ADVERTISEMENT

What Catholic Schools are in the Prep Bowl Playoffs?

crazylegs777

Oct 18, 2023
Any word on which Catholic League non playoff teams are going to be in the Prep Bowl Playoffs? DePaul,Marist,Marian Catholic & Fenwick in the least i'd guess.Thank You

Reactions: eireog
11/2 Thursday evening: DePaul at Marist 630pm

11/3 Friday night: De La Salle at Notre Dame 7pm

Date and Time TBD: St. Patrick at Marian Catholic

Different scenarios in place for brackets after 1st round of State Playoffs are over

Probably waiting to see if anyone gets knocked off this weekend. Lot of schools do not anymore. i know Fenwick, DLS, and De Paul will. I know ND has in the past years, if MC, BR, SR, or Larry loses I'm thinking they will too.

Probably waiting to see if anyone gets knocked off this weekend. Lot of schools do not anymore. i know Fenwick, DLS, and De Paul will. I know ND has in the past years, if MC, BR, SR, or Larry loses I'm thinking they will too.
Surprised Fenwick hasn’t been in any of the news I have received. Nice to see Marist in. I mean sometimes you have to let the Wrestlers, Basketball and Hockey players go but just a great opportunity to get the younger guys developed and allow the seniors the chance to end their season on a win.

11/2 Thursday evening: DePaul at Marist 630pm

11/3 Friday night: De La Salle at Notre Dame 7pm

Date and Time TBD: St. Patrick at Marian Catholic

Different scenarios in place for brackets after 1st round of State Playoffs are over
Cal Preps has it 24-21 Dons. Like @tomloner I’m not laying the deferred comp on it.

Slow day at the office.

And it’s nice to have the Prep Bowl in the title of the thread because for some odd reason someone will click on it to tell us how much they don’t care about our 90 year tradition.

True story, they’ll actually click on it even though they don’t care. Eye roll emoji

And it’s nice to have the Prep Bowl in the title of the thread because for some odd reason someone will click on it to tell us how much they don’t care about our 90 year tradition.

True story, they’ll actually click on it even though they don’t care. Eye roll emoji
I was thinking of starting a Prep Bowl thread just to see some heads explode. I’m glad someone beat me to it.

Are all schools from the CCL/ESCC eligible? I feel that the eligible teams have changed over the years.

Are all schools from the CCL/ESCC eligible? I feel that the eligible teams have changed over the years.
In what way? I know there were new teams that were eligible back in the Catholic Metro days of the late 90s. And then before the merger, if a CCL team lost in the first two rounds they were eligible to opt in. And now post merger, it’s only the teams that lose in the first round that are offered an invitation.

In what way? I know there were new teams that were eligible back in the Catholic Metro days of the late 90s. And then before the merger, if a CCL team lost in the first two rounds they were eligible to opt in. And now post merger, it’s only the teams that lose in the first round that are offered an invitation.
Were ESCC teams eligible in between the Metro days and the latest merger? For some reason I thought only schools from Chicago or that were in the Catholic League were eligible at some point in the recent past. I know JC played in the prep bowl playoffs a few times, I just don't remember which conference they were apart of at the time.

Reactions: RockSoup
Were ESCC teams eligible in between the Metro days and the latest merger? For some reason I thought only schools from Chicago or that were in the Catholic League were eligible at some point in the recent past. I know JC played in the prep bowl playoffs a few times, I just don't remember which conference they were apart of at the time.
No. Old Metro teams that went to the ESCC were not. Metros that stayed in the CCL were eligible like PC but I don’t know if they ever competed because that was always an argument on Sakos old board and the Prep Bowl being a “Chicago Thing” but I think not participating was more of a Providence wrestling thing.

Reactions: USD24
No. Old Metro teams that went to the ESCC were not. Metros that stayed in the CCL were eligible like PC but I don’t know if they ever competed because that was always an argument on Sakos old board and the Prep Bowl being a “Chicago Thing” but I think not participating was more of a Providence wrestling thing.
So after they went back to the ESCC Marist and St Pat's were not eligible?

I would hope any 1st round IHSA playoff losers would opt to play. Granted Prep Bowl doesn't carry as much hype but I would hope Rice (if they lost) would want a shot at playing Marist again

I would hope any 1st round IHSA playoff losers would opt to play. Granted Prep Bowl doesn't carry as much hype but I would hope Rice (if they lost) would want a shot at playing Marist again
Not just a shot at Marist but all their talent in the lower levels that get to work out in the varsity system, and maybe even play at varsity speed during the grandfathered in extended season, I think its a no brainer. Kaleb Brown’s first varsity start as a freshman was in the Prep Bowl playoffs.

Reactions: Topiary
JC played in 79 as part of the Illini 8 and Marian Catholic (Heights) played in the late 90s. Marian did/does get a few far south and SE side Chicago kids. If Fenwick is so against, maybe a West suburb bowl against York or GBW should those 2 lose in state might suit them.

Yes, under the CMC from like 95 or so until it ended in 02, ESCC teams were in the Prep Bowl along with CCL teams. Then from 03-2018 it was just CCL teams. Then with the CCL/ESCC merger in 2019 (?) it was open to all again.

JC really benefitted in 98. Had a young, decent team that got a bunch of extra weeks to play. A freshman JR Z and a real strong junior class led by Mike Goolsby got to play some extra weeks and I believe ended up losing to Hubbard at Soldier Field. Maybe it was Harper, I can't recall. Propelled them to the undefeated 99 season.

Reactions: USD24 and RockSoup
JC played in 79 as part of the Illini 8 and Marian Catholic (Heights) played in the late 90s. Marian did/does get a few far south and SE side Chicago kids. If Fenwick is so against, maybe a West suburb bowl against York or GBW should those 2 lose in state might suit them.
JCA also lost to Hubbard in the ‘98 prep bowl, a year after Marian Catholic lost to Dunbar in the ‘97 Prep Bowl. It was the Public Schools first consecutive victories since the late 50s.

Fenwick won it last year so they’re not against it at least recently, plus their history is Catholic League History. Don’t know what happened this year but could be winter sports, could be a number of things.

Who doesn't like extra football? The argument is/was how unfair Private
I was thinking of starting a Prep Bowl thread just to see some heads explode. I’m glad someone beat me to it.
The arguement i hear is that Private schools have unfair advantages & get to have extra practices & games.I say well all teams can practice until the day of the last games & they argue that they think it's stupid so since they don't want to practice others shouldn't? Who don't love extra football? I think the real anger came when a private school went 2-7. Won 4 Prep Bowl Catholic games then destroyed the City Champ to finish 7-7 & man heads exploded

Reactions: tomloner
Illini 8 in 1979 where they sadly got Feetoed by Julian 30-22

Yes, under the CMC from like 95 or so until it ended in 02, ESCC teams were in the Prep Bowl along with CCL teams. Then from 03-2018 it was just CCL teams. Then with the CCL/ESCC merger in 2019 (?) it was open to all again.

JC really benefitted in 98. Had a young, decent team that got a bunch of extra weeks to play. A freshman JR Z and a real strong junior class led by Mike Goolsby got to play some extra weeks and I believe ended up losing to Hubbard at Soldier Field. Maybe it was Harper, I can't recall. Propelled them to the undefeated 99 season.
Greypups got 'em!!!!

What’s the story with Joliet Catholic back in 1979? I always understood the Prep Bowl to be a CPS/Chicago Catholic League thing (or with one of its merged Catholic leagues). But JC was not in the CCL then, were they? And if not, how did they get in the Prep Bowl playoffs?

What’s the story with Joliet Catholic back in 1979? I always understood the Prep Bowl to be a CPS/Chicago Catholic League thing (or with one of its merged Catholic leagues). But JC was not in the CCL then, were they? And if not, how did they get in the Prep Bowl playoffs?
It was a one time thing that year.Holy Cross from the ESCC got in in 1979 & Marian Catholic & Joliet Catholic from the Illini 8.They wanted to increase interest in the Prep Bowl & wanted to invite Oak Lawn & Thornridge & a few other Sica Schools & Suburban schools to play with CPS teams on the public playoff side but the IHSA said no.They were set to invite Joliet Catholic again in 1980 but people made a stink so it was a no go_Oak Lawn had probably the best team in school history.8-2 beat Hinsdale South in a strike replacement game

It was a one time thing that year.Holy Cross from the ESCC got in in 1979 & Marian Catholic & Joliet Catholic from the Illini 8.They wanted to increase interest in the Prep Bowl & wanted to invite Oak Lawn & Thornridge & a few other Sica Schools & Suburban schools to play with CPS teams on the public playoff side but the IHSA said no.They were set to invite Joliet Catholic again in 1980 but people made a stink so it was a no go_Oak Lawn had probably the best team in school history.8-2 beat Hinsdale South in a strike replacement game
TF North was going to go in the public prep bowl playoffs that year too.I found the article as well as Kankakee Eastridge

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT