ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Illinois Big 12

Really surprised on Kaneland Sycamore score, I thought Kanelands defense was slow against Sterling, I I guess Sterling is that good.

I will give you that Sterling is good warrior ... We did not play our our game and like I said the boys really want another shot, but not sure if it's going to happen due to us maybe being 6A now.. but if you want to get far in the 5A playoffs, you'll have to beat Sterling sooner or later.

Really surprised on Kaneland Sycamore score, I thought Kanelands defense was slow against Sterling, I I guess Sterling is that good.

I know to finish the year Sterling will only be focused on the opponent and not how good they are. They will get the best shots from LP and Rochelle as they'll need wins to keep playoff hopes alive. Then they get to week 9 playing at Sycamore, a place they've had some tough losses recently. 1 week at a time. Sterling also capitalized on every opportunity Kaneland gave them. While Sterling was in control the entire game, Kaneland did give them a nice challenge.

I know to finish the year Sterling will only be focused on the opponent and not how good they are. They will get the best shots from LP and Rochelle as they'll need wins to keep playoff hopes alive. Then they get to week 9 playing at Sycamore, a place they've had some tough losses recently. 1 week at a time. Sterling also capitalized on every opportunity Kaneland gave them. While Sterling was in control the entire game, Kaneland did give them a nice challenge.
Agreed, Sterling could not stop them, but Kaneland definitely could not stop Sterling, I took it as Kanelands defense being slow but after beating Dekalb and Sycamore now I’m believing Sterling is that fast, good luck the rest of the way, your offense was really good!

Reactions: gags33
You’re wishing good luck to your own team, I’m a Sterling fan too. Believe me, off the board I’m one of the biggest Sterling homers around. I just like letting the play on the field do the talking as far as how good we are/where we should be ranked when it comes to message board talk.

It’s been a fun run the last couple of years and it’s been a lot more of reloading than rebuilding each year. Good talent and size at the lower levels, things could potentially keep going this way. Would have been crazy if a conference of kaneland, sycamore, Rochelle, sterling, Morris, and geneseo could have been figured out. Would have been rough travel overall but that would have been a tough 5a conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Couldn't agree more...as our youth program is very strong from 7th graders on up....looking strong thru 2024....I really can't believe the conference is over after this year .. there's always the hope of a non conference game.

Alright here we go.. week 7 games

Kaneland at Yorkville..... KANELAND. 28-7. If Sycamore put up 21 on Yorkville, kaneland should be able to put up at least 28... I think our defense is best on the east side of the conference and I think they improved much since the Sterling game as a whole.

Sycamore at Morris.... Based on seeing sycamore play last week, I'm going with a Morris upset. It's Morris HOCO and Sycamore going on the road after a beat down...17-14 MORRIS

Geneseo at Ottawa.... toss up but giving edge to GENESEO 21-14

Sterling at Rochelle.... Yorkville killed Rochelle. And I think Sterling would kill Yorkville. soooooo STERLING 44-0

LaSalle P at Dekalb... It is senior night.. DeKalb to much to handle for LP......DEKALB 32-0.

Kaneland at Yorkville- While Syca did put up 21, one Td was on a 5 yard drive after a turnover. One was to start game before D coordinator made a significant change. Sycamore should have scored at least 21 on Kaneland. They shot themselves in the foot with turnovers. Yorkville played poorly against Syca without a game changing receiver and top RB. This has been a great rivalry going back to Youth football. Sad to see it end. Yorkville 31 Kaneland 28

Sycamore at Morris- slugfest with similar styles, although if Morris smart will max protect and throw it 40 times. If Yville had done that against Sycamore would have been a 3 score game. Coaches were conservative without #1 receiver. Morris 28 Sycamore 17

Geneseo 24 Ottawa 7

Sterling 48 at Rochelle 0

Dekalb 42 LP 0

Our DBs are aware of the receiver . You make it sound like if we stop him, we'll win. I do expect a high-scoring affair if your receiver can have a game....but I don't see your Dstopping our O.. I think in the end we put up more points and and get the stops when we need them.... You're right though, it has been a good rivalry since youth football. Good luck..going to miss it. This junior class is my first year head coaching at kyfl. Good football class as well as yours.

Our DBs are aware of the receiver . You make it sound like if we stop him, we'll win. I do expect a high-scoring affair if your receiver can have a game....but I don't see your Dstopping our O.. I think in the end we put up more points and and get the stops when we need them.... You're right though, it has been a good rivalry since youth football. Good luck..going to miss it. This junior class is my first year head coaching at kyfl. Good football class as well as yours.
I am sure I coached against you at some point, my son played up with the 2019 group and then back with his class and I coached them since 9u days. Our receiver will see brackets and rolled safety and double teams and have all year. Helps rest of our offense as well. You have a very good secondary, just all depends on how much time we give our QB. Lots of history for this group against each other. Drew breaking QB clavicle in 7th grade, Drew and my daughter cancer journey, Alstott getting hurt against Yville a couple times in youth ball, etc... What HS football is all about. Hopefully weather holds out and doesn't change any outcomes. Good Luck to your son and all the Knights.

Mmmm...looks like a sloppy field is forecast

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2018] Sycamore (IL) 27, [2018] Morris (IL) 22

Trust me.. I'd rather have Sterling than Ottawa. Other than kaneland Sycamore and Rochelle and Morris to an extent, I don't see much competition in that conference. Only because we are bigger schools. I don't even know why they agreed to let us in. I think the kaneland Athletics pushed for it because they did not want to be left out to long without a conference. The only other place offering us a spot was a bunch of Rockford schools which nobody in the community wanted or logistical reasons. There are a lot of people in the kaneland communityh that do not like the new conference. For what I understand it is a trial basis. I really don't know all the politics of it all but I do know that I wish we were in a stronger conference much like the one we are in now..... Where is Sterling playing next year?

Sterling went into the Western Big Six along with Geneseo.

Why is everyone picking Sterling to blow out Rochelle, Rochelle is always under rated and a decent team, let’s say
Sterling 48-21 over Rochelle
Sycamore 31-21 over Morris
Yorkville 38-31 over Kaneland
Geneseo 31-17 over Ottawa
Dekalb 42-7 over LP

Sterling over Rochelle 48-14
Morris over Sycamore 21-20
Kaneland over Yorkville 35-21
Geneseo over Ottawa 28-6
Dekalb over LP 36-21

Rochelle is always under rated

i believe the opposite to be true. in the last 11 seasons, rochelle is barely above .500 overall. and in their 16 playoff games in that time, they are 8-8 with 5 of those wins being over chicago public league teams and 1 win over norridge ridgewood.

Reactions: Stable42
Sterling over Rochelle- Rochelle can do some nice things but sterling has too many weapons for them to handle. Interested to see the Sterling D step up against a physical team.

Kaneland Over Yorkville- Could be a shootout. When I saw Kaneland they struggled with speed and sounds like Yorkville has some good skill.

Sycamore over Morris- Bounce back game for Sycamore.

Geneseo over Ottawa- running clock

Dekalb over LP- running clock

You guys are scaring me with Kane/ Yorkville game. I'm thinking our defense has made the improvements since Sterling game. Since then some players jostled around. We should be able to keep their scoring to a minimum..... I hope.

I hear a lot about their O but nothing about their D.. but I guess in the end these two teams now each other well. It should be a good game.

Reactions: Gene K.
Yes good game if your Yorkville...they made second half adjustments and I feel we tried to sit on a lead then that pick six did us in. Really disappointed in our play. Congrats to you guys though. Good luck rest of season.

Yes good game if your Yorkville...they made second half adjustments and I feel we tried to sit on a lead then that pick six did us in. Really disappointed in our play. Congrats to you guys though. Good luck rest of season.
you too, you will a strong 6 a team to deal with come playoff time. Great scheme.

Sterling beat Rochelle yesterday with at least 4 of their starters missing, including their 2 best running backs, 1 of them is out for the season and the other may be coming back for the Sycamore game, not quite the same team without them. Rochelle took the lead with 1 min left In the game, Sterling picked up one first down and on last play of the game threw a 40 yard TD pass in the end zone for the win! unelivable game! This team does not quit!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stable42
Congrats on an exciting win.. was following it with a few other Kane peeps.... I didn't understand Roselle defense for the final play. You guys did not line up to kick they should have been in some kind of prevent defense. But it looked to me they were one on one with the receiver...Sad to hear about the boys. Hopefully you can get them back at least for the playoffs.

Reactions: Sterling Warrior
Poor DB......he's got to REALLY be sick. Same kid both times,..,As a parent i felt aggravated after losing to Yorkville..now I don't feel so bad ...tough to swallow for the purple nation.

Sad to hear about the boys. Hopefully you can get them back at least for the playoffs.

one is definitely not coming back, even though he's not injured. other reasons. and he's a senior. he's done.

the other one tweeked his knee and is being held out for a couple weeks. he's expected to be back week 9 or round 1 of the playoffs.

Dekalb will be tough on their field for Yorkville. Ottawa the following week should be a W.

Dekalb at home is a different team than on the road. That's what I've noticed the few years. I don't know if it has to do with their turf because they definitely are not a good grass team.... DeKalb defense impressed me more than their offense... Should be a good game

Week 8 pick em

Morris at kaneland..... Kaneland 21-20.. It's going to be a battle tough physical game. Morris is fighting for their playoff lives and kaneland already qualified with 5 wins and 40 playoff points. it's going to come down to who wants it more... I'm hoping kaneland bounces back after their second-half collapse to Yorkville last week. 37 total yards of offense in the second half is not going to cut it vs. anybody. If kaneland wins, they will share conference title with either Yorkville or DeKalb winner.

Yorkville at DeKalb... DeKalb. The only reason is home field advantage.. they are fast on their turf. Yorkville did impressed me last week by never giving up and that quarterback laid some balls in there in the secondby half. Going to be a close game and it could go either way. Another very close game. Winner of the game is guaranteed conference title honrs... If kaneland losses in Yorkville wins, Yorkville is outright conference Champs.

Sycamore at Geneseo... Sycamore, but another close game I feel. Geneseo will play them tough at home.

LP at Sterling....Sterling.. normally I would say it would be a blowout, but they they are missing both starting backs... I still think Sterling wins by a couple scores.

Rochelle at Ottawa.... Rochelle will be on a mission these last two weeks. They will win easy here and finish the season at kaneland.. they, just like Morris have to win out for a chance for the playoffs.

Kaneland over Morris by 14
Yorkville over Dekalb by 10
Sycamore over Geneseo by 17
Sterling over LP by 21 (even without their 2 backs)
Rochelle over Ottawa by 27

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT