ADVERTISEMENT

Q: So who needs to get off to a good early start in 2018?

I’m expecting a 1-2 start for MC but they need to be competitive weeks 2 & 3 against Swagger High and The Kings of the CCL. With the PR nightmare they endured this offseason it, the noise will get really loud very early if they get blown out in those games.

Reactions: McCaravan
If MC can pull an upset off against Maine South or LA it would keep the press and the fired up Lenti alums off Coach Lynch. They have DLS in week 4 who returns a QB who beat them last season and a D1 linemen, but I think they won’t look past them this year.

Sandburg opens with Lyons, Curie, Bolingbrook then LW East. Waiting in the last 5 games are 3 playoff teams from last year (2 of which won 2 playoff games plus H-F), and the remaining two were near-misses at 4-5.

Definitely JC. Cant go 3 years in a row without playoffs. 2 tough games to open must at least split.
I think it is always important for the mid level ESCC teams to get off to a good start such as MCC, Viator, Carmel, St. Pats. We have seen MCC and Viator put themselves in position to get 5 wins and make the playoffs the past couple years, but if you stumble in those first 2 games it will be very tough. Big first week for MCC as well because they are playing a public school team within the county, and that is always a big game in the area no matter which public school it is, but it being Johnsburg who has had some recent success and Maloney left Johnsburg for MCC.

Reactions: DCH88
Sandburg opens with Lyons, Curie, Bolingbrook then LW East. Waiting in the last 5 games are 3 playoff teams from last year (2 of which won 2 playoff games plus H-F), and the remaining two were near-misses at 4-5.
Wouldn't mind trading them DGS for Lyons, but that's a good localish matchup for them. I can't fathom why they scheduled like that, but I respect it.

Metea Valley:
they have WWS, Lake Park and Dekalb as their first 3 games. They need to win two of them to have any shot at the playoffs.

Wheaton Warrenville South:
They have Metea, Lockport, and Geneva as their first 3 games. They need to win two of them to make playoffs and maybe all 3. On paper they should be favored in all 3 games.

Waubonsie Valley:
They have OPRF, Libertyville, and Neuqua as their first three games. They need to win two of the first 3 I think to make a realistic playoff run as Edwardsville, Prarie Ridge, Neuqua part dux, and Naperville Central would be looming still on the schedule. North and Metea Towards the end of the year they should be favored to win.

Glenbard North's first four games are Neuqua Valley, Warren, St. Charles East & Batavia.
I am of the understanding they are not returning too many starters this year. Current Senior and Junior class have just been average the past few years on lower levels. If they don't come out of the gate blazing they can be 0-4. When was the last time GBN was 0-4?
I hope to be wrong because I love the style of football GBN plays, but they lost a lot of talent and have a very tough first four games.

Glenbard North's first four games are Neuqua Valley, Warren, St. Charles East & Batavia.
I am of the understanding they are not returning too many starters this year. Current Senior and Junior class have just been average the past few years on lower levels. If they don't come out of the gate blazing they can be 0-4. When was the last time GBN was 0-4?
I hope to be wrong because I love the style of football GBN plays, but they lost a lot of talent and have a very tough first four games.
Don’t put too much into how they performed on lower levels. They have a good staff, if they hit the weight room and buy into the system I’ve seen teams go from 2-7 as fresh to State Champs as seniors

Reactions: Q5clan

They have started 0-2 a few years (2015 and last year I think) but always manage to right the ship and they play lights out towards the end of the season. They have Neuqua’s number for some odd reason because I don’t think NV has ever beaten GBN in the three years of the 9 team DVC.

Their numbers seemed to be very low at all levels last year. I don’t want to be a “Debbie Downer” but at best I see them as 1-3 in that first four game stretch and I think the odds are very high that they will go 0-4.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
If MC can pull an upset off against Maine South or LA it would keep the press and the fired up Lenti alums off Coach Lynch. They have DLS in week 4 who returns a QB who beat them last season and a D1 linemen, but I think they won’t look past them this year.
Won’t be much looking past anyone this season. DLS returns some players, but I don’t see them pulling the upset against MC again. An upset of Maine South would be nice.

Neuqua has some pretty good skill players coming back. QB is probably the biggest if but whomever it is will have some talent to work with. Chevy at RB, Stare and Hoffman at WR. The D will be typical Neuqua...hard nosed, well coached, and athletic on the edges. Youth might be an issue but the talent isn’t.

First four are tough:
GBN
Stevie
@Waubonsie
@Normal Community

That’s a tough stretch. 3-1 and the Cats are off to the races. 2-2 won’t kill ‘em.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Neuqua has some pretty good skill players coming back. QB is probably the biggest if but whomever it is will have some talent to work with. Chevy at RB, Stare and Hoffman at WR. The D will be typical Neuqua...hard nosed, well coached, and athletic on the edges. Youth might be an issue but the talent isn’t.

First four are tough:
GBN
Stevie
@Waubonsie
@Normal Community

That’s a tough stretch. 3-1 and the Cats are off to the races. 2-2 won’t kill ‘em.

I like that RB that shared some time with Raupaugh in the backfield last year. If they get their Oline to gel they will be tough as always.

I’m thinking they should be heavy favorites over GBN and should beat Normal? Stevie is an unknown - not sure what they have coming back. They should be the favorite in the WV game,...but I have a feeling both teams are in the same parkpark talent wise and it’s possible they split the doubleheader this year with each winning the home game (hopefully).

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
BR's first four games are Marist, Crete-Rice, Fenwick and Loyola all at home. 3-1 would be great but 2-2 is a must. With rest of the schedule being PC, Rita, Marmion, Leo and Montini they can't afford to start worse than 2-2. I understand there's a lot of experience returning but doesn't guarantee a great team. Hopefully these kids are gelling and the injury bug stays away this year.

I like that RB that shared some time with Raupaugh in the backfield last year. If they get their Oline to gel they will be tough as always.

I’m thinking they should be heavy favorites over GBN and should beat Normal? Stevie is an unknown - not sure what they have coming back. They should be the favorite in the WV game,...but I have a feeling both teams are in the same parkpark talent wise and it’s possible they split the doubleheader this year with each winning the home game (hopefully).
Will Chevalier (Chevy) is the RB.

Normal is generally a tough out at home. Not sure what to expect from GBN or Stevie but they are both historically tough as well. WV is, well, you know that story.

Don’t put too much into how they performed on lower levels. They have a good staff, if they hit the weight room and buy into the system I’ve seen teams go from 2-7 as fresh to State Champs as seniors
Lower levels are part of the eventual equation but only a small part. Transfers, sophs on Varsity, specialization in other sports. MC 2010 sophs went 5-4 but won 8A in 2012. But they had something like 7 sophs up. So u have to look at each case individually.

Won’t be much looking past anyone this season. DLS returns some players, but I don’t see them pulling the upset against MC again. An upset of Maine South would be nice.
Playing in the CCL and watching CCL football most of my life, I find it strange to be talking About the Caravan being a “dark horse” or underdog.

I think it is always important for the mid level ESCC teams to get off to a good start such as MCC, Viator, Carmel, St. Pats. We have seen MCC and Viator put themselves in position to get 5 wins and make the playoffs the past couple years, but if you stumble in those first 2 games it will be very tough. Big first week for MCC as well because they are playing a public school team within the county, and that is always a big game in the area no matter which public school it is, but it being Johnsburg who has had some recent success and Maloney left Johnsburg for MCC.
The first 2 games are very important for MCC and in my opinion are must wins to make the playoffs. Go Canes!

Lower levels are part of the eventual equation but only a small part. Transfers, sophs on Varsity, specialization in other sports. MC 2010 sophs went 5-4 but won 8A in 2012. But they had something like 7 sophs up. So u have to look at each case individually.
They have 8 up this year. Not sure if they will all stay up, but most will. Sophomore football is the forgotten level.

BR's first four games are Marist, Crete-Rice, Fenwick and Loyola all at home. 3-1 would be great but 2-2 is a must. With rest of the schedule being PC, Rita, Marmion, Leo and Montini they can't afford to start worse than 2-2. I understand there's a lot of experience returning but doesn't guarantee a great team. Hopefully these kids are gelling and the injury bug stays away this year.
Really looking forward to Marist/BR week 1. Marist has 2 stud receivers and a returning QB. Not sure of their defense. Rice has a lot returning and a good running game. Should be a South Side Classic

They have 8 up this year. Not sure if they will all stay up, but most will. Sophomore football is the forgotten level.
Wow that’s a lot up. I’ve heard the RB is legit and should see a good number of carries. What about the other players who will be up?

Playing in the CCL and watching CCL football most of my life, I find it strange to be talking About the Caravan being a “dark horse” or underdog.
I don’t think it’s so much that they’re an underdog (except weeks 2 & 3) as much as there is an unknown factor as far as the offense goes. As stated, I expect them to start out 1-2 and then finish 7-2 or 6-3. I think the key will be how they play in weeks 2-3 that will tell how their season will go. If they’re close games it will do a lot to build confidence for a young coach as well as silence some of the angry alumni

Montini is moving to the CCL Blue this year so obviously they need to get a good start. Should be a very interesting year for Montini playing with the big boys!

Montini is moving to the CCL Blue this year so obviously they need to get a good start. Should be a very interesting year for Montini playing with the big boys!

I looked at Montinis schedule and they should start 4-0. After that they play Rita, Loyola, Fenwick and then Providence and Rice. I think they will go 6-3 by beating Fenwick and Rita.

Reactions: Gene K.
I looked at Montinis schedule and they should start 4-0. After that they play Rita, Loyola, Fenwick and then Providence and Rice. I think they will go 6-3 by beating Fenwick and Rita.

Montini should be 4-0 with three running clocks in the first four games (Hyde Park, Christ the King and St. Joes). Montini may have to break a sweat in the Marmion Academy. Advantages after four games the offense’s timing should be crisp and the team should be healthy. Looking at Edgy’s 100 days to countdown I see Fenwick at 80. I don’t see Montini. Montini, Rita, Loyola, Providence and Brother Rice could all be top 30 teams. That's a meat grinder for sure.

How much does Montini have coming back?

Last edited:
I didn't see the Montini's schedule before I made my post. 4 wins out of the gate looks very doable. Montini has a lot of talent coming back at receiver and running back. Also a very good group of linebackers. Who is going to be the QB and how much size on the O and D lines are the major concerns I have. Montini has several above average Juniors who had a lot of playing time last year so they should be ready by the time they get into the blue schedule. 6-3 in the blue would be outstanding for a 5A team.

Hope I'm wrong but I just don't see how Lake Forest makes the playoffs this year. Early stumbles against Antioch or Wheaton North would spell doom with Lake Zurich, Stevenson, Warren & Libertyville later on...even the Zion game was tough last year. They have to be 1-1 at worst going to week 3.

But hey, 11 playoffs in 12 years has been a nice run. I think that coach does a great job.

I didn't see the Montini's schedule before I made my post. 4 wins out of the gate looks very doable. Montini has a lot of talent coming back at receiver and running back. Also a very good group of linebackers. Who is going to be the QB and how much size on the O and D lines are the major concerns I have. Montini has several above average Juniors who had a lot of playing time last year so they should be ready by the time they get into the blue schedule. 6-3 in the blue would be outstanding for a 5A team.
I thought I heard from a montini fan on this board that Christ the King was off of their schedule now. @Wassup13 can you clear this up for us?

Coal City will need to at least split the first two games. Week 1 with Morris and Week 2 with Wilmington. They will still have two very good teams in Streator and Manteno down the road

The Caravan found a quarterback after a woeful first half and played Loyola even in the second half. They also beat an ESL team that would have beaten both Loyola and Phillips. I'm not worried about Loyola. What does Maine South have besides a good coach and a history of good running backs and even better quarterbacks? I don't know, but Faulkner was wrong: Sometimes the past is the past.

The Caravan found a quarterback after a woeful first half and played Loyola even in the second half. They also beat an ESL team that would have beaten both Loyola and Phillips. I'm not worried about Loyola. What does Maine South have besides a good coach and a history of good running backs and even better quarterbacks? I don't know, but Faulkner was wrong: Sometimes the past is the past.
Apropos your name...

i think you're missing his point.

No, I got his point, but the fool is often a sly fellow who's pretending to be foolish. Carmel will win at least one of the games they're projected to lose.

Last edited:
Hello, all, new member here. I also happen to be a freelance sports reporter covering Oak Park-River Forest and Fenwick.

I would say that OPRF could use a good early start this season. Yes, the Huskies under John Hoerster have made the state playoffs a school-record six consecutive seasons, but it's long past time for them to take that elusive next step. Last year, OPRF was young and inexperienced; this year, there's good returning talent, including DL Izaiah Ruffin, WR Travon Brown, and RB Keith Robinson. Plus, junior QB Toby Kunkel should benefit from being thrown into the fire as a sophomore.

The Huskies open the season at home against Waubonsie Valley, then in Week 3 they're at Hinsdale Central. If they can get those two games in the win column, this could be a sign of a very good 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT