ADVERTISEMENT

Rodewald AD?

DJrodey24

Nov 3, 2003
Hey guys,

It’s been a long time since I’ve jumped on here regularly, but I wanted to share with you a career update. I have NOT made this public just yet.

I’m looking to get back to Chicago after being out here in the desert since 2016. Plain and simple, the education system in Arizona are horrific and the community feel is not like it is in the Midwest. I have two little girls and want to get them back to Illinois (despite the taxes!)

Also, I’m looking to step back from TV full time and become an athletic director. This is something I’ve wanted to pursue for a long time and I think now is the time. I’ve shared with some of you some of my ideas for the IHSA, tournaments, scheduling, etc. and I’m almost done with the education requirements that would open the door to get jobs.

With that said, you guys have your ears to the ground all the time. You hear about jobs opening before they’re posted. I ask you to send along anything you hear so I can get my foot in the door. Private? Public? Big school? Small school? It doesn’t matter.

Again, I have NOT made this public. If I did, I'd probably get fired. I know the jobs won’t turn over for a few months, but anything will help!

-Matt Rodewald
DJrodey24@yahoo.com

Going to be tough to get AD job at least at a public school without school experience. Most AD’s if not all have climbed the chain with teaching and coaching before they got AD job

Reactions: DJrodey24
Good Luck Matt, kudos to you for chasing your dream. We certainly know it's not the taxes, the Bears, the Cubs or the Blackhawks that are drawing you back. LoL.

Reactions: DJrodey24
Going to be tough to get AD job at least at a public school without school experience. Most AD’s if not all have climbed the chain with teaching and coaching before they got AD job
Yup! Good ol' boys club plays a role as well. I think I can break through that, but I certainly know what I'm up against.

Have you considered applying for a teaching job with an asst. A.D. position?
Just a thought.

Have you considered applying for a teaching job with an asst. A.D. position?
Just a thought.

Yup! I certainly have and have had conversations in the past. I know a lot of the #2 jobs are split by season. That makes it a little trickier.

This is great advice. Finishing academic requirements is a minor factor in getting a foot in the door. Building respect and a reputation in coaching and/or leadership for a period of time in a position "below" AD somewhere needs (or, at least should) be in place first.

Huge fan of your work Matt! Having listened/followed for years I know you will make an amazing AD.

Reactions: Bowie50
I’m confused do people think I’m like the AD or something? I promise you I’m not, I’m literally just a former player, I’ll be watching today probably along the fence with no responsibilities besides feeding myself.

Quite the responsibility

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
I’m confused do people think I’m like the AD or something? I promise you I’m not, I’m literally just a former player, I’ll be watching today probably along the fence with no responsibilities besides feeding myself.
I think it stems from some throw away offseason scheduling thread. But I know you’re not and was just busting chops because of some poster(s) having that wrong perception of you. Good luck to Naz today

This is great advice. Finishing academic requirements is a minor factor in getting a foot in the door. Building respect and a reputation in coaching and/or leadership for a period of time in a position "below" AD somewhere needs (or, at least should) be in place first.
I don't agree and metrics say the past path is not the only way. That's why I'm doing this. Having a media centric feel for sports through the prism of academics should make me a quality candidate, particularly for a program that has the tax base but often struggles.

Ok...but it never hurts to reach out to fabulous people DJ..perhaps he could steer you in the right direction....you're one of Geneva's favorite sons....
Very kind of you. Dave and I stay in touch. I know he's always able to lend an ear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT