ADVERTISEMENT

Phillips at Sterling

I hate dudes like you making assanine comments like this. If your implying Sterling didn't play anyone and that's why they made it this far, they played everyone that was put in front of them and if they played cupcakes it would have been 42-0 at halftime, Phillips is a college level team, losing by two TDs was competitive, very proud of my Golden Warriors, next week against Dunlap when it's 42-0 at half you can say that though.

Reactions: Gene K.
Phillips was dominant. Sterling couldn’t do anything offensively but had a couple of gimmicky plays to score. Phillips offense move the ball better than expected.

Not really. They scored twice off turnovers deep in sterling territory. Offense is nothing special. Defense is.

The cupcake feeding is over for the Golden Warriors.Great year though.Not a bad team

Clown post. Sterling plays in a very good league for their size, Phillips just has talent this year that is way above what you ever see at 5A and that is no fault of Sterling or the NIB12.

Congrats to Sterling on a great year. Turnovers will kill a team this deep into a season. Phillips DEF is nasty too.

Phillips was dominant. Sterling couldn’t do anything offensively but had a couple of gimmicky plays to score. Phillips offense move the ball better than expected.

Have you watched football before? What was gimmicky about the way Sterling got its scores or its yards?

The Sterling fumble near their own end zone was the dagger, their defense is pretty impressive I will say, I told my daughter I will give her $50.00 for every touchdown Dunlap scores next week. I don't plan on paying out anything, lol

Really? A fb seam that was thrown up for grabs? A fake punt? Cmon man!

Sterling didn't score on the fake punt? Just picked up first down, your right though, Sterling was pretty well shut down other than a few yards here and there, one long touchdown pass, one other long pass, and one long run, other than that they were shut down, so what's your point? It was a 14 point game in the end.

H-back seam is a Gimmick? Didn't score on the fake punt.
the seam was basically thrown up for grabs hoping for him to get there. It was a prayer. I know they didn't score on the fake punt but that was one of the very few big gainers Sterling had. All I'm saying is without a couple of lucky plays Sterling would not have scored at all. Lemont was the much better team.

Reactions: Catch--22
the seam was basically thrown up for grabs hoping for him to get there. It was a prayer. I know they didn't score on the fake punt but that was one of the very few big gainers Sterling had. All I'm saying is without a couple of lucky plays Sterling would not have scored at all. Lemont was the much better team.

Hahaha. Now I really know you are clueless.

Reactions: Golden Warrior

Unbelievable that your knocking and comparing Sterling to Lemont for second best, lucky plays? if Lemont was so much better why did they only score 3 points? not even one touchdown, let alone two, not one lucky play aye? Phillips D is truly unreal, they shut both Sterling and Lemont down, I haven't seen the numbers yet but I bet Sterling had more total offensive yards than Lemont which weren't a lot, and I don't care where the yards came from or how they got them. 14 of Phillips 27 points came from turnovers deep in Sterling Territory was that lucky? Clearly though, the better team won, Phillips defense is at another level. Please stop now, Lemont lost too and in the same fashion.

Reactions: Gene K.
Great production today Sterling, enjoyed the broadcast very much!!
Sterling don’t listen to some of these idiots. Plain and simple Phillips had more talent, but this was an outstanding Sterling team, great speed and discipline and just didn’t have big plays in them to beat the south side Chicago public league all star team. Great production on NFHS and most times the better team wins, would be shocked if next week is close.

Also thanks for the Sterling fans the past few weeks. Loved having you here and bringing some much needed out of the area flavor and insights. Will definitely be back sooner rather than later (heck I might hit Rips in Ladd in a few weeks or so).

Shout out to phillips. Obviously a very talented team that took advantage of every mistake sterling made. Also very classy by their coach to take a knee when they couldn’t even run out the clock. Phillips players were very respectful and played the game the right way.

It was a lot of fun watching the Golden Warriors throughout the year and am a proud alum. They couldn’t get it done today and lost to a better team, but I would put money on Phillips having just as many sore kids as Sterling tomorrow morning. Both teams had players take some pretty good licks. Best of luck to all those playing next weekend.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
Why is everyone so high on Philips? Solid D, one-dimensional O, atrocious kicking game.

Not to mention 5A IS the weakest class this year.
Let' see, State Championship game 3 out of the last 4 years. Hmmm...

And please stop with the 5A is weak nonsense. Sterling, Lemont, Phillips and I'm sure a few others would do just fine vs opponents from one of the other "strong" classes.

Reactions: nella77
Let' see, State Championship game 3 out of the last 4 years. Hmmm...

And please stop with the 5A is weak nonsense. Sterling, Lemont, Phillips and I'm sure a few others would do just fine vs opponents from one of the other "strong" classes.
5A is weak.

Phillips was the better team yesterday and played with class. If Sterling played them 10 times I don't think they would will one. That being said, none of them would be blow outs. Sterling played a solid football game. Phillips only had one significant offensive drive. Elmore is a tough runner but not POY caliber. Gibbs ability to extend some plays was key for Phillips. Taylor on defense was the difference in the game. That dude is a stud. Plain and simple you can't turn the ball over in inside your own 30 twice against anyone in the semifinals and expect to win. Sterling also had a couple key penalties that hurt them when they had manageable down and distance situations.
I just have a hard time giving Phillips a ton of props when CPS schools play by a different set of rules. CPS has the ability to rule on eligibility for transfers inside the city. Imagine if every conference in the state has that luxury. Just look at the super 25 basketball preview. Every school in the top 5 was CPS and everyone had at least 2 transfers.
I have no problem with transfers, just think it would be fair if everyone played by the same set of rules since everyone gets to play for the same trophy.

Couple things; I dont sandbag and I just watched this game, it was pretty good.

Awesome facility! I just have to ask, how does a small community like Sterling, financially able to turf their field and a few years later upgrade the seating structure to this standard? It sure is awesome! You put in the mega scoreboard and it will blow Barrington's awesome stadium away!

Just an FYI, we're getting our video screen scoreboard installed this week.

Reactions: lkhammer57
Just an FYI, we're getting our video screen scoreboard installed this week.

Question: beautiful stadium. I know Sterling Newman either has played or does play in the Sterling High stadium. It makes sense for a community that size to only have one major stadium. What is/was the financial relationship between the schools as to the stadium? Is Newman paying rent to use the stadium? Did it do some sort of in kind donation in lieu of rent?

I also see on the video that the stadium is named? What were the naming rights? I know that Manteno, for example, entered into a naming rights agreement for the stadium in 2002 ($100,000) which is due to be renewed in a couple of years...

Lisle, with the school district, park district and Benedictine partnering in the complex, makes sense. Joliet, with JCA at Memorial Stadium, straight rent to the park district makes sense (although I wonder why East, West & Central invested in stadiums instead of using Memorial Stadium as well...).

Question: beautiful stadium. I know Sterling Newman either has played or does play in the Sterling High stadium. It makes sense for a community that size to only have one major stadium. What is/was the financial relationship between the schools as to the stadium? Is Newman paying rent to use the stadium? Did it do some sort of in kind donation in lieu of rent?

I also see on the video that the stadium is named? What were the naming rights? I know that Manteno, for example, entered into a naming rights agreement for the stadium in 2002 ($100,000) which is due to be renewed in a couple of years...

Lisle, with the school district, park district and Benedictine partnering in the complex, makes sense. Joliet, with JCA at Memorial Stadium, straight rent to the park district makes sense (although I wonder why East, West & Central invested in stadiums instead of using Memorial Stadium as well...).

Newman pays $5000 a season to play on our field. The SHS board is negotiating with Newman because the contract is up this year. Sterling wants $2000 a game because of all the upgrades, Newman wants to pay $1000.

On the naming rights, the official name is Sterling Chevrolet Field at Roscoe Eades Stadium. I'm not sure on the exact numbers or amount of years though.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
All.... Before SHG built their stadium a few years ago they played at the city owned field Memorial Stadium. Actually it was a great deal. If I recall correctly all that was required was emergency ambulance service, having an electrician present, ticket takers at the gates and a very small nominal fee. Not sure how they split the gate receipts. It wasn't an issue for me but because of three city schools that used the field (at that time) if they had a scheduled home game on Friday the Cyclones would play on Saturday. Ratsy

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
I find it interesting that Sterling High School is now the 25th winningest Illinois high school football program (as per Edgy’s list he just put out). But looking down the list, Sterling Newman Central Catholic H.S. is the 35th winningest high school football program. Isn’t Sterling about 15,000 in terms of population? How can a town this size put out 2 football programs with this much success? I understand that Newman can pull kids from all over the area, but my understanding is that generally about half of Newman’s players throughout the years come from Sterling. How good would’ve Sterling H.S. been through the years without Newman around? Most towns, especially this size, could only hope of having one school with such lofty records, let alone 2...

Reactions: Q5clan
I find it interesting that Sterling High School is now the 25th winningest Illinois high school football program (as per Edgy’s list he just put out). But looking down the list, Sterling Newman Central Catholic H.S. is the 35th winningest high school football program. Isn’t Sterling about 15,000 in terms of population? How can a town this size put out 2 football programs with this much success? I understand that Newman can pull kids from all over the area, but my understanding is that generally about half of Newman’s players throughout the years come from Sterling. How good would’ve Sterling H.S. been through the years without Newman around? Most towns, especially this size, could only hope of having one school with such lofty records, let alone 2...

my understanding is that newman's overall enrollment is typically around 33% students who live in the sterling school district. the vast majority of male athletes who live in sterling "stay in their lane" so to speak when it comes to choosing a high school (meaning that catholic grade school kids go to newman and public school grade school kids go to sterling). that said, there have been many newman kids over the years that would have been big contributors to sterling hs football teams had they chosen to go to shs. it's hard to quantify what that would mean in terms of wins and losses though.

ADVERTISEMENT