ADVERTISEMENT

Rodewald AD?

Off the top of my head, here are the 4 most recent AD hires (1 actually forthcoming) from the SoWestSubConf followed by the previous position:
  • Lockport (former AD at another SWSC HS)
  • Andrew (former AD at a SoSubConf HS)
  • Joliet Central (former PE dept. chairperson at a SWSC HS)
  • H-F (former AD at 2 different SWSC high schools)
Corrections and/or additions welcomed.

I don't agree and metrics say the past path is not the only way. That's why I'm doing this. Having a media centric feel for sports through the prism of academics should make me a quality candidate, particularly for a program that has the tax base but often struggles.
The problem with that is that most AD's at public schools have to do teacher evaluations, and without teaching experience, most schools would probably shy away from a person with no classroom experience.

The problem with that is that most AD's at public schools have to do teacher evaluations, and without teaching experience, most schools would probably shy away from a person with no classroom experience.
At the larger schools, PE/Health faculty evaluations are often conducted by a PE/Health Department Chairperson. This position and the Athletic Director are actually in different lanes in the school hierarchy - one interscholastic sports and the other academic.

At the larger schools, PE/Health faculty evaluations are often conducted by a PE/Health Department Chairperson. This position and the Athletic Director are actually in different lanes in the school hierarchy - one interscholastic sports and the other academic.
Not in my area. A lot of schools in our area have gone to lead/head teachers to run the department to eliminate some of the admin positions so the AD's still do teacher evaluations.

Bradley has promoted Assistant AD Mike Kohl to the AD position, per the Daily Journal. Kohl is retaining his Football Head Coaching position, but losing his P.E. teaching position in the move. Apparently they are looking to promote from within for the vacant asst. AD position.

Congrats Mike!

Reactions: mullin17
Bradley has promoted Assistant AD Mike Kohl to the AD position, per the Daily Journal. Kohl is retaining his Football Head Coaching position, but losing his P.E. teaching position in the move. Apparently they are looking to promote from within for the vacant asst. AD position.

Congrats Mike!
He is a great guy and good for the school.

Jobs I saw open...

Wheeling
LWC
H-F
Roycemore (Evanston)

...your thoughts welcomed.

Jobs I saw open...

Wheeling
LWC
H-F
Roycemore (Evanston)

...your thoughts welcomed.

If you do not have your type 75, Roycemore is your chance. While you technically do not need your 75 to be and AD, most non CPS public schools will not hire without one.

Word is next HF AD will be Matt Lyke (who is at HF now), who was unfortunately let go from LWC
Interesting as the investigation is still ongoing related to the LWC athletic office funds. Does Homewood-Flossmoor have information they are not sharing?

Interesting as the investigation is still ongoing related to the LWC athletic office funds. Does Homewood-Flossmoor have information they are not sharing?
Lyke was/is not under investigation. It happened under his watch, so was a fall guy in the aftermath of LW $. He is already an employee of HF.

Reactions: Bwm57

I thought they charged the secretary and case was closing? Is it still under investigation?

In other news did you see this week that 161 cancelled half of the feasibility study having to do with purchasing LW North? Only keeping enrollment numbers. Appears that dream may be over.

Concerning Math Lyke's departure, "throwing the baby out with the bath water" is not too surprising here, still in the Supt. Wylie aftermath. Everyone in the district is likely on a very, short leash.

Reactions: mullin17
I have never implicated Mr. Lyke , nor have I said anything negative about his situation at LWC. The truth is the accused individual has the file sealed and there is still a haze over the findings. Mr. Lyke has moved over to H-F and perhaps they have information that has not been shared regarding this situation. It is reality to say in the real world the boss often takes the fall for the underling. Good luck to all as they move forward.

Reactions: Gene K.
I thought they charged the secretary and case was closing? Is it still under investigation?

In other news did you see this week that 161 cancelled half of the feasibility study having to do with purchasing LW North? Only keeping enrollment numbers. Appears that dream may be over.
File was sealed regarding LWC last I checked. SD161 and the Cookville plan have an upward battle to reach fruition as designed. What was it 30K to have enrollment forecasts made?

Merry Christmas Bwm57. Let it go my friend. The district has moved on and you should as well. Seriously. The good news is the majority have.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Happy New Year. As you watch the Texans in the sleepy Saturday wild card on ESPN, just thought I'd follow up on this thread.

Hear anything? Let me know!!

Don’t know if a Catholic school would pay enough but heard BR needs an AD....

Wheeling told me flat out they won't interview me because they only want to "interview individuals who have current athletic director experience."

Thought you should all know what I'm up against.

Wheeling told me flat out they won't interview me because they only want to "interview individuals who have current athletic director experience."

Some elements of truth are being revealed from the content in earlier posts to this thread. The Chicagoland suburban pubic high school AD position has a long-time reputation of existing within a "gated community" for the most part.

Some elements of truth are being revealed from the content in earlier posts to this thread. The Chicagoland suburban pubic high school AD position has a long-time reputation of existing within a "gated community" for the most part.
Sometimes schools have specific needs or ideas about what/who they are looking for. Do not take it personally. At least they did not waste your time or emotions offering an interview. Some situations require different perspectives. Maybe Wheeling is in a position where they feel an experienced person is the best fit. That doesn't mean you are up against anything. Finding a job isn't always as easy or simple as just putting your name in. Keep your head up and keep looking, or look for opportunities to be an assistant ad, or scheduler, or even assistant coach and offer to work other events to gain that experience.

As referenced before about the some south suburban conferences, several AD's there without the "gated" experience you refer to...check Sandburg, Joliet Central. I'm sure there are others that have hired people without prior experience as well...it is timing.

Keep fighting and something will pop.

Not surprised at all.

I can't imagine any large or medium sized suburban public schools that would not require some sort of previous AD experience (AD or Asst AD) to fill a vacant AD position.

An AD position would have a huge learning curve for someone who has never worked in high school athletics administration. Said curve would be even more pronounced the larger the overall athletic program. Secondly, the available pool of prospective candidates in a large metro area like Chicago allows those large and medium sized suburban schools the luxury of being more selective in terms of their requirements.

I think your best bet is CPS or a small-to-medium sized school in the collar counties (or beyond) where the available pool of potential candidates is smaller.

I also think that smaller private schools would probably be less selective in terms of their requirements. A small private school like Roycemore, which was mentioned earlier in this thread, is a good example. Going that route for a couple of years would give you that previous AD experience that you could parlay into your second AD job. I imagine that private schools might place more value on your broadcast media experience than would a larger public school. They are always looking for new ideas and inexpensive angles to promote their schools in a competitive market.

It wasn't too long ago that your average small school (1A or 2A football) would have the main boys PE instructor be AD and head coach of at least one team. There probably still are a number of 1A football schools that only play 3 boys & 3 girls sports that operate like this.

Manteno, in the '80s, was like this...the Supt., HS & MS principals were the only administrators & the main boys PE teacher was the AD for the whole district and hoops HC, and baseball HC for a couple of years as well. But growth has resulted in now two vice principals at the high school and 2 at the middle school- one doubles as dean of students, the other doubles as AD.

Continuing education requirements for teachers, which requires basically that they get a masters, results in hordes of teachers at south suburban schools with masters from Governor's State with administrative credentials...These hordes make it easier to keep key coaches by promoting them to Vice-Principal, Dean of Students or AD...like Haines at Manteno or Reents at Wilmington.

It wasn't too long ago that your average small school (1A or 2A football) would have the main boys PE instructor be AD and head coach of at least one team. There probably still are a number of 1A football schools that only play 3 boys & 3 girls sports that operate like this.

Manteno, in the '80s, was like this...the Supt., HS & MS principals were the only administrators & the main boys PE teacher was the AD for the whole district and hoops HC, and baseball HC for a couple of years as well. But growth has resulted in now two vice principals at the high school and 2 at the middle school- one doubles as dean of students, the other doubles as AD.

Continuing education requirements for teachers, which requires basically that they get a masters, results in hordes of teachers at south suburban schools with masters from Governor's State with administrative credentials...These hordes make it easier to keep key coaches by promoting them to Vice-Principal, Dean of Students or AD...like Haines at Manteno or Reents at Wilmington.

FWIW: I have a pair of master's in Secondary Ed and Ed Leadership

FWIW: I have a pair of master's in Secondary Ed and Ed Leadership

But you need a type 75 license in most schools outside of CPS and Private schools. A lot of schools also use ADs as classroom evaluators.

But you need a type 75 license in most schools outside of CPS and Private schools. A lot of schools also use ADs as classroom evaluators.
Not that I know anything about this, but in IL most masters programs for education that are leadership based culminate with the person taking their Type 75 licensing test.

Also, and again, not that I know anything about this, but there will be some inevitable grumblings from teachers with Type 75s being passed over for someone with no teaching experience.

Also, there will be some who only went through the 75 program for the bump in pay - I swear that I don’t have personal experience in this - who will stoke those flames just for their own amusement.

PS: Eighty-Three

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT