ADVERTISEMENT

St Louis papers coverage of MC/ ESL

I began this thread to provide an accounting of the game because the Chicago papers pretty much ignore prep sports, anymore.

It never occurred to me that it would grow to 82 replies.

I wonder if some PhD candidate in anthropology someday will do a study of the way threads develop in sports message boards. I used to be on a DePaul basketball board and it was crazy.

Anyway, good luck to all this weekend.

Last edited:
Umm..... I follow Cheryl Scott every chance I get.
giphy.gif

I believe Patrick Sharpe does as well.

This whole debate started because 1 lower level official "Made a joke" about these officials. Never should have happened in the first place, and if he doesn't do this , this whole ugly situation doesn't reappear.

Just my 2 cents
I'll end this and I was at the game. The refs did not make a mistaken call or rule interpretation. All of the calls were typical calls, offsides, encroachment, holding, and face mask. The refs had fractions of a second to see an infraction/potential infraction and make a judgement. Depending on which sideline you were on you loved or hated the calls.

The real cause for the ESL loss was their coaching staff. Refs have fractions of a second to make a call. The ESL coaches had 16 weeks to coach someone to kick extra points, sixteen weeks to coach someone to snap a punt, sixteen weeks to coach someone to punt. Special teams are at least 20% of the game and ESL failed on all aspects of special teams.

MC's special teams and failures by the other team have won them the ESL game and Normal game. In the Normal game the PAT snap was high and that allowed the extra time to get the block. ESL had no one to kick and snapped the ball over the punter's head. They were a total special teams disaster.

MC's kicker, I think, has missed only one PAT this year and is capable of making field goals. On kickoffs he pins the ball between the sideline and hash marks deep and the coverage team is there to make the stop. Their long snapper is one of the top rated long snappers in the country and their punter, although he did shank one in the ESL game, has consistently produced 40 yard punts all season. Punt return and KOR teams regularly get MC great starting field position. You can tell MC's coaching staff puts in the necessary work on special teams.

In the playoffs, special teams and turnovers usually make the difference in a close game not the refs.

I'll end this and I was at the game. The refs did not make a mistaken call or rule interpretation. All of the calls were typical calls, offsides, encroachment, holding, and face mask. The refs had fractions of a second to see an infraction/potential infraction and make a judgement. Depending on which sideline you were on you loved or hated the calls.

The real cause for the ESL loss was their coaching staff. Refs have fractions of a second to make a call. The ESL coaches had 16 weeks to coach someone to kick extra points, sixteen weeks to coach someone to snap a punt, sixteen weeks to coach someone to punt. Special teams are at least 20% of the game and ESL failed on all aspects of special teams.

MC's special teams and failures by the other team have won them the ESL game and Normal game. In the Normal game the PAT snap was high and that allowed the extra time to get the block. ESL had no one to kick and snapped the ball over the punter's head. They were a total special teams disaster.

MC's kicker, I think, has missed only one PAT this year and is capable of making field goals. On kickoffs he pins the ball between the sideline and hash marks deep and the coverage team is there to make the stop. Their long snapper is one of the top rated long snappers in the country and their punter, although he did shank one in the ESL game, has consistently produced 40 yard punts all season. Punt return and KOR teams regularly get MC great starting field position. You can tell MC's coaching staff puts in the necessary work on special teams.

In the playoffs, special teams and turnovers usually make the difference in a close game not the refs.

Thanks Johnny. Just my point exactly these refs did not need to be brought up because of past mistakes. Just some people can't let go of the past

ESL won State without a kicker last year! There were several chances to win the game and that is the bottom line.

I will also add this, certain schools benefit from certain elements of the game. There are a lot of people/ teams wish they had some ESL players. ESL wish they had a kicker. It's a skill that not everyone can master. You don't cry about it, you work around it and try to be successful. It is what it is.

Giving up three touchdowns played a bigger role than extra points. Extra points get the game to overtime in which MC was at home.

ESL won State without a kicker last year! There were several chances to win the game and that is the bottom line.

I will also add this certain school benefit from certain elements of the game. There are a lot of people/ teams wish they had some ESL players. ESL wish they had a kicker. It's a skill that not everyone can master. You don't cry about it, you work around it and try to be successful. It is what it is.

I'll give you that finding the field goal kicker is hard. But, I coach grammar school football. In grammar school a kicked extra point is worth two point. I spend tons of time on PAT's until I can get a 7th or 8th grader to kick an extra point and I've won many a game because of this. If I can get 7th and 8th graders to kick extra points then there is no excuse for any high school program.

I'll give you that finding the field goal kicker is hard. But, I coach grammar school football. In grammar school a kicked extra point is worth two point. I spend tons of time on PAT's until I can get a 7th or 8th grader to kick an extra point and I've won many a game because of this. If I can get 7th and 8th graders to kick extra points then there is no excuse for any high school program.

That is your opinion and I can respect that. If it was that simple everyone would never have an issue. It all come down to coaching! The same coach had a kid kick a 30 yard extra point after two penalties against GW to win that game semifinal game in 2008.

How can anyone see LHS Tigers and NOT know what school that is??!!!! LOL I'm just sayin'! That threepeat in basketball back in the day with Phonso! Those were the days!
East St. Louis Lincoln also had some stud track teams back in the late '70s/early '80s that scored highly on the state meet stage..

Reactions: flyerforlife
Fella’s.... I don’t know what all this is about, but we were talking about Cheryl Scott which completely derailed my day, and you keep talking about whatever this thread is about..

Get it together and move on, the evening news is only a few hours away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT