ADVERTISEMENT

Need advice for filming games

fuballcrzy

Mar 5, 2020
Hoping there's a chance that some video volunteers, coaches, etc may see this. Working on a project to get the most out of the game filming process. Currently use a system with a sideline camera connected to a hudl sideline. Also have a 10+ yr old endzone cam system that is not linked to hudl sideline. When both cameras are used to tape game, we are just uploading two films that weekend. There is no linkage of the camera angles. The endzone system is big, cumbersome and bulky with a small 4" screen. Requires operator to stand entire time with face peering into viewfinder.

Thinking of upgrading. Anyone have any experience with the wireless systems that will allow you to tape and control endzone camera from a distance? What systems are schools using and what do you recommend? To get into the wireless realm, its looking to be a $4K - $6K investment

Any and all thoughts or film capture recommendations are appreciated.

East St. Louis uses a wireless system with a guy in the box. You also can link the 2 angels in hudl fairly easily. What system do you have currently in the end zone some can be retrofitted to be wireless from the box.

Its the standard hudl sideline package with communication only from press box camera to ipad on sideline. Our endzone camera setup is just a digital camera operated manually from the endzone by an operator with the camera mounted on a 25' pole you can raise and lower. We essentially just have two seperate video productions going on. When reviewing game film on hudl after the game, its uploaded and filed as two separate videos.

For your setup, when you say wireless in the press box, do you mean that there is no one manually on the ground at the endzone pole manually operating the endzone camera to follow the action? The endzone camera can be controlled remotely from the press box?

I’m a big fan of filming with and iPad and a drone.

would live to see drones as the future of EZ angle

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
Its the standard hudl sideline package with communication only from press box camera to ipad on sideline. Our endzone camera setup is just a digital camera operated manually from the endzone by an operator with the camera mounted on a 25' pole you can raise and lower. We essentially just have two seperate video productions going on. When reviewing game film on hudl after the game, its uploaded and filed as two separate videos.

For your setup, when you say wireless in the press box, do you mean that there is no one manually on the ground at the endzone pole manually operating the endzone camera to follow the action? The endzone camera can be controlled remotely from the press box?
Yes I remember seeing ESL at Northern and their EZ camera was operated up in the box. They just had someone sit down there in case of technical difficulties. And its about a 5 minutes process to combine both productions into 1 seamless playlist.

As a college coach, would see more and more EZ cameras for regular season film. Believe it’s prohibited for playoff games.

My point was-would love to see the drone as the future of film. The angle is amazing.

As a college coach, would see more and more EZ cameras for regular season film. Believe it’s prohibited for playoff games.

My point was-would love to see the drone as the future of film. The angle is amazing.
Correct you can do it in regular season but prohibited in state series for some odd reason.

Any comment on the what kind of video is usually used for advance scouting purposes, generally speaking? Do programs mostly rely on bleacher video from scouts or wait for actual formal game video via a trade? Seems like advantages each way. Whatever gets the best combination of clarity and timely access, I suppose.

Hoping there's a chance that some video volunteers, coaches, etc may see this. Working on a project to get the most out of the game filming process. Currently use a system with a sideline camera connected to a hudl sideline. Also have a 10+ yr old endzone cam system that is not linked to hudl sideline. When both cameras are used to tape game, we are just uploading two films that weekend. There is no linkage of the camera angles. The endzone system is big, cumbersome and bulky with a small 4" screen. Requires operator to stand entire time with face peering into viewfinder.

Thinking of upgrading. Anyone have any experience with the wireless systems that will allow you to tape and control endzone camera from a distance? What systems are schools using and what do you recommend? To get into the wireless realm, its looking to be a $4K - $6K investment

Any and all thoughts or film capture recommendations are appreciated.

Be discreet, don’t let her know that you are there. Maybe hide the camera in a backpack or some other inconspicuous item. Oh...wait.. GAME, I thought it said DAME.

Scouting and trying to be discrete - just use the Hudl app on your phone. Works great

We’ve even filmed our games on the Hudl app. Uploads much quicker as well

Why do you need to be discreet. Everyone knows every team gets all games somehow.

Not the case.

Playoff you get two games.

also, I’m assuming others have a similar experience in that some of the film you get is absolutely trash. Feel more comfortable going and filming yourself.

Not the case.

Playoff you get two games.

also, I’m assuming others have a similar experience in that some of the film you get is absolutely trash. Feel more comfortable going and filming yourself.

We had every film of one opponent before we even called. That was mostly due to the guy being a dick and everyone in his conference hated him. I don't think we have ever played someone and not had any relevant game we wanted. Its not that hard.

As for filming, I think 2012 is the last time we filmed someone we played on the varsity level.We have rarely gotten a bad film and when we have the other team that played them would send it to us.

Reactions: Schwab54
We had every film of one opponent before we even called. That was mostly due to the guy being a dick and everyone in his conference hated him. I don't think we have ever played someone and not had any relevant game we wanted. Its not that hard.

As for filming, I think 2012 is the last time we filmed someone we played on the varsity level.We have rarely gotten a bad film and when we have the other team that played them would send it to us.
This right here. To expand on this. I remember the 18 Championship game Naz and St Charles North didn't even exchange films which tells me everyone had all 13 games.

your experience isn't the same for everyone. Don't most conferences have a rule (or at least un-written rule) not to share conference film in the playoffs. I for one want my conference to go as far as possible and won't share conference film if asked for.

In small school football. playing teams that run the wing-T...most often the film sent over is only of the front 7. for this reason, the place i was coaching at the time, we'd send a filmer before hand for playoff games to make sure we got good film and didn't leave it up to chance.

Yes I remember seeing ESL at Northern and their EZ camera was operated up in the box. They just had someone sit down there in case of technical difficulties. And its about a 5 minutes process to combine both productions into 1 seamless playlist.
Was the EZ camera actually remote controlled i.e. could be moved in/out and left/right by an operator in press box? Or, is EZ camera just fixed on the shot from the EZ and it is started and stopped by the person in the press box. In other words, does anyone know if you can get a decent film by having a stationary EZ camera in each end zone? The remote control cameras (meaning the ones you can move left/right and zoom from press box) are really expensive. I'm finding it would be cheaper to have a stationary EZ pole in each endzone fixed on that half of field than it would to buy one remote control camera. The sideline replay program is what allows the cameras to sync and be started and stopped in the press box.

Was the EZ camera actually remote controlled i.e. could be moved in/out and left/right by an operator in press box? Or, is EZ camera just fixed on the shot from the EZ and it is started and stopped by the person in the press box. In other words, does anyone know if you can get a decent film by having a stationary EZ camera in each end zone? The remote control cameras (meaning the ones you can move left/right and zoom from press box) are really expensive. I'm finding it would be cheaper to have a stationary EZ pole in each endzone fixed on that half of field than it would to buy one remote control camera. The sideline replay program is what allows the cameras to sync and be started and stopped in the press box.
Yes everything from the box and some are cheaper than you think and can even just retrofit your current system. You don't need to have replay equipment to sync. Feel free to reach out to me via PM and we can connect and I'll help you out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT