ADVERTISEMENT

Marist @ Rice

ESCC Alum

Oct 29, 2015
Surprised not to see much of a thread on this game, for sure a bit overshadowed by MC-Loyola.

What's the scouting report for each side? Keys to the game? Also curious what each school's CCL Blue record looks like since the expansion, and whether this game has implications for potential relegation next year?

Surprised not to see much of a thread on this game, for sure a bit overshadowed by MC-Loyola.

What's the scouting report for each side? Keys to the game? Also curious what each school's CCL Blue record looks like since the expansion, and whether this game has implications for potential relegation next year?
Some of the BR heavy hitters on this site aren’t as active as they have been in past seasons and their is very few Marist fans on this site, always kinda been that way, so the talk about this game hasn’t been there this year.

I’m not sure if they are counting the Spring season when factoring things but they are nearly identical

BR 2019 1-2. 2021 Spring 1-2 2021 Fall 2-1 2022 0-2 so far

Marist 2019 1-2. 2021 Spring, 1-2
2021 Fall 0-3, 2022 0-2 so far

As far as the game, I know MC blew out Marist and BR gave them a tight game, but on the flip side BR got blown out by LA and Marist played them tight. I think Marist strength, which is their passing, plays into BRs defensive weaknesses which is their secondary. I’m thinking Marist by 7 but won’t put any money on it. Will be a good game I’m looking forward to streaming it.

Should be a terrific game. Marist losses all vs exceptional teams in Glenbard west, Carmel and Loyola. Think some of the interest has gone to the side with rice playoff eligible with the JCA win, Lyons catch just insane especially in that situation, and Carmel Loyola. Who will be at qb for rice interesting if brown is healthy or not. My take: can rice protect qb enough to win? Will be great game.

Should be a terrific game. Marist losses all vs exceptional teams in Glenbard west, Carmel and Loyola. Think some of the interest has gone to the side with rice playoff eligible with the JCA win, Lyons catch just insane especially in that situation, and Carmel Loyola. Who will be at qb for rice interesting if brown is healthy or not. My take: can rice protect qb enough to win? Will be great game.
#58 for Marist might give BR’s line fits. He’s a 300 pound handful that will be teammates with Pierce next year at Wisconsin. He’s a bull.

Reactions: Jenny27
#58 for Marist might give BR’s line fits. He’s a 300 pound handful that will be teammates with Pierce next year at Wisconsin. He’s a bull.
If either go to wisconsin, might end up playing against each other in big ten but ya I imagine Rice throws two at him all night long

To me this is still the pinnacle of a rivalry game. Almost every kid knows the kid across from them. Former teammates, friends and yes family often on both sides of the ball. My heart always chooses Marist above all else. This year no exception. Kin on the Skins, but love some local kids on Rice. As I said on an earlier post. I think Rice takes advantage of emotions goes up 10-0 early. Marist claws back and whoever gets the big Turnover in the second half wins the game. Marist 21 Brother Rice 17. I've been unimpressed with how Marist starts each game and very impressed at their halftime adjustments.

10-7 BR Wolniak K and Hartz both from St Cajetan playing well. QB for Marist Most Holy Redeemer also getting it done good game great crowd.

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
16-7 BR weathering the storm. Smythe having a better day punting then throwing.

Ok. Marist got the big turnover I predicted. Marist IMO more talented overall except for the QB position and game plan. Hartz is great for Rice. Marist will start to over power.

Ok. Marist got the big turnover I predicted. Marist IMO more talented overall except for the QB position and game plan. Hartz is great for Rice. Marist will start to over power.
He hasn’t been great at all in the second half....

Last edited:
BR ran out of gas on defense mid way through the 3rd Q. Their Oline too. Pierce is obviously no where near playing condition on that ankle.

Last edited:
With Naperville North and York in round 2, Marist would have had a better bracket if they lost

The pick 6 for Marist was a killer - but hey kudos to Marist they didn't quit.

The pick 6 for Marist was a killer - but hey kudos to Marist they didn't quit.
Definitely props to RedHawk for hanging in there when it seemed it might not be their night - even though it appeared they were the better team.

If I recall correctly, BR was up 16-7 mid 3Q and blocked a FG and then had ball at midfield. I’m thinking “score here and game over”. Not so much…a Marist stop, big punt down to the BR 1 and a couple turnovers and it’s 27-16 before you know it.

More concerning for BR is the 4-5 kids that needed assistance off the field in the 4Q and never returned. And they weren’t cramps. Crusaders might be limping into Algonquin next week. Not too optimistic if they’re without a couple of those players.

Definitely props to RedHawk for hanging in there when it seemed it might not be their night - even though it appeared they were the better team.

If I recall correctly, BR was up 16-7 mid 3Q and blocked a FG and then had ball at midfield. I’m thinking “score here and game over”. Not so much…a Marist stop, big punt down to the BR 1 and a couple turnovers and it’s 27-16 before you know it.

More concerning for BR is the 4-5 kids that needed assistance off the field in the 4Q and never returned. And they weren’t cramps. Crusaders might be limping into Algonquin next week. Not too optimistic if they’re without a couple of those players.
I believe (not confirmed) TE Gorman out with broken collarbone (shame kid has had a great year and his parents are top notch) - whips any other updates?

I believe (not confirmed) TE Gorman out with broken collarbone (shame kid has had a great year and his parents are top notch) - whips any other updates?
Pierce is obviously attempting to play through a ton of pain in his ankle but he limped off at least three times, and then didn’t return, I can’t see him being ready or anywhere near 100%. Him at 50% is better then a lot of players at 100% but there is only so much he can do and Jacobs will see that on the film.

Pierce is obviously attempting to play through a ton of pain in his ankle but he limped off at least three times, and then didn’t return, I can’t see him being ready or anywhere near 100%. Him at 50% is better then a lot of players at 100% but there is only so much he can do and Jacobs will see that on the film.
And his younger bro (LB #11) was on crutches after game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT