ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Week 1

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
It's finally here.....game week. A very intriguing week 1 with some old conference foes meeting once again. Good luck to all teams and players this year.

Elmwood Park @ Reed-Custer - I know it's cliche to say "this game will tell us a lot about a team", but I think that saying fits better here than any other week 1 matchup. EP has been pretty bad the last couple of years. RC wants to continue their momentum and continue to show they can be competitive. If RC struggles with EP, I think that will be a sign of a rough season. If they can come out and handle them then it should be an indicator that RC has a shot of being decent this year. I will give RC the benefit of doubt until proven otherwise. I think RC wins by 2 scores. RC 35 EP 21

Morris @ Coal City - Love that CC isn't scared to keep Morris on their schedule. This rivalry needs to be a lock every year. Bad news for CC however is that Morris is just a step above them. It'll be a decent game at first but Morris pulls aways in the second half. Morris 38 CC 10

Herscher @ Charleston - It surprised me last year when Herscher beat Charleston (their only win), and then Charleston managed to rip off 4 wins at the end of the year. I have no idea what goes on down in Herscher, but it seems like numbers continue to be a problem for them. I think Herscher is the low point of the ICE this year and this could be their only shot at a win. However I am not sure they have enough to get a win here. Back and forth sloppy game. Charleston in a nail biter. Charlie 49 Herscher 45

Lisle @ Harvard - Lisle has taken it to an abysmal Harvard team the last few years. I don't see that trend to change as Lisle picks one up and will continue to look for the next 4 as the season rolls on. Give me the Lions in an easy win. Lisle 34 - Harvard 6

Manteno @ Sandwich - I haven't had much intel about Manteno, but I want them to be competitive once again. The rivalry with Peotone is so much better, Wilmo and them had a nice little Rivalry, it just makes the ICE better. Sandwich has their own issues in the program, and I think that will hurt them this week. A varsity speed game will be too much for a team with no varsity experience. Give me Manteno here with what could be one of their few high points of the season. Manteno 21 - Sandwich 10

Rantoul @ Peotone - Rantoul was pretty awful last year and I like Peotone to be a middle of the road ICE team per usual. The Will County Fair won't be enough to distract the Devils this week. Peotone wins big. Tone' 42 - Rantoul 7

East Peoria @ Streator - Neither team is good. However Streator has had their number each time they have played. Streator will need every win they can get and I think they are motivated to get this one. Streator 26 - EP 14

Wilmington @ Seneca - GOTW!!! This game was THE rivalry in the late 90's into early 2000's. This game will tell more about Seneca than Wilmo. Last year Seneca did well, however looking at their schedule last year, they really didn't beat anyone of note. I think they are a tough team, but they are not as good as I originally thought. I know they return some play makers, but Wilmo is tough, fast, and deep. I am so confident in the cats this week I will go out and say if this was at Becker Field, it would be a blowout. However it's not. SO instead of a blowout, I will just say it is a flat out butt kicking. Wilmo 35 - Seneca 14

There it is folks. Tell me I'm an idiot or don't.......I look forward to seeing how this season plays out.

Elmwood Park @ Reed-Custer
R-C is basically replacing every starting position, but the good thing for them is that their backups last year got tons of playing time. R-C should win handily, but if they don’t, it will be a long season. R-C by 20.

Herscher @ Charleston
FCHS aka HHS said Herscher should be improved. He’s a Herscher homer, but usually pretty candid. I’ll believe him. Herscher by a touchdown.

Lisle @ Harvard
Harvard has been brutal. Lisle has been decent. Lisle by 28.

Rantoul @ Peotone
See the Lisle @ Harvard “expert analysis” lol.
Peotone by 35.

East Peoria @ Streator
Streator should put up some occasional points with their QB who’s a really good player. Year after year, for whatever reason, they can’t really get anything going despite being the largest school in the league by far. Still enough to beat EP. Streator by 14.

Manteno @ Sandwich
Idk what happened to Manteno, but they’ve been in a tough patch for a few years. They were really young last year and should be at least slightly improved. Manteno by 8.

Morris @ Coal City
The only ICE school to lose week 1 will be the Coalers, but it will be nothing to be ashamed about. Morris is on a different level than the ICE and even a blowout loss won’t mean a ton as long as they stay healthy. Morris by 28.

Wilmington @ Seneca
Definitely game of the week. Both teams should be ranked in their respective classes. I will give Seneca a little more credit than @Wilmatucky. I was very impressed with Seneca last year and they returned a bunch. Seneca’s misdirection old school T formation offense was impressive. Wilmo machine keeps going and they also return a nice core from last year along with a solid junior class. I think Wilmo will get it done in the trenches and make just enough plays to come out on top. Wilmo by a TD.

Kicking off a new high school football season brings MUCH needed excitement to what appears to be a week one snoozer in the ICE.

Elmwood Park @ Reed-Custer - The new edition Comets enjoyed a lot of playing time in 2022 and now it's their time to shine. Braidwood 42-13.

Herscher @ Charleston - Herscher comes out inspired, but Charleston squeaks out the win 27-20.

Lisle @ Harvard - Harvard's woes continue into 2023 and this one is over at halftime. Lisle 40-7.

Rantoul @ Peotone - Nice tune up game for the Blue Devils. Running clock.

East Peoria @ Streator - The mystery that is Streator football handles an ugly EP 21-6.

Manteno @ Sandwich - Manteno travels to Sandy and wins this slopfest 19-12.

Morris @ Coal City - Kudos to the Coalers to keep scheduling the team with no name, but the Morris Whatevers are in full control of this one 42-14.

Wilmington @ Seneca - Looks like a good one on paper but...... the Cats defense is way too disciplined to bite on Seneca's misdirection and the mighty purple scrum right/scrum left Wilmington offense wears down the Irish midway thru the 3rd quarter and wins going away 42-7.

EP @ RC - we all know the Comets lose a ton from last season and Elmwood Park is typically a non-conference doormat for the ICE. I don't see that changing with the few extra weeks of practice the Comets got lost season. RC 20 EP 18

Herscher @ Charleston - the new Coach at Herscher has the ship heading in the right direction, numbers is always the first goal when starting a new program. Charleston has their longtime HC Halsey back and hearing there is some good things happening for the the Trojans. Charleston 38 Herscher 22

East Peoria vs. Streator - oh the mystery of Streator football rears it's head again. They have a great QB, a few athletes at WR but how hows the line play? This may be the only opportunity for a win by EP and got to go with tht Bulldogs. Streator 34 EP 22

Lisle @ Harvard - Lisle has a new coach and possibly a new system. Harvard also has a new coach. This one will come down to how each coaching staff is able to adjust during the game. Got to with the Lions in an ugly one. Lisle 16 Harvard 6

Rantoul @ Peotone - Peotone has been a mainstay in the top half of the ICE and Rantoul is typically at the bottom of the Illinois Prairie, which is usually pretty solid top to bottom but that won't help the Eagles. Rantoul has a new coach for I think the 3rd straight year. Peotone 40 Rantoul 12.

Manteno @ Sandwich - an old rivalry renewed and Sandwich has another one next week vs. Peotone. Not sure about Manteno, they were okay at the end of last season, but a friend of mine who lives in Sandwich said they are going to o be a playoff team. With not having a varsity program last year they only played JV but went 9-0. Sandwich 26 Manteno 21

Morris @ Coal City - a great rivalry but it's become one sided the past few years. That won't change but it won't hurt the Coalers chances of getting to the playoffs. Morris 45 Coal City 13

Wilmington @ Seneca - lots of anticipation for this game on both sides. Seneca was a solid team last year but their conference is typically pretty week. They held their own against Byron and return many of their key starters but they also lots some essential players. But QB returns and he is a game changer. Wilmington is always solid and enjoys a good week 1 challenge looking back at their week 1 games in recent history. Wilmington 34 Seneca 27

RC over Elmwood Park
Peotone over Rantoul
Charleston over Herscher
Lisle over Harvard
Morris over CC
Streator over EP
Manteno over Sandwich
Wilmington over Seneca

Manteno @ Sandwich still on?

I haven’t heard anything, but it’s awfully hot out there. Playing golf today maybe wasn’t my greatest idea ever.

Morris @ Coal City - Love that CC isn't scared to keep Morris on their schedule. This rivalry needs to be a lock every year. Bad news for CC however is that Morris is just a step above them. It'll be a decent game at first but Morris pulls aways in the second half. Morris 38 CC 10
They are a 4A school, should they really be afraid of playing a 4A/5A bubble team??

Some teams are afraid to play good competition. I think most would agree that Morris is a step above the Coalers.
Well when they are a 4A school playing in a mostly 3A conference where their toughest competition is a 2A school, playing "up" a notch one time shouldn't be a big deal, but rather expected..

It should be expected but it isn't the norm for some teams, so all I'm saying is props to them. A lot of teams schedule two cup cakes for their OOC slate just to get an easy wins.

It's gotta be a nightmare for AD's to schedule OOC games. Especially when you have to balance availability, competition, and travel.

To answer an earlier question from (I think) a different thread, I saw the FND week 1 preview, and Soucie has Seneca winning tonight. A lot of people picking Wilmo to win comfortably here. I think Wilmo will get it done, but it should be a good one.

Herscher @ Charleston
FCHS aka HHS said Herscher should be improved. He’s a Herscher homer, but usually pretty candid. I’ll believe him. Herscher by a touchdown.
I am 450 miles away, but that might be a stretch, have heard this will be Charlestons best team in awhile.. and Herscher will rely on a LOT of sophs.. but still think they will be better this year because of more depth..

I am 450 miles away, but that might be a stretch, have heard this will be Charlestons best team in awhile.. and Herscher will rely on a LOT of sophs.. but still think they will be better this year because of more depth..
Are you picking Charleston to win?

Lots of folks giving Seneca love tonight and I get it, I really do. But I think the Cats have a chip on their shoulder this year and get back to their old ways and play like a machine.

Some teams are afraid to play good competition. I think most would agree that Morris is a step above the Coalers.
Morris was a step above but Coal City has nothing to worry about. Their run D was solid. May need to develop more of a passing game but overall they didn't just lay down, despite the score. Morris benefitted from some short fields after special teams miscues. With Wilmo losing, the conference should come down to CC/Wilmo game.

Coalertown44?
Sorry fellas off to a late start on the message boards this year. Rough night for the Coalers. Played the run good but offense was very stagnant. Couldn’t get a body on the second level and Morris plays a 3-4 with some athletic linebackers

I knew Seneca was good but not that good. Kudos to them but not surprised that they wouldn’t make that a two year series. This is the group they have been waiting for

CC needs to get a bounce back win against Canton next week

Sorry fellas off to a late start on the message boards this year. Rough night for the Coalers. Played the run good but offense was very stagnant. Couldn’t get a body on the second level and Morris plays a 3-4 with some athletic linebackers

I knew Seneca was good but not that good. Kudos to them but not surprised that they wouldn’t make that a two year series. This is the group they have been waiting for

CC needs to get a bounce back win against Canton next week
Coal City will be fine. Playing Morris is a good test for them and like you said, offense need to find some balance. Defense is solid and will keep them in games. Gotta work on those punt snaps.

When was the last Wilmington last non conference regular season loss?
If you don't count division cross overs (or pseudo cross overs) from the old I-8, it's been quite a while. There were many years that they didn't play anyone else. Lost a week 2 to CC in 2018. CC was different division.

If you go way back and look at non league teams, the last time they lost a reg season non conference game was to Hall in 2001.

RC did what they have done before against Elmwood Park. Not sure this game told us anything about RC.

Morris did what everyone thought they would do against CC. CC is the same team they always are. Good defense, Bad Offense. They will still be a contender in the ICE.

I hate to say it but Herscher is in trouble this season. Gonna be a long season. Hopefully the new turf will give these guys some life.

Lisle beat a really bad Harvard team. Another one where I’m not sure we learned anything about Lisle.

Peotone beat up on a weak opponent. I believe they are a good team but not sure they are good enough to compete with the top ICE teams.

Streator once again put up some points and beat down a bad opponent. Maybe this game will give the Bulldogs some confidence and help them get it going over there.

Manteno TBA

Seneca with a huge win over Wilmington. Both are great teams. Really thought this Wilmington team had a chance to go undefeated. They will rebound and probably get another chance against the Irish in the playoffs.

Overall good week in the ICE. Very interesting see the consensus top 2 teams both lose in week 1. Both against great opponents but still odd to see.

Reactions: doctor_d
Week 1 finals

Streator 74, E Peoria 29
Peotone 56, Rantoul 6
Reed-Custer 63, Elmwood Park 14
Lisle 28, Harvard 7

Seneca 27, Wilmo 21
Morris 43, CC 3
Charleston 42, Herscher 13

Manteno @ Sandwich today

Wish I could have been at the Wilmington game to see how both teams looked. Plus who doesn't love a little Seneca Harley cruise. 6-1 so far on predictions but I think the other results were pretty easy to predict.

Didn't think RC would win that big and didn't think Morris would win that big either though. Maybe the rest of the season will be harder to predict. We shall see what today's game brings.

Wish I could have been at the Wilmington game to see how both teams looked.
Fairly evenly matched up front. Both teams have multiple quality ball carriers. Seneca offense, if you’ve never seen it, is just really really impressive with how they hide the ball.
Seneca hit a couple key pass plays to extend scoring drives. Wilmington tried a couple pass plays, but they were on obvious passing situations. Personally I might like to see them open things up a bit when they are going against an evenly matched team that they can’t just pound, but that’s just my uneducated opinion.
Seneca’s QB/DB is a stud and will be all state consideration.
I hope they meet again down the road. It was a really good game, despite the outcome.

Reactions: Gene K.
Considering Sandwich didn't even have a team last year, seems like a really bad loss
Agree. I had read on FND that Sandwich JV was undefeated last year, but a 20 point loss shows that Manteno is still on the struggle bus.

ICE goes 4-4 in week 1

Sandwich knocked off Manteno 34-14

That is flat out embarrassing 😳 I thought Manteno would beat Herscher this year, but now I don't know.

Good to see RC n Peotone off to another good start.

That is flat out embarrassing 😳 I thought Manteno would beat Herscher this year, but now I don't know.

Let’s see what Peotone can do against them now. Will be a very telling game IMO.

I wouldn't call it embarrassing quite yet. I've been hearing this Sandwich team isn't bad and is capable of making the playoffs. I expect this week against Peotone we will see if Sandwich is the real deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT