ADVERTISEMENT

Who Starts at MC?

Wittymoniker1

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2007
La Grange Park, IL
I have no injury reports or inside info at this point. If QB Jett cannot play at MC, then who should be the starter?

We have Junior Bonner who appears to be a tough runner, not afraid of contact kind of player who probably doesn't have an arm like SR Jett.

We have Soph Armbruster who appears to have a more accurate arm, but doesn't run as well as Junior Bonner.

I guess it depends on the game plan.

I am not a real coach. I am only an armchair coach. As Armchair Witty sees it, Cascia should just run the hell out of the ball until the "cows come home." Thank you Coach Angsten for that quote.

Three or two yards and a cloud of the damn dust--Michigan Wolverine style. I don't know how many linemen can line up, but put seven out there with three in the backfield. Bruiser in DJ, speedster in Hermann and an immense O-Lineman who's OK with knocking someone out. If this is the case, then Junior Bonner should get the nod. His style fits this type of offense. And if MC is having some problems and adjusts, then go back to the regular offense, which may suit Soph Armbruster. Who knows!

This may sound crazy, I know that. But, Cascia has nothing to lose here. In the last three encounters with MC while SR running their normal offense, there were many TOs. Rita cannot afford to turn the ball over at all. It may fail at first, at second or whatever, but time is being spent from the clock, MC's offense is not on the field, SR's defense is resting and the play-action pass and TE pop is in effect!

One never knows. Bruiser DJ or speedster Hermann may just very well break one or two. It's high school football. Keep with it.

Even if SR doesn't have enough depth on the O-line, she can still rotate some players for a play or two. Keep them fresh, if possible. Just keep pounding the damn ball into oblivion.

Again, there's nothing to lose here. Cascia is the HEAVY underdog. MC's QB says they're not going to lose another game. His words are convincing, I must admit, but, I will repeat there is nothing to lose here. Throw 'em for a loop. Prepare something MC has never seen before!

Get creative--even if it means being the most boring offense on land. We all know when a team gains confidence.

In the end, good luck to all the teams in the playoffs. Let's hope no injuries. If there are some, let's hope they are not serious.

I have no injury reports or inside info at this point. If QB Jett cannot play at MC, then who should be the starter?

We have Junior Bonner who appears to be a tough runner, not afraid of contact kind of player who probably doesn't have an arm like SR Jett.

We have Soph Armbruster who appears to have a more accurate arm, but doesn't run as well as Junior Bonner.

I am not a real coach. I am only an armchair coach. As Armchair Witty sees it, Cascia should just run the hell out of the ball until the "cows come home." Thank you Coach Angsten for that quote.

Three or two yards and a cloud of the damn dust--Michigan Wolverine style. I don't know how many linemen can line up, but put seven out there with three in the backfield. Bruiser in DJ, speedster in Hermann and an immense O-Lineman who's OK with knocking someone out. If this is the case, then Junior Bonner should get the nod. His style fits this type of offense. And if MC is having some problems and adjusts, then go back to the regular offense, which may suit Soph Armbruster. Who knows!

This may sound crazy, I know that. But, Cascia has nothing to lose here. In the last three encounters with MC while SR running their normal offense, there were many TOs. Rita cannot afford to turn the ball over at all. It may fail at first, at second or whatever, but time is being spent from the clock, MC's offense is not on the field, SR's defense is resting and the play-action pass and TE pop is in effect!

One never knows. Bruiser DJ or speedster Hermann may just very well break one or two. It's high school football. Keep with it.

Even if SR doesn't have enough depth on the O-line, she can still rotate some players for a play or two. Keep them fresh, if possible. Just keep pounding the damn ball into oblivion.

Again, there's nothing to lose here. Cascia is the HEAVY underdog. MC's QB says they're not going to lose another game. His words are convincing, I must admit, but, I will repeat there is nothing to lose here. Throw 'em for a loop. Prepare something MC has never seen before!

Get creative--even if it means being the most boring offense on land. We all know when a team gains confidence.

In the end, good luck to all the teams in the playoffs. Let's hope no injuries. If there are some, let's hope they are not serious.
@Wittymoniker1 took the words right out of my mouth. I echo the same gameplan. Rita has to limit their turnovers. MC is not the same team as last season. Same goes for Rita, but they have to play mistake free football.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wittymoniker1

I have no doubt that SR will score vs MC. As you said they have nothing to lose and I’m sure they will open up the playbook this week. But a lot of teams open up the playbook and have nothing to lose when they play MC….MC is used to this and make on field adjustments. The main issue I would be worried about is the defense….SR has offensive weapons and losing their main QB isn’t a huge set back, he’s a serviceable QB but the offense isn’t built around him, so they have weapons and will score, but their defense is not last years. If they score 21 can they hold MC to less then that? BR ran through them for 41 and St. Francis for 31. Scoring won’t be the issue as much as stopping MC will be for them.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that SR will score vs MC. As you said they have nothing to lose and I’m sure they will open up the playbook this week. But a lot of teams open up the playbook and have nothing to lose when they play MC….MC is used to this and make on field adjustments. The main issue I would be worried about is the defense….SR has offensive weapons and losing their main QB isn’t a huge set back, he’s a serviceable QB but the offense isn’t built around him, so they have weapons and will score, but their defense is not last years. If they score 21 can they hold MC to less then that? BR ran through them for 41 and St. Francis for 31. Scoring won’t be the issue as much as stopping MC will be for them.
Scoring will be an issue for Rita as well as their defense holding MC, which you pointed out accurately in giving up 41 to BR and 31 to SF.

True, Rita do have some weapons, but in her last encounter with MC, Cascia only 7 points--not much going on there. I don't know for sure, but didn't Cascia score 21 out of her 28 points against St. Francis from her special teams and defense? Cascia scored 14 points against a St. Laurence team not known for their defense.

Rita possibly scoring 21 points in a playoff game at MC, who is very motivated after losing to LA? That's going to be very tall order, especially with their backup QB.

Both offense and defense are an issue at this point--both worrying me. That's why I am positing the strategy I described in my initial post to start this thread.

Last edited:
@McCaravan and @Wittymoniker1 both have a pretty good pulse on the game.

The weird thing is the St. Rita D has had a few very good games. Starting in week 3 vs Joliet Catholic, they basically held them to 3 points for 46 minutes after the first drive fumble or pick gave the ball to Catholic at the St. Rita 8~ or so yardline (the use of the tilde should point out the “or so” part of the statement; grammar people been sweeping through these threads, have to be careful😂). Catholic punched in their only TD of the night at the 10~ minute mark of the first quarter.

Week 4 they played the run decently vs MC besides the half dozen missed tackles on the always dangerous Densmore sweep but the other excellent playmakers were held under their season averages on that night. And I get it, obviously, Mt. Carmel didn’t need it to be a big night on the ground so that can explain away those game stat anomalies.

And again in week 6, they held Loyola to their lowest output of the season, 21, with 7 coming off a 90+ yard drive that took a dozen plays and 14 coming from very short fields due to a blocked punt and a muffed punt (one started inside St. Rita 15~, and the other inside St. Rita 30~).

But boy did the wheels come off vs. St. Francis (more pass D in that one but the Spartans ran it decently to compliment the pass and keep front 7 honest), did fine vs St. Laurence before and after Ball’s late 1st quarter or early second quarter injury and then a complete defensive meltdown that many were able to see firsthand vs a back-against-the-wall team that delivered their best team performance this year.

So I can’t explain it. Maybe the injuries can explain it. And I don’t know who is available come Friday night. Great win by Loyola Saturday but the Mt. Carmel offense is by far the most difficult offense to gameplan against on the St. Rita schedule bar none. That’s no slight to Loyola, I would think they would agree. You have to respect all 6 ball handlers at all times. There are no wasted time or downs. There is no simple 3 yard dive in their gameplan. And if they do a simple one hole dive, they expect to take it to the house and they got the ballers that can take it to the house. So fkn dangerous.

The St. Rita offense must help the D with 1st downs, and no turnovers unless it’s a 50 yard interception on a one on one attempt to Maxson then just pretend it was a punt. But back to the Defense, the resume is spotty. If they played like they did in a handful of games, we can have a proper, respectable outcome. If they play like the other tough-to-look-at-weeks, then it could be running clock city.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomloner

The weird thing is the St. Rita D has had a few very good games. Starting in week 3 vs Joliet Catholic, they basically held them to 3 points for 46 minutes after the first drive fumble or pick gave the ball to Catholic at the St. Rita 8~ or so yardline (the use of the tilde should point out the “or so” part of the statement; grammar people been sweeping through these threads, have to be careful😂). Catholic punched in their only TD of the night at the 10~ minute mark of the first quarter.

Week 4 they played the run decently vs MC besides the half dozen missed tackles on the always dangerous Densmore sweep but the other excellent playmakers were held under their season averages on that night. And I get it, obviously, Mt. Carmel didn’t need it to be a big night on the ground so that can explain away those game stat anomalies.

And again in week 6, they held Loyola to their lowest output of the season, 21, with 7 coming off a 90+ yard drive that took a dozen plays and 14 coming from very short fields due to a blocked punt and a muffed punt (one started inside St. Rita 15~, and the other inside St. Rita 30~).

But boy did the wheels come off vs. St. Francis (more pass D in that one but the Spartans ran it decently to compliment the pass and keep front 7 honest), did fine vs St. Laurence before and after Ball’s late 1st quarter or early second quarter injury and then a complete defensive meltdown that many were able to see firsthand vs a back-against-the-wall team that delivered their best team performance this year.

So I can’t explain it. Maybe the injuries can explain it. And I don’t know who is available come Friday night. Great win by Loyola Saturday but the Mt. Carmel offense is by far the most difficult offense to gameplan against on the St. Rita schedule bar none. That’s no slight to Loyola, I would think they would agree. You have to respect all 6 ball handlers at all times. There are no wasted time or downs. There is no simple 3 yard dive in their gameplan. And if they do a simple one hole dive, they expect to take it to the house and they got the ballers that can take it to the house. So fkn dangerous.

The St. Rita offense must help the D with 1st downs, and no turnovers unless it’s a 50 yard interception on a one on one attempt to Maxson then just pretend it was a punt. But back to the Defense, the resume is spotty. If they played like they did in a handful of games, we can have a proper, respectable outcome. If they play like the other tough-to-look-at-weeks, then it could be running clock city.

It was more than missed tackles on the jet sweep. MC put on a stalk blocking clinic that night. The WRs and Dupree had Rita defenders locked up on the perimeter and Densmore wasn't contested. That can't happen again. They also can't cover Dupree with a LB and need better play from the safeties.

It was more than missed tackles on the jet sweep. MC put on a stalk blocking clinic that night. The WRs and Dupree had Rita defenders locked up on the perimeter and Densmore wasn't contested. That can't happen again. They also can't cover Dupree with a LB and need better play from the safeties.
Great catch. Mt. Carmel skill players do very well in blocking for their teammates that’s for sure.

As usual, it's a detailed and reasoned analysis. Just curious, though, who do you think should start? Junior Bonner or Soph Armbruster. What can the offense do?

As usual, it's a detailed and reasoned analysis. Just curious, though, who do you think should start? Junior Bonner or Soph Armbruster. What can the offense do?
Is Jett out for sure? I haven’t heard anything on my end. Either way, QB can’t have any turnovers unless it’s a 40 yard deep ball, then just treat it like a punt.

QB will have to make your basic throws to keep D honest. I don’t mind your double lead offense but you might not get as far as you want until you force MC to pull a defender out of the box. The key is first downs, rest the SR D because MC O is dynamite with so many weapons.

I think Soph Armbruster and the Junior Bonner can make the throws. The staff sees them everyday. One thing I do know, Bonner is a tough athlete so I hope they have some packages for him no matter who takes the majority of the snaps. Like you said above, nothing to lose.

Reactions: Gene K.
Is Jett out for sure? I haven’t heard anything on my end. Either way, QB can’t have any turnovers unless it’s a 40 yard deep ball, then just treat it like a punt.

QB will have to make your basic throws to keep D honest. I don’t mind your double lead offense but you might not get as far as you want until you force MC to pull a defender out of the box. The key is first downs, rest the SR D because MC O is dynamite with so many weapons.

I think Soph Armbruster and the Junior Bonner can make the throws. The staff sees them everyday. One thing I do know, Bonner is a tough athlete so I hope they have some packages for him no matter who takes the majority of the snaps. Like you said above, nothing to lose.
I’d imagine you’d want to pound DJ all day to keep the MC offense on the sidelines? Obviously the QB has to make some plays to keep the defense honest. As a humble observer I’d say the Oline and DJ against the MC front 7-8?

I don’t know.

The greatness of playing Mt. Carmel is the absolutely fantastic speed and fundamental tackling ability by all 11 defenders, it’s like 14 of them are out there. So I’ve always mentioned if you’re outmanned 11v11 maybe you have to go to a 1v1 game or 3v3 game. I’d have the Mt. Carmel D tell St. Rita what to run. If that means 20 targets to Maxson so be it. If you can be successful passing the ball and they lighten up the box then pound DJ.

But the problem is that you can be perfect in your playcalling and the young men can be solid to very good on the execution but Mt. Carmel’s talent could still make it all look very ugly and the postgame here will be filled with should’ve ran DJ more, or should’ve got Nick Herman more touches or why didn’t you go to Maxson more even though the gameplan and effort was sound but you just happen to run into a brown and white buzz saw Friday night.

And remember, the game is a playoff game at Mt. Carmel so I know they don’t mind and would wholeheartedly accept if some touch DPIs are called Friday night if Maxson isn’t allowed to go after a catchable ball by any DBs playing the WR instead of the ball.😉

In the earlier game with St. Rita healthy, MC had a lopsided victory. With or without the starting QB playing for St. Rita I’d like to see some minor changes for this game. I’d like to see Herman and Stewart in the backfield together, not for a few plays but all night long. Having them alternating didn’t work the first time let’s try something different. Having DJ on the sidelines on 2nd down and bringing him on 3rd and 3 isn’t working especially from 7 yards deep. Even Helen Keller can see that (added for humor). Also I’d like to most snaps from under center. Defenses are getting to much time too react. I think as the season has gone along the play calling has gotten slower looking for that perfect call. I hate all of these teams using sign language nonsense sending in plays. I also want to go with the play called more often then not. Watching the LA/MC game I see a lot of getting to the line of scrimmage and them the QB steps back to get a new play call based upon the defensive formation. And when he gets a new play? The defense jumps into a new formation. St. Rita has a abundance of WR’s. Rotate the WR closest to the St. Rita sideline with the play call and go with it.

With MC being such a huge favorite in this game I’d ask the all the players to play a small game within the big game. Don’t worry about who’s hurt or who is not playing. Play your part in your game. WR’s don’t take off any plays. If it’s running play block like it’s the last play you’ll ever play. The 1st quarter of the BR game was the worst football St. Rita has played in a long time. Clean up all the other stuff and at least St. Rita can give them a decent game. Either way they have a month of football left.

While I’ll be rooting for St. Rita to win I won’t bet the 457 plan money on it. But I think they will beat the spread.

And if the Soph QB for St Rita, Armbruster, gets snaps, and with Mt. Carmel’s JR QB being Elliot, that would be two former Pioneers leading their respective teams.

I’d imagine you’d want to pound DJ all day to keep the MC offense on the sidelines? Obviously the QB has to make some plays to keep the defense honest. As a humble observer I’d say the Oline and DJ against the MC front 7-8?
eireog,

I hear you, my friend. Rita's a big underdog, and I am just trying to find ways to defeat a juggernaut. Just trying to think out of the box, but resistance may be futile.

I've wanted 1-32 seeding for a long time, and if SR has to face her rival in R1, then so be it. It's how the cards played out this year. Rita had a great draw two years ago, while BR/MC duked it out.

The boomerang is making its way back.

Reactions: eireog and MS4EVER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT