ADVERTISEMENT

Phillips at Sterling

when it comes to running for Sterling against MCC, Sullivan had 58 yds and Morse had 125yds. At least half of those yds for Morse came on scrambles! So I don't know how good you would all think that is! Sterling also had1st and goal at least twice and was turned away. With a 3rd time they got a FG! I also know that Sulivan had at least 35yds on two of the runs! Just stating the facts to get a good read on the game on Saturday! Sterling is a class act! Hey none of you Sterling fans commented on are field! I hope you all enjoyed it!

Sterling runs the read option. Those scrambles aren't scrambles at all. They were able to take advantage of the defense keying on Sullivan.

You guys have a nice stadium. Too bad you can't come to Sterling. Our stadium looks like a small college. Great atmosphere!

when it comes to running for Sterling against MCC, Sullivan had 58 yds and Morse had 125yds. At least half of those yds for Morse came on scrambles! So I don't know how good you would all think that is! Sterling also had1st and goal at least twice and was turned away. With a 3rd time they got a FG! I also know that Sulivan had at least 35yds on two of the runs! Just stating the facts to get a good read on the game on Saturday! Sterling is a class act! Hey none of you Sterling fans commented on are field! I hope you all enjoyed it!

Sterling runs the read option. Those scrambles aren't scrambles at all. They were able to take advantage of the defense keying on Sullivan.

You guys have a nice stadium. Too bad you can't come to Sterling. Our stadium looks like a small college. Great atmosphere!

In Sterling’s first Td drive, 3rd quarter, he had at least 3 scrambles for over 10 yds each! Are coaches were making their feelings known to the refs about holding that wasn’t being called and those were all on scrambles! Sterling ran most of their read options later in the quarter and 4th. We were at your stadium in the second round in 2014!

without a doubt the 5a title game. I like Sterling. think there defense is just a hair better

Reactions: nella77
In Sterling’s first Td drive, 3rd quarter, he had at least 3 scrambles for over 10 yds each! Are coaches were making their feelings known to the refs about holding that wasn’t being called and those were all on scrambles! Sterling ran most of their read options later in the quarter and 4th. We were at your stadium in the second round in 2014!

The stadium was renovated this year. Looks a lot different since 2014

Reactions: lkhammer57
Holding a team to 5 first downs and 66 total yards is not impressive? Lemont's scoring drive was negative 1 yards!

I get that Phillips is fast and they have a great defense, watching them on film almost looks like they are on fast forward or the tape is sped up, but I keep hearing what they did against Lemont, This is a totally different team, totally different O line, totally different offense, who cares what they did against Lemont, This is Sterling, not Lemont. I think Sterling has more speed than Lemont and a better O line, I'm not saying their going to have 400 yards rushing, but can hopefully get enough penetration to pick up 3 or 4 yards at a time and Sullivan is quick enough and good at bouncing to the outside when needed to. I think Sterling can keep pace with them for the most part with the pace of the game, I think they are more fundamentally sound, I think the coaching staff will prepare well, and this will be one hell of a game!

Reactions: nella77
Nope! Only chance is if their bus breaks down. Saw both teams play. They are just to athletic. Just my opinion so don't go nuts Sterling warrior.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
Put it this way: Phillips beat Loyola, a team that went undefeated in the CCL Blue, a conference that still has THREE teams playing in the semis. Chicago (Raby) still in the playoffs, only loss was to Phillips. The only team in the state that can beat Phillips is Phillips, not LWE, not MS, not LZ, nobody, but themselves. So you have hope. Good luck, I hope Sterling wins, I'd love to eat my words.

Put it this way: Phillips beat Loyola, a team that went undefeated in the CCL Blue, a conference that still has THREE teams playing in the semis. Chicago (Raby) still in the playoffs, only loss was to Phillips. The only team in the state that can beat Phillips is Phillips, not LWE, not MS, not LZ, nobody, but themselves. So you have hope. Good luck, I hope Sterling wins, I'd love to eat my words.

Okay lets slow our roll a little bit here. I know that they beat Loyola that was down some players and still was EXTREMELY impressive that they beat them, because that same Loyola team was down even more against Bishop Amat from California the next week and won, but just because they won a week one game I am not ready to anoint them better than all of those 8a and 7a schools you just mentioned. While Phillips is VERY good and is the favorite in 5a I would love to see them play a full schedule of tough big schools week in and week out before we say that nobody in the state can beat Phillips. Heck Solorio almost did and they are far from being a state power, but that shows how when the talent and coaching are close anyone can lose on any given day

Last edited:

A week one Weinergate win equals no one in the state can beat Phillips? Sounds like the twitter feed that was posted and then flushed.

As some have mentioned - everyone entitled to their opinion (even the guys in foil hats waiting for aliens to attack the planet)

So quick question - in your mind is the Sterling/Phillips match up now for the Mythical overall #1 Title? Forget about all those “other” teams that would have no shot - LWE, MS, LA, LZ, Batavia, etc etc etc.?

Just curious - I like to try and identity/absorb the full spectrum from Cross Bones Sangbagging company where Bolingbrook wouldn’t beat a middle school team to the other extreme end of the spectrum. Where “my team cannot be beat by anyone!!”

Reactions: Gene K.
First off, Phillips is not "my team" I stated that I hoped Sterling wins. And your comment about Cross Bones was VERY funny!

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I get that Phillips is fast and they have a great defense, watching them on film almost looks like they are on fast forward or the tape is sped up, but I keep hearing what they did against Lemont, This is a totally different team, totally different O line, totally different offense, who cares what they did against Lemont, This is Sterling, not Lemont. I think Sterling has more speed than Lemont and a better O line, I'm not saying their going to have 400 yards rushing, but can hopefully get enough penetration to pick up 3 or 4 yards at a time and Sullivan is quick enough and good at bouncing to the outside when needed to. I think Sterling can keep pace with them for the most part with the pace of the game, I think they are more fundamentally sound, I think the coaching staff will prepare well, and this will be one hell of a game!

It sounds easy saying you just need to average 3 to 4 yards at a time. It just can't be done. You will get 2 or 3 then lose 2 and be looking at 3rd and 8 or 9 all day long.

The stadium was renovated this year. Looks a lot different since 2014
Now I really want to go to this game! Just can't get away for the 6 hours, game and driving time! Are they streaming it live? If so where?

Subscribe. I think it costs $10 bucks for a month.
Best $10 you will ever spend Oddy...crisp clear defenition and they show a replay of most of the good plays...only downfall...you will need to turn the volume off...these two announcers are two of the most arrogant overbearing annoying sounding Sterling homers ever...by a landslide...they rank right up there with the Gately anouncer in my book of scorn.

Best $10 you will ever spend Oddy...crisp clear defenition and they show a replay of most of the good plays...only downfall...you will need to turn the volume off...these two announcers are two of the most arrogant overbearing annoying sounding Sterling homers ever...by a landslide...they rank right up there with the Gately anouncer in my book of scorn.

I oddly love listening to homer announcers. I find it very entertaining. I'm serious, and it's their broadcast, they should cater to their home team.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
Should be a great game. I worry about Sterling defense. I have seen Lemont defense several times, might be one of the best in the state. Phillips still found ways for big plays and 15 points. I know Sterling is very good, but I can't imagine their defense is at the same level as Lemont.

It sounds easy saying you just need to average 3 to 4 yards at a time. It just can't be done. You will get 2 or 3 then lose 2 and be looking at 3rd and 8 or 9 all day long.

d - you better go back and watch the game vs Richards. flowers was able to bust off multiple runs of more than 8yd a pop. problem with lining up that many in the box, is when a big back bust thru, it is wide open. and the dogs line is small compared to phillips, probably 160lb or more lighter.

if you turn the ball over to sterling you are going to give up points no doubt. the cats defense is not built to stay on the field for long periods of time.

any team willing to keep them on the field will beat them. but, it takes patience a methodical pounding.
defensively teams have to limit the big plays early in the game. if you can settle them into a grind it will limit that explosive big play and they will put themselves into a defensive minded game plan.
lemont was able to do that, except they were not able to score, they just did not have the scoring ability of teams in the past. what they are always great at is capitalizing on your mistakes. they did not do that in their game.

should be a great game and will probably be the best $10 to spend to watch this.

Should be a great game. I worry about Sterling defense. I have seen Lemont defense several times, might be one of the best in the state. Phillips still found ways for big plays and 15 points. I know Sterling is very good, but I can't imagine their defense is at the same level as Lemont.

Again comparing to Lemont, Sterlings defense was ranked 2nd in the state out of 560 schools for least amount of points scored, and 90 % of those points were scored in second half with starters out , starting defense in last 3 playoff games against St Viator, Kaneland and Marion catholic have given up only 16 points in 3 games, actually only given up 10 points but we won't go there. I've seen Lemont play, great team, but I say Sterling has better and faster D than Lemont. If Lemont can hold Phillips to 15 I think Sterling will do the same or better, like I said before only thing that scares me is getting burnt on the man on man long ball.

I agree with DCH88 that the only chance Sterling has to win this game is if Phillips flat out decides to NOT make the trip out west. No offense to Sterling, but I too have seen both teams "live" and Phillips DEF is insanely athletic and physical. We shall see what excuses Sterling Warrior gives after this game as to why Sterling should have scored more points/given up less. Congratulations to Sterling thou on making it to the semi-final round, well deserving.

I agree with DCH88 that the only chance Sterling has to win this game is if Phillips flat out decides to NOT make the trip out west. No offense to Sterling, but I too have seen both teams "live" and Phillips DEF is insanely athletic and physical. We shall see what excuses Sterling Warrior gives after this game as to why Sterling should have scored more points/given up less. Congratulations to Sterling thou on making it to the semi-final round, well deserving.

Why can't you let it go? Why do you always have to start crap? Keep poking and poking, I think it was you that said the same thing about how Sterling won't beat Viator and then MCC wasint it? I've held back to this point out of respect but seeing your not respecting me and have to rip on everything I say, yeah, it was an obvious fumble before he was in the end zone, Sterling recovered and the refs sat there scratching their heads and 20 seconds later called a TD so if it was called properly Sterling would have only allowed MCC 3 points not 10! Is that what you have been wanting to hear? It's 100% true and you know it if you watched the replay. I haven't brought it up but you sure want me to, so there ya go. And by the way, the field did make a difference.

If Phillips wins,....someone is going to pull a “2016 HHS” either late Saturday or early Sunday. Got to be sure I catch the threads before anything/anyone gets flushed

Reactions: ramblinman
@Sterling Warrior honestly I would say save your breath (in this case give you fingers a break) because he is like this all the time to all different people on the board, and the conversation/debate doesn't go anywhere

ADVERTISEMENT