ADVERTISEMENT

LT

I find it strange that they want to cut football yet it may be the only sport that actually raises money for the school.

HC $128,705 per year
HS $145,817 per year

After you figure in the extras needed to run a game I sure neither school is making money at the end of the year.

I find it strange that they want to cut football yet it may be the only sport that actually raises money for the school.

Realistically this is not about cutting extracurricular activities to save money. The cutting of these extracurricular activities is about hostage taking on the part of the School Board. The Board is telling the residents of District 86 that if we don't get our way and the referendum fails to pass we are going to shoot the hostage.

Keep in mind that the cost of the extracurricular activities that are being held hostage by the school board represent less that 1% of the District 86 budget.

HC $128,705 per year
HS $145,817 per year

After you figure in the extras needed to run a game I sure neither school is making money at the end of the year.

If that’s the case what about all the sports that absolutely lose money. Heck get rid of the band, cheerleaders, badminton, volleyball my goodness if football can’t make any money get rid of all their sports. Where do you stop? Schools like Rich East can have football but an affluent area like Hinsdale can’t? Makes no sense. Maybe you cut salaries to help pay for it. Someone isn’t doing their job.

If that’s the case what about all the sports that absolutely lose money. Heck get rid of the band, cheerleaders, badminton, volleyball my goodness if football can’t make any money get rid of all their sports. Where do you stop? Schools like Rich East can have football but an affluent area like Hinsdale can’t? Makes no sense. Maybe you cut salaries to help pay for it. Someone isn’t doing their job.

They would be getting rid of football, wrestling, band, swimming, water polo and cheerleading.

I was told that by 3 catholic Hs programs that you have to move or sit out a yr if you want to transfer from public to catholic
That is true in general, but there is a process in place where one can apply for immediate eligibility for a transfer from public to private without a move. I wasn't aware of this until recently. You have to apply to the IHSA, and a decision is made based on the merits of the application. I have no idea what would qualify one for immediate eligibility, but I know of at least one case where the student/athlete did not move and was immediately eligible on a public to private transfer. The eligibility decision involves the circumstances that precipitated the move from the original public school.

That is true in general, but there is a process in place where one can apply for immediate eligibility for a transfer from public to private without a move. I wasn't aware of this until recently. You have to apply to the IHSA, and a decision is made based on the merits of the application. I have no idea what would qualify one for immediate eligibility, but I know of at least one case where the student/athlete did not move and was immediately eligible on a public to private transfer. The eligibility decision involves the circumstances that precipitated the move from the original public school.

There were some girls who transferred to a girls power complaining of bullying and harassment at their local public a few years ago. The real reason was dad didn't feel his girls were being used properly by the coach. They were eligible right away.

There were some girls who transferred to a girls power complaining of bullying and harassment at their local public a few years ago. The real reason was dad didn't feel his girls were being used properly by the coach. They were eligible right away.
All you have to do is claim that you were bullied and they fold. Amazing how many of these great athletes are victims of being bullied! You can also claim you fear for your safety due to gang activity, that’s an automatic eligibility trick too

All you have to do is claim that you were bullied and they fold. Amazing how many of these great athletes are victims of being bullied! You can also claim you fear for your safety due to gang activity, that’s an automatic eligibility trick too
It would be truly amazing if you new that number. How many have appealed based on a bullying harassment claim. Do you realize that the sending school, the school the student is transferring from has to provide documentation to the IHSA. Further, they also have to sign of that the transfer was necessary for the student's safety.

When you say "amazing how many" please enlighten us.

It would be truly amazing if you new that number. How many have appealed based on a bullying harassment claim. Do you realize that the sending school, the school the student is transferring from has to provide documentation to the IHSA. Further, they also have to sign of that the transfer was necessary for the student's safety.

Agree
Mccaravan please put some facts to your accusations of the IHSA approving eligiblity due to gangs and bullying. Seems to like a stretch and a private vs public assumption.

I actually couldn’t believe it when the ADs told me this.You should be allowed to transfer to catholic from public or public to catholic at least one time.

I fully admit my wording was not properly used but it is a fact that it occurs and I know of two incidents with students from two different private schools, and both of these students reside in my neighborhood parish, that claimed bullying and were granted immediate eligibility. I’d bet my bottom dollar that they weren’t. Simple trip to the consoler and it’s documented. I figured if these two did it, they’re far from alone. I can tell you there are also students that transfer from inner city CPS schools to private and claim safety reasons and that’s actually completely believable.

Josh Fields claimed he was a victim of a racial incident at Georgia to gain immediate eligibility at OSU, yet his sister is remaining at UGA. I wonder if Jake Fromm wasn’t in front of him if they would have played that card....

So again I apologize for my wording and not providing specific numbers but do you honestly believe it doesn’t happen?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50
I follow all High School sports. I love them all. Each year I read about players who transfer from schools in every sport, football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, etc, that never seem to sit out. Private to Public, Public to Private, and none of them ever sit out a year. There are obviously several loopholes that people are using to avoid sitting out.

Reactions: bronco man
I follow all High School sports. I love them all. Each year I read about players who transfer from schools in every sport, football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, etc, that never seem to sit out. Private to Public, Public to Private, and none of them ever sit out a year. There are obviously several loopholes that people are using to avoid sitting out.
This

I fully admit my wording was not properly used but it is a fact that it occurs and I know of two incidents with students from two different private schools, and both of these students reside in my neighborhood parish, that claimed bullying and were granted immediate eligibility. I’d bet my bottom dollar that they weren’t. Simple trip to the consoler and it’s documented. I figured if these two did it, they’re far from alone. I can tell you there are also students that transfer from inner city CPS schools to private and claim safety reasons and that’s actually completely believable.

Josh Fields claimed he was a victim of a racial incident at Georgia to gain immediate eligibility at OSU, yet his sister is remaining at UGA. I wonder if Jake Fromm wasn’t in front of him if they would have played that card....

So again I apologize for my wording and not providing specific numbers but do you honestly believe it doesn’t happen?

Absolutely it happens. My point is that it’s not quite on the scale that people tend to believe. I’m sure you do know two people where this situation may have happened. Now compare that to the total number of student athletes that you’ve known in your lifetime. That’s about the appropriate ratio. IHSA does a nice job of policing the policy. They check for appropriate documentation. CPS has been uncontrolled. We’ll see how that goes now that the IHSA has to make a ruling on all member school’s transfers now.

Reactions: McCaravan
What about the transfers you’re not reading about? The ones that don’t get press. Most of them are probably ineligible.

If the Hinsdales do end up without football, I would imagine that would throw a wrench into the scheduling for the WSC. I guess you could matchup the two teams that were supposed to play them but I am sure it wouldn’t be that easy.

I have no reason to lie,the ADs wouldn’t even discuss transfer unless I agreed to sit out a yr of sports,they all were 8A top schools.They all knew the of my son.Maybe times are changing!Who knows?

I would agree with this.
A couple of years ago during the Lincoln Way Distruct 210 fiasco there was a loudmouth parent who was trying to promote the idea that the Lincoln Way athletes were all going to have to sit out a year due to LW North closing and them transferring schools.
That didn’t happen, but it got a lot of people worked up for a while.

How does the IHSA treat players for school without a sport? Can they play that sport for another school?

Are there any football teams like this in Illinois? I know they did it for hockey, but I thought they played in a different division for state playoffs/championship. I could see this happening in some smaller classes, I'm just unaware if that is currently the case.

The general procedure for kids from a school that does not have a sport to play the sport at another school is for the schools to enter into an agreement to form a co-operative, commonly referred to as a coop or co-op, team. This is common in areas where schools are generally under 500 kids. It often serves as the first step toward real small districts, like under 200 students, consolidating. Football and soccer are real common sports for small districts to form co-ops. There are even neighboring sub-100 student districts which co-op basketball.

There are currently 55 listed football co-ops on the IHSA website, involving 71 different schools. There are a number of 3 school co-ops, and at least one public league co-op with 4 schools. The enrollment of a co-op is the total of all schools involved, so part of the district issue is co-op programs being pushed up a class or two away from regular conference rivals.

The largest co-op in any sport appears to be Byron hosting 7 other schools for swimming...

And big schools also do co-ops in less common sports: swimming & gymnastics are common. Trading co-ops is also common...perhaps a multi-high school district has school A host swimming, so the district has only one pool, and school B hosts gymnastics, and so on...A number of smaller districts do this with football & soccer, or baseball & track.

There is another athletic possibility, best exhibited by Berwyn-Cicero Morton and Bloom - Bloom Trail: the combined interscholastic program. Joliet did this for a long time as well. How does this work? One school district, multiple schools, but only one set of athletic teams for both schools. These are districts too cheap even to have separate basketball teams...

There also is a procedure where a school which lacks a team in a "individual" sport - cross country, track, golf are usual examples - so the individuals can be allowed to participate.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerRC90
They would be getting rid of football, wrestling, band, swimming, water polo and cheerleading.

Realistically this is not about cutting extracurricular activities to save money. The cutting of these extracurricular activities is about hostage taking on the part of the School Board. The Board is telling the residents of District 86 that if we don't get our way and the referendum fails to pass we are going to shoot the hostage.

Keep in mind that the cost of the extracurricular activities that are being held hostage by the school board represent less that 1% of the District 86 budget.

There is another way to look at part of this. One of the reasons claimed for the new pools is that the existing pools fail to meet modern standards. They, then, have held the swimming programs hostage over building new / renovating existing facilities to modern standards through the referendum. Basically, they are saying if we can't host regionals because our pools are inadequate, we aren't going to have swimming or water polo...

Likewise, another big chunk of money in the referendum appears to be for basically reconstructing the stadiums - new turf, resurface the track, new bleachers & press boxes. If they were cutting track & soccer, I could see the same position as swimming - we aren't going to have any sports that don't play in modern, renovated, safe facilities...But apparently they are only worried about football fans falling through the bleachers...

I wonder what would happen, given the apparent preference for Hinsdale Central, if the district had instead of cutting the sports had decided to do co-ops at South for swimming (only fixing South's pool) and at Central for football (only fixing Central's stadium)...

I wonder what would happen, given the apparent preference for Hinsdale Central, if the district had instead of cutting the sports had decided to do co-ops at South for swimming (only fixing South's pool) and at Central for football (only fixing Central's stadium)...

The reason the proponents of the referendum chose to cut sports is to elicit an emotional response from the electorate. The extracurriculars that are proposed being cut represent in dollars less than 1% of the districts budget.

It comes down to the following, Hinsdale Central is seen as a better high school than South. Central has close to 2700 enrolled, South just over 1400. Central is overcrowded, South has empty space. If looking at just those numbers an outsider would say equalize the populations of the schools. That is not going to happen. The campaign to vote yes is well financed. I receive a glossy mailing every two days.

It speaks poorly of the Board that they can't figure something out, beside calling for a referendum to borrow $140,000,000.00 when they are currently spending over $25,000.00 per student per year.

One item that may have an affect the vote is the fact that people may have woken up when preparing their taxes, to the fact that the SALT limitation on the deductibility of property taxes.

Last edited:
What does the talent look like at LT? How long will it take to turn it around?

The freshman class at LT is very good and I would expect Hartman to bring several up to the varsity next year.

Skill position wise they will back on par with what they normally are with speed & some size. Big question will be their lines?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT