ADVERTISEMENT

Swagger High @ MC

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
Are the MC faithful happy with the new look on offense? Are the Gately dogs already cooking? How much did MC show against Hope? Will MS be able to slow down the run?
So many ?

Thoughts?

MS 28
MC 17

Reactions: PRokie
I watched MS on Friday night on TV and it just looked like they could explode for big plays and long scores. When they spread it out and run the QB up the middle it is tough to stop. He also had some good throws that were dropped. MC will have new looks on offense and I like what Rad brings to the table. O line will need a big game to keep the running attack moving. Hopefully the bus ride on a Friday night and the parents and fans being wanded down as they enter will throw MS off a little.

Hope I’m wrong but I’ll say MS 35-MC 31

I watched MS on Friday night on TV and it just looked like they could explode for big plays and long scores. When they spread it out and run the QB up the middle it is tough to stop. He also had some good throws that were dropped. MC will have new looks on offense and I like what Rad brings to the table. O line will need a big game to keep the running attack moving. Hopefully the bus ride on a Friday night and the parents and fans being wanded down as they enter will throw MS off a little.

Oh the joys of Gately!

MS 28
MC 17

MS4EVER:

I tend to agree with your prognostication, if only on the margin of victory. I think the single-greatest advantage MS has in this game versus MC is coaching.

I watched MS and GW on the Comcast re-play over the weekend with great interest. Although I was aware of the outcome, which often can be anti-climactic, I remained eager to see how GW played in a game revolving around exacting revenge.

As difficult as it is to determine a team's fate only one game into the season, I have to say this is only a slightly above-average MS team. It is, however, MS so they will gradually improve over the season. I saw the MS qb, Inserra, overcome some early jitters to throw a nice, deep ball, some decent speed at running back, and decent speed on the MS defense.

While there are many ways to analyze the final score, I can say it could have been a wider margin in MS' favor had the MS wr not dropped a sure td early on in the first. Clearly, the MS wr turned upfield too early, before he had a grip on the ball. Conversely, the game almost certainly been tighter had GW not put the ball on the turf twice in the first half, both of which resulted in MS jumping out to a 21-0 lead. Similarly, had the GW qb been a bit more accurate, GW could have scored early on a pass play in which the GW wideout clearly had two steps on the MS db. Furthermore, GW absolutely killed itself with several agonizing personal-foul penalties. One can ruminate at sleep-inducing length over this, and can finesse the outcome as they please, but take away these "could haves" and we still have a 35-14 GW win.

Although I have not seen MC play yet this year, according to an e-mail exchange with a knowledgeable if not disreputable MC fan on this site, MC has a very solid defense. From newspaper articles and posts on the board, MC appears to have adjusted to a new coach and new offense with few, if any, hitches.

Still, though, I must give the advantage to MS for two reasons. First: MS played a superior opponent in week one and it will better prepared them for the Caravan; no Hetlet-coached GW team is ever a pushover. Second: Inserra is the master. The son of a b*tch can coach under any circumstance, at any time, and at any stadium.

MS4EVER: I ask you gently inform Mr. Inserra my reference to him as a SOB is done with both endearment and admiration, but a soupcon of lingering frustration.

Are the MC faithful happy with the new look on offense? Are the Gately dogs already cooking? How much did MC show against Hope? Will MS be able to slow down the run?
So many ?

Thoughts?

MS 28
MC 17

im torn like that one song from 1999.

Am I the only one who is annoyed by "Swagger High" as a nickname?

yes. never fight with a name given to a team by the DSR. Say you are sorry.

if you recall, it started off as a scoffing. it was the result of a few MS players going all nuts-o after a title win.

as time heals, it became an endearing name for a team that did carry a lot of swagger...and half having fun at their own expense, given by a MS fan.

yes. never fight with a name given to a team by the DSR. Say you are sorry.

if you recall, it started off as a scoffing. it was the result of a few MS players going all nuts-o after a title win.

as time heals, it became an endearing name for a team that did carry a lot of swagger...and half having fun at their own expense, given by a MS fan.

I could not have answered it better myself.
Long live Swagger High!!

MS4EVER:

I tend to agree with your prognostication, if only on the margin of victory. I think the single-greatest advantage MS has in this game versus MC is coaching.

I watched MS and GW on the Comcast re-play over the weekend with great interest. Although I was aware of the outcome, which often can be anti-climactic, I remained eager to see how GW played in a game revolving around exacting revenge.

As difficult as it is to determine a team's fate only one game into the season, I have to say this is only a slightly above-average MS team. It is, however, MS so they will gradually improve over the season. I saw the MS qb, Inserra, overcome some early jitters to throw a nice, deep ball, some decent speed at running back, and decent speed on the MS defense.

While there are many ways to analyze the final score, I can say it could have been a wider margin in MS' favor had the MS wr not dropped a sure td early on in the first. Clearly, the MS wr turned upfield too early, before he had a grip on the ball. Conversely, the game almost certainly been tighter had GW not put the ball on the turf twice in the first half, both of which resulted in MS jumping out to a 21-0 lead. Similarly, had the GW qb been a bit more accurate, GW could have scored early on a pass play in which the GW wideout clearly had two steps on the MS db. Furthermore, GW absolutely killed itself with several agonizing personal-foul penalties. One can ruminate at sleep-inducing length over this, and can finesse the outcome as they please, but take away these "could haves" and we still have a 35-14 GW win.

Although I have not seen MC play yet this year, according to an e-mail exchange with a knowledgeable if not disreputable MC fan on this site, MC has a very solid defense. From newspaper articles and posts on the board, MC appears to have adjusted to a new coach and new offense with few, if any, hitches.

Still, though, I must give the advantage to MS for two reasons. First: MS played a superior opponent in week one and it will better prepared them for the Caravan; no Hetlet-coached GW team is ever a pushover. Second: Inserra is the master. The son of a b*tch can coach under any circumstance, at any time, and at any stadium.

MS4EVER: I ask you gently inform Mr. Inserra my reference to him as a SOB is done with both endearment and admiration, but a soupcon of lingering frustration.

I agree with pretty much everything that you wrote. By MS standards the offense will be average but the defense will be above average. Thanks for the input. Always a good read when you post.

Reactions: PRokie and MWittman
I bleed brown and white, and I believe Jordan Lynch could be a college head coach someday. However come Friday night, he receives a slice of humble pie, which will make MC a better team in the long run.

MS 34
MC 13

Hopefully I’m wrong...

Where's Dean? I'm interested in his take. He's been too quiet regarding all things MC since Lenti's departure. Someone needs to smoke him out.

Where's Dean? I'm interested in his take. He's been too quiet regarding all things MC since Lenti's departure. Someone needs to smoke him out.

counting up his tallies so that he can rightly answer the Wilt Chamberlin question.

Nothing like a bunch of grown me sitting around on a Monday night...

Reactions: MS4EVER and pjjp
I don’t know if MC is ready for MS just yet but it’s going to be competitive. I’ve always said this and many close to the MC program will agree, I think Dave Lenti was the better coach of the two Lenti brothers and he’s still there running the defense. MC strength is its defense and Dave is a genius. They returned 3 starters in the defensive backfield so that will help. They had 4 picks against Hope and Hopes QB is D-1 talent. I know MS strength is their D as well and with MC breaking in a new offense, being week 2, I’ll give the edge to MS this early in the season. MC will get some yards from Rad and Kyle though. I suck at predicting scores so I’ll refrain but I say MS and also hope I’m wrong.

Oh the joys of Gately!
Plus being a holiday weekend, the bus ride down should be joyfullly long!

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2018] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 21, [2018] Maine South (Park Ridge, IL) 20

Reactions: Bowie50
I'm not good at predicting games but I think MC will be very competitive in this game. New coach, new offensive system, and with the ga,e being played at Gately leads me to believe that this could be the making of an upset.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
What's annoying is MS4ever referring to MS as Swagger High.
Also--I thought the Flyer were the original Swagger HS.

I think it was Flyer first - but that was way before I started posting on the boards so I don’t really know.

Maybe it’s like Texas A&M and the 12th man.

Both A&M and Seattle SeaHawks use it and it works fine (though I think The SeaHawks did a little Somin” Somin’ for the Aggies if you know what I mean).

What about this:
ESL is Southern Illinois Swagger High and
MS is Northern Illinois Swagger High

Now if MS starting using the “All Gas no Brakes” tagline........ it would just be plain plagerisum!!;) and no one would like MS anymore (except MS4Ever and Prokie;))

MC did have a Linebacker who left for IMG last winter return to MC. I don’t think he is eligible under the practice rule until week 3 though. I know he didn’t play last weekend. He’s a good player with good size that will help, but they would have been fine without him too.

the LB who came back, came back of a reason he is the 3rd best LB MC may have, maybe #4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT