ADVERTISEMENT

Most Surprising Team in the Playoffs

I had Deerfield in quarterfinals. Crystal LAke South’s 5 wins were over teams with records of 3-6 3-6 3-6 2-7 and 0-9.
They gave up nearly 80 points in Week 9 so Deerfield beating them was not an upset.
Last week’s opponent was from the Chicago Public League and not named Simeon or Phillips.
So I had them in quarterfinals. Lake forest is a fascinating subject. The team plays in a 7a/8A conference with bigger-school
Powers such as Lake Zurich, Lubertyville, Stevenson and Warren so
It drops way down in class when it makes the plAyoffs and thus is a hidden threat. In addition when this season started, the Scouts (logo suggests a connection to Indians but apparently no one cares) could not pass the ball to save their soul, the QB could not run and the only semi-threat was a sophomore running back who Might develop into someone special. The faCt that the QB is now a legit running threat and passer is pretty amazing in terms of a transformation.
Useless trivia on lake forest: I believe they have made the playoffs 10 years in a row and are 9-1 in those first round games. Last time they whiffed on playoffs was senior season of star QB tommy Rees who went on to a good career qb-ing at Notre dame.
More trivia: lake forest coach Chuck spagnoli replaced Willie Sneed whose son is a stud wideout with the NFL Ravens.

The QB is a different QB than they had earlier in the year. The current QB is a Junior who didn't start until week 7. He is a better passer and runs very well. TOTALLY DIFFERENT TEAM WITH HIM NOW.

The QB is a different QB than they had earlier in the year. The current QB is a Junior who didn't start until week 7. He is a better passer and runs very well. TOTALLY DIFFERENT TEAM WITH HIM NOW.
Excellent. That certainly explains the turnaround. I see them winning on Saturday.
One of the reasons of course is that the central suburban north has long been considered by me as a weak football league whose champion gets little if any playoff respect.
I think that was shown when some chose crystal lake south of the more highly regarded Fox Valley Conference to beat Deerfield in playoff opener.
In any case, Lake Forest certainly qualifies as a team benefiting from playing up in class all season.
Thanks to the North Suburban Conf. Having a trio of bottom feeders, the Scouts have a shot at 5 wins each year and they make the most of the opportunities.
Props to the program for understanding the opportunities presented and making most of them.

I wrote off Lake Zurich after their few early losses. Thought maybe the coaching change effected them more then I thought it would, but it seems like they found their groove. Winning with defense. Tough test ahead this week and if MC and LZ wins this week it could be round 3 with them in the state playoffs.

Reactions: Gene K.
I'm not sure if Deerfield was the the most surprising team in the playoffs last week, but they have to be the most surprising semifinalist.

I heard a rumor that they have 5 or 6 Native American Indians on their team,if so congrats to them and the rest of the team.
Huh wut?

Ain’t no organized tribes down there - that’s just the town name. It’s old Belleville moving East, again, but it’s also Scott Air Base officers’ families. Lot’s of hard working locals supporting the base and thousands of rotating airmen. Air Mobility and Command - the transit hub of the US military operates from there. The biggest regional economic driver.

These are not bumpkins.

Huh wut?

Ain’t no organized tribes down there - that’s just the town name. It’s old Belleville moving East, again, but it’s also Scott Air Base officers’ families. Lot’s of hard working locals supporting the base and thousands of rotating airmen. Air Mobility and Command - the transit hub of the US military operates from there. The biggest regional economic driver.

These are not bumpkins.

this team is legit with 2 enormous lineman that can Move and done real stud skills players.
Everyone banned on JCA. Mascoutah blocked 2 punts- I believe a 3rd punt was muffed. That screams “COACHING!” Punt is the most important play EVERY GAME! the importance of net yardage is incredible.

the special teams issues caused by Mascoutah is a feather in their coaches hats!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT