ADVERTISEMENT

So how are things going for the border states?

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Are there lots of schools shutting down? Are most on track to play this week in Indiana etc?

I know in NW Indiana some schools bowed out entirely, lot of teams are postponing the opener a couple weeks. Wisconsin has delayed starts...We'll see how it goes, I give them props for trying and I'm jealous they will at least have some fall football, but I wouldn't bet a dime that they complete the season. Notre Dame just had to go to remote learning after cases doubled in a week....High Schools just don't have the money or resources to play through this like the NFL or Big time D-1 Schools do. I’m hoping it works out because it will strengthen our chances to play this Spring if outlying states have a successful fall if the magical vaccine doesn’t appear

Last edited:
a few kentucky schools are having issues. they're claiming one school's weight room has affected 38 positives(this includes family members, not just athletes). this was hazard independent hs.

the two military schools(fort knox and fort campbell) have shut down all fall sports. they are under a different ruling body though.

Notre Dame just had to go to remote learning after cases doubled in a week....High Schools just don't have the money or resources to play through this like the NFL or Big time D-1 Schools do. I’m hoping it works out because it will strengthen our chances to play this Spring if outlying states have a successful fall if the magical vaccine doesn’t appear
Univ. of North Carolina shut down on-campus learning as well. Going all remote after numerous outbreaks. Does not bode well.

Univ. of North Carolina shut down on-campus learning as well. Going all remote after numerous outbreaks. Does not bode well.
This is turning into a “duh, what did you all think was gonna happen?” Everybody knew there would be cases so why the hybrid charade and not go remote from the start? It’s looking like universities are pulling the bait and switch.

Reactions: USD24 and mullin17
Truly idiotic. Bringing in kids from all over and surprised there are positive cases? The actual IRRESPONSIBLE thing to do is to send them all home. Back to their homes and communities with older and more at risk people. Should keep all kids on campus, essentially a bubble, all amongst generally the least at risk population. On campus with access to real testing protocols and possible tracing. Instead send them home to god God knows what, charge high tuition for computer learning. Truly idiotic. It's going to take court action or massive protests to change the guard on this stuff. I've never seen so much cowardice and fear of fantasy liability in my life before all this (school stuff and everything else included the past 6 months).

Boys, I doubt there will be any meaningful football at any level this year. I can't imagine NFL teams not being overwhelmed by the virus. Already, the dominoes in college ball have fallen, and, does anyone really expect prep ball in any state?

Boys, I doubt there will be any meaningful football at any level this year. I can't imagine NFL teams not being overwhelmed by the virus. Already, the dominoes in college ball have fallen, and, does anyone really expect prep ball in any state?

NFL coaches and players could die from the virus and it would be next man up. If there is a sport that does not care about health it is the NFL.

Sorry fellas, but if there's a major breakout on a team, its game(s) will be canceled. Too many of these, and bye bye season.

The public outcry would be overwhelming.

The Canadian Football League cancelled its season. This news isn't new. But they depend more on revenue from ticket sales as opposed to huge TV deals. My understanding is that the province of Quebec is having major issues with Covid.

Just saw the NFL will plan on moving through the season, regardless of infection. It's next man up and no team gets a reprieve from an outbreak. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Canadian Football League cancelled its season. This news isn't new. But they depend more on revenue from ticket sales as opposed to huge TV deals. My understanding is that the province of Quebec is having major issues with Covid.

Just saw the NFL will plan on moving through the season, regardless of infection. It's next man up and no team gets a reprieve from an outbreak. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
If that is really the NFL’s attitude and players go down to covid, this can get ugly from a publicity standpoint. It’ll look like owners putting players out there like soldiers. Buckle up.

If that is really the NFL’s attitude and players go down to covid, this can get ugly from a publicity standpoint. It’ll look like owners putting players out there like soldiers. Buckle up.

The NFL's Covid problem will be caused solely cause by immature players who won't be able to social distance outside of the team facilities. You would think having a multi million dollar contract would be enough to keep a guy away from a strip club but their stupidity is amazing.

NFL coaches and players could die from the virus and it would be next man up. If there is a sport that does not care about health it is the NFL.
The opt-out declaration is in place and most are voluntarily choosing to assume the inherent risks for the reward.

Reactions: ClownBaby
The NFL's Covid problem will be caused solely cause by immature players who won't be able to social distance outside of the team facilities. You would think having a multi million dollar contract would be enough to keep a guy away from a strip club but their stupidity is amazing.
Perhaps. I’m going off of witnessing how our country reacts. We’ve had a lot of material this year and I just think this will be more.

yeah, but if you're living on a multi-million dollar budget, you may reconsider.

This why the average NFL player is broke three years after they are done playing, no thought put into what happens when the spigot is turned off.

Reactions: caravan8
This why the average NFL player is broke three years after they are doing playing, no thought put into what happens when the spigot is turned off.
I'm not denying that, but I'm sure it's a huge factor and I don't have any sponsors or endorsements, but I'm guessing there is some language in there about actually playing not due to injury.

This why the average NFL player is broke three years after they are done playing, no thought put into what happens when the spigot is turned off.
That happens to a lot of people when the spigot is turned off. It's called layoffs and loss of jobs. Our bankruptcy courts are full of them. But if a guy makes $80,000 a year and spends $125,000 a year he's heading down the same road too.

Anyth
It beats the hell out of collecting unemployment.
Anything beats the hell out of collecting unemployment. Unless you're one of the people who were making more collecting unemployment than working.

To me, the best idea for athletes when they sign big contracts is to defer some of that income. Do you remember Bobby Bonilla? He signed a big contract with the Mets about midway through his career. At the end of the 1999 season rather than pay him $5.9 M he was still owed, the Mets offered to pay him 1.2 Million a year from 2011 through 2036. That deal also pays him 8% interest which has worked out too. He has been out of the big leagues since 2001.

Every July 1st is Bobby Bonilla day as that's the day he collects the annual money. Very nice deal for him and he will be 73 years old when he collects the last check.

Anyth

Anything beats the hell out of collecting unemployment. Unless you're one of the people who were making more collecting unemployment than working.

To me, the best idea for athletes when they sign big contracts is to defer some of that income. Do you remember Bobby Bonilla? He signed a big contract with the Mets about midway through his career. At the end of the 1999 season rather than pay him $5.9 M he was still owed, the Mets offered to pay him 1.2 Million a year from 2011 through 2036. That deal also pays him 8% interest which has worked out too. He has been out of the big leagues since 2001.

Every July 1st is Bobby Bonilla day as that's the day he collects the annual money. Very nice deal for him and he will be 73 years old when he collects the last check.
I think Iverson had his agent put several million dollars in a fund that he couldn't touch for a while, just in case.

All of the dominoes have not fallen in college football. Unless I'm missing some current news, SEC, Big 12 and ACC are still playing football.

Reading one of Edgy's twitter posts, it seems a few Big 10 coaches are not happy about the fall season being scrapped. Seems like the Big 10 Commissioner didn't include any coaches in the loop when making his decision to scrap fall football. Sound familiar?

Reading one of Edgy's twitter posts, it seems a few Big 10 coaches are not happy about the fall season being scrapped. Seems like the Big 10 Commissioner didn't include any coaches in the loop when making his decision to scrap fall football. Sound familiar?
There was a parent protest today outside the Big 10 HQ I believe. Think I read 30 parents of Big 10 football players...35 media members covering it.

Well was interesting watching NFHS last light. Several HS games on, they were playing in a downpour in Tennessee. Fans in the stands but have no idea if it was less then normal either because of COVID or the weather. All the players were shoulder to shoulder on the sideline, one team looked like they had 25-30 cheerleaders on the track. We will see, was having trouble getting feed from Indiana schools so not sure if they were playing last night or not.

didnt want to make a new thread but has anyone heard how Indiana is after week 1 as far as cases go etc?
Probably won’t know for another week or two, symptoms aren’t immediate. I hope it works because it will strengthen our chances to have our Spring season...but it’s a real long shot that all goes well the rest of the way in these states.

Reactions: FBCoach8
his grandpa lives in the district, my wife could have moved there as well and teach remotely there. It’s a public school, I don’t think they’d have a choice if all the paperwork was legit. Regardless, we didn’t do it.

Reactions: Gene K.
his grandpa lives in the district, my wife could have moved there as well and teach remotely there. It’s a public school, I don’t think they’d have a choice if all the paperwork was legit. Regardless, we didn’t do it.

He is probably better off as they are not very good in football. They won their 1st game against Munster 38-0 but lost their 2nd game 28-0 against Andrean.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT