ADVERTISEMENT

Maine South Article

redmen85

Dec 17, 2014
The Daily Herald published an article today about the MS recruiting situation.
Interesting ….

A program with a history that is checkered with both success and scandal-when the term Workplace harassment “ is involved, there seems to be a little more to the story than meets the eye.

what I don't get is.. they have all those non-contiguous parts of their attendance area in Harwood Heights that were not there when I was at Maine East. Those are apartments when you can rent and easily establish residency (if you have a few $$ or some "help") - why do something against the rules that could get you in trouble.

Also, makes me wonder what the Charlie Bliss situation is -- especially given MS history - Quitman Sullens coached a state championship basketball team in 1979, but guessing his name is not really spoken aloud much given his issues after leaving MS.

Last edited:
Reactions: mullin17
Hasn't it been "known" that Maine South has been recruiting that area for a LONG time now?? Ask around and it doesn't take long to find someone to tell you that there has always been some blurred lines as to how they are getting their talent. I have ZERO firsthand knowledge of this not knowing their program well, but I've had many people tell me over the years that they are bending the rules in their favor.

It's a Shaw Media article. The Daily Herald and Shaw share content. So it ran in the Daily Herald. Usually it's a day later in order to keep the news cycle alive.

It's not just prep sports, but it's local community news today. So when you subscribe to both, you're paying for the same thing twice. Keep that in mind media consumers!

It's a Shaw Media article. The Daily Herald and Shaw share content. So it ran in the Daily Herald. Usually it's a day later in order to keep the news cycle alive.

It's not just prep sports, but it's local community news today. So when you subscribe to both, you're paying for the same thing twice. Keep that in mind media consumers!
I don't mind. I have Shaw for the Souc and Daily Herald for Quags57 and football focus. Also supported Michael Obrien for ST Preps. I like all three and want them to be financially able to continue. IMO everyone on this board ought to think similarly. Traditional news media has taken such a hit recently, we need to throw our support behind things we appreciate.

This is not entirely true. Not all Shaw stories are on the Herald site and nice versa.

Having written for both, the two papers do not cover all of the same teams. A few cross overs here and there.

It's not just prep sports, but it's local community news today. So when you subscribe to both, you're paying for the same thing twice. Keep that in mind media consumers
This is not entirely true. Not all Shaw stories are on the Herald site and nice versa.

Having written for both, the two papers do not cover all of the same teams. A few cross overs here and there.
Newt is correct. My golf story in Tuesday's paper did not run in NW Herald. If I knew it was going to, I would have mention golfers from their area. And its Wednesday and my story didn't run in Shaw again today either.

Hasn't it been "known" that Maine South has been recruiting that area for a LONG time now?? Ask around and it doesn't take long to find someone to tell you that there has always been some blurred lines as to how they are getting their talent. I have ZERO firsthand knowledge of this not knowing their program well, but I've had many people tell me over the years that they are bending the rules in their favor.
I've heard it for years too, but similar to other lore and gossip about New Trier's nearby 'over-subscribed' apartments and LA's legendary scholarships from 50+ zip codes and creative transit housing, I don't really believe much of it relative to the actual game of football that is played on a field. Or really material to MS performance over the years to be clear. Ex.: Fotis Kokosioulis (Fordham) moved back to PR from TX with his dad and little brother after his 8th grade season, which is a key reason we beat LA in 2016. His dad graduated with my wife in 1989 from MS. They simply came back home. That's most of PR - everyone seems to be from here. With 4 kids who've played at MS, I know most of the FB families over the last 15 yrs - either longtime or recently transferred - and can't quite get my brain to believe that my kids public school is all the different than many of the other uber-competitive, perennial-winning top-tier public schools in the major sports - or academics for others. I do agree that the newspaper (Shaw) and reporter didn't report many of the keys facts or details - rumor or not that are well-known here. Why, I don't know. Yet, I know residency and sideline activities changed / tightened since the sanctions (all good) - and we lost a great OC to LA now. I guess I see it like the IHSA was quoted...and moving on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT