ADVERTISEMENT

So tell me how the Catholic Prep Bowl Playoffs work this year

I been have been told by a couple CCL coaches that when in prep bowl and have byes problems arise. Issues with kids not showing, wanting to start their other sports etc. Just because you have the time does not mean it would be a positive experience. If I was 2-7, I would have no interest in continuing that season. It is best to take a break and start fresh after Christmas with workouts.

Never thought about other sports. I can completely understand why kids would want to start their other sport as opposed to playing in a consolation tourney. Of course I also completely understand the kids who want to keep playing football as long as possible b/c very few of them will play beyond their high school careers.

Very tough call for the programs.

Kuska can stay at SR as long as he likes a far as I'm concerned. And I'm sure most of the people at BR and MC feel the same way about their guy. But if he needs help there are about 500 offensive and defensive coordinators in the stands every Friday night.

Last edited:
I know Fenwick played. The crying and complaining about Fenwick in particular did not happen.
I remember it did because my brother got thrown off the board for defending them.It got so ugly let me just say misdeeds by Preachers,Pastors and the such were mentioned in vulgar detail and Fenwick/Private schools painted in the same light

Is the rule still in effect that Frosh can't play in Varsity Catholic League contest? A few years back Gordon Tech beat Leo in the Prep Bowl playoffs and put 2 or 3 Frosh in the last minute of the game to play, the game was in hand.Leo cried like babies and Gordon Tech had to forfeit!!

Is the rule still in effect that Frosh can't play in Varsity Catholic League contest? A few years back Gordon Tech beat Leo in the Prep Bowl playoffs and put 2 or 3 Frosh in the last minute of the game to play, the game was in hand.Leo cried like babies and Gordon Tech had to forfeit!!

No. Kaminski played for Fenwick last year as a freshman.

Brother Rice is starting a ton of underclassmen a week. Their roster is big, maybe not talented but they have players, let the dual sport guys go, keep the injured players out and you still have plenty of players. Practice for a week, maybe two, who knows what will happen.

As far as Badke and coming back stronger than ever, what has he even accomplished to believe the arrow of the program is pointing up.

I may we way off base here but the results do not really reflect a program that should be passing up opportunities to be on the field considering their CCL Blue record is currently 1-8 across all three levels. The program seems to need continued opportunity to right he ship. Not just players but the staff as well. The Soph QB could be the varsity QB next year and the prep bowl would be the opportunity to showcase this.

Seems like they are just packing it and going home becasue things didn't go their way this year. I am sure that is a good way to recruit kids...we elected to not continue on with the season because we didn't feel like it.

Again these are my opinions and I could be 1000% wrong.

Reactions: tomloner
That's obivously more than just opinions,
More like shots fired.
But reality of it is you don't really know why there aren't playing but you twist it in a negative way to make Rice and badke look bad. I'm my opinion that isn't right because you don't know for sure.
Remember when people say about opinions

Perception also can be reality when you are trying to convince kids that may want to play football in high school to attend your school. Which would be the number one reason to play in the prep bowl playoffs. This is why I think it is a big mistake on their part which also adds additional fuel to the Badke is leaving fire.

We are not entitled to the reasoning behind it and I hope it is more grounded than because they had a bad year, have injuries or they are losing players to a winter sport.

OK, well I am not certain what to think of that so I will not opine further.

Thanks for the insight.

They knew the rules and broke 'em ... too bad.

A press release from the school or the CCL office would put this to rest or for the younger folks I guess a face book or tweeter announcement.

12 schools eligible for prep bowl, 9 playoff qualifiers and 3 non playoff teams. Joes, Leo and DePaul are non playoff teams. Loyola BR AND PROVY not going in

Reactions: superac777
I'm really surprised BR isn't doing this. For one thing it's a Chicago tradition....whether people like it or not, but also, believe it or not, it is a recruiting tool, especially if no other Catholic teams are playing on Thanksgiving weekend. Trust me, I've been to the last few MC Prep Bowl championships and I've seen a lot of impressionable grade school kids looking in awe as MC hoisted the Prep Bowl trophy because they don't know or care if it's a State Championship or City Championship at that age, they just see success the final week of the season. The way Tim OC works at BR he could spin a Prep Bowl Victory into a huge recruiting tool, he'd probably have a parade down 99th! And I mean that in a good way.

I'm really surprised BR isn't doing this. For one thing it's a Chicago tradition....whether people like it or not, but also, believe it or not, it is a recruiting tool, especially if no other Catholic teams are playing on Thanksgiving weekend. Trust me, I've been to the last few MC Prep Bowl championships and I've seen a lot of impressionable grade school kids looking in awe as MC hoisted the Prep Bowl trophy because they don't know or care if it's a State Championship or City Championship at that age, they just see success the final week of the season. The way Tim OC works at BR he could spin a Prep Bowl Victory into a huge recruiting tool, he'd probably have a parade down 99th! And I mean that in a good way.
I don't know who you are but when I'm in town again I'm buying you a beer

When was this vote? I heard from a player's parent at the St. Joe's game they were told they weren't participating in the Prep Bowl.

I have no reason to not believe Krock, he's a good poster that seems to have a pulse on the BR program. But I can say the same about you and you are hearing different things. Maybe the vote was just captains or just seniors but they sometimes wouldn't be the best to ask after a disappointing season. I'm still scratching my head. The CCL had to give up spring football to participate in the IHSA. The IHSA in return allows this side postseason and the CCL is very fortunate to get the two to five weeks of extra practice. Rosters expand so seniors opting out is no big deal. Especially with college recruiting now a days, where college recruiters don't have to leave their laptops, players' Hudl videos become one of their ways of communicating to the next level. It's a head scratcher. The opportunity to get tape moving as a sophomore would be a big deal to me if I had a sophomore son. I don't know, maybe it works out for them some way we can all be missing.

Reactions: tomloner
I have no reason to not believe Krock, he's a good poster that seems to have a pulse on the BR program. But I can say the same about you and you are hearing different things. Maybe the vote was just captains or just seniors but they sometimes wouldn't be the best to ask after a disappointing season. I'm still scratching my head. The CCL had to give up spring football to participate in the IHSA. The IHSA in return allows this side postseason and the CCL is very fortunate to get the two to five weeks of extra practice. Rosters expand so seniors opting out is no big deal. Especially with college recruiting now a days, where college recruiters don't have to leave their laptops, players' Hudl videos become one of their ways of communicating to the next level. It's a head scratcher. The opportunity to get tape moving as a sophomore would be a big deal to me if I had a sophomore son. I don't know, maybe it works out for them some way we can all be missing.

In my opinion, the only reason to not participate would be to allow kids to start practicing with their winter sports teams.

Here's what I know to be fact...
At the St Joe's game, a good friend of mine and father of a senior captain, told us the team was informed by Badke they would not be participating in the Prep Bowl this year. I followed up with a few insiders at BR to get the scoop. As a result, I was told the administration was surprised by the decision and was discussed immediately by the powers that be. The decision was upheld and here we are left scratching our heads. Out of respect to friends and others close to the program, I'll stop short of getting into the politics drowning my beloved school and it's athletic programs. There's more to the story. Hoping the kids aren't greatly effected by this decision. At the end of the day, they're the only ones who truly matter.

I've been a member of Edgy's board for 16 years (thank you, Tim) and I always get a kick out of the annual Prep Bowl agita.

Keep it up, boys. You'll still be arguing over the Prep Bowl for another 16 years ... and another 16 years after that. By then, I'll be 104 and I won't care anymore.

Cheer up, Catholic Leaguers. We've got the best conference in the state -- and Gately dogs!

In my opinion, the only reason to not participate would be to allow kids to start practicing with their winter sports teams.
I’m sure as deep as many of the programs are they can get plenty of guys who do want to
play and be in the Prep Bowl Playoffs

I've been a member of Edgy's board for 16 years (thank you, Tim) and I always get a kick out of the annual Prep Bowl agita.

Keep it up, boys. You'll still be arguing over the Prep Bowl for another 16 years ... and another 16 years after that. By then, I'll be 104 and I won't care anymore.

Cheer up, Catholic Leaguers. We've got the best conference in the state -- and Gately dogs!
I love the Prep Bowl and stick up for it each year.It does need to return to Soldier Field.The kids deserve that

Reactions: krock the house
Here's what I know to be fact...
At the St Joe's game, a good friend of mine and father of a senior captain, told us the team was informed by Badke they would not be participating in the Prep Bowl this year. I followed up with a few insiders at BR to get the scoop. As a result, I was told the administration was surprised by the decision and was discussed immediately by the powers that be. The decision was upheld and here we are left scratching our heads. Out of respect to friends and others close to the program, I'll stop short of getting into the politics drowning my beloved school and it's athletic programs. There's more to the story. Hoping the kids aren't greatly effected by this decision. At the end of the day, they're the only ones who truly matter.

I spoke to a similar person and was informed essentially the same thing. That this was a unilateral decision without much player or admin input.

Not sure how this gets kids interested in the Rice football program nor do I see how they benefit unless they do not want another loss on the 2017 docket.

I spoke to a similar person and was informed essentially the same thing. That this was a unilateral decision without much player or admin input.

Not sure how this gets kids interested in the Rice football program nor do I see how they benefit unless they do not want another loss on the 2017 docket.
There you go again with your opinion and throwing jags at BR.
what does that statement even mean "Not sure how this gets kids interested in the Rice football program"
let it go and stop the negative recruiting

Krock, appreciate your passion for the Crusader...But if this is Badkes decision, he is wrong. As a catholic leaguer, you have to spin this in a positive way every year. The Prep Bowl is special and should be treated like it all the time, especially for coaches who have played and now coach in the CCL.

Reactions: Gene K.
Everyone has a right to their opinion but at the end of the day No one knows what happens behind close doors except the players and coaches.
I appreciate your direct opinion Stella compared to the subtle jabs from ref.
That being said I know badke and I know the pedigree. He was born a CCLer. It's in his blood of three generations.

Last edited:
I agree Krock, we have no idea what is happening on 99th street and I feel that the coach over there is a CCLer thru and thru. Lets all hope that every CCL school remains strong and thrives for a very long time. By the way, its embarrassing what is happening to Hope Academy. Screw Bishop Mac and St. Francis, Matt Kelly is a great guy and coach, I guarantee that if either of these schools is in a playoff hunt they find a way to play.

Subtle jags, I think it is a bad decision based on the number of opportunities kids get to play.

You stated that the players voted I heard it was a coach/staff decision as did another poster, not an opinion.

Not playing takes away a tool the admissions office had and gives a little jag to those that actually recruit kids something I have no ability to do.

Hopefully the whole program and admin is on the same page going forward.

As a senior, by the time the prep bowl is played, you are ready to move on to whatever other sport you play or enjoy the balance of your senior year. The advantage is to the sophomores moved up for the game and the juniors on the team. They are getting an extra month or so of practice and coaching of which otherwise they would not get. This is invaluable and with a good offseason can help the following year.

IMHO we have beat this to death already. But the topic will not die until the Prep Bowl is over with. The CCL has handled this poorly. If the criteria has changed they should have put out a press release. If they did could someone post the link?

Unless the CPS agrees not to send their best team I believe the CCL should not handcuff themselves by eliminating their top tier teams.

BR should have made an announcement when they did this to all their students and alumni. Actually it is their decision to make right or wrong. PC declined play in the game since their admission into the CCL. But this is a first for Brother Rice. That’s what has everyone sitting up and taking notice.

Now everyone is an investigative reporter. Who’s decision was it? When was it decided. Were the payers lead to this decision by the coaches? When the decision was made I don’t think anyone at BR thought thru what the public relations problem it was going to stirrup. Kind of a long bus ride up north tomorrow and back for BR. Shame to finish the season on a downer. As long as Philips does not back up into the Prep Bowl at the last minute BR could have finished the season on the high note.

Had a conversation with a player today. I cannot believe the things he told me about the condition of this varsity team. Kids not showing up to practice or coming when almost over. Worst part, they're not held out of the game. Instead they have to run after practice. I realize times have changed since my playing days but I'm thoroughly disappointed to say the least. Out of respect for Badke and others I will not discuss these issues on here. Hopefully, the junior class learns from this in the off season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT