ADVERTISEMENT

Ref Question

PowerI66

Oct 11, 2012
Are there any protections for players that have their helmets pulled off by the opponent? Just saw a play where a player's helmet was ripped off on a sack, and he had to go to the sideline for a play.

If it is ruled intentional and defensive player is flagged, he gets to stay in game.

I️ have one I️ don’t understand. Pass play where defensive holding is called. Play results in TD.

How can you award a TD on the play, then do the extra point, then award the 10 yard penalty on the ensuing kickoff?

It seems like the penalty was refused, the play accepted and TD awarded.

Is this right?

Any accepted penalty on a scoring play is enforced on either the PAT or the ensuing kickoff

Original question. If the helmet came off as the result of a penalty he can stay in the game

Any accepted penalty on a scoring play is enforced on either the PAT or the ensuing kickoff

Wow..is that unique to high school? Always thought you declined the penalty and accepted play. Not my first mistake on rules ;)

Wow..is that unique to high school? Always thought you declined the penalty and accepted play. Not my first mistake on rules ;)

I should have said an accepted penalty on the defense, My bad

High school started it about 5 -6 years ago maybe longer

I should have said an accepted penalty on the defense, My bad

High school started it about 5 -6 years ago maybe longer

Well wait. If you score the TD and during the play there was a flag, I thought by definition you were refusing the flag and accepting the scoring play. In that even, you are not accepting the penalty.

This was not a dead ball unsportsmanlike...it was defensive holding away from the play

also back to the original question, if the ball carrier's helmet comes off the play is instantly dead

I remember last year I had a question about this rule. My son had his helmet ripped off at Rita, and he made the tackle without it.

Ended up a 15 yarder against him forget the reason why, but I believe they called it as an unsportsmanlike.

If a players helmet comes off and he continues to play without it, then yes it is an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for safety reasons.

It is a 15 yard penalty to continue to play without your helmet, but the penalty is "Illegal participation", not an unsportsmanlike penalty.
I know some might say what is the difference, remember 2 unsportsmanlike is an ejection. So we do not want to give an unwarranted unsportsmanlike penalty

Reactions: RockSoup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT