late in the 4th quarter we ran this play action for a huge touchdown that sealed the win for

Smart, athletic QB.
Undersized yet aggressive and mobile OL
Talented backs

What am I missing? I think we
I'm a big fan of the double wing offense. I got to experiment with it a bit during my single season on the sidelines.

I had a very freshman heavy JV team, but an OL made up of mostly sophomores, so we wanted to control clock and grind down our opponents. I had a good set of RBs, WBs, and a FB that did some pretty good work picking up their assignments and we were pretty successful with the offense.

The best memory of this is a PA FB Dive Rollout Vertical. We didnt pass the ball during the first three quarters vs Chicago Christian, but late in the 4th quarter we ran this play action for a huge touchdown that sealed the win for

Underrated feature of the double wing formation is that you can be run heavy but still have four receivers ready to run routes. If you have the right personnel pieces with two athletic ends, stud wingbacks that can run routes, and a QB that can complete some passes, you have a perfect combination to alternate power running with a nice passing game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT