ADVERTISEMENT

MC @ St. Rita

Is this Mount Carmel's best team ever? I think it was, at least for a while. Dupree was a huge loss. But MC still has an arsenal of weapons. Going into Saturday's game, the Caravan remains, as the Sun-Times said, "...the king of Chicago high school football."
"The King of Illinois Football" would be the appropriate title, We've always played a big-time schedule and we always played up to the quality level of our very respectable opposition. I'm not trying to be uncivil, but that's how it is.

Last edited:
I'm excited for this game.....I'm taking MC by 21. Seeing Rita vs Prospect; Rita is big and strong and their running game wears you down by the second half......but MC's defense is up for that challenge. I don't see MC being held to less than 30 points the way their offense looks right now.

I wish this was the state championship game!
Your excited for this game but you take MC by 21? How is it a good game unless your a huge. MC fan.

Your excited for this game but you take MC by 21? How is it a good game unless your a huge. MC fan.

Don't know what to tell you bud. Was excited to go to the Rita vs. Prospect game and figured Rita would win big. Was a fun game to attend.

Think this game will be fun, regardless of the score.

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
Don't know what to tell you bud. Was excited to go to the Rita vs. Prospect game and figured Rita would win big. Was a fun game to attend.

Think this game will be fun, regardless of the score.
Appreciate you coming out and watching CCL football. Not saying you pull for Rita, but we'll take any fans we can.

Is this Mount Carmel's best team ever? I think it was, at least for a while. Dupree was a huge loss. But MC still has an arsenal of weapons. Going into Saturday's game, the Caravan remains, as the Sun-Times said, "...the king of Chicago high school football."

With all due respect to ‘22 MC, they would get grinded down to a pulp by the some of the mid-90s MC teams. Carter Kopach/Steve Filer ‘06 team was tremendous as well. Just a different breed. ‘22 MC offense would maybe get 5 possessions in the game. Fun hypothetical with two totally different styles of football but no chance ‘22 is best ever.

With all due respect to ‘22 MC, they would get grinded down to a pulp by the some of the mid-90s MC teams. Carter Kopach/Steve Filer ‘06 team was tremendous as well. Just a different breed. ‘22 MC offense would maybe get 5 possessions in the game. Fun hypothetical with two totally different styles of football but no chance ‘22 is best ever.

Of course it's hypothetical and it sounds too much like boasting, but if the '22 offense got five posessions, it would get five touchdowns. You are right that MC has had good teams in every decade.

How many State Rings do those guys have?????? ZERO

How many State Rings do those guys have?????? ZERO
22' Caravan hasn't won anything yet either. Think the poster is only saying that football as a whole was stronger in the 90's/early 2000s. Will never know, but somewhat agree

22' Caravan hasn't won anything yet either. Think the poster is only saying that football as a whole was stronger in the 90's/early 2000s. Will never know, but somewhat agree
I hope this doesn’t throw the thread off topic but it’s been brought up if this team can compare to the great teams of earlier years and you just can’t compare it because the game is so different now. You can compare the 96 to the 99 team but comparing those teams to the 2022 team would be like comparing 96 team to a team in the 1960’s...the speed is so much greater, the strength and conditioning now is unbelievable to what teams went through 20-30 years ago....and the off season training camps, they didn’t exist, at least not to the extent they do now. It’s a greater caliber of athletes. Any defense from the 90’s trying to cover Furlong, Gilliam, Arrington, Taylor or Bossie would struggle. Any veer offense going against this defense with their speed and athleticism would struggle. Those teams were AMAZING and dominate for that time, but the game has just evolved so much it’s impossible to compare. I’ll give the teams of past years this, this didn’t get as many flags thrown against them!! And that’s just not on MCs team because BR had about 9 of their own last week.

I hope this doesn’t throw the thread off topic but it’s been brought up if this team can compare to the great teams of earlier years and you just can’t compare it because the game is so different now. You can compare the 96 to the 99 team but comparing those teams to the 2022 team would be like comparing 96 team to a team in the 1960’s...the speed is so much greater, the strength and conditioning now is unbelievable to what teams went through 20-30 years ago....and the off season training camps, they didn’t exist, at least not to the extent they do now. It’s a greater caliber of athletes. Any defense from the 90’s trying to cover Furlong, Gilliam, Arrington, Taylor or Bossie would struggle. Any veer offense going against this defense with their speed and athleticism would struggle. Those teams were AMAZING and dominate for that time, but the game has just evolved so much it’s impossible to compare. I’ll give the teams of past years this, this didn’t get as many flags thrown against them!! And that’s just not on MCs team because BR had about 9 of their own last week.
Do you think we should compare today’s referees to the ones of the ‘90’s?

Reactions: Silver Rain
You can do a few quick google searches and you'll see that from the 90s to about 2010 youth football participation increased every year and since about 2010 there has been a decline. Just going purely off numbers, the more participants you have the stronger the sport is.

Not sure the exact series wins/loss but I know MC has the advantage. Somewhere in the neighborhood of a 70/30 split.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver Rain
I’m too lazy to check, but I bet SR has only beaten MC about 4 times at 77th street,
I got a few hours before I go to work
SR wins at home on 77th
1994- 28-17 IN THE PLAYOFFS AFTER A LOSS IN THE REGULAR SEASON!!
2006- 7-6
2008- 35-21
2010 35-14
2011 17-7
2014 23-21
2017 38-21 (last game until 2021)

I got a few hours before I go to work
SR wins at home on 77th
1994- 28-17 IN THE PLAYOFFS AFTER A LOSS IN THE REGULAR SEASON!!
2006- 7-6
2008- 35-21
2010 35-14
2011 17-7
2014 23-21
2017 38-21 (last game until 2021)
Thanks. I was a student for the 94 game which was special.

Reactions: McCaravan
It is just not possible to compare teams from different eras. Everything evolves. Can only truly compare teams vs each other in the same era. Best MC team of all-time with how they dominated in their time is actually pretty unanimous with the 1950 team but cannot compare vs, future teams. *Would love to see the '22 offense vs the '12 defense.

This 22 MC is a better offensive team and the 06 was a better defensive team. Really hard to pick a winner between the two of them. Both of finest teams talent wise.

Same argument from the same guy who likes to tell the younger guys how hard things were back in my day. You guys never would have made it , How we were better, tougher blah blah blah. And nobody understands how things used to be. It’s nonsense.

Same argument from the same guy who likes to tell the younger guys how hard things were back in my day. You guys never would have made it , How we were better, tougher blah blah blah. And nobody understands how things used to be. It’s nonsense.
Sorry but overall team “toughness” I’ll go with the old MC. Both players and coaches

Sorry but overall team “toughness” I’ll go with the old MC. Both players and coaches

I don't know....the old MC coach asked to leave the CCL blue to play in green.....

As it was then, the odd team out will be Mount Carmel, which will drop to the Green.

There was a provision to opt into a tougher division, but Mount Carmel accepted the assignment.

"We just happened to be the first team it was offered to," Lenti said. "We said we'll take advantage of the opportunity."

I’m a fan of both programs. But I’m pulling for Cascia. For Todd, for better looking uniforms, for getting my bag back last year and for the SR posters. Best of luck to both of these storied programs!

This little excerpt provides the only footage I've ever seen of MC's "miracle catch" against HF in '88. I will interpret that as a good omen.
That white cutlass in the background outside the fence was me! I was inside Gately first half, but decided to move out there since it was raining so much. I can still see that ball bouncing around in slow motion

ALOT MORE EXPLOSIVE!!

The hitting will be phenomenal by both sides Saturday
Always is! MC wasn't able to rush at all in August vs Rita.....Even with Dupree who I think got 30 yards that game. Turbo had the biggest gain of the day on a sweep.

Reactions: RockSoup
During the missed fall covid season St. Rita replayed old games on YouTube, each Friday night as if a real season was going on. This went on thru what would have been the Saturday after Thanksgiving. During the MC week a game from the past was on air every night. Link to those games:

SR MC replays

During the missed fall covid season St. Rita replayed old games on YouTube, each Friday night as if a real season was going on. This went on thru what would have been the Saturday after Thanksgiving. During the MC week a game from the past was on air every night. Link to those games:

SR MC replays
This is part of the reason I love the Catholic League.

SR MC replays
That's pretty cool. A lot of schools have games on you tube but SR put them out there one at time like a real season. But what was missing was the weekly banter on Edgy. That make a football season.

The game will be on NFHS according to the MC Football Facebook page and I double checked that info with our resident NFHS advisor groot. Was also told the stream will come from the Marquee broadcast. Much like the MC/BR game came from the Caravan Network Broadcast but that’s third hand water cooler info so don’t hold me to that, but it will be on NFHS at very least to those of you who can’t make it. Don’t go changing your cable network for it 😀

Reactions: eireog
Final thoughts on the 101st meeting before I begin my 24 hour fasting and self-flagellation ritual that I have done prior to the last 44 meetings.

Really special to see so many names of the players on the rosters that have had Dads play in the rivalry. Hate to miss anyone and MC fans would know the Caravan ones better but I see Kingsbury, Kuska, Courtney, Middleton, Strelczyk, Schmitt, Stawczyk, Kelly, Blake, Mandel, Burke, Bubacz, Wiatrak, Henson. Of course, Novickas on MC chose his Uncle's alma mater over his Dad's but even those type of decisions get remembered in the lore surrounding this rivalry.

Nick Strelczyk, who missed week 1, is playing at a high level, I'd say a Valen Erickson level which I don't toss around lightly. A P5 will get a gift if they offer. But this will be the best front seven he has seen this year so it will be exciting to watch Armbruster, Strelczyk, Gerger, Gomez and Courtney try to make room against the best front 7 in the state.

Obviously I'm pulling for St. Rita but, I mean, to pull this one off is just hard to imagine. But the football is oblong and hard to handle sometimes so I'll allow myself to imagine. Paths that give me hope:

I already mentioned the offensive line but prior to the Quarterfinals they had only been penalized 3 times for holding. But even with Mt. Carmel being penalized a bit the last half? of the season, the games between these two state powers usually have few penalties called other than the procedural stuff. I remember @MWittman mentioning to me how clean and fast week one's game went and I told him, it's been like that (few penalties) between these two well-coached teams for the last decade. So winning or not losing the free/given yards battle would help. Avoid bad downs and distances.

The St. Rita O has to stack first downs. It's the only path. If it takes the whole roster to accomplish that, then it takes the whole roster, everything has to be on the table in this one.

St. Rita special teams have been an incredible difference maker this whole year. And when a crazy result happens at the NFL or College level, you can look at special teams many times as the reason. A game should go a certain way and there is really no way the script can get flipped and then something crazy on special teams happens and onlookers are stunned. The ball is shaped weird, the weather is cold, the ball is slippery for both teams.

And the St. Rita Defense just playing their best at the right time of the season. I hope they blitz 9. I hope they drop 9, I hope they drop Farrell's 6'6 frame a wingspan into quick passing lanes, I hope they try everything. But what it will come down to will be tackling. Period. A 5 yard pass must be a 5 yard pass. Manning cannot get loose. Their ball handlers are monsters, difference-makers, special. I don't know what scheme can work against them, but I know the damage can be minimized if the communication and tackling is at its very best.

There it is. 3 paths needed to accomplish to bring this game into the 4th quarter, into instant classic territory. Here is to an exemplary, respected foe, opponent, rival, brother; best of health to your Caravan. See you Saturday afternoon

Final thoughts on the 101st meeting before I begin my 24 hour fasting and self-flagellation ritual that I have done prior to the last 44 meetings.

Really special to see so many names of the players on the rosters that have had Dads play in the rivalry. Hate to miss anyone and MC fans would know the Caravan ones better but I see Kingsbury, Kuska, Courtney, Middleton, Strelczyk, Schmitt, Stawczyk, Kelly, Blake, Mandel, Burke, Bubacz, Wiatrak, Henson. Of course, Novickas on MC chose his Uncle's alma mater over his Dad's but even those type of decisions get remembered in the lore surrounding this rivalry.

Nick Strelczyk, who missed week 1, is playing at a high level, I'd say a Valen Erickson level which I don't toss around lightly. A P5 will get a gift if they offer. But this will be the best front seven he has seen this year so it will be exciting to watch Armbruster, Strelczyk, Gerger, Gomez and Courtney try to make room against the best front 7 in the state.

Obviously I'm pulling for St. Rita but, I mean, to pull this one off is just hard to imagine. But the football is oblong and hard to handle sometimes so I'll allow myself to imagine. Paths that give me hope:

I already mentioned the offensive line but prior to the Quarterfinals they had only been penalized 3 times for holding. But even with Mt. Carmel being penalized a bit the last half? of the season, the games between these two state powers usually have few penalties called other than the procedural stuff. I remember @MWittman mentioning to me how clean and fast week one's game went and I told him, it's been like that (few penalties) between these two well-coached teams for the last decade. So winning or not losing the free/given yards battle would help. Avoid bad downs and distances.

The St. Rita O has to stack first downs. It's the only path. If it takes the whole roster to accomplish that, then it takes the whole roster, everything has to be on the table in this one.

St. Rita special teams have been an incredible difference maker this whole year. And when a crazy result happens at the NFL or College level, you can look at special teams many times as the reason. A game should go a certain way and there is really no way the script can get flipped and then something crazy on special teams happens and onlookers are stunned. The ball is shaped weird, the weather is cold, the ball is slippery for both teams.

And the St. Rita Defense just playing their best at the right time of the season. I hope they blitz 9. I hope they drop 9, I hope they drop Farrell's 6'6 frame a wingspan into quick passing lanes, I hope they try everything. But what it will come down to will be tackling. Period. A 5 yard pass must be a 5 yard pass. Manning cannot get loose. Their ball handlers are monsters, difference-makers, special. I don't know what scheme can work against them, but I know the damage can be minimized if the communication and tackling is at its very best.

There it is. 3 paths needed to accomplish to bring this game into the 4th quarter, into instant classic territory. Here is to an exemplary, respected foe, opponent, rival, brother; best of health to your Caravan. See you Saturday afternoon
Great post! I think this list is pretty accurate, but apologies if some were missed. MC has Boyle, Chirillo, Daigler, Deacy, Dowling, Doyle, Frangella, Fleck, Furlong, McCool, Medina, Novickas!, O'Brien and Regan.

Hoping for a game where both teams play their best, there are no serious injuries...and MC wins!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT