ADVERTISEMENT

Montini at Sterling, 7 p.m.

rink62221

Jan 17, 2019
I will try and track the Montini at Sterling contest.
There are not many teams that get better coverage than the Golden Warriors, thanks to Jim Spencer and his crew.
And Roscoe Eades Field is one of the state's gems to watch a football game.
Interesting matchup. Montini has long been on of the state's top programs, while Sterling has been one of those schools who seem to rack up eight-nine wins every regular season going back to the 1970s who have yet to make a title game.

Last edited:
Raining in Sterling. Supposed to stop at some time during the game. Pregame workouts seemed to have just started.

Reactions: Wassup13
Montini scores on its second possession. 52-yd. TD pass to Turner. 7-0 6:42 left in first quarter.

Interception by Manley for Montini near midfield. Return to near the Sterling 30.

Sack ends Montini's possession. End of first quarter. Sterling will start first and 10 at its own 6.

Cardinals 4, Brewers 0, bottom of 2nd.
Old-man Wainwright at it again, although it's still early.

Last edited:
Reactions: crusader_of_90
Julian Turner with his second TD catch, 59 yards, great pass to wide open receiver on the sideline. 14-0, 3:46 left in the half.

14-0 Montini at halftime. Almost all of the offensive yardage came on two long TD catches by Turner.
Sterling's defense has played really well against Montini's explosive offense.
But Sterling will be lucky to score in the second half against the Montini first-string.
Sterling's punter has been the second-best player on the field.
Broncos get ball to start second half.

I know Coach S loves to platoon Quarterbacks, but the sophomore isn't ready to face a Montini type team.

Montini's first drive of second half features a couple nice runs by Marre. Ends in 23-yard field goal. Broncos lead 17-0 with 8:33 left in third quarter.

Sterling will score. AJ Kested with a pick-six off a tipped pass by Cole Teschner. About 29 yards. 17-7 with 6:37 left in third.

Marre with good kickoff return, but will be called back. Sophomore is an impressive runner, and he's their second-stringer.

Reactions: gw86
Update from Milwaukee. Cardinals 8, Brewers 0.
Arenado slugging and Waino dealing.

Joshua Robinson scored on 25-yd TD run, but it's going to come back on a hold. Montini has lost about three big plays to penalties.

Marre does a great job on those counters just tucking behind those pullers and hitting once the hole gets there.

Very impressed with Marre. Great patience and explosiveness once out in the open.

Sterling kicks a 28-yard field goal, after a five-year penalty had pushed it back, 17-10 with 7:05 to go.
This is getting interesting.

Sterling finally makes a stop on Marre, forcing a three and out. Golden Warriors will start from their own 35 after punt. Around 4:20 to go.

Sterling fourth and short at Montini 45. QB busts five yard run to midfield.
Next play wide open reciver drops pass 15 yds. down field.
Third down, no gain on run up middle.
Tate makes great catch on sideline for first down about 37-yard line.

First down run up middle no gain.
2nd -- Screen pass no gain. Time sterling 1:49.
3rd == Sterling QB takes bad sack. Scrambled too long. He's injured. Time out. Ball at 42 yd line. Has to be helped off field.
Soph QB will take snap on 4th and 14.

Nice effort by Sterling to make a game of it. Defense was very good all game, expect for two long passes and trying to contain Marre. Offense showed up late. Montini may have lost two TDs due to penalties. Something Sterling can build on, although injury to QB could be big if serious. Montini is a very talented team on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: Gene K.
No problem. I like doing this kind of stuff. Takes me back to my days when I was in the pressbox.

One final note -- Cardinals 10, Brewers 0, bottom of 7. The age-less wonder Adam Wainwright is still dealing.

Glad to see Sterling come back to make it a 17-10 game. Class act by Montinis quarterback at the end of game. No one in the 3A playoffs will come close to beating Montini, it will be a massacre.
42-0 every game at the half and you won’t play your starters in the second half of every game including the Final.

• Wow
Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT