ADVERTISEMENT

Pitch Count

DeanOfSelection

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
What impact do you see this happening? I think all teams will have to have a bonafide closer. Also, have lefty /righty set up guys; almost a pen structured like MLB.

I see teams having to keep more the roster, especially at the lower levels. they need to develop arms.

Depending on how many pitches your closer throws each outing you might need two.

One thing I see is you might have to take a kid out of a game that is cruising along because the pitch count is in the way

With the count at 105, it can get there real quick. Foul balls, strikeouts, errors. A solid closer is paramount.

Reactions: Gene K.
I see starting pitchers only going 3 to 4 innings each depending on pitch count. Then they could use the starters as closers in tight games. Some kids will be pitching even though they haven't done so in the past. Montini has used two kids. one who didn't pitch very much last year and the other not at all. Teams with a lot of half way decent pitchers will be able to spread the workload out a lot better than teams with 2 or 3 really good pitchers. A lot has to do with how the games schedule works out. If you have 3 or 4 games in a week against good hitting teams you might have a probelm.

if a team is facing a top pitcher i bet you would see the batters taking pitches and fouling off just to get through pitch count.

You should be trying to do that anyway. Much easier to say than do, especially for average high school players.

You should be trying to do that anyway. Much easier to say than do, especially for average high school players.
True. i guess the better way to say it is that becomes a much more important strategy.

Reactions: USD24
True. i guess the better way to say it is that becomes a much more important strategy.
Definitely. Everything is magnified more. An error doesn't just cost you an out. Now it costs you possibly 3 more pitches and maybe an extra days rest.

Reactions: USD24
In a playoff game, u get 2 studs locking horns u will no doubt see a ton of 3-1 takes. maybe even 2-0 takes with guys 7-9.

I'm not sure if the mandated pitch count was necessary. Not sure how many coaches were overly extending kids' pitch count. The rule was obviously put in place to save kids' arms. However, if it the pitch count rule also leads to more offense (by reducing the impact of top pitchers), I'm all for it. IMO, HS baseball has become awfully boring since the bat change a number of years back.

I think the bigger problem is these camps, kids not resting their arms then throwing as hard as they can for a radar gun when they should be resting arm in winter.

I think the bigger problem is these camps, kids not resting their arms then throwing as hard as they can for a radar gun when they should be resting arm in winter.

True, also summer travel ball. Did you see Mark Smith's comment in the Disabato column

he told his kids not to throw in the off season and "some didn't listen"

Think about how this will impact playoffs now in that Sectional-Super Sectional area. Teams don't play on same days like they did with 2 classes. So a team in Super Sectional will have an advantage with an extra day of rest for staff and bullpen. Not sure what the exact rules are beyond the 105 limit for guys that say throw 2 innings one day like a closer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT