ADVERTISEMENT

Phillips at Sterling

This is a great matchup. IMO, one of the best semi matchups, regardless of class. Was just looking at the stats of the Phillips/Lemont game. Phillips held Lemont to 5 1st downs and 63 yards of offense. Their defense is lights out. Lemont had success in limiting the Phillips' run game, though. Sterling will present a stern test, especially at home. This should be a great game. How is Sterling's passing game? Seems they will need to mix it up against that Phillips' defense.

This will be a low scoring game. Don't think either team will be able to run the ball. Phillips brought the house every play against Lemont and played man. Will Sterling be able to hold off the Phillips D to allow their Qb to get the ball off? Lemont D was very good stopping the run but Phillips was able to throw against them. I'll say 7-0 Phillips.

I found it funny Phillips gave Lemont the ball at the one yard line and they had to settle for a field goal.

This will be the 5A title game.

The 5a title game is on the 25th, as you all know. To call this semi final game the title game is discrediting to washington and dunlap. I am disappointed in the sterling fans who come across as arrogant on here. Respect everyone, fear no one. Thankfully the Sterling players and coaches don't overlook any opponent.

The 5a title game is on the 25th, as you all know. To call this semi final game the title game is discrediting to washington and dunlap. I am disappointed in the sterling fans who come across as arrogant on here. Respect everyone, fear no one. Thankfully the Sterling players and coaches don't overlook any opponent.
Bad karma and not normally experiencing this level of success. I have coached for over 20 years, one thing I preach is Act Like You’ve Been there Before.

Bad karma and not normally experiencing this level of success. I have coached for over 20 years, one thing I preach is Act Like You’ve Been there Before.

Agreed...even if you haven't been there before, as is the case with Sterling.

It will come to down to if Sterling can pass at all against Phillips. If that can't, they won't win. They can't run on them as Phillips will have 9 in the box. They have 2 cover guys who Sterling will have to beat. Lemont couldn't do it even though the announcers kept insisting they could be passed on. Lemont finished with 43 yards passing and 4 interceptions. Lemont is a better passing team than Sterling. That's about all that needs to be said.

Reactions: Alexander32
It will come to down to if Sterling can pass at all against Phillips. If that can't, they won't win. They can't run on them as Phillips will have 9 in the box. They have 2 cover guys who Sterling will have to beat. Lemont couldn't do it even though the announcers kept insisting they could be passed on. Lemont finished with 43 yards passing and 4 interceptions. Lemont is a better passing team than Sterling. That's about all that needs to be said.

I think Sterlings quarterback averaged 68% passing in the regular season and over 70% completion rate in the last game over MCC, what kind of numbers did Lemont QB have to say Lemont is better passing? Just curious if you knew those numbers, Sterlings run game is primary but if they need to pass they have been successful, I've always wished they would pass more because they have been so successful but had not needed to.

I would like to hear your take and what you know about the two teams to come up with this conclusion?

I have a feeling it's Phillips game to be had. Their defense is nothing anyone can simulate in 5A. Their offense is tough and even when the offense plays bad they win. I just think they will frustrate Sterlings offense Stop the running game and cause some turnovers.

I have a feeling it's Phillips game to be had. Their defense is nothing anyone can simulate in 5A. Their offense is tough and even when the offense plays bad they win. I just think they will frustrate Sterlings offense Stop the running game and cause some turnovers.

That's weird, you just described Sterling in a nutshell!

It is tough to beat a team that is bigger, stronger and faster than you. It can be done, Johnsburg did it last year, I was there. But you need help, penalties, turnovers, etc..

It is tough to beat a team that is bigger, stronger and faster than you. It can be done, Johnsburg did it last year, I was there. But you need help, penalties, turnovers, etc..

Sure you can control the clock, convert on 3rd down, dont turn it over, force a few turn overs and eliminate penalties. Philllips is very good and the favorite but people are way to quick to dismiss Sterling in this game. If they can score early and shorten the game I think the odds will begin to favor them.

Phillips did not impress me at all against Lemont. Never thought I would say this, I'm rooting for them this week
Holding a team to 5 first downs and 66 total yards is not impressive? Lemont's scoring drive was negative 1 yards!

From the film I've seen on this years Phillips team, the reason you can't simulate it is the speed that they posses! The defense itself is simple. This is what I believe you will see Phillips will run for a defense. When Sterling runs their QB with a single back in the backfield formation they will put a hat on hat with no cushion with everyone of the Sterling players. There will be a man in the gap where the back is lined up in the backfield with a safety, 15 to 20 yards back! The film I saw was the one against Chicago Simion. They litterly play man to man with everybody on the field and dare you to try to out run them. They are that athletic across the board! REAL SPEED, not the acclaimed type! In my opinion this is what happens when you have a handful of players with true D1 speed playing on a high school team. All the coaching staff has to do is keep them focused and disciplined, basically limit the penalties! I believe you will see more of this with CPL players transferring to a successful CPL team to get recognized and possibly win a state championship! Is Chicago Raby the next One?

Reactions: Cubbyfb54
From the film I've seen on this years Phillips team, the reason you can't simulate it is the speed that they posses! The defense itself is simple. This is what I believe you will see Phillips will run for a defense. When Sterling runs their QB with a single back in the backfield formation they will put a hat on hat with no cushion with everyone of the Sterling players. There will be a man in the gap where the back is lined up in the backfield with a safety, 15 to 20 yards back! The film I saw was the one against Chicago Simion. They litterly play man to man with everybody on the field and dare you to try to out run them. They are that athletic across the board! REAL SPEED, not the acclaimed type! In my opinion this is what happens when you have a handful of players with true D1 speed playing on a high school team. All the coaching staff has to do is keep them focused and disciplined, basically limit the penalties! I believe you will see more of this with CPL players transferring to a successful CPL team to get recognized and possibly win a state championship! Is Chicago Raby the next One?
Here is where I see the problem. I don't know if you remember the state championship against Rochester a few years ago but they did the exact same thing defensively and Rochester ate them up running hitches and slants. If Sterling can play their quick game the same way Rochester did then they will give Phillips trouble IF they choose to stay in man coverage. Against Althoff in the championship they did not go man and played some sort of cover 2 and were much better equipped than they were against Rochester. Against a good scheming offensive coordinator who has a lot of good route combos and a good qb who can get rid of it quick Phillips will have problems.

If any, Phillips will only have problems that are self-created. I doubt Sterling will score a point.

I don't think people realize just how good Sterlings defense is, I'm sure Phillips D is the same if not better but give credit where credit is due, I believe Sterling will shut them down, if they only scored 15 on Lemont I think Sterling will give up the same or less, so the question is can they move the ball on offense enough to score one or two times.

Reactions: nella77
Here is where I see the problem. I don't know if you remember the state championship against Rochester a few years ago but they did the exact same thing defensively and Rochester ate them up running hitches and slants. If Sterling can play their quick game the same way Rochester did then they will give Phillips trouble IF they choose to stay in man coverage. Against Althoff in the championship they did not go man and played some sort of cover 2 and were much better equipped than they were against Rochester. Against a good scheming offensive coordinator who has a lot of good route combos and a good qb who can get rid of it quick Phillips will have problems.
I was at the Phillips / Johnsburg game last year. In my opinion this years Phillips team is, over all, faster than the last 2 years. If they go cover 2, with that speed, they will be jumping any quick slant or out Sterling will throw at them. Sterling will have to get a running game going on them. They will have to run straight at them and hope to create some holes to pickup 3 to 4 at a crack. Tough to do, Lemont couldn't do it. If they can get the run going then they might be able to open up some play action with some tightend dump patterns.

If the game goes into OT tied 0-0 then Sterling will have an advantage assuming they kick extra points. Other than that, not so much. I'm sure Sterling is an excellent 5A team. taking nothing away from them.

Have any of you even seen any Sterling film? Sterling has a lot more weapons than just Nyrel Sullivan. I hope Phillips puts 9 in the box like someone else said earlier in this thread.

It's gonna be a good game either way.

I'm really hoping this is a good game! I am expecting an excellent atmosphere in Sterling this weekend. They play at a GREAT venue and you have to think that the whole town will be in attendance since it is a smaller town and the school has never been this far in the playoffs before. If I didn't live in the city, and still lived in McHenry County, I would strongly consider heading to Sterling to see the game because it is going to be such a great atmosphere. I picked Philips in my bracket and I'm going to stick with them because I think they are the better team, but part of me wonders if the 2.5 hour trip out west into a electric atmosphere will neutralize this team. I doubt they have played in an atmosphere like this yet this year and probably hasn't taken a trip this far yet either. The last time they probably took a long trip was a year ago when they came out to Johnsburg. Either way this weekend is going to be great, exactly what high school football is all about and I am excited to see the crowd that comes out this weekend, because the Sterling fans sure were faithful on the road last week. I have no team in this one, but it would be a great experience for all if this is a game that comes down to the wire!

Last edited:
Have any of you even seen any Sterling film? Sterling has a lot more weapons than just Nyrel Sullivan. I hope Phillips puts 9 in the box like someone else said earlier in this thread.

It's gonna be a good game either way.

Oh I guarantee you they will have 9 in the box.

I don't think people realize just how good Sterlings defense is, I'm sure Phillips D is the same if not better but give credit where credit is due, I believe Sterling will shut them down, if they only scored 15 on Lemont I think Sterling will give up the same or less, so the question is can they move the ball on offense enough to score one or two times.

I have no doubt Phillips will struggle to move the ball. They are very vanilla on offense. There philosophy is give it to Elmore and if he can get yards they will keep doing it. If it gets stopped like Lemont did they will start throwing short outs to their athletes and hope they break one. If that fails then they thrown a couple over the top which is where the 2 TD's came from. One of the three will eventually lead to a score. It may take most of the game for it to happen though.

dcaudle - you clearly have a firm grasp on the strengths and weaknesses on many teams in illinois. i have read your comments here and on other sites and they are often spot on. i'm curious if you have seen sterling in person or on video this year. and if you have, which game(s) did you see?

dcaudle - you clearly have a firm grasp on the strengths and weaknesses on many teams in illinois. i have read your comments here and on other sites and they are often spot on. i'm curious if you have seen sterling in person or on video this year. and if you have, which game(s) did you see?

I have only seen Sterling on video (GREAT, great production by the way, best I have seen all year by a wide margin). I have watched parts of 4 or 5 games. Dekalb, arguably your toughed game to date, you went to Sullivan 40 times which tells me what your planning on doing when the sledding gets tough. Running on Phillip simply will not work. Not being smart, just saying it like it is. They have too many athletes that cover too much ground for any running game to be effective at this level. Lemont had 18 carries for 21 yards. They will put 9 in the box and you will think you can pass over them. The problem is they have 2 D1 cover guys that are the fastest guys on the field on the edges and if you slant they will jump your route, 4 interceptions against Lemont. Solorio has a D1 QB going to Virginia Tech on a full ride. He was 4-10 for 78 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT Solorio only lost 3 times all year, twice to Phillips and once to Raby who is in the 4A semis. The way you can beat Phillips is to let them self destruct. They will commit penalties, they will false start and hold a lot. Lemont scored because the punter forgot to punt the ball when it was snapped to him at the one yard line and fell on it. Lemont still didn't get a touchdown. However they typically have enough talent to overcome those mistakes.

Lot of love for Phillips on this site. Except for one Sterling rooter who is kinda of obnoxious, I am rooting for Sterling's and like their chances in this game.
Home field and a productive offensive and decent defensive will tip the tide in Sterling's favor.

Just because Lemont could not run the ball doesn't mean Sterling can't, The O line has a lot to do with that, Sterling has a good O line, and a great back, Their run game was slowed down by MCC but they still moved the ball, if they can't run and they start bringing 9 they can pass too, both teams seem to have similar styles with Phillips having a bit more speed, I think both teams are gonna get shut down, The one worry I have and one weakness I've seen for Sterling is getting burnt on the long ball. This is going to be a great game, as a Sterling fan I give the edge to Phillips but with it being at Roscoe Eads stadium, and the magic it brings It's anyone's game!!

when it comes to running for Sterling against MCC, Sullivan had 58 yds and Morse had 125yds. At least half of those yds for Morse came on scrambles! So I don't know how good you would all think that is! Sterling also had1st and goal at least twice and was turned away. With a 3rd time they got a FG! I also know that Sulivan had at least 35yds on two of the runs! Just stating the facts to get a good read on the game on Saturday! Sterling is a class act! Hey none of you Sterling fans commented on are field! I hope you all enjoyed it!

Just because Lemont could not run the ball doesn't mean Sterling can't, The O line has a lot to do with that, Sterling has a good O line, and a great back, Their run game was slowed down by MCC but they still moved the ball, if they can't run and they start bringing 9 they can pass too, both teams seem to have similar styles with Phillips having a bit more speed, I think both teams are gonna get shut down, The one worry I have and one weakness I've seen for Sterling is getting burnt on the long ball. This is going to be a great game, as a Sterling fan I give the edge to Phillips but with it being at Roscoe Eads stadium, and the magic it brings It's anyone's game!!
Sterling will not be able to run the ball. Their only chance is with the pass. Phillips front 7 are unreal.

Look at these highlights. These are just a few highlights but it is exactly how the whole game went for Lemont.

https://thecube.com/highlight/impressive-pick-by-phillips-412766

https://thecube.com/highlight/phillips-answers-with-a-safety-412763

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT