ADVERTISEMENT

MC at Willowbrook...

feeto

Aug 23, 2007
I don't know anything about Willowbrook. Can anyone shed some light. Star players??? Type of offense??? Interesting team factoids???

I saw them v York. Not big but fast. QB is elusive and tough as nails. Defense is very aggressive but vulnerable to big plays. Kicking game is average. Their PATs are kicked by a girl but she can hold her own. She is accurate but no distance if it comes down to that

Reactions: sivada2001
Not that MC needs it. no question long time Opponent PC called and offered up their research, game plan, and breakdowns of pre and post game with Willowbrook.

I remember playing them in 2016 and thought they would be in this situation (semis) soon. They were a hard nose bunch and their fans were outstanding. Some talked a little trash but it was all in fun. The staff/ administration was super nice and hospitable.

how will the WB defense do against Lynch, Odeluga, Livermore and CO? Does Tumilty play both ways
He does which is why I like him for POY. You don't really ever see 7A or 8A kids playing QB and defense. I like the WB DBs but I worry about Lynch having to much time in the pocket. MC has a huge edge in the kicking game.

Like these polls or not, MaxPreps has MC ranked No. 1 in 7A and WB at No. 6, just below GBN at No. 5, even with its 7-4 record. Michael O'Brien's Super 25 has MC at No. 2 and WB at No. 9. Massey's line is MC - 12.5.

On Hudl, WB has its videos blacked out. But even without the tape, we know that Sam Tumilty is a dynamic, two-way player. MC, on the other hand, is a dynamic, two-way team. Which is to say that it has multiple weapons on both sides of the ball. If the offense doesn't beat you, then the defense will. If both are clicking and in sync, then they can beat anyone.

Last edited:
Tumilty is as tough as they come. His play reminds me more of Jordan Lynch then Justin with his play style at this point in his game.

Listen, MC is the clear favorite based upon everything you take into consideration when trying to predict these things. They are undefeated, they survived a brutal regular schedule which saw 7 of the 9 teams they make the playoffs, 4 advancing to the quarterfinals and 2 are still in the semi. Providence was the only team WB played in the regular season that made the playoffs, and they lost to them. Advantage MC.

QB- Even. Both players having special seasons. Justin may be the more polished QB, but Tumilty is a senior, at 5’9 this is probably his last season playing QB, he’s gonna leave it all on the field! Seems like the kinda of player that you don’t want to see with the ball in his hands if your an opponent late in the game. Justin Lynch has just been outstanding this year. As a junior who is constantly being compared to his brother, he’s been a rock, nothing bothers him.

RB- MC.....Odeluga....huge advantage. In the day of the fast RB who flys around the edge, Odeluga is a old school guy who will bust up the middle, lower his shoulder and hurt you when you try to tackle him. Should go over 1,000 on the season this weekend and he missed 2 games. Does WB have a RB?

WR- Even- Slight edge maybe to WB, but welcome to the new MC offense. They pass! And they spread it out well so you can’t key on one guy. Seems like WB has some legit threats though.

OL- MC- Lawless Winner Jalen Grant (290) leads the way with Krahn (290), Jamison (240), Palamado (280), and Brady (250). Couple of injuries this year has caused some mix and matches but this group has came together the last 5 weeks and have Geled and are just mean.

Defense- I don’t much about WB, so I’ll just say this MC defense is nasty. They fly to the ball. Grant is as mean as they get on the DL. Mario Davis, a two year starter on the DL is having s great season and doesn’t get enough props. LB’s Lance Swain (Catholic League Defensive player of the Year) and Austin Haygood, each have over 100 tackles and rarely miss. Odeluga still a huge factor on D. DBs Ben Perry (9 INTs) and Marty O’Brien (7 INTs) fly to the ball. They do get over aggressive and get a lot of yellow flags thrown on them and seem to give up a big play a game. WB fans I’m happy to hear what your D looks like.

Special Teams- Julian Patino is one of the best kickers in the State and is only a junior as well. 95% of his kick offs are touch backs. Has made a 49 yrd FG. Tony Livermore is an outstanding return man.

So there you go MC and WB fans, I think that’s a pretty fair and accurate break down and you know what it means? NOTHING!!! Go back and read the pre threads on SCN and MC last year. MC was the heavy favorite. Every paper and prediction wire made MC double digit favorites....even our own @EdgyTim didn't give it more then one sentence just saying “This is the only game I feel confident predicting this weekend”. But everyone kept saying “They do have Tyler Nubin though....” They sure did! Scored every TD for them and MC lost. Lot of things factored into that game, weather, injuries, bad luck, but MC was the heavy favorite, on the road, and lost, so I’m not counting anyone out.....and I’m sure all the MC players who were on the field last year aren’t either.

I’m excited, will be a great game!!! Sunny sky’s predicted!!!

MC has not had much offense all year ----defense has won their games.
Are we watching the same football team? MC averages over 28 points a game this year, and that’s playing through a ruthless schedule.

Odeluga is going to rush for over 1,000 yards and Lynch has been an outstanding QB.

I’m not discounting how great their defense has been, but to call MC a one dimensional football team is plain ignorant to the reality of what’s taken place on the field all season.

Compared to his brother Jordan, Justin looks more like an altar boy than a football player. But he has been a magician at quarterback this season, unusually adept at making something happen out of nothing. He's not a bruising runner like Odeluga, but he can dodge and dart through holes and his situational awareness is phenomenal. As a passer, he is a Houdini, an escape artist good at avoiding sacks and then running around in the backfield, always keeping his eyes downfield, waiting for someone to get open. For example, in the Phillips game, after outrunning a posse of pursuers, he heaved a 50-yard bomb down the sideline to an open receiver. When he did the same thing in an earlier game against Maine South, one of the Maine South announcers said that he looked like Aaron Rogers.

Last edited:
Compared to his brother Jordan, Justin looks more like an altar boy than a football player. But he has been a magician at quarterback this season, unusually adept at making something happen out of nothing. He's not a bruising runner like Odeluga, but he can dodge and dart through holes and his situational awareness is phenomenal. As a passer, he is a Houdini, an escape artist good at avoiding sacks and then running around in the backfield, always keeping his eyes downfield, waiting for someone to get open. For example, in the Phillips game, after outrunning a posse of pursuers, he heaved a 50-yard bomb down the sideline to an open receiver. When he did the same thing in an earlier game against Maine South, one of the Maine South announcers said that he looked like Aaron Rogers.

Justin Lynch is a better high school QB than Jordan. There, I said it. Jordan had a way better and bigger body than Justin, but as far as QB skills, Justin is better. I can't wait to see this kid next year after another full year of growing and hitting the weight room. If he grows a couple more inches and puts on 15 - 20 lbs, the sky's the limit.

Justin Lynch is a better high school QB than Jordan. There, I said it. Jordan had a way better and bigger body than Justin, but as far as QB skills, Justin is better. I can't wait to see this kid next year after another full year of growing and hitting the weight room. If he grows a couple more inches and puts on 15 - 20 lbs, the sky's the limit.
I wonder how he would be if he was caged up in veer offense. We wouldn’t be 12-0 if we still ran the veer. This offense is perfect for him and all involved. Still running plenty but the receivers are now part of the game, not just blockers and decoys. Receivers actually want to come and are staying now. There are a couple WR that are heavily involved in MC offense now that I personally think would have left had we been running the veer.

I wonder how he would be if he was caged up in veer offense. We wouldn’t be 12-0 if we still ran the veer. This offense is perfect for him and all involved. Still running plenty but the receivers are now part of the game, not just blockers and decoys. Receivers actually want to come and are staying now. There are a couple WR that are heavily involved in MC offense now that I personally think would have left had we been running the veer.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think MC would have lost to if still running the veer?

Just out of curiosity, who do you think MC would have lost to if still running the veer?
Holecek and Badke had the veer figured out pretty good and I think there defensive fronts would have had success with it this year. Marist with Bohanek and their aggressive front 7 would have been interesting to see, as well as Maine South. Glenbard North had a nasty front 7, and that 7O defense of Phillips would have been a SOB to run the veer against.

I’m guessing 7-2 and wouldn’t be in the semi finals. Lenti’s last 4 years at MC he was 5-4, 7-2, 4-5 and 6-3. 1-3 against LA, BR and SR. I’m guessing that would have continued outside of not playing SR. Our defense was better this year though then years past though.

Holecek and Badke had the veer figured out pretty good and I think there defensive fronts would have had success with it this year. Marist with Bohanek and their aggressive front 7 would have been interesting to see, as well as Maine South. Glenbard North had a nasty front 7, and that 7O defense of Phillips would have been a SOB to run the veer against.

I’m guessing 7-2 and wouldn’t be in the semi finals. Lenti’s last 4 years at MC he was 5-4, 7-2, 4-5 and 6-3. 1-3 against LA, BR and SR. I’m guessing that would have continued outside of not playing SR. Our defense was better this year though then years past though.

Hiring Lynch helped against ESL the second year. The new offense kept the defense off balance.

Would have lost at Marmion in the slop running it. Also, no way are they able to go no huddle vs LA and get in FG position.

This is great feedback and analysis from Caravan supporters.

Reactions: McCaravan
I really believe MC would have lost to GBN in the second round this year had we still been using the old offense. Their D line was too big and too talented for it to have been successful.

Also believe MC would have lost to ESL last year in the playoffs.

During Lenti’s last 4 years there was a lot going on behind the scenes (which I’m guessing you’ve heard about), not to mention the slew of transfers to IMG n Phillips.

My point is, did teams “figure” out the veer, or did MC simply just lack the horses? Against rice for instance, for two years MC had no one who could cover Ricky Smalling, so the losses had less to do with actual coaching...Just my 2 cents

Reactions: Blue Ruin
no question long time Opponent PC called and offered up their research,

Maybe not. PC had to forfeit last year's game when it declined to travel to MC just after the jury had reached a verdict in the Van Dyke case. PC was miffed at Carmel for not agreeing to play the game at a neutral site.

Reactions: Eringobragh
Maybe not. PC had to forfeit last year's game when it declined to travel to MC just after the jury had reached a verdict in the Van Dyke case. PC was miffed at Carmel for not agreeing to play the game at a neutral site.

Why should we have moved to a neutral site? To satisfy a bunch of racists who went nuts on a facebook page? There was no reason for anyone to be intimidated except by Providence parents still living in the 60s. To hell with them. I'm glad we don't hear from the PC Dad guy (who was an MC alum). He took the time to malign Mt Carmel and its community on this page. Good bye to him!

Yes, from a moral point of view, Carmel made the right decision, which was the only possible decision. 6410 is our home. Did PC expect us to repudiate our house? To disrespect our neighbors, our neighborhood, and generations of students, both black and white, whose love for Carmel, instilled in them as freshman, will still be burning bright some 30, 40, or 50 years later. Stuck out there in the glossy suburbs, Providence has no idea of what a privilege it is to be associated with Mount Carmel.

Last edited:
Talk about an overreaction...

Reactions: Blue Ruin
I've been reading all of these ,lenti,veer,lynch, posts etc .How can anyone in their rite mind have anything but admiration. For job frank lenti did,all of the championships,total wins,helping boys getting the next level.last but not least ,keeping the enrollement up ,filled with good vibes from the Chicago community.

I dont feel i have to defend Coach Lenti. his record stands for itself. It's easy for us to decide whether or not the split back under qb veer would still be effective today. True many of the ins andouts of the option traslate into what people are doing today with the "spread."

But Coach Lenti won a lot more big games than we can count on fingers and toes. That went beyond the scheme of the splitback veer offense.

Is the point would be MC be 12-0 with Coach Lenti? I would guess yes more times than no based on his accomplishments

I've been reading all of these ,lenti,veer,lynch, posts etc .How can anyone in their rite mind have anything but admiration. For job frank lenti did,all of the championships,total wins,helping boys getting the next level.last but not least ,keeping the enrollement up ,filled with good vibes from the Chicago community.
I have nothing but respect and admiration for what Coach Frank did for Mount Carmel Football, and there is a lot you probably don’t know that lead up to him being replaced that I won’t discuss here. There was a decline in players coming to MC and huge spike in players leaving. Not just to IMG and Phillips but many other schools as well. The normal routine that MC had so much success with had ran its course and a fresh change needed to be made and it couldn’t wait 3 years, which at the time was how much longer he wanted to be there. There was no easy way to do this. I’m a Mount Carmel Fan, not only a fan of MC Football, but a fan of the school and I want to see it continue to succeed and as far as the football program, a very difficult, but right decision was made. From what I saw at Barda Dowling Stadium this season, with so many alum returning and supporting the program, I’m not alone in my thinking. GO CARAVAN!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT