ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joe say it aint so

Fuhtbahl

Sep 28, 2019
Forfeit #2. No game this weekend

I see that they had canceled their remaining JV games last week. Hard to believe that they can't pull together a combined lineup of enough players from all levels and play out their remaining games with their opponents fielding a similar JV/sub lineup. Seems like a win win for all. Players who can, get to play, subs of other team get to play, cheerleaders cheer, bands play, concessions get purchased, Friday night lights continue......

Be interesting if they recover enough to play DePaul next week.:rolleyes:

If St. Joe does not pull the plug on football, I wonder what the conference protocol or steps are for this situation going into next year. Does the league vote each year regarding returning members? If they cancelled their remaining JV games after last week, that can't bode well for fielding a team next year.

Red Divison teams should not play anyone other than Purple teams. I hope the ESCC/CCL can structure the conference in that there's tiers of programs. Blue/Green/Orange cross over and White/Purple/Red work together. Setup a relegation system for teams to move up and down as well. It is crucial that the schools work together to improve football for all the schools.

Also, it may be worth exploring expanding the conference and having less divisions, in return creating true conference champions and giving the smaller schools a space to grow their programs with more even match ups.

Lets play pretend on this Thursday (don't nail me to the cross for team selection. It's just done quickly):

Blue
Loyola
Mount Carmel
Brother Rice
Saint Rita
Marist
Montini
Nazareth

White
ND
Providence
Benet
DeLaSalle
St. Laurence
Fenwick
Joliet Cathoic

Orange
St. Francis
St. Pat's
ICCP
St. Ignatius
Carmel
Bishop McNamara
Marmion

Red
St. Joe's
DePaul
St. Ed's
St. Viator
Marian Catholic
Marian Central
Leo

6 conference games, 3 non con. Make 2 cross overs between blue/white and orange/red.

I know I'm an idiot, but I believe something like this would be a good next step in the development of the conference.

Red Divison teams should not play anyone other than Purple teams. I hope the ESCC/CCL can structure the conference in that there's tiers of programs. Blue/Green/Orange cross over and White/Purple/Red work together. Setup a relegation system for teams to move up and down as well. It is crucial that the schools work together to improve football for all the schools.

Also, it may be worth exploring expanding the conference and having less divisions, in return creating true conference champions and giving the smaller schools a space to grow their programs with more even match ups.

Lets play pretend on this Thursday (don't nail me to the cross for team selection. It's just done quickly):

Blue
Loyola
Mount Carmel
Brother Rice
Saint Rita
Marist
Montini
Nazareth

White
ND
Providence
Benet
DeLaSalle
St. Laurence
Fenwick
Joliet Cathoic

Orange
St. Francis
St. Pat's
ICCP
St. Ignatius
Carmel
Bishop McNamara
Marmion

Red
St. Joe's
DePaul
St. Ed's
St. Viator
Marian Catholic
Marian Central
Leo

6 conference games, 3 non con. Make 2 cross overs between blue/white and orange/red.

I know I'm an idiot, but I believe something like this would be a good next step in the development of the conference.
I think moving to more traditional divisions is possible but I don’t think you see them set up as in previous years with all/most of the power teams in a single division (Blue). Towards the end of the CCL numerous coaches were on record that they didn’t like the Blue and that beating each other up year in and year out was good for no one. I think that if they do ever go back to 6 or 7 team divisions, those teams (LA, MC, BR, Marist, Naz, PC, SR, Montini, JCA) get spread out over 2 of the 4 proposed divisions.

You have some HUGE distances in your proposed Orange and Red Divisions. Marian Central to Marian Catholic is super long, as is Marian Central to Leo. Bishop Mac to Carmel in Mundelein is also a hefty ride on a Friday evening. The closest school to Bishop Mac in your proposed Orange Division is roughly 40 miles away.

I'd love to see ICCP in a division with the likes of Mac, Naz, Montini, Fenwick, St. Laurence, St. Francis, and maybe JCA or Benet.

Reactions: Gene K.

Blue
Loyola
Mount Carmel
Brother Rice
Saint Rita
Marist
Montini
Nazareth

White
ND
Providence
Benet
DeLaSalle
St. Laurence
Fenwick
Joliet Cathoic

Orange
St. Francis
St. Pat's
ICCP
St. Ignatius
Carmel
Bishop McNamara
Marmion

Red
St. Joe's
DePaul
St. Ed's
St. Viator
Marian Catholic
Marian Central
Leo

ZERO issue with this!! I honestly would do one crossover game and allow two non conference (two cupcakes) to help reach 3 wins (under proposed playoff format to challenge districts). conferences don't have to be even numbered, Hope academy for St Joes ( they should seriously consider 8 man football), Phillips for Bishop Mac

Blue
Loyola
Mount Carmel
Brother Rice
Saint Rita
Marist
Montini
Nazareth

White
ND
Providence
Benet
DeLaSalle
St. Laurence
Fenwick
Joliet Cathoic

Orange
St. Francis
St. Pat's
ICCP
St. Ignatius
Carmel
Bishop McNamara
Marmion

Red
St. Joe's
DePaul
St. Ed's
St. Viator
Marian Catholic
Marian Central
Leo

I think moving to more traditional divisions is possible but I don’t think you see them set up as in previous years with all/most of the power teams in a single division (Blue). Towards the end of the CCL numerous coaches were on record that they didn’t like the Blue and that beating each other up year in and year out was good for no one. I think that if they do ever go back to 6 or 7 team divisions, those teams (LA, MC, BR, Marist, Naz, PC, SR, Montini, JCA) get spread out over 2 of the 4 proposed divisions.
The way the new conferences were set up was to try to qualify as many teams as possible. With conferences this small there are no guaranteed playoff berths for the winners. To make into the playoffs you needed to find at least five wins and have the playoff points if you only had five wins. This also put it on the teams to find week 1&2 opponents. Putting all of the best teams in one division assures that a good team or two will not make the playoffs. If the new proposal to do away with districts goes thru and more teams make the playoffs the CCL/ESCC should do real well.

Yea, seems to me the small, non traditional divisions was critical to this setup. Who cares about auto-qualifiers. This setup is the most flexible arrangement.

Reactions: RockSoup
Chicago Hope Academy would have been great but the Catholic League shit on them.Btw congrats to them!!! 6-1 & headed to the playoffs.Super nice people

Hope is independent this year.
Yes, 6-1, but those opponents? Woof.

Reactions: IgorStL
The real underlying problem with this conference is outside of all being Catholic schools to many of the schools have nothing else in common weather its geography, enrollment or commitment to football. There are so many variables its near impossible to set up a conference that will satisfy everyone, many people like to trash the Metro Suburban Privates but they almost have a better setup currently.

Last edited:
You have some HUGE distances in your proposed Orange and Red Divisions. Marian Central to Marian Catholic is super long, as is Marian Central to Leo. Bishop Mac to Carmel in Mundelein is also a hefty ride on a Friday evening. The closest school to Bishop Mac in your proposed Orange Division is roughly 40 miles away.

I'd love to see ICCP in a division with the likes of Mac, Naz, Montini, Fenwick, St. Laurence, St. Francis, and maybe JCA or Benet.
Like conference but B-Mac might be a little over matched. Good starting point thou.

I created it hastily. Just tried to show a level playing field in terms of competition/program sizes/program success. I am just trying to hammer home the thought of less divisions and a larger footprint. Catholic schools need to work together more than ever

Like conference but B-Mac might be a little over matched. Good starting point thou.
Mac has lost by four to ICCP and by three to St Francis, so I would say they are pretty evenly matched this year. I think they would play well against Benet, Laurence, and Fenwick. As I look at the division I proposed, only Naz and Montini are substantially out of Mac's league at the present. I think Mac would stand a reasonable chance of making the playoffs in a division like that. It wasn't all that long ago that Mac beat Providence and ICCP in the same season.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT