ADVERTISEMENT

The NIPL

cornerrat

Aug 1, 2009
All..... Ramblinman..... I still have this on my mind. A couple of questions. Some believe if it came to total separation the IHSA would force the privates hand and not let them leave for just football. Is that how the NIPL would work? Or all sports under this new league? If that is the the case the proximity of all of those schools I assume would be close enough? But the headaches in finding officials would be considerable. I could see the Ihsa making it difficult for current officials to work the various games with the new league.

That would also make it impossible for a team like SHG to participate. Just curious on how this would all work? Thanks. Ratsy

All..... Ramblinman..... I still have this on my mind. A couple of questions. Some believe if it came to total separation the IHSA would force the privates hand and not let them leave for just football. Is that how the NIPL would work?

Ratsy, you know this as well as I do: The typical private school animal is a whiner when it comes to private schools. It's ingrained. They just can't help themselves. You can't change the spots on a leopard. Therefore, if the private schools were allowed to leave for football only and remain in the IHSA in other sports, the whining would continue and/or be shifted to other sports. To no small degree, it's happening in those sports already and has been for quite some time. Ultimately, push would come to shove, and the can would stop being kicked down the road in all sports.

My preference is that the NIPL is for all private schools (and possibly non-boundaried public schools who want to play with the NIPL) in all sports in northeastern Illinois. The hypothetical divisional alignment and classes I gave you in a different thread would be for football only.

Or all sports under this new league? If that is the the case the proximity of all of those schools I assume would be close enough?

All sports. Your question is if there are enough private schools, football playing and otherwise, to make it work state-wide, correct? I think it would still be a tough row to hoe. You can't change geography. How would private schools in places like Waukegan, Freeport, Rock Island, Quincy, Breese, Belleville, Effingham, Alton, and, yes, Springfield, all get into appropriately competitive divisions in all sports with other NIPL schools?

But the headaches in finding officials would be considerable.

Itt's not like the NIPL would result in increasing the overall number of athletic contests requiring officials. Therefore, I don't think those headaches would be any more problematic than they are now. Hell, maybe if the NIPL schools paid officials more per game than the IHSA member schools, the headaches would be more on the IHSA side.

I could see the Ihsa making it difficult for current officials to work the various games with the new league.

They might try, but I think that would be a lawsuit in the making. Officials are independent contractors and not employees. Courts are generally not eager to restrict people from earning a living using their special skills. It's not like officials will be potentially sharing IHSA intellectual property with NIPL schools.

Reactions: RockSoup
@RockSoup ruined my weekend bringing up the MIPL in another thread. I think I’m going to need therapy, I don’t care what Livia Soprano thinks about it.
Inspired by our leader ramblin tho. But if I must be ambassador of the MIPL, I will gladly accept. But you’re on the board. Since I ruined your weekend already, find me a dozen Midwest canditates, Joliet to Louisville is the radius. Thank you.

But the programs that could handle the MIPL should really shake the bushes on it, see if there is a there actually there. See if there is a successful sponsor in the Catholic Midwest that believes in freedom and celebrating excellence that would sponsor a GOTW. Content is being begged for.

I know me and you ain’t the only crazy ones out there. Get a dozen to 16. Run a conference champ and postseason champ. Not enough teams for a postseason tournament? No way. If the SEC and/or B1G had an 8-16 team season ending tournament, it would be competitive as heck and watched.

A Midwest Champion. Football numbers and thus number of tuition-paying students would stay the same but most likely improve due to young families that love elite competition instead of being forced to placate whiners.

Our cup of opportunities overfloweth for those that can see.

Reactions: eireog
Inspired by our leader ramblin tho. But if I must be ambassador of the MIPL, I will gladly accept. But you’re on the board. Since I ruined your weekend already, find me a dozen Midwest canditates, Joliet to Louisville is the radius. Thank you.

But the programs that could handle the MIPL should really shake the bushes on it, see if there is a there actually there. See if there is a successful sponsor in the Catholic Midwest that believes in freedom and celebrating excellence that would sponsor a GOTW. Content is being begged for.

I know me and you ain’t the only crazy ones out there. Get a dozen to 16. Run a conference champ and postseason champ. Not enough teams for a postseason tournament? No way. If the SEC and/or B1G had an 8-16 team season ending tournament, it would be competitive as heck and watched.

A Midwest Champion. Football numbers and thus number of tuition-paying students would stay the same but most likely improve due to young families that love elite competition instead of being forced to placate whiners.

Our cup of opportunities overfloweth for those that can see.
As I said in another post when someone suggested ESL pursuing a national schedule, I see this as a real possibility for a number of local powers.

I could see the Ihsa making it difficult for current officials to work the various games with the new league.
They might try, but I think that would be a lawsuit in the making. Officials are independent contractors and not employees. Courts are generally not eager to restrict people from earning a living using their special skills. It's not like officials will be potentially sharing IHSA intellectual property with NIPL schools.

Reactions:RockSoup

When I was in High School, most of my CCL games were on Sunday afternoon and the officials were mostly Big Ten Guys. Watch Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, ND or Wisconsin play on Saturday afternoon and the crew working our game might be a combination of guys working Saturday afternoon game in the Big Ten.

As I said in another post when someone suggested ESL pursuing a national schedule, I see this as a real possibility for a number of local powers.
I would love to see MC, LA MS, LWE, Warren, Batavia etc play some National teams like Bosco, Mater Dei, IMG, Duncanville etc. it would be fun to watch and gauge where IL really ranks. ESL has stepped out and challenged themselves by playing some of these teams and as a program in my opinion adding these games to their schedule has made The Flyers even stronger.

Inspired by our leader ramblin tho.
Don't want just mere inspiration. I will take a licensing fee, though.
But if I must be ambassador of the MIPL, I will gladly accept. But you’re on the board. Since I ruined your weekend already, find me a dozen Midwest canditates, Joliet to Louisville is the radius. Thank you.

Several years ago, I offered here what a MW Jesuit league might look like, and that was done when Iggy was a cellar dweller so I left them out. Now that Iggy has put on their big boy pants, here is what such a league might look like:
LA
 Iggy
Milwaukee Marquette U High
St Louis U High
St Louis DeSmet
Indy Brebeuf
Cincy St Xavier
Cleveland Iggy
Akron(ish) Walsh
Toledo St John

I was tempted to include Rockhurst, but they are a single outlier too far west. The above gives you a 9 game regular season...and lots of travel (8.5 hour drive between Cleveland Iggy and St Louis DeSmet).

If you are looking for more high profile Catholic MIPL, you could keep several of those Jesuit schools like LA, St Xavier (OH), DeSmet, Iggy (OH), and Walsh, and sprinkle in a few others like MC, St Edward, Moeller, Archbishop Hoban, Bishop Chatard, CBC, Cathedral, Trinity, and St Xavier in Louisville.

That's a 15 team league that could be broken down into East and West divisions of the Ohio and Kentucky schools in the East and the others in the West. That makes 8 in the East and 7 in the West.

Add another St Louis area Catholic school like Ritter or Chicago area Catholic school (pick one) to the West, and there are your two divisions of 8 schools each.

Again, travel would be a bitch even with the regional divisions.

Most schools would have to get used to much tougher schedules and winning fewer games than they are accustomed to winning.

ALL teams make the playoffs with the division champs facing off in a title game in Lucas Oil Field in Indy.

Last edited:
  • Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT