ADVERTISEMENT

So tell me how the Catholic Prep Bowl Playoffs work this year

superac777

Aug 28, 2006
How are the Catholic Prep Bowl playoffs working this year? I thought no teams from outside of Chicago were allowed in unless grandfathered(Larry,Fenwick,Loyola) and now someone said some time ago on here no Catholic teams who make the playoffs can play in the Prep Bowl playoffs too which is garbage.So if all that is true as well as Brother Rice not wanting to play in it this year that means:Mt.Carmel,Providence Catholic,Loyola Academy,St.Rita,DeLaSalle,Marmion,Fenwick,Montini,Chicago Hope Academy,St.Laurence,St Iggy,Aurora Christian all ineligible because they are going to the state playoffs(unless Aurora Christian is upset) then Brother Rice(heard both ways but some saying don't want to play),St.Francis(non Chicago),St.Joseph(non Chicago),Kankakee McNamara(Non Chicago) can't play in it either.So Leo vs the artist formerly known as Gordon Tech(DePaul) are the only 2 that can play on the Catholic side?

All teams eligible, unless you opt out. If you win first playoff game, you are out also. Loyola, Brother Rice and provi are out. Everyone has to say if they are committing this week. It’s a big mess, I think it’s a shame that a league that has this option is bitching about it.

All teams eligible, unless you opt out. If you win first playoff game, you are out also. Loyola, Brother Rice and provi are out. Everyone has to say if they are committing this week. It’s a big mess, I think it’s a shame that a league that has this option is bitching about it.

Are you sure Rice opted out? If so, huge mistake.

So I know over the years the Prep Bowl had lost its luster but was still a thing with the CCL crowd but with them not playing it at Soldier Field every year and much less media coverage is that what is leading to this game to be appearing on life support? Also how big of an impact has the state of CPS football had on the game?

I know the message was deleted but why did Rice opt out? Being a young team wouldn't they want more time on the field? I think it is rather shameful that they would not promote this event and want to get more work in as a team. I'll keep my personal comments to myself on the matter.

I thought the rule was all Blue teams make it and the other teams had to have over a .500 record.

If you make the state playoffs and cannot come back that really limits the teams. It used to be those eliminated early could come back.

What is the CPL doing?

CPL only allows Illini conference teams to compete in the prep bowl playoffs. Any team that makes it past the 2nd round of state (quarterfinals) is no longer eligible to return.

Agree with Feeto, I don't see the point of turning this down. Supposed to be a young team, the experience could only help. Shaking my head on this.

CPL only allows Illini conference teams to compete in the prep bowl playoffs. Any team that makes it past the 2nd round of state (quarterfinals) is no longer eligible to return.
I think that is stupid.The idea behind that is that Intra City Conference teams can't compete.Well newsflash.Most CPS teams can't compete in the playoffs so should be limit them to 4? and it is stupid you give the Chicago Conference teams a choice to either play in one or the other and even then only take the top 2 in the playoffs.I think top 40 CPS regardless of conference get in the city playoffs in case any teams make it past round 2.As for Brother Rice they could easily run the table and win it all giving them extra practice(which is available to EVERY school and if they choose not to use it others shouldn't be punished) experience and a possible Prep Bowl Title

I been have been told by a couple CCL coaches that when in prep bowl and have byes problems arise. Issues with kids not showing, wanting to start their other sports etc. Just because you have the time does not mean it would be a positive experience. If I was 2-7, I would have no interest in continuing that season. It is best to take a break and start fresh after Christmas with workouts.

Last edited:
I been have been told by a couple CCL coaches that when in prep bowl and have byes problems arise. Issues with kids not showing, wanting to start their other sports etc. Just because you have the time does not mean it would be it would be a positive experience. If I was 2-7, I would have no interest in continuing that season. It is best to take a break and start fresh after Christmas with workouts.
Again, that's where leaders emerge inside and outside the locker room. It's as positive as you make it. Rosters get to expand too. From what I saw Friday night, all the fixable mistakes, it doesn't make sense in my mind for a program to decline the opportunity.

Fenwick went 3-6 in 2005 and made a big run in the Prep Bowl playoffs beating DLS,Larry,Loyola(who beat them earlier in the year 31-7) before barely losing to BR 18 to 13(BR beat them 41 to 27 earlier in the year) so they finished 6-7.This is where the tantrums really started.A 3-6 team getting a extra month of practice & games & a PRIVATE school at that.Boo-Hoo.

Top 40???
I disagree. At most you allow the Chicago conference state qualifiers to compete for prep bowl glory. That brings you to a manageable 24 teams.

I loved it when the Prep Bowl invited Marian Catholic & Joliet Catholic out of one of my favorite Conferences the Illini 8 in 1979.I thought both schools should have been invited every year they didn't make the playoffs(JC 1980 the only other year they didn't make it).Marian won a game before Joliet Catholic beat them.Joliet Catholic made the title game before being upset by Julian

Top 40???
I disagree. At most you allow the Chicago conference state qualifiers to compete for prep bowl glory. That brings you to a manageable 24 teams.
I'll meet you in the middle and agree with you but 32 teams because then it dwindles down to the right number.The Inner City Conference should be rewarded with it's own playoffs.Not too long ago they did do so but I think even someone complained about that so it stopped!!

Did not happen.

Home | Site Index | About IHSA | About IHSA.org | Feedback
Chicago Catholic (Blue) 2005

Last updated at 2:16 pm on Sunday, November 27.

If you notice an error in the conference standings, please let us know immediately. We also appreciate updates to coaches' names. You can e-mail sjohnson@ihsa.org or call the IHSA Office at (309) 663-6377.

NOTES:

* Indicates a conference game.
# Indicates a game that does not count for this team when determining playoff qualifiers.

R - conference representative / champion
C - clinched playoff berth with 6 or more wins
A - at-large playoff team (5 wins)

Conference Standings

Conf. Overall Playoff Points
W L W L Pts. Own Opp.

R-Chicago (Mt. Carmel) 6 0 13 1 476 130
C-Chicago (Brother Rice) 4 2 10 4 368 199
C-Chicago (St. Rita) 4 2 9 3 405 135
A-Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 3 3 6 6 240 206
A-New Lenox (Providence) 3 3 5 5 250 249
Oak Park (Fenwick) 1 5 6 7 286 264
Chicago (De La Salle) 0 6 3 7 155 263

Did not happen.
Oak Park (Fenwick)

Nickname: Friars
Head Coach: Joseph DiCanio
2004 Record: 10-3 (Class 5A)
2005 Official Enrollment: 1900.80 (without multiplier: 1152.00)
2005 Football Enrollment: 1916.96 (without multiplier: 1265.43)

L 14 33 10-3 Chicago (Hubbard) 1620.00
W 10 7 8-4 Chicago (Gordon Tech) 966.90
L 24 29 9-3 *Chicago (St. Rita) 2699.40
W 51 0 1-8 Chicago (Hales Franciscan) 442.00
L 27 41 10-4 *Chicago (Brother Rice) 3841.20
W 28 17 3-7 *Chicago (De La Salle) 1937.10
L 21 24 5-5 *New Lenox (Providence Catholic) 1786.95
L 7 31 6-6 *Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 2063.00
L 10 27 13-1 *Chicago (Mt. Carmel) 2458.50
W 42 10 3-7 Chicago (De La Salle) 1937.10
W 29 20 4-6 Burbank (St. Laurence) 2115.30
W 10 7 6-6 Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 2063.00
L 13 18 10-4 Chicago (Brother Rice) 3841.20

If I got this right from my CCL buddy’s most schools have the freshmen turn in their equipment at seasons end with maybe the exception of maybe one or two kids who will be on varsity next year. Most of the sophomores may also turn in their equipment also. The rest move up to the varsity - maybe the first string offense and defense. These players practice together for the prep bowl.

My guys (both in late 50's) were from Leo and DLS. They said they did not play in the prep bowl but their freshmen turned their stuff as did the seniors. The rest of the players practiced for about three weeks. It sucked for the sophomores where not planning on coming back for varsity in the fall. They also had spring practice in which they hit for four weeks and scrimmaged two teams that were not on their fall schedule. Sounds like if they got kids to practice those extra seven weeks the kids may become more invested and not quit over the summer.

If that's the case what's the down side? Not playing in the prep bowl is lending credence to the rumor Badke is not coming back next year. If he is coming back more power to BR. But that rumor is hot and heavy right now.

I know Fenwick played. The crying and complaining about Fenwick in particular did not happen.

Oak Park (Fenwick)

Nickname: Friars
Head Coach: Joseph DiCanio
2004 Record: 10-3 (Class 5A)
2005 Official Enrollment: 1900.80 (without multiplier: 1152.00)
2005 Football Enrollment: 1916.96 (without multiplier: 1265.43)

L 14 33 10-3 Chicago (Hubbard) 1620.00
W 10 7 8-4 Chicago (Gordon Tech) 966.90
L 24 29 9-3 *Chicago (St. Rita) 2699.40
W 51 0 1-8 Chicago (Hales Franciscan) 442.00
L 27 41 10-4 *Chicago (Brother Rice) 3841.20
W 28 17 3-7 *Chicago (De La Salle) 1937.10
L 21 24 5-5 *New Lenox (Providence Catholic) 1786.95
L 7 31 6-6 *Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 2063.00
L 10 27 13-1 *Chicago (Mt. Carmel) 2458.50
W 42 10 3-7 Chicago (De La Salle) 1937.10
W 29 20 4-6 Burbank (St. Laurence) 2115.30
W 10 7 6-6 Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 2063.00
L 13 18 10-4 Chicago (Brother Rice) 3841.20

That's not that impressive of a run. It appears you beat a 3-7 DeLaSalle team, a 4-6 St. Laurence team & a 6-6 Loyola team. I don't expect a book or a 30 for 30 to be done on that magical 2005 Fenwick "big run".

Reactions: TPF523
If I got this right from my CCL buddy’s most schools have the freshmen turn in their equipment at seasons end with maybe the exception of maybe one or two kids who will be on varsity next year. Most of the sophomores may also turn in their equipment also. The rest move up to the varsity - maybe the first string offense and defense. These players practice together for the prep bowl.

My guys (both in late 50's) were from Leo and DLS. They said they did not play in the prep bowl but their freshmen turned their stuff as did the seniors. The rest of the players practiced for about three weeks. It sucked for the sophomores where not planning on coming back for varsity in the fall. They also had spring practice in which they hit for four weeks and scrimmaged two teams that were not on their fall schedule. Sounds like if they got kids to practice those extra seven weeks the kids may become more invested and not quit over the summer.

If that's the case what's the down side? Not playing in the prep bowl is lending credence to the rumor Badke is not coming back next year. If he is coming back more power to BR. But that rumor is hot and heavy right now.
Its Hot and Heavy because you keep bringing it up.
Its not true, Badke not leaving.
I know its good for SR and MC to have that rumor flying around for recruiting purposes

Fenwick went 3-6 in 2005 and made a big run in the Prep Bowl playoffs beating DLS,Larry,Loyola(who beat them earlier in the year 31-7) before barely losing to BR 18 to 13(BR beat them 41 to 27 earlier in the year) so they finished 6-7.This is where the tantrums really started.A 3-6 team getting a extra month of practice & games & a PRIVATE school at that.Boo-Hoo.

Anybody that wants the extra practices can have them. An 0-9 team can practice up to and on the 2nd day of the state championship games if they want to. Surprised not done by more teams; let the seniors go and practice as if the juniors are seniors, Soph's as if juniors and so on. A jump start on next year like a spring practice period.

Reactions: Coachbell88
BR is not playing due to huge amount of injuries that started during summer camp. Then two LBs were lost in the first game against Marist. And too honest this Senior class is a huge disappointment across the board.

Anybody that wants the extra practices can have them. An 0-9 team can practice up to and on the 2nd day of the state championship games if they want to. Surprised not done by more teams; let the seniors go and practice as if the juniors are seniors, Soph's as if juniors and so on. A jump start on next year like a spring practice period.

Because there are other sports, fatigue and a disinterest of continuing after a season just ended.

Im almost certain you are the same guy that has complained in the past about rumors regarding Kuska leaving Rita specifically for Lockport being not true. Dont be a contradiction

First of all, the kids that leave to play other sports will leave. To be part of a 100 year old tradition is something great, if you sell it to the kids and take pride in it, the kids will follow suit. Anyone who has played or coaches in the catholic league should be unified in keeping this. From a tradition standpoint!!!

Because there are other sports, fatigue and a disinterest of continuing after a season just ended.

Re fatigue: No one said you had to be "clangin' and bangin'" at these practices. Could be limited contact, walk-through, film, offensive/defensive install, special teams work, etc. Doesn't have to be every day either; could be 2-3 days per week.

Re Other sports: if a kid is in winter sports, he goes and does it once it starts.

Re Disinterest: well I guess you know who your players are and aren't then!

Re fatigue: No one said you had to be "clangin' and bangin'" at these practices. Could be limited contact, walk-through, film, offensive/defensive install, special teams work, etc. Doesn't have to be every day either; could be 2-3 days per week.

Re Other sports: if a kid is in winter sports, he goes and does it once it starts.

Re Disinterest: well I guess you know who your players are and aren't then!

I am not going to judge who my players are based on 3 weeks of walk-throughs in November after my team has been eliminated from the playoffs. Which is another reason not to have it. You may end up causing problems between yourself and certain players during a pointless time of the year.

Im almost certain you are the same guy that has complained in the past about rumors regarding Kuska leaving Rita specifically for Lockport being not true. Dont be a contradiction
I don't remember posting anything about Kuska. The rumors started about BR when Badke left teaching. The opting out of the prep bowl just rekindled the talk. Everyone this time of year has lots of injuries. I believe BR people attacked PC on this board for opting out in the past. Changing their mind and playing in the prep bowl would help quiet the talk. Is anyone saying 3-4 weeks of extra practice would not help next years team? That makes no sense.

PS there is a strong rumor Kuska is leaving SR soon as his last kid graduates from the school too! Lenti will never leave, will be stuffed, and greet everyone in the foyer of the school.

Last edited:
Its Hot and Heavy because you keep bringing it up.
Its not true, Badke not leaving.
I know its good for SR and MC to have that rumor flying around for recruiting purposes

Like I've said in past posts, speculation on south land Blue/Green teams' coaches leaving is a worthless exercise since BR/MC/SR have an extensive network of alumni that would find quality people to replace quality people if and when they ever decide to move on.

I don't remember posting anything about Kuska. The rumors started about BR when Badke left teaching. The opting out of the prep bowl just rekindled the talk. Everyone this time of year has lots of injuries. I believe BR people attacked PC on this board for opting out in the past. Changing their mind and playing in the prep bowl would help quiet the talk. Is anyone saying 3-4 weeks of extra practice would not help next years team? That makes no sense.

PS there is a strong rumor Kuska is leaving SR soon as his last kid graduates for the school too! Lenti will never leave, will be stuffed, and greet everyone in the foyer of the school.

Did I just dis four schools in one post or speak the truth?

Like I've said in past posts, speculation on south land Blue/Green teams' coaches leaving is a worthless exercise since BR/MC/SR have an extensive network of alumni that would find quality people to replace quality people if and when they ever decide to move on.
Yes but don't you limit yourselves to just alumni. Holecek did not go to Loyola.

PS there is a strong rumor Kuska is leaving SR soon as his last kid graduates for the school too! Lenti will never leave, will be stuffed, and greet everyone in the foyer of the school.

Wrong. Coach Kuska promised me he would stay and coach my great grandkids. So he's in for the next 30 years or so. :D:D:D

You got that right about Lenti. That made me laugh.
Let me put to bed the rumors regarding Badke leaving, HES NOT. The reason I know this, is because he told me. He also wants to coach his son who is a Freshman
Btw he was in fundraising and never taught at BR, mute point but..
One of the reason he took his old sales job back besides the money was because he would be able to continue coaching.
Rice is lucky to have Badke, along with his pedigree.
Recruits..Badke will be your coach and BR will be back stronger than ever.
Go Crusaders

Reactions: ssczar76
Im also a firm believer in the Prep Bowl and allowing 16,17,and 18yr old kids to play as long as possible. Its a great tradition that is specific to the CCL and public league. Its the beauty of sports and playing for the love of the game.

No coach would be excited to continue a 2-7 season except for the ones who thought they wouldn't win a game. Any coach that is competitive would consider that a failure and have no interest in moving forward. That being said, I understand tradition and wish others had the same opportunity. I can see both sides of the argument. There is no benefit in practicing if the next game isn't until the next year. If I haven't figured out about the underclassmen by the end of the season, a few extra weeks of practice will not change that.

Just a thought.

ADVERTISEMENT