ADVERTISEMENT

Maine South-Lincoln Way East prediction thread.......

East played with a lot of poise, especially early in the game when Scianna (N/S) and Henning (E/W) were not getting the yardage to move the chains. Concerning the latter, it is risky to run him much between the tackles, but sending him downhill some seems advisable. No offensive panic while the defense and special teams did their things (even though 2 kick-offs uncharacteristically went out-of-bounds). As stated in another post, the LWE CBs came up big the several times MS took their shots to the deep and outside. MS #41 was able to turn the corner on his jet sweep carries, but not for big gains. Multiple East defenders closing out of nowhere on the open receiver steps from the endzone at the end of the half was HUGE. Finally, East QB gutting out some tough yards in the 2nd half despite a slowing injury was impressive. Feel free to add to these observations.

It will be an interesting title game. Not sure who I’m picking yet but here are a few thoughts. East defense is great. The only way to beat them is to pick on their secondary which can be done. LA is hurting at RB which will only help the LWE defense more. LA QB is very athletic but how many times can you take a hit from that dline and live to tell about it. LWE specials are special. On the other side the LA defense is great as usual too and the LWE offense is feast or famine. Meaning if the QB can’t run(hurt ankle) they can’t move the ball much. LWE has burners at the WR position but I expect LA to get a lot of pressure on him. Again that ankle needs to heal quickly for East to have a chance. East kicker is outstanding so I guess the question for me deciding the game is how good is the LA kicker?

The gentleman from the north shore has spoken,

You must be a politician because only a politician can hijack a thread about one set of teams and make it about the persecution of another.

For the record, I was not the one in this thread who took the first shots. You piped in about the CCL. MC63 brought up my rant about hosting that was in a different thread. Until then, I was silent in this thread.

Persecution of another? Again, I named more than one team that was impacted by IHSA playoff hosting policy that allows lower seeded teams to host games against teams with better seeds. Probably an oversight that you fail to acknowledge that point and a coincidence that doing so would weaken your narrative.

Looking forward to Saturday's game. If there had been one more round before this title game, and due to the goofy IHSA playoff hosting rules, LA would be hosting the game in Wilmette despite LWE's #1 seed. Of course, you would have been fine with that and not given it a second thought. Should any other LWE poster have complained about it, I'm sure you would have spoken up immediately and vehemently defended LA's right to host that game as the underdog with fewer hosted games than LWE. :rolleyes:

May the best team win on Saturday.

For the record, I was not the one in this thread who took the first shots. You piped in about the CCL. MC63 brought up my rant about hosting that was in a different thread. Until then, I was silent in this thread.

Persecution of another? Again, I named more than one team that was impacted by IHSA playoff hosting policy that allows lower seeded teams to host games against teams with better seeds. Probably an oversight that you fail to acknowledge that point and a coincidence that doing so would weaken your narrative.

Looking forward to Saturday's game. If there had been one more round before this title game, and due to the goofy IHSA playoff hosting rules, LA would be hosting the game in Wilmette despite LWE's #1 seed. Of course, you would have been fine with that and not given it a second thought. Should any other LWE poster have complained about it, I'm sure you would have spoken up immediately and vehemently defended LA's right to host that game as the underdog with fewer hosted games than LWE. :rolleyes:

Good luck rablinman. Should be a great game!

My inclusion of CCL teams was in response to a question about why the game didn’t generate more interest. It is a fact that CCL team threads generate significantly more interest on this board.

Just about every higher seeded team has to play on the road at some time during the playoffs. I agree there is a scenario where a higher seeded team may play all of their games at home but it rarely happens.

So Loyola isn’t the Lone Ranger on that score but you complained about it.

I did not say a word about LWE having to play at St Charles North. You play who and where you have to to win a championship.

Reactions: PRokie
To our refs out there I have a question. I feel the turning point in the game in terms of momentum was the blocked field goal attempt in the early minutes. It resulted in a 10 point swing and LWE was playing downhill for the remainder of the game. If you notice from the endzone shot, during the attempt, the LWE right dtackle #97 did not rush. Rather he grabbed the MS left Otackle #76 by the arms, pulled him off of the line of scrimmage, creating a huge running lane for the player who blocked the football. It was great design and execution by LWE. Is that an allowable play in IHSA football?

To our refs out there I have a question. I feel the turning point in the game in terms of momentum was the blocked field goal attempt in the early minutes. It resulted in a 10 point swing and LWE was playing downhill for the remainder of the game. If you notice from the endzone shot, during the attempt, the LWE right dtackle #97 did not rush. Rather he grabbed the MS left Otackle #76 by the arms, pulled him off of the line of scrimmage, creating a huge running lane for the player who blocked the football. It was great design and execution by LWE. Is that an allowable play in IHSA football?

Not legal, but also very hard to cover with 5 officials. The only guy who might have even close to a good look at is is the umpire and he's looking a the snapper and more of the interior line. Thats a tough get in a 5man crew

Good catch G... it would almost never be called.

My question would be, was it designed and taught that way?

Either way, the game is over, however it’s safe to believe it was taught in order to take advantage of the fact that the official answer would be that there are only 5 officials and we wouldn’t see it.

Last edited:
My inclusion of CCL teams was in response to a question about why the game didn’t generate more interest. It is a fact that CCL team threads generate significantly more interest on this board.

Just about every higher seeded team has to play on the road at some time during the playoffs. I agree there is a scenario where a higher seeded team may play all of their games at home but it rarely happens.

I did not say a word about LWE having to play at St Charles North. You play who and where you have to to win a championship.
I’m still waiting for RambleOn’s cheese to go with his whine. I’m surprised he hasn’t bitched anout playing this week on the road, and I’m willing to bet some Three Floyd’s Zombie Dust he didn’t attend their game Saturday in E’ville.

While I have tremendous respect for MW,(“hey now”) Bowie and others...

RambleOn should change his name to SnapOn.

Never said Loyola was the Lone ranger in that regard. Rather, I complained about the POLICY in general and used Loyola and Naz as EXAMPLES.

Doesn't make the policy any less wrong. Yes, LWE played SCN in St. Charles in round 2. I have to wonder if you would have not said a word if LWE had to play a semi final game on the road against a school with a worse seed (after also playing a quarterfinal game on the road). You can claim otherwise, but we'll never really know for sure.

Not legal, but also very hard to cover with 5 officials. The only guy who might have even close to a good look at is is the umpire and he's looking a the snapper and more of the interior line. Thats a tough get in a 5man crew

Is Defensive holding the correct call?

Is it 10 yard penalty or 5 yard one?

I’ve seen it called in college/Pro but mainly in obvious long yardage passing downs and it’s pretty rare at that. I would rather the refs look at the snapper to protect him on the special team plays and for chop blocks on defense while they looking for holding and illegal man downfield on the offensive side.

Is Defensive holding the correct call?

Is it 10 yard penalty or 5 yard one?

I’ve seen it called in college/Pro but mainly in obvious long yardage passing downs and it’s pretty rare at that. I would rather the refs look at the snapper to protect him on the special team plays and for chop blocks on defense while they looking for holding and illegal man downfield on the offensive side.

Correct D holding-10yds. There just arent enough eyes to catch that with 5 man mechanics unless it happens to the side of the field where the line judge/linesman is on the sideline, and even then not a very good angle for that

Does it matter?

Let me start by saying LWE was deserving of the W and played lights out. I also am in agreement with the assignment of Chief and the refs who need to keep tabs on the lineman and are protecting the long snapper ( as they should ). I believe in terms of changing the score or the outcome of the game, of course it does not matter. At the time though, it may have mattered. MS would have gotten a first down to continue their drive. At best for them, a potential TD and at worst a closer field goal attempt. Not to mention LWE doesn't get the 7 points. Momentum is a weird thing. Once you lose it it may not come back.

Reactions: Gene K.
Totally agree G.

Now that we know it would most likely go un-noticed, I wonder if it will be part of next weeks pre-game? I’ll guarantee you LA staff will see it

I’m pretty sure it was planned for that very reason, and would guess it was celebrated as a great idea. Most of us may never know if it was part of a plan that suggests “hey—- if we get caught, well.... but if we don’t, look at what happens. Probably even practiced I would guess... but who knows

if you watch the replay or watch it on hudl, it’s beyond obvious.

Right or wrong...What’s done is done.

Good luck to all

Last edited:
Gforce and Prokie - My comment is what I believe to be accurate is that it was the fifth or sixth play of the game. A momentum swing for sure just as the fumble that preceded the series of three plays and an attempt from the right hash for a 49 yard FG could have been. I was surprised to also see a few calls that were both made and not made by a stellar referee crew that were very late in drawing flags when called. This was a great game that was decided on the field by the young men. I can take the other view that I believe this particular play was not coached. It is difficult enough to find officials for youth sports of all kinds today especially football. I also believe the game was called fairly enough that the officials did not dictate the outcome. Any pointers you may have moving on to play Loyola would be appreciated as well.

WIU you are correct on all accords, and I will concur that the crew was less than Stellar. LW made the plays and the spoils go to the victor.

However..

Watch that play again and tell me it wasn’t planned or coached. I trust you’re honest enough.

My heart hopes that it wasn’t.... my eyes tell me it was.

Either way. It is what it is.

Last edited:
WIU you are correct on all accords, and I will concur that the crew was less than Stellar. LW made the plays and the spoils go to the victor.

However..

Watch that play again and tell me it wasn’t planned or coached. I trust you’re honest enough.

Either way. It is what it is.[/QUOTE
Gforce and Prokie - My comment is what I believe to be accurate is that it was the fifth or sixth play of the game. A momentum swing for sure just as the fumble that preceded the series of three plays and an attempt from the right hash for a 49 yard FG could have been. I was surprised to also see a few calls that were both made and not made by a stellar referee crew that were very late in drawing flags when called. This was a great game that was decided on the field by the young men. I can take the other view that I believe this particular play was not coached. It is difficult enough to find officials for youth sports of all kinds today especially football. I also believe the game was called fairly enough that the officials did not dictate the outcome. Any pointers you may have moving on to play Loyola would be appreciated as well.

Agreed that the outcome was decided by the play on the field and not the refs. I have a lot of respect with Chiefs many previous posts to respect his explanation from a refs perspective. It’s to bad for MS it was not called. As far as if the play was coached, who the heck knows. Coaches look for any edge they can get so being skeptical, it would not surprise me. Hopefully things like that will be more closely monitored this Saturday for all the classes.

However..

Either way. It is what it is.
It won’t change your opinion either way what I believe..and it shouldn’t after seeing the play. That is why there are message boards. We could go back and forth on calls made, not made on any particular game, including this one until the cows come home...which is only another 3 miles south of Frankfort by the way. I do think we have a good rivalry started with MS, not the proportions of the lovefest you all have with Loyola but we are trying.

Agreed... only the kids and coaches know for sure..

That being said, LWE is certainly proving to be a formidable rival for sure! Quite frankly I don’t believe the Fine Folks of Frankfort are the kind of people that would incite the type of love we Swagger fans have for Hollywood.

I hope all of those traveling to DeKalb get home safe, and all the boys stay healthy.

Good Luck on Saturday Beast.

He used to be one of the posters I respected, but that's changed. I don't dislike him ... if he and I could have a spoken conversation (versus one that's keyboard -based), I think he could make his points without the snarky age comments. If I'm not aging, I'm pushing up artificial turf. Why make age an issue unless that's the best you can do creatively?

LTHS - you never responded to my question regarding which LT high school you attended. Some guys confused you with LHSsomebody.
I'm sorry. I didn't know you asked me that question before. I don't get to read everything here. Working lots of hours now.

I graduated from Lockport in 1976. I never played at the current stadium. We were the last ones to play at Briggs and Garfield. I liked that place much more anyway. The fans were much closer to the field and it really had a great atmosphere. I never cared much for the new place which is 40 years old now. Lol. But the parking is much better at the new place and it is easier to get around.

I can't say I support the team. It has been years since I've attended a game. I followed closely from about 1999 to 2009 or so. I went to several games in that period too. Lockport had some good teams back then and that created my interest. Now, things have been so bad I don't feel like I want to spend time watching them. I can't understand how you can have an enrollment approaching 4000 kids but can't seem to win more football games than you lose.

Back when I attended, Lockport was known as a basketball school and we had some real good teams. The 1977-78 team went undefeated at 33-0. I was gone but went to some of those games.

Right now, about 80% of the information I have concerning HS football comes from this board, which I found by accident. The other 20% comes from the local newspaper.

Sorry I am going on and on, but don't worry about being older. I just lost a very good friend at 59 from a heart attack. Total shock still. The guy worked out all the time and had a very good diet. You just never know.

Reactions: USD24
I'm sorry. I didn't know you asked me that question before. I don't get to read everything here. Working lots of hours now.

I graduated from Lockport in 1976. I never played at the current stadium. We were the last ones to play at Briggs and Garfield. I liked that place much more anyway. The fans were much closer to the field and it really had a great atmosphere. I never cared much for the new place which is 40 years old now. Lol. But the parking is much better at the new place and it is easier to get around.

I can't say I support the team. It has been years since I've attended a game. I followed closely from about 1999 to 2009 or so. I went to several games in that period too. Lockport had some good teams back then and that created my interest. Now, things have been so bad I don't feel like I want to spend time watching them. I can't understand how you can have an enrollment approaching 4000 kids but can't seem to win more football games than you lose.

Back when I attended, Lockport was known as a basketball school and we had some real good teams. The 1977-78 team went undefeated at 33-0. I was gone but went to some of those games.

Right now, about 80% of the information I have concerning HS football comes from this board, which I found by accident. The other 20% comes from the local newspaper.

Sorry I am going on and on, but don't worry about being older. I just lost a very good friend at 59 from a heart attack. Total shock still. The guy worked out all the time and had a very good diet. You just never know.
Sorry for your loss LTHSALUM76. :-(

Sorry for your Loss LT.....

Unfortunately tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us, and we ALL need to be grateful for what’s good in our lives. The fact that we have the luxury to get all snippy and uppity over high school football Should tell us exactly how blessed we are.

Unless you’re a higher seed on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50

Sorry to hear about your friend. It's very, very tough and i hope you find peace and strength.

My HS class had about 170 boys, and we lost about 40 so far (that we know of). Johnson and Nixon took three of them; Lucky Strikes and Camels took their toll, as well.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Sorry to hear about your friend. It's very, very tough and i hope you find peace and strength.

My HS class had about 170 boys, and we lost about 40 so far (that we know of). Johnson and Nixon took three of them; Lucky Strikes and Camels took their toll, as well.
I never could understand why anyone would smoke. Especially now. All of the information we have had for decades and the direct link to cancer, not to mention higher insurance rates, the incredible stink, high financial cost and people still smoke. Filthy habit.

I could see people smoking decades ago before this information was out there. That was then. Like most kids, I tried to smoke a cigarette when I was in 7th grade and it made me sick. That's was when I figured I would probably do enough stupid things in my life but smoking wouldn't be one of them. My dad quit smoking in 1968. He says he probably would have died years ago if he didn't.

I am not saying it should be outlawed. But it wouldn't bother me if it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT