ADVERTISEMENT

MC @ St. Rita

Great post! I think this list is pretty accurate, but apologies if some were missed. MC has Boyle, Chirillo, Daigler, Deacy, Dowling, Doyle, Frangella, Fleck, Furlong, McCool, Medina, Novickas!, O'Brien and Regan.

Hoping for a game where both teams play their best, there are no serious injuries...and MC wins!
Toland

Novickas Dad played one of the great high school games of all time for SR in 89 at Gately

On one knee too
Really dominant in the 88 semifinal when Novickas, Hamilton, Charnot, Kingsbury, McGuire, Foys, Spero, sometimes Clince and run support SS Pena stopped all of the MC running game.

Um, bad part of that was, nevermind my phone is about to die.:mad:

Final thoughts on the 101st meeting before I begin my 24 hour fasting and self-flagellation ritual that I have done prior to the last 44 meetings.

Really special to see so many names of the players on the rosters that have had Dads play in the rivalry. Hate to miss anyone and MC fans would know the Caravan ones better but I see Kingsbury, Kuska, Courtney, Middleton, Strelczyk, Schmitt, Stawczyk, Kelly, Blake, Mandel, Burke, Bubacz, Wiatrak, Henson. Of course, Novickas on MC chose his Uncle's alma mater over his Dad's but even those type of decisions get remembered in the lore surrounding this rivalry.

Nick Strelczyk, who missed week 1, is playing at a high level, I'd say a Valen Erickson level which I don't toss around lightly. A P5 will get a gift if they offer. But this will be the best front seven he has seen this year so it will be exciting to watch Armbruster, Strelczyk, Gerger, Gomez and Courtney try to make room against the best front 7 in the state.

Obviously I'm pulling for St. Rita but, I mean, to pull this one off is just hard to imagine. But the football is oblong and hard to handle sometimes so I'll allow myself to imagine. Paths that give me hope:

I already mentioned the offensive line but prior to the Quarterfinals they had only been penalized 3 times for holding. But even with Mt. Carmel being penalized a bit the last half? of the season, the games between these two state powers usually have few penalties called other than the procedural stuff. I remember @MWittman mentioning to me how clean and fast week one's game went and I told him, it's been like that (few penalties) between these two well-coached teams for the last decade. So winning or not losing the free/given yards battle would help. Avoid bad downs and distances.

The St. Rita O has to stack first downs. It's the only path. If it takes the whole roster to accomplish that, then it takes the whole roster, everything has to be on the table in this one.

St. Rita special teams have been an incredible difference maker this whole year. And when a crazy result happens at the NFL or College level, you can look at special teams many times as the reason. A game should go a certain way and there is really no way the script can get flipped and then something crazy on special teams happens and onlookers are stunned. The ball is shaped weird, the weather is cold, the ball is slippery for both teams.

And the St. Rita Defense just playing their best at the right time of the season. I hope they blitz 9. I hope they drop 9, I hope they drop Farrell's 6'6 frame a wingspan into quick passing lanes, I hope they try everything. But what it will come down to will be tackling. Period. A 5 yard pass must be a 5 yard pass. Manning cannot get loose. Their ball handlers are monsters, difference-makers, special. I don't know what scheme can work against them, but I know the damage can be minimized if the communication and tackling is at its very best.

There it is. 3 paths needed to accomplish to bring this game into the 4th quarter, into instant classic territory. Here is to an exemplary, respected foe, opponent, rival, brother; best of health to your Caravan. See you Saturday afternoon
A freak sleet storm might help a little.... and let ALL the kids get out the game healthy and their heads held high.

Really dominant in the 88 semifinal when Novickas, Hamilton, Charnot, Kingsbury, McGuire, Foys, Spero, sometimes Clince and run support SS Pena stopped all of the MC running game.

Um, bad part of that was, nevermind my phone is about to die.:mad:
McClowry was a great player. Baseball too. If that game was on turf instead of in the slop it may have gone different. MC took advantage of Rita’s DBs with heavy muddy shoes and threw more that game then they have all year.

Reactions: RockSoup
Great post! I think this list is pretty accurate, but apologies if some were missed. MC has Boyle, Chirillo, Daigler, Deacy, Dowling, Doyle, Frangella, Fleck, Furlong, McCool, Medina, Novickas!, O'Brien and Regan.

Hoping for a game where both teams play their best, there are no serious injuries...and MC wins!
Bobby Sanders/Bobby Medina

Reactions: PJD1970
". . . . for getting my bag back last year . . . " LOL! That's all it took! It's a great story!
Not only that, I mean I love that Swagger cheers for us but a returned bag, maybe some donuts and coffee and MS4 is like all first name basis Toddin’ me. I mean here I am nearly 50 years watching St. Rita, at almost 250 games, sears toughskin-husky wearing bowl haircut kid carrying Zavagnin, Duffy, Craig, Bayers etc helmets, 2 kids through the program and I can’t even call Coach Kuska, Todd. I mean @MS4EVER , did you put your feet up on his desk when you and Coach Kuska shared some coffee and conversation 😂

Not only that, I mean I love that Swagger cheers for us but a returned bag, maybe some donuts and coffee and MS4 is like all first name basis Toddin’ me. I mean here I am nearly 50 years watching St. Rita, at almost 250 games, sears toughskin-husky wearing bowl haircut kid carrying Zavagnin, Duffy, Craig, Bayers etc helmets, 2 kids through the program and I can’t even call Coach Kuska, Todd. I mean @MS4EVER , did you put your feet up on his desk when you and Coach Kuska shared some coffee and conversation 😂
You put in the damn time and MS4EVER loses a damn bag, one would expect the opposite! LOL.

Regardless of any outcomes, Cascia should honor MS4EVER whether it be in the head coach's office because he's actually been there!! Or next year honor him during Week 1 when Rita plays against a suburban public school opponent.

I love the fact that some of the real good posters on here root for Rita, like MS4EVER, GENE! Eireog and the iconic MWittman (not saying he's choosing a side in this game, but I know he's a true Rita fan).

Last edited:
Reactions: eireog and RockSoup
You put in the damn time and MS4EVER loses a damn bag, one would expect the opposite! LOL.

Regardless of any outcomes, Cascia should honor MS4EVER whether it be in the head coach's office because he's actually been there!! Or next year honor him during Week 1 when Rita plays against a suburban public school opponent.

I love the fact that some of the real good posters on here root for Rita, like MS4EVER, GENE! and the iconic MWittman (not saying he's choosing a side in this game, but I know he's a true Rita fan).
What am I chopped liver? JK.. I’ll be rooting from the warmth of my family room tomorrow. Go Rita Go!!

I don’t want to upset you more Rock, but he actually invited me to his HOUSE to pick up the bag! Yeah we’re pretty much best friends now!

I don’t want to upset you more Rock, but he actually invited me to his HOUSE to pick up the bag! Yeah we’re pretty much best friends now!
That's awesome! He's up against it tomorrow but man did he take this program on an incredible ride and leaving it in great shape going forward. Just lucky to have someone like him around for so long

Too late ... we won't want you. Dance with the girl ya brung.
Is there room for me?

I always cheer for the conference rep if St. Rita isn’t in it, especially a program I respect like Mount Carmel.

If my beloved Mustangs cannot pull off the near impossible today with what I know will be her most valiant effort, I was going to cheer for Mount Carmel vs the Bears of Lake Zurich or the Bulldogs of Batavia.

Classic RockSoup! Good luck today.

And the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have a bye week this week…….nice

If you look at the tape @ the 1:48 mark Jordan Lynch is stopped at the goal line on 4th down by #44 and #2 with the assist. #44 is Marty Hopkins the new incoming coach at St. Rita. #2 is Dave Marciano who was a teammate of Jordan Lynch at St. Christina. WCIU broadcasted this game as their Game of the Week. The Daily Southtown did a multi page supplement in their newspaper for this game. There was a TV interview if I remember right about how 4 or 5 kids were on each team who played together at St. Christina.

I'm sure the Marty Hopkins might remind Jordan Lynch about that tackle at one of the CCL/ESCC coaches meetings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT