ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Championship Pick 'Em! With Bonus CCL Finals Pick!

GhostOfTheGhhost

May 14, 2018
We've finally come to this. The last CPL vs CPL game of the year. In reality, it should be happening on a Thursday afternoon at a stadium without lights, but I digress. On to the picks!

Kenwood vs. Whitney Young 12pm Saturday at Lane
I'd say this is not the matchup I would have called at the beginning year for the CPL Championship. Of course, in the CPL you don't blink an eye when a team will forfeit two games in back to back weeks, then come back and win big over a previously undefeated team....ANYTHING can happen in the CPL. But this one? No chance. Should be a glorious late fall day at Lane Stadium. Bathrooms not working, and I'm betting the concessions will be open late...if at all. Real playoff atmosphere...But at the end of the day, this is the final CPL game of the year. And, Whitney is playing. So, it only seems appropriate to sing..

Bittersweet memories –
That is all I'm taking with me
So good-bye
Please don't cry:
We both know I'm not what you, you need

And I... will always love you CPL Foootballlllll
I... will always love you
You, CPL, oooooo

Wood!

Marist vs. St. Rita 7pm Friday at St. Rita

I'll fully admit I don't catch a lot of Prep Bowl games in person. However, I do remember catching St. Rita play Taft a few years back at Gately. It was sunny. It was freezing. Gately Dogs were on point. Those dudes had the BBQ fired up in the north end zone. It was a great day for Football. Unless you were Taft. St. Rita got up early and never took the foot off the gas. Rita went on to lose in the state championship next year to Rochester. It's why I never understand these CCL teams that choose not to play in the prep bowl playoffs, you can't tell me those practices for the entire month of November weren't important in developing that young Rita team for next year. Plus, I can't imagine making a choice not to play football for a few more weeks with my team. I guess if you don't want to play, you don't want to play... I will just dance with someone who loves me...

Clock strikes upon the hour
And the sun begins to fade
Still enough time to figure out
How to chase my blues away

I've done alright up 'till now
It's the light of day that shows me how
And when the night falls, loneliness calls

Oh, I wanna dance with somebody
I wanna feel the heat with somebody
Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody
With somebody who loves to play football...

Rita!

I was at that Taft game. Unfortunately for Taft their QB/punter got hurt in the first series of the game. I thought St. Rita took their foot off the gas very early in the game. Close to 80 players got some snaps. Kaleb Brown, as a freshman, got his first varsity TD. When they lost their best player early in the game Taft was forced to play the entire game on the wrong side of the 50. I was very disappointed that the CPS did not ask the City of Chicago to have a paramedic team assigned to the game as Gatley is a CPS Facility. The Taft QB’s family had to take the middle seat out of a van to take the player to the hospital.

As far as playing in the Prep Bowl it was a no brainer for St. Rita. “Tradition Never Graduates” is more than a slogan at St. Rita. Last week the Sophomore QB only really played the 1st quarter, but he looked a lot more comfortable in the pocket. As far as the Marist game St. Rita may be the underdog here. In the 2nd Mount Carmel game DJ Stewart was tackled and when the pile separated it was apparent, he was bigger than 2 or 3 of the offensive line men. Losing the starting QB was a big loss but so were the other players. While tradition might not graduate but players do. The kicker from last year went to Alabama the DE and a safety to Illinois, a LB to Minnesota and his twin brother to Dayton, an OL to Fordham and the list goes on. 13 seniors from last year are playing college football. Looking at the underclassmen the LB’s coming back next year should be a strength. WR’s and the QB should be good to go also.

So thanks to Coach Hopkins and the staff for not jumping out of the Prep Bowl.

I was at that Taft game. Unfortunately for Taft their QB/punter got hurt in the first series of the game. I thought St. Rita took their foot off the gas very early in the game. Close to 80 players got some snaps. Kaleb Brown, as a freshman, got his first varsity TD. When they lost their best player early in the game Taft was forced to play the entire game on the wrong side of the 50. I was very disappointed that the CPS did not ask the City of Chicago to have a paramedic team assigned to the game as Gatley is a CPS Facility. The Taft QB’s family had to take the middle seat out of a van to take the player to the hospital.

As far as playing in the Prep Bowl it was a no brainer for St. Rita. “Tradition Never Graduates” is more than a slogan at St. Rita. Last week the Sophomore QB only really played the 1st quarter, but he looked a lot more comfortable in the pocket. As far as the Marist game St. Rita may be the underdog here. In the 2nd Mount Carmel game DJ Stewart was tackled and when the pile separated it was apparent, he was bigger than 2 or 3 of the offensive line men. Losing the starting QB was a big loss but so were the other players. While tradition might not graduate but players do. The kicker from last year went to Alabama the DE and a safety to Illinois, a LB to Minnesota and his twin brother to Dayton, an OL to Fordham and the list goes on. 13 seniors from last year are playing college football. Looking at the underclassmen the LB’s coming back next year should be a strength. WR’s and the QB should be good to go also.

So thanks to Coach Hopkins and the staff for not jumping out of the Prep Bowl.
For there not have a unit assigned to the game is a huge screw up by CPS. I've worked as the Fire Marshal at several Prep Bowls at Soldiers Field. We would have a unit assigned to the game and a second would be there until there was need for them to leave.

For there not have a unit assigned to the game is a huge screw up by CPS. I've worked as the Fire Marshal at several Prep Bowls at Soldiers Field. We would have a unit assigned to the game and a second would be there until there was need for them to leave.
What do you expect with the joke Grand Puba running it?

What do you expect with the joke Grand Puba running it?
CPS Sports Admin is easily compared to a clown car. Filled with plenty of people that don't seemingly do much of anything. A perfect bureaucracy - if you appreciate that sort of thing. I have a hard time believing that there is any one person who has a disproportionate control of anything. Who are you actually referring to with this reference?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT