ADVERTISEMENT

St Louis papers coverage of MC/ ESL

And no mention of Carmel losing their biggest weapon for more than half the game to injury - also part of the game.
And since these stories were written (quite well I might add) by reporters from the East St. Louis area, they and their readers don't care what injuries took place for Mt. Carmel. The story was not about the Caravan.

Got a beef about no mention of the Mt. Carmel RB? Take it up with the Southtown and their coverage.

And no mention of Carmel losing their biggest weapon for more than half the game to injury - also part of the game.

Why would an STL paper that didn't mention ESL injuries - mention a Mount Carmel injury?

Man, MC fans are really something.

Apparently these officials were the same ones who blew the Fenwick semi-final last year.
Fenwick blew the semi-final last year. Officals make mistakes, but as a coaching staff, you would have to rip me off the field to make sure that call was fixed to the right call. Coaches did not fight hard enough to have them realize the mistake. Dont blame losses on officials, they are part of the game. Look at all the plays during a game that YOU could have done differently. Not one call makes that big of a difference. Coaches and fans get mad cause they think that ONE call was at a time a team was moing or scoring the ball.

Fenwick blew the semi-final last year. Officals make mistakes, but as a coaching staff, you would have to rip me off the field to make sure that call was fixed to the right call. Coaches did not fight hard enough to have them realize the mistake. Dont blame losses on officials, they are part of the game. Look at all the plays during a game that YOU could have done differently. Not one call makes that big of a difference. Coaches and fans get mad cause they think that ONE call was at a time a team was moing or scoring the ball.

I don't agree with blaming officials for an outcome however, multiple calls or missed calls can make a difference. It can be the difference in ending your season or going to state. One call determined that outcome last year.

Reactions: flyerforlife
I don't agree with blaming officials for an outcome however, multiple calls or missed calls can make a difference. It can be the difference in ending your season or going to state. One call determined that outcome last year.
It might have, but the HC should have stood on the field until he got a full explanation before agreeing to keep playing. I would have been tossed from the game and the officials would have had to call security to drag me off the field. I also believe the IHSA did not do their job. They should have a rules person at semi and finals to make sure this stuff does not happen.

I don't know anyone who hasn't blamed a ref or umpire for a loss. But mistakes happen. I think the refs, umpires, etc. do a good job and don't miss many calls. Looking at several replays makes everyone look like an expert. But those guys have to make the call immediately and in real time. It sure as heck isn't as easy at it looks or as easy as some think, especially when they have to look at more than one thing.

Positioning is very important to me. If an official is in a good position or hustles to get into a good position to make a call, that's half the battle. What I don't like are lazy officials who don't make enough of an effort to get where they need to be to get the best look. Those guys also seem to be the ones with the worst attitudes about their calls being questioned. Thankfully there aren't too many of those types doing games.

Reactions: PRokie
We had a playoff game this year where there was 197 plays in the game. yet it comes down to one or two missed calls ? What about the dropped passes, fumbles ? Players false starting that kill drives? Defensive players jumping into the neutral zone to keep a drive going ?

Do these not also contribute to the outcome of the game?

I agree about the comment concerning lazy officials, they give all of us a bad name. The vast majority of them will be sitting during the playoffs.

We had a playoff game this year where there was 197 plays in the game. yet it comes down to one or two missed calls ? What about the dropped passes, fumbles ? Players false starting that kill drives? Defensive players jumping into the neutral zone to keep a drive going ?

Do these not also contribute to the outcome of the game?

I agree about the comment concerning lazy officials, they give all of us a bad name. The vast majority of them will be sitting during the playoffs.

As I stated before, I don't think the results of a game are on the shoulders of the refs however we can't say that there is NO impact.

In every game there is a winner and a loser. Things happen. Mistakes happen. The results are the results. No one is to blame in my opinion.

The only issue I have is when people, refs included try to pretend like mistakes didn't happen or they called the best game ever. Just because a ref didn't see it or call it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. There are several refs that will admit they didn't see it or was out of position and those are the ones that get the ultimate respect. They are humans just like everyone else participating in the game.

As I stated before, I don't think the results of a game are on the shoulders of the refs however we can't say that there is NO impact.

In every game there is a winner and a loser. Things happen. Mistakes happen. The results are the results. No one is to blame in my opinion.

The only issue I have is when people, refs included try to pretend like mistakes didn't happen or they called the best game ever. Just because a ref didn't see it or call it doesn't mean that it didn't happen. There are several refs that will admit they didn't see it or was out of position and those are the ones that get the ultimate respect. They are humans just like everyone else participating in the game.

Now that is something we can agree on. All humans make mistakes. The good ones learn from them and move on. It's the people who just can't let go of other ones that get my nerve, like they never make mistakes.

There is NO reason to bring up the officials from last years games, any game. That's in the past. I am sure that crew has learned from their mistake and have actually gotten better because of it.

I'd also add: there was probably no 5 people more upset about what happened than that crew.
Exactly. Guaranteed every member of every officiating crew, especially in the playoffs are trying to give their best performance every time out. I can also guarantee that no official, or crew for that matter, want to be part of the storyline after the game is over.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Exactly. Guaranteed every member of every officiating crew, especially in the playoffs are trying to give their best performance every time out. I can also guarantee that no official, or crew for that matter, want to be part of the storyline after the game is over.

I agree with the thought but disagree with the word "every" in this statement.

On another note, because each crew officiate differently I wish there was a way coaches could meet with the crew together a couple of hours before the game. This will eliminate any perceived injustice as both coaches will be aware of the officiating style before the game begin.

I'd also add: there was probably no 5 people more upset about what happened than that crew.

While you maybe right, it is still devastating that they could misinterpret or not know the correct call in this situation. This was not a wrong "holding call" or "illegal man downfield". The game was over and they directly changed the out come. What makes this just worse, if possible, took away the opportunity for a group of kids to play for a state championship. Add on, if these 5 men took their job seriously, how did they not know or remember this was the exact situation in an NCAA game (Oklahoma St) just a few weeks prior and was all the talk of the zebra community.

But hey, let's reward them with a playoff game the next year like nothing happened... ;( Typicall IHSA bullsit.

Add on, if these 5 men took their job seriously, how did they not know or remember this was the exact situation in an NCAA game (Oklahoma St) just a few weeks prior and was all the talk of the zebra community.
Unfortunately, none of us are privy to the discussions the five of them had on the field at that moment. For all we know, maybe they had discussed that play on the field. Maybe one person had the ruling wrong and talked the other four into it. Maybe one person had the ruling right and couldn't talk the other four into it. Maybe a play that happened in week 2 of the college season didn't dawn on them in Week 13 of the HS season.

You're also making an awfully big assumption on these guys not taking the job seriously.

I agree with the thought but disagree with the word "every" in this statement.

On another note, because each crew officiate differently I wish there was a way coaches could meet with the crew together a couple of hours before the game. This will eliminate any perceived injustice as both coaches will be aware of the officiating style before the game begin.
Referees meet with each head coach prior to the coin toss.

Unfortunately, none of us are privy to the discussions the five of them had on the field at that moment. For all we know, maybe they had discussed that play on the field. Maybe one person had the ruling wrong and talked the other four into it. Maybe one person had the ruling right and couldn't talk the other four into it. Maybe a play that happened in week 2 of the college season didn't dawn on them in Week 13 of the HS season.

You're also making an awfully big assumption on these guys not taking the job seriously.

Very few times a year does the zebra crew make news for misinterpreting rules during a season on the national scale of a HUGE play in the NCAA. No way any ref who takes their job seriously didn't read about that play or discuss it with someone...

Hell, we were discussing it at TCYFL bantam games the weeks following

Very few times a year does the zebra crew make news for misinterpreting rules during a season on the national scale of a HUGE play in the NCAA. No way any ref who takes their job seriously didn't read about that play or discuss it with someone...

Hell, we were discussing it at TCYFL bantam games the weeks following
Did you not read the paragraph above what you put in bold? I mentioned the possibility that talked about that exact play on the field.

Did you not read the paragraph above what you put in bold? I mentioned the possibility that talked about that exact play on the field.

Come, if they did speak of the same play and then missed the call.... they should be fired. That changes it from a mistake to incompetece.

Referees meet with each head coach prior to the coin toss.

No they don't. They ask a couple of questions and move on. That is not a meeting to discuss, how things will be officiated during the game. There are a lot of things that are judgement calls which are not consistent between crews.

It really doesn't.

So you would call them good officials for knowing about almost the exact same play/circumstances and making the same call the the NCAA refs made and were suspended for?

National news only a few weeks prior...

Yet, these guys take their profession seriously to have talked about it in their huddle and still blow the call? Not like the MAC and BIG 12 didn't come out and both say this was a blown call.....oh wait....
https://www.si.com/college-football...n-oklahoma-state-referees-officials-suspended

IF you are stating they talked about the play and them still incorrectly changed the outcome, they are incompetent.

No they don't. They ask a couple of questions and move on. That is not a meeting to discuss, how things will be officiated during the game. There are a lot of things that are judgement calls which are not consistent between crews.
Not true at all. If a coach has scouted something on his opponent and asks me or a member of my crew our thoughts on it, we are going to give him the philosophy that my crew has adopted. That should alert that coach to what officiating style they'll see.

Reactions: Chief321
So you would call them good officials for knowing about almost the exact same play/circumstances and making the same call the the NCAA refs made and were suspended for?

National news only a few weeks prior...

Yet, these guys take their profession seriously to have talked about it in their huddle and still blow the call? Not like the MAC and BIG 12 didn't come out and both say this was a blown call.....oh wait....
https://www.si.com/college-football...n-oklahoma-state-referees-officials-suspended

IF you are stating they talked about the play and them still incorrectly changed the outcome, they are incompetent.
I think you are very much misunderstanding what I am saying. So allow me to clarify as best I can:

1. I'm not arguing that they didn't blow the call.
2. I don't know what they discussed in their huddle.
3. I'm stating that in the heat of moment, with everyone watching them, it's entirely possible that they talked themselves one way or the other.

It was a mistake, a human error. It made people, apparently you, very upset. They had a state championship game taken away from them, they were punished. There's not a single shred of evidence that these five guys do not take the job of refereeing seriously.

I think you are very much misunderstanding what I am saying. So allow me to clarify as best I can:

1. I'm not arguing that they didn't blow the call.
2. I don't know what they discussed in their huddle.
3. I'm stating that in the heat of moment, with everyone watching them, it's entirely possible that they talked themselves one way or the other.

It was a mistake, a human error. It made people, apparently you, very upset. They had a state championship game taken away from them, they were punished. There's not a single shred of evidence that these five guys do not take the job of refereeing seriously.

giphy.gif

I know you are a ref and stick up for fellow zebras....but let's review

1- They blew the call- no question
2- You don't know what was talked about. But you don't see an issue if they talked about the OK St play? This is where I'm confused. Wasn't it discussed nationally and locally for weeks after the fact? If these guys took their jobs seriously, they never were part of a discussion or read anything on this? These men had to hear about it...
3- 5 people, No one had a rule book to look up what they were misinterpreting? OK, that would also fall on the Fenwick coaches...

Mistake and human error, sure. BUT, They did not have a Championship game taken from them, Fenwick kids did. They had a paycheck opportunity taken from them. They will get one again, I'm sure, the Fenwick kids...not so much.

I did say it was a mistake, bad one, and only stated they should not be doing a playoff game this year. And for the record... It did not effect my team or a team I cheer for.

Them getting this call wrong after being national news just a few weeks earlier...and you don't see a "shred" of evidence of them not taking their job seriously and deserve another playoff game...shame on you. Not knowing the rules of the game you are officiating, might be more than a "shred" after being a national newsworthy story about your profession, a local coach involved, and two top NCAA confrences releasing statements about said blown call....

But hey, some officials take their job more serious than others. It's just too bad many of them aren't doing the playoff games because they are not "connected".

giphy.gif

I know you are a ref and stick up for fellow zebras....but let's review

1- They blew the call- no question
2- You don't know what was talked about. But you don't see an issue if they talked about the OK St play? This is where I'm confused. Wasn't it discussed nationally and locally for weeks after the fact? If these guys took their jobs seriously, they never were part of a discussion or read anything on this? These men had to hear about it...
3- 5 people, No one had a rule book to look up what they were misinterpreting? OK, that would also fall on the Fenwick coaches...

Mistake and human error, sure. BUT, They did not have a Championship game taken from them, Fenwick kids did. They had a paycheck opportunity taken from them. They will get one again, I'm sure, the Fenwick kids...not so much.

I did say it was a mistake, bad one, and only stated they should not be doing a playoff game this year. And for the record... It did not effect my team or a team I cheer for.

Them getting this call wrong after being national news just a few weeks earlier...and you don't see a "shred" of evidence of them not taking their job seriously and deserve another playoff game...shame on you. Not knowing the rules of the game you are officiating, might be more than a "shred" after being a national newsworthy story about your profession, a local coach involved, and two top NCAA confrences releasing statements about said blown call....

But hey, some officials take their job more serious than others. It's just too bad many of them aren't doing the playoff games because they are not "connected".
I'm sorry your kid didn't go to the state championship. That doesn't mean they don't take refereeing seriously. I'm not going to waste more bandwith on this with you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT