ADVERTISEMENT

LT

Hinsdale Central A.D. Dan Jones was just quoted by Kevin Schmitt of the Daily Herald when asked about the coaching opening - "Right now we don't have football next year. If reinstated, we will begin to fill our open positions."

Anyone else find this terribly tragic? I know there was a thread about this, but can this seriously just be happening?

Hinsdale Central A.D. Dan Jones was just quoted by Kevin Schmitt of the Daily Herald when asked about the coaching opening - "Right now we don't have football next year. If reinstated, we will begin to fill our open positions."

Anyone else find this terribly tragic? I know there was a thread about this, but can this seriously just be happening?

It’s not tragic it’s the will of the people.

Hinsdale has plenty of money and they did a terrible job managing it and put themselves in this situation so I have a hard time feeling bad them.

It’s not tragic it’s the will of the people.

Hinsdale has plenty of money and they did a terrible job managing it and put themselves in this situation so I have a hard time feeling bad them.

I agree I feel for the kids that play football there. It’s not like this is some average program, Hinsdale is one of the better 8A schools each year in terms of fielding a good and consistent product.

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
I agree I feel for the kids that play football there. It’s not like this is some average program, Hinsdale is one of the better 8A schools each year in terms of fielding a good and consistent product.

I’m sure with time this same issue will pop up in other school districts.

I know this has probably been asked and answered, but what happens to the players if they can’t field a team. Obviously private school would be an option, and I’m guessing based on location Naz and Montini would benefit, what if they want to remain in public school? Would they be allowed to leave their zoned district and possibly follow their coach to LT?

Dan Hartman is a young coach that LT desperately needed to connect its strong feeder system to LT.

Unfortunate what is happening at Hinsdale, but LT made a great hire here and I expect great things out of him with the lions.

I know this has probably been asked and answered, but what happens to the players if they can’t field a team. Obviously private school would be an option, and I’m guessing based on location Naz and Montini would benefit, what if they want to remain in public school? Would they be allowed to leave their zoned district and possibly follow their coach to LT?

Co-op?

District 86 has a budget of $110,676,916.00 for school year 2018-19 for a district that serves 4,318 students. In other words they are spending $25,631.00 per student. I was in disbelief after seeing that number and did the math 3 times.

https://d86.hinsdale86.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=1495&dataid=4835&FileName=Hinsdale TSHD 86 - FY2019 Adopted Budget.pdf
https://d86.hinsdale86.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=2712&dataid=4189&FileName=MBA FY 2018.pdf
https://d86.hinsdale86.org/Page/350

You can see how the School Board had to take hostages in the form of the football team etc in order to attempt to pass the referendum which is seeking $140,000,000.00.

Last edited:
Great hire for LT. May take a year to get settled in, but I'd be surprised if Hartman didn't have LT back in the 8A quarters again within the next couple years. How you feeling about this one @iamthejayhawk ? He's an LT guy that had some harsh criticisms for Hartman last year :)

@LakeCtyNewt yeah it's an entirely sh** situation, but certainly not the first and unfortunately probably not the last time that the interests of young men will be crushed by the political mistakes of adults.

Unless there is some crucial information I'm missing, all available information suggests a high probability that in a little over a week Hinsdale Central and Hinsdale South will no longer have football programs.

Great hire for LT. May take a year to get settled in, but I'd be surprised if Hartman didn't have LT back in the 8A quarters again within the next couple years. How you feeling about this one @iamthejayhawk ? He's an LT guy that had some harsh criticisms for Hartman last year :)

@LakeCtyNewt yeah it's an entirely sh** situation, but certainly not the first and unfortunately probably not the last time that the interests of young men will be crushed by the political mistakes of adults.

Unless there is some crucial information I'm missing, all available information suggests a high probability that in a little over a week Hinsdale Central and Hinsdale South will no longer have football programs.

Hopefully Hartman is good to turn around the program, but in-game coaching will keep his ceiling low.

Also, Hinsdale kids would never go play for LT or Hinsdale South even given the opportunity. Also, there are only a few players that would go to Naz and play let alone start.

They'll find a couple million in the cushions of the couch during parent/teacher conferences. Pocket change just fell out.

No chance at a public without moving.

The better question that hasn’t been answered is would the IHSA let a transfer to a private school (without a change of address) have immediate eligibility under the circumstance or would they have to sit as usual?

The better question that hasn’t been answered is would the IHSA let a transfer to a private school (without a change of address) have immediate eligibility under the circumstance or would they have to sit as usual?
I think that if a player leaves a private school for another private school, as long as the other school doesn’t contest it and signs off, they can play immediately. I can tell you of at least 4 students who left MC and went to another private school in both football and baseball and didn’t skip a beat. One player left a month before the season started last year and played right away at BR. I think as long as there is no suspicion of wrong doing, they aren’t doing to stand in the way of them playing. Sometimes it’s not a fit, either academically or athletically, in most part the latter.

Reactions: Gene K.
I think that if a player leaves a private school for another private school, as long as the other school doesn’t contest it and signs off, they can play immediately. I can tell you of at least 4 students who left MC and went to another private school in both football and baseball and didn’t skip a beat. One player left a month before the season started last year and played right away at BR. I think as long as there is no suspicion of wrong doing, they aren’t doing to stand in the way of them playing. Sometimes it’s not a fit, either academically or athletically, in most part the latter.
The only rule that I have knowledge about is you can’t transfer public to public or public to catholic without moving or changing address.Must sit out a yr !

If there is a COOP agreement.

Are there any football teams like this in Illinois? I know they did it for hockey, but I thought they played in a different division for state playoffs/championship. I could see this happening in some smaller classes, I'm just unaware if that is currently the case.

The Hinsdale District 86 School Board proposed cuts to extracurriculars to save $1,223,240.00 out of a budget of more that $110,000,000.00 if the referendum does not pass. (see the Tribune article linked)

At the same time Hinsdale Central has approximately 2800 students and South has approximately 1500 students.

The school board does not want to make the difficult decision to change the boundaries to allow more students to attend South or go to the LT model of separate campuses depending upon grade.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/hinsdale/news/ct-dhd-district-86-cuts-list-tl-1227-story.html

Reactions: BoilerRC90
The Hinsdale District 86 School Board proposed cuts to extracurriculars to save $1,223,240.00 out of a budget of more that $110,000,000.00 if the referendum does not pass. (see the Tribune article linked)

At the same time Hinsdale Central has approximately 2800 students and South has approximately 1500 students.

The school board does not want to make the difficult decision to change the boundaries to allow more students to attend South or go to the LT model of separate campuses depending upon grade.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/hinsdale/news/ct-dhd-district-86-cuts-list-tl-1227-story.html

I find it strange that they want to cut football yet it may be the only sport that actually raises money for the school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT