ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola at Marist

Great game for Loyola and good season for both teams. I'm very grateful we got to have it!

Don't know if any other geeks out there caught the Freshman game this morning, but it ended with an absolute circus catch for a touchdown to give Marist the win. Very entertaining.

Great things ahead for these two programs, I think the 8A title goes through Marist and Loyola for a while!

They live in Lake Forest but his older brother who plays basketball at Boston College also went to Loyola Academy and captained the team his senior year...Vaughn was also an All-Conference basketball player this year, too...if you want a good book to read, take a look at the book his father wrote that became a best-seller and a movie...explains a lot about Vaughn and why he went to Loyola....
What’s the book?

I know Pemberton committed to Ball State and it’s a fine D1 school but wondering if his outstanding play this Spring may have caught the eyes of the Big Ten or other large conferences. They always have a scholarship or two in there pockets and even if he is a PWO for a year from what I read above it sounds like they could flip the bill on tuition for a year.

I know Pemberton committed to Ball State and it’s a fine D1 school but wondering if his outstanding play this Spring may have caught the eyes of the Big Ten or other large conferences. They always have a scholarship or two in there pockets and even if he is a PWO for a year from what I read above it sounds like they could flip the bill on tuition for a year.
Exactly what I was thinking. I haven't seen him play but comments on this board seem to indicate it's no stretch to consider him the best RB in the conference on arguably the best team in state. He's a difference maker not just the beneficiary of a stud line. There are other ccl rbs with more offers - a bit of a head scratcher.

Reactions: Gene K.
I believe some of those schools have been calling Loyola asking exactly that question but not sure how Vaughn and his family feels about it...

Reactions: McCaravan
Yes it is. Bowie that’s a big statement. 30 year’s? That’s homer bowl! LMAO.
I think Bowie is getting at a conversation Coach Holecek had with a former LA coach who goes way back to before most of us were born who said this team, along with the 2015 team, was the best he's seen.

It was close in the first half. LA seemed to kick it into another gear after half. This Loyola team is one of the best IL HS teams I’ve seen in 30 years. That is not hyperbole.
Cmon. They escaped with a 7-3 win against a 5A school. They may be one of the best you have seen, but I'm not buying that they are one of the best Illinois high school teams in the last 30 years. There are people that will argue that they may not be the best team in Illinois this year.

Reactions: ClownBaby
St. Rita was 5-1 and except for Providence won handily against the other teams. Some of those teams were higher than 5A. Loyola was the top team in Illinois IMHO and if their coach and others said they were among the best to ever play at Loyola that would be good enough for me.

St. Rita was 5-1 and except for Providence won handily against the other teams. Some of those teams were higher than 5A. Loyola was the top team in Illinois IMHO and if their coach and others said they were among the best to ever play at Loyola that would be good enough for me.

Gene
I don’t disagree with you but what were the coaches supposed to say? It’s a big statement that’s all I am saying.

Gene
I don’t disagree with you but what were the coaches supposed to say? It’s a big statement that’s all I am saying.
They could just say, "this is a great Loyola team." Or they could also say, "this is one of the best teams that I've coached."

Last edited:
A 6-game season isn't quite a 14-game season, but a great one nonetheless.
The entire season had the air of the Wednesday/Saturday playoff games. If anything conferences weren't as important as thought as coaches were able to scramble for competition on short notice and "5 wins" was of no importance, so it had a looser feel.

Last edited:
Cmon. They escaped with a 7-3 win against a 5A school. They may be one of the best you have seen, but I'm not buying that they are one of the best Illinois high school teams in the last 30 years. There are people that will argue that they may not be the best team in Illinois this year.
I don't know if Loyola is one of the best or not in the past 30 years. Unfortunately, this whole season is an asterisk, and it doesn't make sense to me to try to compare it too closely to past seasons. However, your argument about them squeaking by a 5A school is totally disingenuous. You follow football and this board closely enough to know that the 5A school you refer to is St. Rita and that Rita finished the season with one loss at #4 in Edgy's final Chicagoland top 30 ranking (higher than traditional 8A powers like MS, NC, Marist, etc.).

Please, spare us the spin. We (well, most of us) here are smarter than that. And so are you.

I don't know if Loyola is one of the best or not in the past 30 years. Unfortunately, this whole season is an asterisk, and it doesn't make sense to me to try to compare it too closely to past seasons. However, your argument about them squeaking by a 5A school is totally disingenuous. You follow football and this board closely enough to know that the 5A school you refer to is St. Rita and that Rita finished the season with one loss at #4 in Edgy's final Chicagoland top 30 ranking (higher than traditional 8A powers like MS, NC, Marist, etc.).

Please, spare us the spin. We (well, most of us) here are smarter than that. And so are you.

I agree that it is really difficult to compare this year with any previous year. However, the point I was making is that if a team is supposed to be one of the best in the last 30 years, it should dominate every game it plays. If Rita scores on it's last possession of that game when they were in the red zone, we are not even having this conversation.

I agree that it is really difficult to compare this year with any previous year. However, the point I was making is that if a team is supposed to be one of the best in the last 30 years, it should dominate every game it plays. If Rita scores on it's last possession of that game when they were in the red zone, we are not even having this conversation.
Again, I'm not arguing that Loyola is one of the best teams in the last 30 years, but I do think your criteria for greatness is a bit steep. The 85 Bears had to come from behind in the second half twice in both of their games against the Bucs (a team that finished the season at 2-14). Their first game against TB they won by 10 and the second game by 8. They had a one score win over the Pack (8-8). They lost to the Dolphins by two TDs. They were tied at 3 against the Colts (5-11) at half and ultimately beat them by a single score. They clearly didn't dominate every game they played (or even got close to that level of achievement), yet those 85 Bears are widely considered to be one of the best single season teams in the modern era.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and HRCJR
Again, I'm not arguing that Loyola is one of the best teams in the last 30 years, but I do think your criteria for greatness is a bit steep. The 85 Bears had to come from behind in the second half twice in both of their games against the Bucs (a team that finished the season at 2-14). Their first game against TB they won by 10 and the second game by 8. They had a one score win over the Pack (8-8). They lost to the Dolphins by two TDs. They were tied at 3 against the Colts (5-11) at half and ultimately beat them by a single score. They clearly didn't dominate every game they played (or even got close to that level of achievement), yet those 85 Bears are widely considered one of the best single season teams in the modern era.
Comparing great high school football teams and great NFL teams is apples to oranges. There has been one undefeated NFL team in the Superbowl era. There have been hundreds of undefeated high school football teams in Illinois throughout the years. You may not be arguing if Loyola is one of the best high school teams in the last 30 years, but another poster stated they were one of the best IL high school teams in the last 30 years. In regards to high school teams, there have been many teams over the last 30 years that ran through the playoffs in the large classes without being challenged. As I stated, without playoffs this year, it is really difficult to measure how great a team really is. I agree that Loyola played a very tough schedule this year and was pretty dominate, I just don't know if I can get on board with them being one of the best in the last 30 years.

Comparing great high school football teams and great NFL teams is apples to oranges. There has been one undefeated NFL team in the Superbowl era. There have been hundreds of undefeated high school football teams in Illinois throughout the years. You may not be arguing if Loyola is one of the best high school teams in the last 30 years, but another poster stated they were one of the best IL high school teams in the last 30 years. In regards to high school teams, there have been many teams over the last 30 years that ran through the playoffs in the large classes without being challenged. As I stated, without playoffs this year, it is really difficult to measure how great a team really is. I agree that Loyola played a very tough schedule this year and was pretty dominate, I just don't know if I can get on board with them being one of the best in the last 30 years.
I'm sure there have been instances over the years where extraordinary HS teams have run the table and had a close call or two along the way...especially against highly ranked teams.

Reactions: McCaravan
MC had about 7 games that could have gone either way in their 14-0 season in 2019. It makes you a better team!
I agree. But would you say that the 2019 MC team was one of the best high school football teams in the last 30 years? Most would say they are not even one of MC's top teams. I'm not arguing that LA was a very good team. I just don't think they have the resume to say they are one of the best teams in Illinois in the last 30 years.

Last edited:
I agree. But would you say that the 2019 MC team was one of the best high school football teams in the last 30 years? I'm not arguing that LA was a very good team. I just dont think they have the resume to say they are one of the best teams in Illinois in the last 30 years.
Because anything can happen in a single game (ask the LWE team of 2018), the story will never be complete. The best of all time talk comes not just because they won out but that they did so in such convincing fashion against Top 10 teams. They had the most difficult schedule in the state. They were only really challenged by SR in the first game of the season and even then the LA defense held them without a TD. When all is said and done, we should all just be thrilled these boys got a chance to play.

Because anything can happen in a single game (ask the LWE team of 2018), the story will never be complete. The best of all time talk comes not just because they won out but that they did so in such convincing fashion against Top 10 teams. They had the most difficult schedule in the state. They were only really challenged by SR in the first game of the season and even then the LA defense held them without a TD. When all is said and done, we should all just be thrilled these boys got a chance to play.
I am. But the season is over, and I enjoy debating/arguing high school football ;).

Again, I'm not arguing that Loyola is one of the best teams in the last 30 years, but I do think your criteria for greatness is a bit steep. The 85 Bears had to come from behind in the second half twice in both of their games against the Bucs (a team that finished the season at 2-14). Their first game against TB they won by 10 and the second game by 8. They had a one score win over the Pack (8-8). They lost to the Dolphins by two TDs. They were tied at 3 against the Colts (5-11) at half and ultimately beat them by a single score. They clearly didn't dominate every game they played (or even got close to that level of achievement), yet those 85 Bears are widely considered to be one of the best single season teams in the modern era.
The opponents of the ‘85 Bears were terrible. In fact, the week that they played the Bears they were a combined 1-and-18.

Reactions: Bowie50 and go_rice
You remember all that?

Anyways. Without any real nonconference comparisons and playoffs I don't think we can even have this conversation. I don't think a close game eliminates LA, but it could be that this was a down year in the CCL/ESCC like Big 10 basketball at March Madness time.

You remember all that?

Anyways. Without any real nonconference comparisons and playoffs I don't think we can even have this conversation. I don't think a close game eliminates LA, but it could be that this was a down year in the CCL/ESCC like Big 10 basketball at March Madness time.
I remembered the opening game against the Bucs and the loss against Miami. The other examples I looked up.

Down year for the CCL/ESCC? I don't think so. Check out Edgy's final Top 30 poll. Six of the first eight teams are from the CCL/ESCC. Loyola beat four of them. I realize you will argue no playoffs this year, but often those playoffs see schools like Loyola, Marist, Rice, Rita, MC, etc. knocking each other out, so what does that really tell you anyway?

Last edited:
I agree. But would you say that the 2019 MC team was one of the best high school football teams in the last 30 years? Most would say they are not even one of MC's top teams. I'm not arguing that LA was a very good team. I just don't think they have the resume to say they are one of the best teams in Illinois in the last 30 years.
Not close to one of the all time best in the last 30. I have them in my top 5 of all time MC best because I personally had them 6-3 with a possibility of 5-4 based on who they had back and a bunch of underclassmen at the top positions, but they were a bunch of fighters and had Lady Luck on their side a few times, and played their asses off. They were fun!

I don’t think any team that played this year can be deemed one of IL all time best because it was an incomplete season. Only teams that complete that 14 game grind, through the elements, through injuries, and hoist up a State trophy can be considered one of the all time best. Nothing against any teams like LA or LWE who had phenomenal Spring teams but it is what it is.

Reactions: USD24
I remembered the opening game against the Bucs and the loss against Miami. The other examples I looked up.

Down year for the CCL/ESCC? I don't think so. Check out Edgy's final Top 30 poll. Six of the first eight teams are from the CCL/ESCC. Loyola beat four of them. I realize you will argue no playoffs this year, but often those playoffs see schools like Loyola, Marist, Rice, Rita, MC, etc. knocking each other out, so what does that really tell you anyway?
I'm not saying it was a down year, just that things aren't always as they seem. I ordered a Jets Pizza and watched Loyola basically handle an Illinois team that most people had in the Final 4. And Ohio State lost to a dentist school (or is that Oral B). Michigan State didn't make it out of the play in bracket. So on and so forth. But everyone was sure the Big 10 was the best conference and had the most teams in the top 10 prior to tourney time.

Obviously LA is the most successful program over the past decade or so, so it's unlikely they would've been a bust. But it does happen. I'm with you, we really have to asterisk the season and just be happy we got to tune in on our computers and smart devices.

Not close to one of the all time best in the last 30. I have them in my top 5 of all time MC best because I personally had them 6-3 with a possibility of 5-4 based on who they had back and a bunch of underclassmen at the top positions, but they were a bunch of fighters and had Lady Luck on their side a few times, and played their asses off. They were fun!

I don’t think any team that played this year can be deemed one of IL all time best because it was an incomplete season. Only teams that complete that 14 game grind, through the elements, through injuries, and hoist up a State trophy can be considered one of the all time best. Nothing against any teams like LA or LWE who had phenomenal Spring teams but it is what it is.

Clearly there is a difference between 6-0 and 14-0. The other thing against Loyola being one of the GOATs Is that in the same quarter of the state there is L-W E and barrington and Warren all also at 6-0. And I do not think there is any common opponent among the four teams. The other thing that’s not clear is the status of small schools that could never beat an 8A power but just slaughter everyone in their path. I mean Carmel of mundelein ruled 6a in 2003. They beat 5a champ Joliet Catholic by 27 points and put up 50 in the state title game with a backup qb. But could that Carmel team best 8A champ Lockport ? An all time great team in a six game season is a tough sell. You also have the built-in bias: If you like the 85 bears you note they gave up just 10 points in 3 playoff games. Bears are awesome. Or if you back the Pack, you note they wouldn’t have even won the super bowl if New England hadn’t upset dolphins in AFC title game. BeArs were lucky. Trying to debate the merits of one 6-0 team this yeAr vs other 6/0 teams this without any way to compare scores or quality of competition is a topic for debate but has zero chance of resolution. I personally think 6 wins vs 14 wins is not remotely comparable. But obviously there’s another point of view. It’s just tough discussing stuff with little dat. It’s like asking how high is up?

In 2017, the Trib did an interesting article on the 32 greatest high school football teams. The GOAT was the 1970 Pittsfield team that went undefeated and unscored upon, allowing negative yardage for the season. It helps give some perspective to the hype machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50

Eh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT