ADVERTISEMENT

O’Fallon Hosed by Officials

O’Fallon had time and Michael operated at break-neck speed as the Panthers moved the ball down the field. They got a break when Edwardsville was flagged for defensive pass interference in the end zone which gave the Panthers a first-and-10 at the 17 with 42 seconds remaining.
Then things got confusing.
On first down Cadlwell rushed for a 3-yard gain and after the play Edwardsville and O’Fallon where flagged for dead ball unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.
On second down Michael fired a quick pass to senior Camryn Sheehan for a 1-yard gain. On third down Michael fired a screen pass to Caldwell for no gain.
The officials then indicated it was Edwardsville’s football on a turnover on downs with a half minute to play.

I’m not saying they didn’t lose a down or this isn’t correct. The score board shows 2/10 then goes to 2/6. Which makes me think there was a play before that first one shown and they changed the yardage on the board then down. The box on the field clearly shows 4 on that last play. Both teams react as if it’s 4th and there doesn’t appear to be much objection, in this video at least, by the offended team. The officials can correct this even after the play is over and some dead ball time if they deem they did lose a down. If they did, shame on them, that’s mortal sin in the stripes world. I’ve definitely had some panic moments because of a slow scoreboard operator or an announcer who can’t count

The scoreboard said 3rd down but the chain crew and officials had 4th. Both sides reacted like the game was over on the final play. King of strange there was no argument from the Ofallon sideline following the play if it was indeed 3rd down. This crew of official had its fair share of questionable calls last night impacting both sides.

I was watching this last night on NFHS and was confused as well, but figured I missed a down or something. The game is up on NFHS "On Demand" for those who want to check it out. I just rewatched the end sequence

3:18:40 - 1st and 10 - O'Fallon runs rushes for 4 yards. Offsetting Personal Foul penalties at the end of the play
3:20:00 - After offsetting penalties called, Official looks and signals to down marker to change from 2nd to 3rd
3:20:15 - 2nd and 6 (Down Marker shows 3rd down) O'Fallon quick pass out left for a yard or 2
3:21:10 - Timeout - O'Fallon
3:21:52 - 3rd and 4 (Down Marker shows 4th down) O'Fallon stopped short and ball given back to Edwardsville

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
I rewatched the video and I only saw three downs too. As mentioned before, it was strange though how both teams seemed to react as though it really was 4th down and the game was basically over. How do the officials AND both teams get it wrong? Was that pass interference call not an automatic first down and that's the issue? If so, why did they move the sticks? SMH Very confusing. Definitely not how you want to win and certainly not how a team would want to lose.

Reactions: McEvergreen
I rewatched the video and I only saw three downs too. As mentioned before, it was strange though how both teams seemed to react as though it really was 4th down and the game was basically over. How do the officials AND both teams get it wrong? Was that pass interference call not an automatic first down and that's the issue? If so, why did they move the sticks? SMH Very confusing. Definitely not how you want to win and certainly not how a team would want to lose.
Watching the stream, it didnt seem like eville reacted with the amount of excitement i expected if they knew theyhad just won thegame. It looked like a sort of delayed reaction once the off started on to the field.

DPI is not an auto first down. I don’t question the play sequence shown and that @tincup1215 listed. Id say you have to know the plays that proceeded the “1st down play”. If there was a DPI it doesn’t mean there was an auto first. So if before it was 2/25, there’s a DPI, now it’s 2/10. Can really confuse the tv graphics and scoreboard because now the box is at the 1st stake, with line to gain being 10yds away. Looks and feels like 1st and 10, but if the previous play was 2nd down, then after DPI enforcement it’s still 2nd.

Often times when a down gets lost it’s because there is a foul and the box changes when it’s not supposed to yet. Then you look over, see 2 on the box, that down counted, so now change the box(that’s when it should change, not before) and it’s 3rd down. By no means an excuse, 5 guys can’t lose a down it’s unacceptable, but when it does happen that’s usually how it goes down.

Reactions: playboymixx
Watching the stream, it didnt seem like eville reacted with the amount of excitement i expected if they knew theyhad just won thegame. It looked like a sort of delayed reaction once the off started on to the field.
Didn't look that way to me. It looked to me as though Edwardsville players immediately started jumping up and down and celebrating, while O'Fallon players immediately started walking off of the field looking dejected. Granted, for Edwardsville, it could have been just been celebration for believing that they had stuffed a 3rd down play. Don't really know for sure.

Maxx Force. They go from 0 to 2.5 secs in a blink of an eye. If you have not seen them play it is actually amazing how fast they move for high school kids. Over the years Warren has been blessed with speed and Mac strongly encourages strength & explosion training. You can see it on the field. I hope that answers your roller coaster question. 🎢 (Maxx Force)

. Id say you have to know the plays that proceeded the “1st down play”.
DPI in the endzone, First down at the 17.

Didn't look that way to me. It looked to me as though Edwardsville players immediately started jumping up and down and celebrating, while O'Fallon players immediately started walking off of the field looking dejected. Granted, for Edwardsville, it could have been just been celebration for believing that they had stuffed a 3rd down play. Don't really know for sure.
Eville was clearly excited but was reserved to not receive a penalty for excessive celebration. At least that’s how I saw it.

DPI is not an auto first down. I don’t question the play sequence shown and that @tincup1215 listed. Id say you have to know the plays that proceeded the “1st down play”. If there was a DPI it doesn’t mean there was an auto first. So if before it was 2/25, there’s a DPI, now it’s 2/10. Can really confuse the tv graphics and scoreboard because now the box is at the 1st stake, with line to gain being 10yds away. Looks and feels like 1st and 10, but if the previous play was 2nd down, then after DPI enforcement it’s still 2nd.

Often times when a down gets lost it’s because there is a foul and the box changes when it’s not supposed to yet. Then you look over, see 2 on the box, that down counted, so now change the box(that’s when it should change, not before) and it’s 3rd down. By no means an excuse, 5 guys can’t lose a down it’s unacceptable, but when it does happen that’s usually how it goes down.
It was 2nd and 10 at the 32 when the pass interference call was made.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
This is funny!

A junior receiver for the Edwardsville football team, DeMare kept waiting for Jake Curry’s half-field heave to fall. Finally — thankfully — it settled into his waiting hands and DeMare was off to the end zone.

Or so everyone thought until he inexplicably stopped short and went down at the 2-yard-line late in the fourth quarter with his team’s season hanging in the balance.

On the next play Edwardsville senior running back De’Shawn Larson punched in the short touchdown with 1 minute and 43 seconds to play to lift the Tigers to a heart-stopping 43-36 win over rival O’Fallon in a Class 8A first-round game at O’Fallon High.

“I thought it’d be the smart decision to sit down at the 1 and chew some clock,” DeMare said with a grin. “My coaches told me it wasn’t very smart, but I guess it paid off in the end.”

Reactions: LHSTigers94
I just watched the last possession and im 99% sure the officials messed that up and shorted oths a down. After the 2nd down play, the oths coaches were having a discussion with the officials, presumably why they had the down incorrect. After that, it looks like he told his team this is 4th down, regardless of what the correct down should have been. You can hear the fans immediately start yelling "that was only 3rd down" after oths last play

Last edited:
I just watched the past possession and im 99% sure the officials messed that up and shorted oths a down. After the 2nd down play, the oths coaches were having a discussion with the officials, presumably why they had the down incorrect. After that, it looks like he told his team this is 4th down, regardless of what the correct down should have been. You can hear the fans immediately start yelling "that was only 3rd down" after oths last play
From the Edwardsville paper: “We called that play thinking it was third down,” Gettis said. “We will look at the film and go from there.” So O'Fallon did, in fact, believe that there was an issue with the number of downs.

From the Edwardsville paper: “We called that play thinking it was third down,” Gettis said. “We will look at the film and go from there.” So O'Fallon did, in fact, believe that there was an issue with the number of downs.
Even the PA guy announced it being 3rd down before the play.

I just wanted to add previous plays to this for clarification on the DPI. Unless a whole play was somehow missed on NFHS, it was only 3 plays.

3:13.38 O’Fallon picks up a first down and goes to the Edwardsville 43. Injury timeout after play
3:15.53 O’Fallon passes for 5 yards, 2nd and 5 upcoming
3:16:24 O’Fallon picks up first down off a screen pass, 1st and 10 and Edwardsville 32 upcoming
3:17:00 O’Fallon incompletion, 2nd and 10 upcoming
3:17:29 DPI on Edwardsville on pass into the endzone. Chains move after the play to set up a 1st and 10 from the Edwardsville 17

3:18:40 - 1st and 10 - O'Fallon runs rushes for 4 yards. Offsetting Personal Foul penalties at the end of the play
3:20:00 - After offsetting penalties called, Official looks and signals to down marker to change from 2nd to 3rd
3:20:15 - 2nd and 6 (Down Marker shows 3rd down) O'Fallon quick pass out left for a yard or 2
3:21:10 - Timeout - O'Fallon
3:21:52 - 3rd and 4 (Down Marker shows 4th down) O'Fallon stopped short and ball given back to Edwardsville

Am I missing something here?

That's why, watching it live last night, I thought that it was 3rd down as well. The stream was awful and so I thought that I missed something, but I think that it was actually the refs that missed something. lol
The on demand quality is significantly better.

Even the PA guy announced it being 3rd down before the play.
I certainly wouldn’t use the PA guy as a reliable source. The guy was off all game in my last game. It was killing me.
But unfortunately looks like the crew messed it up. That can’t happen. In a situation like that, if there’s doubt they should certainly confer and piece it back together. If the coaches brought it up then I’d definitely come together because I can guarantee someone was like wait a second I had 2nd too. It’s not an atypical enforcement. I imagine the box flipped before they completed enforcement then they looked over and said that down counted, flip the box to 3. Bad on them.

I certainly wouldn’t use the PA guy as a reliable source. The guy was off all game in my last game. It was killing me.
But unfortunately looks like the crew messed it up. That can’t happen. In a situation like that, if there’s doubt they should certainly confer and piece it back together. If the coaches brought it up then I’d definitely come together because I can guarantee someone was like wait a second I had 2nd too. It’s not an atypical enforcement. I imagine the box flipped before they completed enforcement then they looked over and said that down counted, flip the box to 3. Bad on them.
Agreed. As an official we are taught really to not pay attention to the announcer or scoreboard. This is more so on the head linesman. With each play it’s his job to make sure the box matches what he and the crew had. Really disturbing but what makes it more disturbing is this is a playoff crew. They earned the right to get this game. Really unfathomable

Reactions: flyerforlife
Agreed. As an official we are taught really to not pay attention to the announcer or scoreboard. This is more so on the head linesman. With each play it’s his job to make sure the box matches what he and the crew had. Really disturbing but what makes it more disturbing is this is a playoff crew. They earned the right to get this game. Really unfathomable
Not saying the crew needs to pay attention to the PA or scoreboard. Just pointing out that the only people in the stadium who seemed to not know the down was the refs. Really hard to imagine how that happens.

Reactions: flyerforlife
Not saying the crew needs to pay attention to the PA or scoreboard. Just pointing out that the only people in the stadium who seemed to not know the down was the refs. Really hard to imagine how that happens.
From reading through all the comments, I'm assuming the Linesman didn't hear it was offsetting penalties, thought one was a loss of down, and ordered the down marker changed - and the head ref didn't realize the mistake, and had moved on in his head. So when the ref saw "4" on the down marker, he trusted his eyes.

From reading through all the comments, I'm assuming the Linesman didn't hear it was offsetting penalties, thought one was a loss of down, and ordered the down marker changed - and the head ref didn't realize the mistake, and had moved on in his head. So when the ref saw "4" on the down marker, he trusted his eyes.
As a ref you should know the rules, and personal fouls are never loss of down penalties. And the off cant lose a down on a play where there was a def penalty.

More times than not the marker changes without request(150+ Times a game). They’re instructed to not change if a flag is down, most times they don’t see a flag or remember and change anyways. We aren’t really watching them change it and don’t rely on it by any means. The problem is if they change it after the play ends, and there is a foul. Sometimes you get caught up in the enforcement, giving coaches options, even discussing the foul, then you turn to see the box showing what you expect to be the previous down and go from there. I’m just going off to experience and assuming what happened was they had 1st down play, it ended, dead ball flags flew. The box changed from 1st to 2nd unbeknownst to the crew. They came together, ok dead ball offsetting, down still counts. Turn to the box, ok that was 2nd, so now we’re going to 3rd because those were dead ball fouls. We certainly don’t listen to the announcer but can hear them. If I hear them say the wrong down that might be smoke to me. If the coach is asking about the down that’s black smoke and I’m replaying in my head and we will come together. It happens, playoff crew or not. It happens every week and anyone who has ever reffed has lost a down. It’s the .1% of the time where your partners miss it too and the game doesn’t correct itself(the team gets a first) that it really,really sucks bad.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
I didn’t see the game but if the Refs lost the down then wasn’t the Ofallon coach should of been arguing the call big time. Was he? If not he must of lost count of the down also?

I didn’t see the game but if the Refs lost the down then wasn’t the Ofallon coach should of been arguing the call big time. Was he? If not he must of lost count of the down also?
Gettis knew the down. Someone quoted him from the eville paper where he says he called the final offensive play thinking it was 3rd down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT