ADVERTISEMENT

Longest Winning Streaks in Illinois

FootballTrack8

Jan 23, 2016
Morris
Re-watched the movie of DeLaSalle (CA) 150+ game win streaks and got me thinking about Illinois and what some of the longest win streaks are

I think in the last 40 years I’ve been following Mount Carmel I believe their longest is 24 games in a row from 1991-1992

In boys' hoops, Hillcrest has a couple insane streaks between its former membership in divisions of old SICA and currently the South Suburban Conference. Correct me if slightly off, but in 2016 the Hawks had won 28 straight conference championships and now have won/shared for 32 of the last 33.

The best WWS ever had was 27 wins in a row during '06 and '07

They also won 30 consecutive DVC games from '03 to '08

Providence 50 game winning streak starting in 1994 ended Week 9 1997 to Bishop Mac..then went on to beat Metamora in 4A state final. Pittsfield and Provi top two in Illinois history.

Reactions: Bowie50
In boys' hoops, Hillcrest has a couple insane streaks between its former membership in divisions of old SICA and currently the South Suburban Conference. Correct me if slightly off, but in 2016 the Hawks had won 28 straight conference championships and now have won/shared for 32 of the last 33.

Lemont ended their winning outright streak 8 years ago. They shared after beating Hillcrest but also finishing 12-1. TFN ended the streak like 3 years ago.

Reactions: johnndoe
SHG had won 59 straight conference games before Leonard Bowl 1.
The lowest scoring of the all the Leonard Bowls, Rochester won 13-10 by knocking down a pass near the end zone in the last minute.

Providence 50 game winning streak starting in 1994 ended Week 9 1997 to Bishop Mac..then went on to beat Metamora in 4A state final. Pittsfield and Provi top two in Illinois history.
Provi also had a 32 game win streak from 01-03 .

I think in the last 40 years I’ve been following Mount Carmel I believe their longest is 24 games in a row from 1991-1992

I can';t find my old Frank Kiszka football yearbooks, so I can't tell for sure.

Our "50, '51 and'52 teams were all City Champions (a huge deal at he time), and I believe they were undefeated. Thee were likely a few vidtories to start the '53 season, as well.

Does any Carmel guy have one of those old football yearbooks? Help!

I can';t find my old Frank Kiszka football yearbooks, so I can't tell for sure.

Our "50, '51 and'52 teams were all City Champions (a huge deal at he time), and I believe they were undefeated. Thee were likely a few vidtories to start the '53 season, as well.

Does any Carmel guy have one of those old football yearbooks? Help!

They were 11-0 in 1950, 9-2 in 1951 losing to St. George and Central Catholic (Green Bay), and 11-0 in 1952.

East Side had 44 games in a row in the 1980s.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1986-10-13-8603170331-story.html

-- Just what you feared: In the aftermath of Granite City`s 17-14 upset of East St. Louis on Oct. 4, it took several days for the town and school to return to normal. ''Monday, everybody was still flying high,'' said coach Ron Yates. ''And I mean everybody.'' Yates and his staff spent much of last week trying to bring their players back to earth in time for Saturday night`s game against powerful Belleville Althoff, to no avail. Althoff (6-0) smothered Granite City 41-0, with Terrence Chavis rushing for touchdowns of 6, 45 and 3 yards. Juan Cox intercepted two passes in the first half, one inside Granite City`s 10-yard line. Althoff rushed for more than 400 yards, while Granite City was held to 95 yards total offense.

-- But it was sweet while it lasted: Yates said that in the closing seconds of the victory over East St. Louis, the nation`s No. 1-ranked team, the home crowd`s chants of ''defense, defense'' could be heard a half-mile away. East St. Louis had won 44 straight games. Yates said that when the game ended ''it was just bedlam. Mass bedlam. Just euphoria. All the adults and children were hugging each other. All the adults were children for a few seconds. It was a sight to behold. It was one of the most fantastic sporting events this town has seen in decades.

Hinsdale Central has had some phenomenal runs of team state championships in Boys Swim/Dive, Boys Tennis and Boys Gymnastics during that late 60s through late 70s time. More recently, Boys Golf, Girls Tennis and Boys Tennis again have had long stretches at/near the very top.
The New Trier schools have also had some notable pockets of state domination in a handful of sports over the decades.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
I believe LA won approx 30 in a row between end of 2014 prep bowl run and 2016 loss to MS in state game.

Reactions: PowerI66
Geneseo had a 31 game winning streak, 77-79
and 52 game unbeaten streak 65-71

Althoff lost the opener my junior year then we ran the table and we could not find anyone to play a ninth with us senior year, so only 13 there ... then those A-holes lost the opener, ending the state’s longest streak (active) at the time.

Althoff lost the opener my junior year then we ran the table and we could not find anyone to play a ninth with us senior year, so only 13 there ... then those A-holes lost the opener, ending the state’s longest streak (active) at the time.

What about Driscoll? They must have had a string. IC won three in a row. What was their sting. Rochester have a run?

Thanks. BTW, not that long ago, Taylor Bell called our 1950 team the best ever in Chicagoland.

That was at least 25 years ago. I don't even think I was in high school when that article came out.

In the early '70s, therefore pre-playoffs, Tinley Park HS won 24 straight under recently-departed HOF coach, Jim Fredenberger.

Reactions: Formicidae13
Probably a bit harder to find since it wouldn't be a point of pride, but anyone know of any of the longest losing streaks in the state?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT