ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Zurich vs. PN

rita2407

Oct 30, 2017
A friend of mine from Schaumburg who was at the game said that LZ's good running back and star MLB left in the second half due to injuries.

Do people feel like PN has a shot?

Wondering who St. Rita will play in the quarters if they get by SCN.

Took them out when they were up 42-6 in the late third qtr. both could’ve returned but didn’t need to.

A friend of mine from Schaumburg who was at the game said that LZ's good running back and star MLB left in the second half due to injuries.

Lol. I know you said "if" but Rita and its fans with a second or third string QB on the road vs an explosive 8-1 SCN team should only be worrying about #5, #9, #27 and a host of other North Stars. That's a tremendous load SR is walking into and may not have to need to worry about PN or LZ but rather who is left in the prep bowl playoffs.

Seems like the LZ-PN matchup might be a tough one for LZ. PN's overall team speed and perimeter game on offense and stout defense could be the combination that hurts LZ. LZ seems to do better against big teams that want to pound the rock.

Seems like the LZ-PN matchup might be a tough one for LZ. PN's overall team speed and perimeter game on offense and stout defense could be the combination that hurts LZ. LZ seems to do better against big teams that want to pound the rock.

You must not have seen the teams LZ played this year.

Yes, I wish to echo R-Soup's post. I think using the word "would" instead of "will" makes it more of a conditional statement.

I hear LZ is the real deal, so PN beating them would be a huge upset, IMO. Let's hope junior, third-string QB can hold his own and guide the Mustangs to victory!

You must not have seen the teams LZ played this year.

I know the biggest trouble they had was with the most athletic team on their schedule. What type of team do you think would be most capable of giving LZ fits?

I know the biggest trouble they had was with the most athletic team on their schedule. What type of team do you think would be most capable of giving LZ fits?

A team with tremendous size would cause this team trouble. A team that is lined up to pound the ball would cause big trouble. A team that has a lot of speed matches well because this LZ team is built on speed. Their passing game is historically good for them. A team that runs 5 wide with 6-5, 6-3 on the outside could pose problems as well.

Unless Plainfield is a team with big wide receivers and a massive O-line, I don't see that fitting into the bad matchup category. But that would be why they will play at 1 on Saturday.

My son plays for LZ. Sanborn is fine. Has a toe issue but is practicing too so no big deal. LZ has one weakness on defense and that's defending the seam pass. Otherwise, they are incredibly fast, especially to the outside.

A team with tremendous size would cause this team trouble. A team that is lined up to pound the ball would cause big trouble. A team that has a lot of speed matches well because this LZ team is built on speed. Their passing game is historically good for them. A team that runs 5 wide with 6-5, 6-3 on the outside could pose problems as well.

Unless Plainfield is a team with big wide receivers and a massive O-line, I don't see that fitting into the bad matchup category. But that would be why they will play at 1 on Saturday.

I don't want you to think I am bashing your team but I am not sure you know what speed truly looks like.

PN has about 8 players faster than any starter on LZ's football team. That opinion has been formed from watching both play numerous times.

LZ's track team is one of the slowest in the entire state outside of 1A schools and PN has one of the best track programs in the state and their top returning sprinter who is prominently featured in their offense is 2 full seconds faster than LZ's top returning sprinter in the 100. Think about that for a second.

I realize that LZ football players might focus on 7 on 7s and lifting in the spring rather than running track, but I believe that is reflected on the football field.

Almost every team has a shot to win each week from here on out, including PN. And yes, PN is fast. But LZ has to be considered the favorite.

Almost every team has a shot to win each week from here on out, including PN. And yes, PN is fast. But LZ has to be considered the favorite.

Totally agree with that. I just think it will be interesting to see how well LZ does with PN's speed.

Just using raw number of Points For & Against for each team, looks like it'll be a good one. It doesn't look like PN had a lot of games where their 2nd & 3rd stringers were able to get into the game. Only real close game LZ had was Warren....and that was way too close.

This one could be a coaches battle, who out thinks who(m)?

Using track and field statistics as a barometer for football success is somewhat silly. I can come up with hundreds of examples to where its not a good comparison.

The best players on Lake Zurich - minus Powell, aren't track guys. Hasn't exactly hurt their success on the field. Sanborn isn't a track guy, he can play a little. Stutzman, Lewandowski, Enters - not track guys.

I seem to recall everyone giving the PN freshman the state title in the 100 and 200 at the state meet last year and how did that work out? Declan Rustay had a say in that and he isn't a football player.

Football plays are typically 40 yards or less and I am sure that PN don't have kids that are a full two seconds faster that LZ in the 40. I will also add football speed (playing/ running without fear) is more important than T shirt and shorts speed. I don't care who ran what time in the 100m, what's important is how fast the kid can react to multiple people coming at them full speed.

I personally think LZ walks to the quarters in easy fashion - but that’s why they play the games!

I've seen LZ twice 'live' and I agree with Newt in that a team with very good size up front can present problems for LZ. Reminds me of the '06/'07 LZ defensive teams. St.Rita was one of the few teams that had success running the ball - QB draw I recall was very effective running right at them (Brewer was tough, but he was an easy target to double as a zero technique and Rita had some big guards to get it done).

Anyone thinking they'll have success running sideline to sideline on this current LZ D is just nuts.

Speed is an interesting thing. I don’t know what kind of speed PN faced, but assuming PN turns on the jets and needs to turn it on a little more than they’ve had to, that’ll certainly cause some timing issue both for protection and accuracy. Rumor has it LZ has caught a just a few opposing QB’s passes.

I don’t know much about PN, but keeping the QB in check is the LZ key to the game. JMO

Speed is speed LHSTigers. I would expect an ESL guy to understand that. If your argument was that being fast doesn’t always make you the best football player, I would understand your argument. And if someone runs a 4.3 and their opponent trying to catch him runs a 4.7, that opponent is going to look pretty silly. Again, surprised at your lack of knowledge on speed.

I am not saying that LZ is going to lose. But PN is faster than them and most of the teams on the LZ schedule. Sorry if that offends some of you.

LZ will win this game on the LoS. Not because they have better athletes on the perimeter.

Well if it was the state finals in track I’d think this wouldn’t be close. But we have 7 months until that happens.

LZ has played one very good opponent, Warren, and won in OT. No offense to Montini and Stevenson, but they are both down this year (compared to what they usually are). They have not played any team with the speed and passing capabilities of PN.

PN beat a very good Oswego team pretty handedly (outgained them 2:1 in yards). They have a great defense, allowing under 9 points per game. Speed is not just an offensive attribute... the defensive speed that PN plays with is crazy good.

I see this game being very close, possibly going to the team who makes the fewest mistakes.

I don’t understand some of the other posters on here stating that LZ is untouchable and is going to cake walk into the semis. This game will be their toughest test yet.

LZ has played one very good opponent, Warren, and won in OT. No offense to Montini and Stevenson, but they are both down this year (compared to what they usually are). They have not played any team with the speed and passing capabilities of PN.

PN beat a very good Oswego team pretty handedly (outgained them 2:1 in yards). They have a great defense, allowing under 9 points per game. Speed is not just an offensive atteibute... the defensive speed that PN plays with is crazy good.

I see this game being very close, possibly going to the team who makes the fewest mistakes.

I don’t understand some of the other posters on here stating that LZ is untouchable and is going to cake walk into the semis. This game will be their toughest test yet.

tenor.gif

PN beat a very good Oswego team pretty handedly (outgained them 2:1 in yards). They have a great defense, allowing under 9 points per game. Speed is not just an offensive attribute... the defensive speed that PN plays with is crazy good.

LZ is tough. Not saying untouchable but very tough. They dominated Stevenson who was solid and beat Warren who just handed it to the brook. Plainfield north on the other hand lost to a Minooka team that struggled with Notre Dame in round 1. Both of those teams looked subpar to me. I bet lz wins by at least 21.

LZ is tough. Not saying untouchable but very tough. They dominated Stevenson who was solid and beat Warren who just handed it to the brook. Plainfield north on the other hand lost to a Minooka team that struggled with Notre Dame in round 1. Both of those teams looked subpar to me. I bet lz wins by at least 21.

PN defense has allowed over 20 points only twice in the past 24 games (past 2 seasons), ESL in the title game and Minooka this year. And you think LZ wins by at least 21? Get real.

It’s funny every year when LZ is good we get the typical random posts that claim they haven’t played anyone or are too slow or they haven’t seen this or that. It doesn’t matter who has played whom. Once the ball is kicked Saturday the team that scores the most points wins. And all this - so and so will win by 21 and my team hasnt given up 21 since the other team wore leather helmets stuff won’t mean diddly.

Vfl05,
Simply put, I have never seen Oswego East at state in Track. If they were, I don't remember them.

PN beat Oswego 12-7. I don't feel any team has a cake walk but your tone is just as bad as the so called LZ people. One thing I respect the most is history. LZ has been there a few times with their culture of football. Last year was the first time PN won a playoff game with all that speed. I think a little more respect should be given to both teams in my opinion.

PN defense has allowed over 20 points only twice in the past 24 games (past 2 seasons), ESL in the title game and Minooka this year. And you think LZ wins by at least 21? Get real.
Not an LZ fan here. I have no horse in this race. What I do know is that Minooka and ND are bad 8a teams and PN lost to Minooka. I stand by my statement that LZ wins by 21.

PN beat Oswego 12-7. I don't feel any team has a cake walk but your tone is just as bad as the so called LZ people. One thing I respect the most is history. LZ has been there a few times with their culture of football. Last year was the first time PN won a playoff game with all that speed. I think a little more respect should be given to both teams in my opinion.

PN has only been open for 11 years. The second fastest school to reach the state championship game (after LWE). LZ has had an unbelievable football tradition and has had an outstanding year.

My only point is that the game will be much closer than most expect. LZ is clearly the favorite. Expect a dog fight.

PN has only been open for 11 years. The second fastest school to reach the state championship game (after LWE). LZ has had an unbelievable football tradition and has had an outstanding year.

My only point is that the game will be much closer than most expect. LZ is clearly the favorite. Expect a dog fight.

I understand your point. I don't know enough about PN or LZ to argue that point. I do know smart DC's can keep ANY kid bottled up regardless of speed. I have seen it time and time again.

Reactions: RockSoup
I understand your point. I don't know enough about PN or LZ to argue that point. I do know smart DC's can keep ANY kid bottled up regardless of speed. I have seen it time and time again.
Smart DCs AND unselfish defenders, maintaining their gaps, playing their role and trusting their teammates to play their role, work inside out, outside in, wrap up, don't be a hero and over penetrate allowing cutback lanes and overscraping cut back lanes. Make the offense go 10-15 plays to score and understand the other side of 16-18 year olds will make a mistake (false start, holding) because they are frustrated that it's taking so long to score when it usually takes 4 plays to score with a dynamic playmaker vs an undisciplined, sloppy tackling defense leading to disadvantaged down and distances leading to turnover on downs, punts or at worst, FG attempts. Pretty simple right coaches and ex coaches of the board?:D

I have yet to understand where ANYBODY would bring up track! How freakin stoopid.

Renaldo Nehemiah.

I can’t ever remember assessing a favorite based on track results!

My history observing HS ball typically suggests you take speedy boy on early in the game, and crank his ass in the ground, speed becomes irrelevant.

Most speedsters don’t like contact, hence they run track.

I’m taking LZ.

I watched the stream of the Warren game LZ should not have won that game. But hey good teams find a way to win.

I have yet to understand where ANYBODY would bring up track! How freakin stoopid.

Renaldo Nehemiah.

I can’t ever remember assessing a favorite based on track results!

My history observing HS ball typically suggests you take speedy boy on early in the game, and crank his ass in the ground, speed becomes irrelevant.

Most speedsters don’t like contact, hence they run track.

I’m taking LZ.

Lol yikes. This may be one of the most ignorant posts of the season. Where do I begin?

I did not take PN as a favorite. I said their speed could give LZ fits, although I expect LZ to win. Track results were one piece of evidence of their speed.

As for your assessment on speed, me and every decent coach in America believe that speed is a very important factor in football. Ask LWE how they are doing with their track speed at RB this year.

Speed can be beaten, sure. But I would rather have it on my side.

Speed kills! Personally seen on many occasions a break away TD run or pass chased down from 20yrds in the rear...those TD’s often turn into FG’s or no points at all. I’ll take speed any day...

As for the game- PN defense is very very stingy and full of said speed! This same speed is the reason they made the run last year until they ran in Jeffery. Seen them play 2x this year- all I can say is don’t hang your expectations on that Minooka game- everyone can struggle and the Minooka D is no slouch either (See Ty Gavin totals from Week 10)

Reactions: SWsuburbs4
No one on this planet believes speed is not important. This topic is about a "fast" LZ defense against and even faster (poster claim) PN. The concern is when someone tries to use track result to conclude one team is faster than the other. As a person that has been around several levels of speed, there is a HUGE difference between football speed and track speed. Very few kids are great at both and typically those are considered very special kids.

There is a poster on this thread who would like to challenge my knowledge however I don't think it is worth totally derailing this thread. In the end, if both teams are fast, execution will determine who wins the game.

This is why I love playoff football!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT