ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota @ Chicago

Wittymoniker1

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2007
La Grange Park, IL
That is what I am thinking. Going into that final week, what should Bear do in that last game?

1. Go all out and possibly knock Vikings out of playoff to face a weaker Panther-Redskin-Eagle?

2. Rest everyone and prepare for the Vikings in Chicago on January 6 or 7th?

I guess we have to see what happens next week because if Dallas gets that 3rd seed, then Bear will face Seahawk again.

Update: I guess the Colts beat the Cowboys, so Bear should be a 3rd seed.

I think you let the momentum and circumstances of the game dictate what you do. You start out going 100 percent trying to win and knock them out and then adjust. If the game situation becomes a blowout either way and you start resting guys.

My thoughts exactly Mark. Give Trubisky some time on the field but remove him early in the 2nd half of the game if the score is not close either way. Same with the key play makers on the Bears.

My thoughts exactly Mark. Give Trubisky some time on the field but remove him early in the 2nd half of the game if the score is not close either way. Same with the key play makers on the Bears.

I agree
I never like throwing a game. It doesn’t help the momentum going into the playoffs.

With all due respect to my friend, Gene ... that strategy was followed by some team either last year or the year before, and it backfired on them badly. I don't recall the specifics - sorry

Reactions: Gene K.
With all due respect to my friend, Gene ... that strategy was followed by some team either last year or the year before, and it backfired on them badly. I don't recall the specifics - sorry

So you leave in all your starters in a blowout heading into the playoffs?

Eagle beat Ram last night, so if both have the same result or bears win/rams lose on in their Dec. 23 game, the Bears could be fighting for #2 when they play in Minnesota.

Reactions: McCaravan
Start starters including Mitch. Play them a half and then rest them, some not all, regardless of the score.

If your playing for the 2 seed and bye week, obviously play them and go for the W. If the playoff game is locked in, then it’s Chase Daniels and Co. time. You play and get a main player hurt in a meaningless game the media and Bears nation will crucify you.

If your playing for the 2 seed and bye week, obviously play them and go for the W. If the playoff game is locked in, then it’s Chase Daniels and Co. time. You play and get a main player hurt in a meaningless game the media and Bears nation will crucify you.
With only one game between them now, and the Bears owning the tie breaker and with the Rams having one of the few 3:00 games week 17, the odds are very good that the Bears are still technically playing for the Bye week 17. Actually the only thing that makes a bye impossible is a Bears loss and Rams win next week. A NO loss tonight or next week plus a Bears win next week would keep the number 1 seed in play week 17 as well (but with concurrent games you could see halftime shift in strategy).

So very good odds week 17 is treated as a meaningful game, no matter the long odds of SF over LA or CAR over NO week 17. In some ways, it could even be less meaningful for Minn who could conceivably be locked in to the 6 seed (though they could be in play for the 5 seed or missing the playoffs too) .

Now, they may stay cautious with injured guys like Jackson, so the threshold for siting up may be a tad lighter than it would for a playoff game.

If we're trying to comfort ourselves, a bye week for a relatively healthy and young, playoff fresh team may not be the best thing anyways. Wouldn't be surprised to see rusty overthrowing Mitch off a bye week for instance.

Tonight is a trap game for New Orleans. The Panthers playing for their playoff lives coming off 5 straight losses. The Saints could look past and get caught. It’s a long shot but certainly possible.

If the Saints lose tonight and the Bears win out does this impact seeding at all?

Tonight is a trap game for New Orleans. The Panthers playing for their playoff lives coming off 5 straight losses. The Saints could look past and get caught. It’s a long shot but certainly possible.

If the Saints lose tonight and the Bears win out does this impact seeding at all?

Impacts it hugely. With the Rams loss the Bears could win out and get a bye. Rams have 49ers and Cardinals left so that doesn’t help. New Orleans has Carolina on the road tonight and Pittsburgh at home. Realistic for sure likely - hmm

Magic number for a bye is 3 (Bears wins and Rams losses)
Magic number for #1 seed is 4 (Bears wins and Saints losses, combined with the above as well)

Reactions: Cat Box

I don't agree. Tonight is a division game for the Saints and Panthers so I seriously don't think the Saints are taking them lightly.

Right now the Bears have to play as if they can move up in seeding. If the Bears can still move up in week 17 you might see their game time with the Vikings get switched to 3:00 so their game and the Rams game can start at the same time.

I don't agree. Tonight is a division game for the Saints and Panthers so I seriously don't think the Saints are taking them lightly.

Right now the Bears have to play as if they can move up in seeding. If the Bears can still move up in week 17 you might see their game time with the Vikings get switched to 3:00 so their game and the Rams game can start at the same time.
I didn't think they moved games during week 17. All the late games are Mountain or West and the early games Central or Eastern.

I didn't think they moved games during week 17. All the late games are Mountain or West and the early games Central or Eastern.
They switched kickoff time for a couple games last year that had playoff implications. Suppose the Bears and Rams both win this week. Then suppose the Bears play at Minnesota at noon and lose. Then the Rams can rest players and know they have the number 2 seed. Because their game with the 49ers in week 17 starts at 3:25 our time.

Since they can't move the Rams game back 3 hours the Bears game would most likely be moved to a 3:00 or 3:25 start.

It is no guarantee it will get switched but it did happen last year.

They can switch from noon to 3-ish. No night games so flex to 7 is out.

That is what I am thinking. Going into that final week, what should Bear do in that last game?

1. Go all out and possibly knock Vikings out of playoff to face a weaker Panther-Redskin-Eagle?

2. Rest everyone and prepare for the Vikings in Chicago on January 6 or 7th?

I guess we have to see what happens next week because if Dallas gets that 3rd seed, then Bear will face Seahawk again.

Update: I guess the Colts beat the Cowboys, so Bear should be a 3rd seed.

I think it should depend on what happens with the Rams and Saints and if the Bears have a chance to move up a seed and get a bye in the wild card round.

Might the Vikings game be flexed (even though the previous game vs. the Vikings was flexed a few weeks ago) to Sunday night? If so, then the Bears would certainly know before game time if they have a shot or not at moving up a seed.

If they have a shot at moving up a seed if they win, then I think they should go all out. If they don't, then they can use the opportunity to give some reps to guys who would benefit from them and rest players who are banged up.

It's simple, if there is nothing to play for Mitch sits along with others. One tricky thing is this is not the preseason so they have only so many options of who can sit.

Might the Vikings game be flexed (even though the previous game vs. the Vikings was flexed a few weeks ago) to Sunday night?

Last game in week 17 is Sunday at 3:25 p.m. No Sunday night, no Monday night.

Last game in week 17 is Sunday at 3:25 p.m. No Sunday night, no Monday night.

And that 3:25 start just happens to be when the Rams will play the 49ers. Regardless, if the Rams lose this weekend to the Cardinals and the Bears beat the 49ers, then the Bears and Rams will enter the final weekend with identical records. If the Bears beat the Vikings, they will get the second seed and first round bye no matter what the Rams do against the 49ers that day.

And that 3:25 start just happens to be when the Rams will play the 49ers. Regardless, if the Rams lose this weekend to the Cardinals and the Bears beat the 49ers, then the Bears and Rams will enter the final weekend with identical records. If the Bears beat the Vikings, they will get the second seed and first round bye no matter what the Rams do against the 49ers that day.

In which case they would likely mini-flex the Bears Vikings to 3:25 p.m.

Noticed the increased parity in this year's NFL. Worst possible record will be 3-13 and best possible is 14-2. 19 teams still in the playoff picture heading into the final 2 weeks. 5 out of 8 division titles are still undecided.

Are the Bears going to be multiplied or success factored next year after winning their division this year? Maybe the IHSA could shed some light on this! Maybe put in some districts where the Bears could play some college teams to balance out their schedule!

Are the Bears going to be multiplied or success factored next year after winning their division this year? Maybe the IHSA could shed some light on this! Maybe put in some districts where the Bears could play some college teams to balance out their schedule!
Kind of, yes. They’ll be playing a first place schedule which is a bit of a success factor meant to balance things out a bit.

Reactions: Gene K. and Cat Box
You guys are right with the tougher schedule and the lower draft picks but if we take IHSA's model in consideration then we need to play some lower level colleges as non conferences game which won't count for nothing. Or to be really fair like IHSA we can eliminate any draft picks for the Bears for two years and make them only play last years conference champions only.

More risky gadget plays that backfire. Not sure if that one is on Nagy or Mitch but on second down and 1 in your own half of the field it was a really bad idea.

Ok here’s my disclaimer....im not whining or insulting my beloved Bears and I’m thrilled with how they have played this year. Now regarding how they are doing in this particular game....A mediocre or even below average defense like SF holding the Bears starting offense to a single TD in the first half is not what I was hoping to see today. Bears defense still looks good considering the bad situations they’ve had to deal with but I wouldn’t say they are dominating. The ghost of Robbie Gould is looming and Parkey missed another very makable FG. I’m still optimistic they will get their shit together at halftime and make the needed adjustments to win.

It amazes me how some of you get through life while being so negative. The Bears win...on the road and you are still not happy. The Bears finished 7-1 at home and are currently 4-3 on the road. I don't know if some you know this. But, whenever you can go .500 or better on the road in the NFL, that is very good. It's hard to win games on the road in that league no matter who is playing each other.

You look at the teams that make the playoffs each year and more often than not they finish around .500 or better on the road. Look where the Packers will finish. That is because they were 1-7 on the road this year.

No, it wasn't a perfect game. But at the same time some of you need to remember where this team was last year and years before that. Yes, I want them to win once the playoffs start and will be disappointed if the don't. But, enjoy this.

It amazes me how some of you get through life while being so negative. The Bears win...on the road and you are still not happy. The Bears finished 7-1 at home and are currently 4-3 on the road. I don't know if some you know this. But, whenever you can go .500 or better on the road in the NFL, that is very good. It's hard to win games on the road in that league no matter who is playing each other.

You look at the teams that make the playoffs each year and more often than not they finish around .500 or better on the road. Look where the Packers will finish. That is because they were 1-7 on the road this year.

No, it wasn't a perfect game. But at the same time some of you need to remember where this team was last year and years before that. Yes, I want them to win once the playoffs start and will be disappointed if the don't. But, enjoy this.

Who are you referring to regarding not being happy? Or not enjoying the season?

I’ve said it before several times, it’s quite possible to really like and enjoy this Bears team and to be very satisfied with how this season has worked out while at the same time having some areas of concern regarding how far they can go in the playoffs. It doesn’t make anyone less of a fan to look at this team objectively, to talk about both strengths and weaknesses and to have realistic expectations.

Getting tired of the preaching from the “Shut up and enjoy the Season” crowd every time someone offers a legit criticism of the Bears. Hell, I even had to start with a disclaimer on my previous post and it still doesn’t prevent certain “mega-fans” from preaching. Listen clearly, I love how this season has gone. It has exceeded expectations by far. I’m excited about the future and like you I am cheering hard for them to win every game. It’s really fun to watch Bears football again and for that I am very grateful. Now...is it ok for a few of us to share some criticisms without having our fan cards revoked?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT