ADVERTISEMENT

Western Big Six Week 1 preview

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
Back to my weekly series of previews for the Western Big Six and Three Rivers conferences! I will split Week 1's up into two posts as I will do something like season previews for these teams. I won't project final records or conference finish, but I will give my thoughts on each team's path to the playoffs, assuming 5 wins will be necessary. Teams are listed in alphabetical order as on the IHSA website.

UTHS - vs. LaSalle-Peru, vs. Muchin, vs. Sterling, at Geneseo, vs. Quincy, at Rock Island, vs. Moline, bye, at Galesburg
UT returns almost everyone... from a 1-8 football team last year. They showed some flashes and likely won't be complete pushovers. Their offense should continue to be decent but the defense will need to show serious improvement. Their path to the playoffs is not simple and will require finding a win in week 8 (they have not replaced Alleman yet, to my knowledge) and getting wins against both nonconference opponents. Fans in East Moline would then hope for a Week 9 win in Galesburg and them picking off one of the bigger boys, possibly Rock Island.

Galesburg - vs. Dunlap, at Limestone, at Indian Creek (IN), at Sterling, vs. Geneseo, at Quincy, vs. Rock Island, at Moline, vs UT
The Streaks will continue to have athletes but time will tell if they can improve enough to actually contend. Unfortunately it's been a while for the fans in Galesburg and this season features trips to last year's top three conference teams. Their path to the playoffs may be harder than UT's, as they will need to beat Limestone, Indian Creek, and UT, and then pick off two others.

Geneseo - vs. Comer, vs. Grayslake Central, at Moline, vs. UT, at Galesburg, vs. Sterling, vs. Mendota, at Quincy, vs. Rock Island
There's a lot of hype for Geneseo and understandably so as the Maple Leafs return a lot from a playoff team. Their spread offense (which still feels like an oxymoron for Geneseo) was able to put up numbers last year and they are hoping to ring the bell at their field a few times. The path to the playoffs is very reasonable, with Comer and Mendota as very likely wins and what they'd see as perfectly reasonable opponents in Galesburg and UT. Pick off one of Rock Island, Grayslake Central, Sterling, or Moline, and they're in.

Moline - at Glenbard North, vs. Benet, vs. Geneseo, at Quincy, vs. Rock Island, bye, at UT, vs. Galesburg, at Sterling
The Maroons lost a lot and will have questions on their O-line and secondary but brought in possibly the conference's best player in Georgia Tech-committed transfer DE William DePaepe. The Maroons also haven't found an opponent to replace Alleman, through no lack of trying on their part. Moline's path to the playoffs seems reasonable enough, especially if they get a win for the bye week, and another playoff game at Browning isn't out of the question.

Quincy - vs. QND, at Alton, at Rock Island, vs. Moline, at UT, vs. Galesburg, at Sterling, vs. Geneseo, vs. Mahomet-Seymour
Quincy returns a ton of athletes in the highest-flying offense in the league, bolstered by the return of Adon Byquist from an ACL tear last year. The hype for the Blue Devils is real and this may be their best team in many years. Their path to the playoffs looks almost certain as most of their tougher games are at home. With Quincy possibly projected into 7A, what would a Quincy-Moline playoff game look like? We can dream...

Rock Island - at Minooka, at Dunlap, vs. Quincy, vs. Sterling Newman, at Moline, vs. UT, at Galesburg, vs. Sterling, at Geneseo
A rough-looking year for the Rocks, who graduated a fair bit of talent from a mediocre team last year and also lost their coach. Athletes, they've got a few, but these Rocks will have to grow up very quickly. Their path to the playoffs looks very hard, with a brutal first two weeks and very few certain wins.

Sterling - at Metamora, vs. St. Francis, at UT, vs. Galesburg, at Princeton, at Geneseo, vs. Quincy, at Rock Island, vs. Moline
This is a team that graduated a lot but the consistency and pride in their program will always make the Warriors look like contenders. Lucas Austin, their gigantic tackle, should make the protection solid. The path to the playoffs looks reasonable enough, but by no means certain, as the Warriors have challenges in all three nonconference games and will face tough tasks in Moline, Quincy, and even Geneseo (make no mistake, the Maple Leafs are desperate for a win over their biggest rivals after a long dry spell).

On to Week 1 previews!

UTHS vs. LaSalle-Peru - I know very little about LP, beyond their 5-5 record last year with very inconsistent performances across their games. The game is at UT this year... I have no confidence in this pick, but I will go with UTHS in a nailbiter at Soule Bowl.

Galesburg vs. Dunlap - Dunlap won by 14 last year at Dunlap on their way to a 5-5 record. I think that program should bounce back and I give the Eagles the advantage again. I pick Dunlap, but this should be a convenient early measuring stick to see how good Galesburg will be.

Geneseo vs. Comer - New year, same result, Geneseo with a running clock at the end in a game that should give us no insight unless it's close.

Moline at Glenbard North - a very interesting Week 1 matchup between two teams that will likely run the ball a lot. This game could be over in an hour and a half the way they play, and it looks fairly evenly matched. I think the better team is Moline, and despite the trip, the Maroons have shown the ability to play well in the 'burbs and I think they get out of this with a win.

Quincy vs. Quincy Notre Dame - The Blue Devils' win in this one last year was an early sign of their resurgence, and the Raiders last year did not look like a great team, merely a decent one. I see no reason why they will beat Quincy High this season.

Rock Island at Minooka - Good grief, Charlie Brown! Minooka always seems like a team that will eventually be good, and their 7-4 record last year (punctuated by one-score losses to Plainfield North and Yorkville) suggests they're getting there. These long trips have not always been kind to the Rocks and I think Minooka should feel fine here.

Sterling at Metamora - Now this is a great matchup between two state powers. The Redbirds are hoping for their normal dominance on their new turf field. On a neutral site, I think this is an absolute tossup, so given that they're at home, I pick Metamora.

Week 1 picks:
United Township over LP in a close one.
Dunlap over Galesburg by two scores.
Geneseo over Comer by halftime.
Moline over Glenbard North. Rough first half for both teams, Moline wins it late.
Quincy over QND big. Quincy's O will be scary.
Minooka over Rock Island, pulls away after halftime.
Sterling over Metamora by a fingernail. Sterling tends to find a way in close games.

Week 1 picks:
United Township over LP in a close one.
Dunlap over Galesburg by two scores.
Geneseo over Comer by halftime.
Moline over Glenbard North. Rough first half for both teams, Moline wins it late.
Quincy over QND big. Quincy's O will be scary.
Minooka over Rock Island, pulls away after halftime.
Sterling over Metamora by a fingernail. Sterling tends to find a way in close games.
Sterling-Metamora is probably the game of the week, not just in the conference but arguably in the entire downstate.

I dont know who wins these, but wouldn't it be somethin if Rock Island changed their mascot to Dwayne Johnson? They could have electrifying lightning bolts down the side of the pants. Just a thought for any Rock Island folks out there.

I dont know who wins these, but wouldn't it be somethin if Rock Island changed their mascot to Dwayne Johnson? They could have electrifying lightning bolts down the side of the pants. Just a thought for any Rock Island folks out there.
Not gonna happen, if only because of Galesburg's heavy use of the lightning bolts, but I love the idea. Rocky has really been messing around with their uniforms lately, not always well (for a while their teams all used black as the primary dark color, when the school colors are red and gold). They used to use a uniform that was a blatant ripoff of the Packers with red in place of green, and it looked nice. I could do a whole thread with me griping about teams messing with their unis...

Not gonna happen, if only because of Galesburg's heavy use of the lightning bolts, but I love the idea. Rocky has really been messing around with their uniforms lately, not always well (for a while their teams all used black as the primary dark color, when the school colors are red and gold). They used to use a uniform that was a blatant ripoff of the Packers with red in place of green, and it looked nice. I could do a whole thread with me griping about teams messing with their unis...
We played Moline in 05 and Rocky in 06. Don't remember anything peculiar about the Rocky get ups. Just that I think McDonalds ruined red and yellow color schemes for me.

Quincy Senor High also likes to use black and silver/gray... School colors are White and Blue. Hence the name Blue Devils... They look cool I guess. And for QHS until, well, this year, looking cool has really been the primary objective. I'm sure they'll rub it in when they pound us this weekend, and we'll simply remind them that flexing on a 2A private school is hardly something they should concern themselves with.

Best of luck to QHS this year. I truly mean that. I hope they can get rid of some demons and make a run. They've never been able to get past round 2... and Rick Little isn't really ever on the hot seat. That's kind of been the best part of his job. He took over a pathetic losing program and made them a 5+ win per year playoff team. IMO, if I'm the Quincy faithful, Coach Little has a lot of work to do this year to cement his place for the long term future. This is a team that should make a legitimate run, assuming they can play some defense. He will probably never have an offense as good as this again, if history proves anything.

Reactions: rocketnation
Quincy Senor High also likes to use black and silver/gray... School colors are White and Blue. Hence the name Blue Devils... They look cool I guess. And for QHS until, well, this year, looking cool has really been the primary objective. I'm sure they'll rub it in when they pound us this weekend, and we'll simply remind them that flexing on a 2A private school is hardly something they should concern themselves with.

Best of luck to QHS this year. I truly mean that. I hope they can get rid of some demons and make a run. They've never been able to get past round 2... and Rick Little isn't really ever on the hot seat. That's kind of been the best part of his job. He took over a pathetic losing program and made them a 5+ win per year playoff team. IMO, if I'm the Quincy faithful, Coach Little has a lot of work to do this year to cement his place for the long term future. This is a team that should make a legitimate run, assuming they can play some defense. He will probably never have an offense as good as this again, if history proves anything.

RoaminCatholic, maybe this is just me as an Iowa alumnus still scarred by the hiring of Steve Alford and a series of other doofuses after they ran Tom Davis out of town, but I don't see why this has to be some sort of "prove-it" year for Little's long-term future. The guy wins games, perhaps not a gigantic amount, but certainly a respectable amount. He runs a clean program who produces good kids (until they find the Iowa sports betting sites, but that's another story for another day). Quincy isn't a football program that will be contending for state championships year in and year out, nor are most teams in this area. Like it or not, the Western Big Six is not the Chicago Catholic League and producing solid, winning teams is all you can ask for out of a public high school. I think even if Quincy "falters" to 6-3 or 5-4 this year, Little should have no worries about his future. Coaches like that don't grow on trees.

RoaminCatholic, maybe this is just me as an Iowa alumnus still scarred by the hiring of Steve Alford and a series of other doofuses after they ran Tom Davis out of town, but I don't see why this has to be some sort of "prove-it" year for Little's long-term future. The guy wins games, perhaps not a gigantic amount, but certainly a respectable amount. He runs a clean program who produces good kids (until they find the Iowa sports betting sites, but that's another story for another day). Quincy isn't a football program that will be contending for state championships year in and year out, nor are most teams in this area. Like it or not, the Western Big Six is not the Chicago Catholic League and producing solid, winning teams is all you can ask for out of a public high school. I think even if Quincy "falters" to 6-3 or 5-4 this year, Little should have no worries about his future. Coaches like that don't grow on trees.
I understand what Little is and what he means to that program. He's the stability they've never once had prior to his arrival. I grew up watching my friends and their siblings live as a punchline because QHS football couldn't muster but 1 or 2 wins a year. They always had quality athletes. Just not a wining culture. I played for Bill Connell and we won a lot of football games in my day. We made quarterfinal and semi-final appearances and we bowed out early my senior year to Mater Dei. I know how the culture around our program expected results, at least in the form of playoff wins. I'm a QND alum and supporter, so I'll rarely give out praise to QHS unless it's warranted. Just not in our nature at QND. lol

That said, I have praised Little numerous times over the past 15 years for his commitment to that program and his ability to find 5 wins consistently. He's been blessed with a lot of talent. He's been blessed with families and supporters willing to toss a lot of money into that program to help him. He's had the benefit of a conference that's trending down, not up. But, with the changing of tides on the field comes the changing of tides in the minds of those on the outside. You don't have to look too far to find an example of how impatient QHS athletic supporters are. Just look at how they treated a HOF basketball coach (Taylor) bc he had zero athletes and couldn't win a regional. Even Andy Douglas was on the hot seat prior to last season. If a Douglas can't keep a job at QHS in Quincy, no one is safe. For those who live in Quincy, it's well known that this school holds itself up and lives on the pillars built decades and decades ago. I also hold no expectations really for any WB6 football program. They're an average football league, and that won't change any time soon. So while I agree that 5+ wins and playoff appearance are great, I have to think if he can't make a legit run to the quarterfinals or better this year, some heads will start chirping. Again, Little will NEVER have a team like he has this year again. They have NEVER been targeted as a "contender" in a preseason. They can act like they know how to handle the pressure, but it's also easy to say they don't, because they've never felt it like this before. Again, if it's me, he needs to find a way to get to the quarterfinals. He needs to be able to at least compete with, and show they can beat at times, the majority of the "downstate" pubs that are their size. If they slip to 6-3 this year, I know plenty of QHS folks who will be mightily disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT