ADVERTISEMENT

Maine South-Lincoln Way East prediction thread.......

MWittman

Nov 22, 2004
I am surprised this re-match has not generated more interest.

Despite the Griffins earning a two-point victory in week two, I am taking Maine South in the semi-final. We've seen this scenario before and I would never bet against Inserra in a re-match.

Reactions: Bowie50 and PRokie
Thanks for the Vote MW!! We will most certainly have to play better than we did for most of the game Saturday. We came back and got it together late, but we can’t take that chance with the Beast.

I hope this one meets expectations of the epic game it should be...I’m already nervous!

Sorry my LWE friends but you are going to get destroyed. You have shown you can stop the MS runningback but not the passing. If Ican recognize that, believe me, the MS coaches recognized it weeks ago. This one will not even be close. MS 42- LWE

Sorry my LWE friends but you are going to get destroyed. You have shown you can stop the MS runningback but not the passing. If Ican recognize that, believe me, the MS coaches recognized it weeks ago. This one will not even be close. MS 42- LWE
Destroyed? In Frankfort? Not likely. Zvonar is no slouch. I expect he will make some necessary adjustments as well. I'm guessing this game will be close, like the first one.

Reactions: FalconPadre
Wish I could agree with you. It will be close because the Beast has the best dline in the state and a QB who just makes plays. The weather shouldn’t be a factor so that is a plus. So here’s my prediction.
If MS can’t stop Morrissey then they can’t win. If LWE can’t stop Fotis then they can’t win. Should be a typical MS-LWE showdown.
MS 31
LWE 28

Destroyed? In Frankfort? Not likely. Zvonar is no slouch. I expect he will make some necessary adjustments as well. I'm guessing this game will be close, like the first one.

The team that loses the first match always has the edge second time around. LWE has already stopped the RB. What adjustments are they going to make? Yes, Zvonar is no slouch but MS I believe will be more than ready this time around by spreading the ball around. Sorry, this one is not close.

The team that loses the first match always has the edge second time around. LWE has already stopped the RB. What adjustments are they going to make? Yes, Zvonar is no slouch but MS I believe will be more than ready this time around by spreading the ball around. Sorry, this one is not close.

I agree. Hawks win by 2 touchdowns.

I have huge respect for both schools and their communities. Candidly, I have Maine South by a couple scores (hard to beat a team twice in the same season) in this one and then beating LA in Dekalb, unfortunately. Both LWE and MS are terrific programs, but the Hawks always soar to the occasion. But what do I know?

Might be something magical or destiny going on down in Frankfort this season. I know it’s tough to be a great team twice in the same season - but it’s at home and maybe some destiny happening this year for the Beast? I will go LWE 31 MS 28 in one Overtime.

Destroyed? In Frankfort? Not likely. Zvonar is no slouch.

pjjp:

Agreed.

Zvonar is no slouch in the least, which is why this game was so difficult for me to to predict in favor of the Hawks. A man who personally orchestrated the development of a football program from the ground up, Zvonar has never experienced a losing season. This is an extraordinary feat.

Having been a visitor to three games at LWE and witnessed the Griffins play on television twice, a key feature of their play is a physical defense.

However, even in consideration of their defense and the fact LWE defeated six teams with winning records in the regular season and four teams which eventually won ten or more games, MS has the mental edge in this re-match.

I envision triple overtime before I could ever perceive a blowout.

They are not CCL Teams

And before anyone asks, I don't get involved with predicting what teenagers are going to do.
Well said LWD!
Win or lose I hope everyone comes home safe.
It will be a barn burner for sure!

Interesting game I’ll take MS since I always feel the team that lost the first game has the advantage in the rematch.

The other thing is LWE tends to play more conservative in the playoffs and rely on their defense but in order to win they are going to need to take chances on 4th down rather then settle for FGs or try to punt and pin them back. MS is willing to take more chances and I feel this is what you have to do to win in the playoffs.

Last random thought the magic number is 23 if the winning team scores under this number it’s LWE but it’s over it will be MS.

Interesting game I’ll take MS since I always feel the team that lost the first game has the advantage in the rematch.

The other thing is LWE tends to play more conservative in the playoffs and rely on their defense but in order to win they are going to need to take chances on 4th down rather then settle for FGs or try to punt and pin them back. MS is willing to take more chances and I feel this is what you have to do to win in the playoffs.

Last random thought the magic number is 23 if the winning team scores under this number it’s LWE but it’s over it will be MS.

I think your post is spot on. Although it's a huge game, the play calling needs to be like a regular season game. I don't know how much LWE can adapt in a semi game.

LWeastDad:

This could be one reason, but I tend to believe this game has MS and LWE posters a bit hesitant to either start or engage in any kind of conversation.

Too bad they aren’t trying to emulate the Sterling/Phillips back and forth banter!

Are you kidding me! I just read in Edgys strengths post that LWE has brothers named Gus and John! No wonder their D is so good!!! Nightmares I tell you.

Are you kidding me! I just read in Edgys strengths post that LWE has brothers named Gus and John! No wonder their D is so good!!! Nightmares I tell you.

Yes but they don’t have those 6’3 cornerbacks that led the state in interceptions

Reactions: MS4EVER
Thanks MC, but I don't think Ramblin would agree...

Just goes to show you that one man's treasure is another man's garbage.

I would hardly call the shots you are taking at the CCL posters and Bowie50 in this thread to be a calming influence.

MC63 has been known to take his shots as well. He's one of the last posters I would describe as a calming influence.

Out of respect for the Hawks and Griffins this short by most standards rivalry has LWE holding a 3-2 edge since LWE opened in 2001. If nothing else they are always good games and 2005 in Champaign was as good as it gets. Interesting Loyola and LWE have never met even with the Holicek Chicago Heights connection. Another fun fact is most years this would be an Edwardsville sighting for the Griffins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT