ADVERTISEMENT

LA v Marist

1 to the probable 7a champ, 2 to the same team, and 1pretty bad loss it looks like to Iggy Indiana. I really don't see how they are as overrated as you claim. I think too 10 is definitely reasonable.
They lost two games to a team that finished the year 5-4. They are not a top 10 team

Many people from the NW side are saying "Hey, Marist beat LA twice and ND beat Marist. ND is the best Catholic team up north!"

Ok, no one is saying that except me.

Congrats to both schools on phenomenal seasons. Marist steps up when it counts.

Many people from the NW side are saying "Hey, Marist beat LA twice and ND beat Marist. ND is the best Catholic team up north!"

Ok, no one is saying that except me.

Congrats to both schools on phenomenal seasons. Marist steps up when it counts.
What makes ND fun is the fact that they really don’t like any other team

Reactions: ESCC fan
I know!!! I gotta root for a CL team! I have the greatest respect for LWE and their community! Good luck to both squads! Should be a heck of a game. LWE is a special program. Good luck Corey! You are one of my favorite posters!

Thanks Bowie50
The respect is mutual. I always love reading your posts. No matter what happens with East going forward We both know East & Loyola are top programs.

They lost two games to a team that finished the year 5-4. They are not a top 10 team
I'm just really having trouble ranking that many teams in the state ahead of them when I imagine head to head matchups. Marist is clearly a different team now than they were when they lost those 4 games as well.

Marist lost to Rice by 3, nd and carmel by 7, and naz by 10.
3 semi final teams and a quality nd team.
Sure there's plenty of 9-0 teams that would be lucky to be 5-4 with their schedule.

Twice...

Between that and the horrible 2point decision, I'm shocked by Holacek.
Fair.
LA’s offense was a bit challenged, seemed less varied than in previous years. The defense also had talent gaps. Even with that, they beat MS and GBW.
As for the 2-point conversion, it would’ve forced Marist into a must-score situation, while LA could eat the clock. Unfortunately, that DB wasn’t fooled.
Hopefully Marist keeps playing as well the next two weeks, that QB is solid.

Reactions: Rambler1984
I thought the two pt was the right call. Both teams were slugging it out and someone had to do something different. Marist could not stop Loyola’s methodical run game and Loyola couldn’t stop Marist pass so why not take a shot. You have a 6’4” WR against a 5’10” DB. The DB made a perfect play. It was the right call just did t work out.

Reactions: Gene K. and ignazio
Losing Jadon Thompson didn't help Marist confidence during the early part, but the QB battle I think really effected them. Now that they settled on the Senior things are really starting to cook.

I'm just really having trouble ranking that many teams in the state ahead of them when I imagine head to head matchups
Most people (myself included) had trouble imagining Marist would beat LA a second time, but here we are. Loyola has earned the benefit of the doubt but this year they just weren’t a top 10 team I don’t believe. Doesn’t make them any less of a program or diminish their accomplishments.

Reactions: Gene K. and IgorStL
I thought the two pt was the right call. Both teams were slugging it out and someone had to do something different. Marist could not stop Loyola’s methodical run game and Loyola couldn’t stop Marist pass so why not take a shot. You have a 6’4” WR against a 5’10” DB. The DB made a perfect play. It was the right call just did t work out.
Agree to disagree. You have 3 timeouts with ~3:30 to go. They could have stopped Marist. Could've gotten a turnover. It's not like they couldn't stop them in that second half. It was 21-21 at half and 28-21 with ~3:30 to go in the game. Tie the game and try to get the ball back. Odds have to be better kicking the PAT and trying to get a stop. Clearly, missing that 2 pointer took the wind out of those kids' sails. Hence the wheels coming off swiftly.

Ironic that Holacek refused to use his timeouts at the end of the game week 9 against Marist and then they end up going back to Loyola 4 weeks later in the playoffs and beating them again. They win the week 9 game, Marist isn't even in the playoffs.

Marist is a damn good football team right now. Running game, great pass protection allowing Mikesell to hit receivers downfield. Defense tough. They are going to be a problem for LWE.

Reactions: Gene K.
1 to the probable 7a champ, 2 to the same team, and 1pretty bad loss it looks like to Iggy Indiana. I really don't see how they are as overrated as you claim. I think too 10 is definitely reasonable.
Iggy Ohio, who plays a regional/national schedule. Even in their "down" years, they'd be a juggernaut in this state.

Its pretty remarkable that LA has missed the 8A state championship game only 3 times in the last 9 years:

09 NA (semi)
10 NA (Semi)
11 L to Brook
12 NA (Semi)
13 L to NC
14 NA (quarters)
15 W Marist
16 L MS
17 L LWE
18 W BR
19 (quarters)

Semi’s 9 out of last 11 years. I believe most schools would love to have this pedigree. Very young team for LA. A ton back next year. Great day to be a Rambler!

Last edited:
Its pretty remarkable that LA has missed the 8A state championship game only 3 times in the last 9 years:

09 NA (semi)
10 NA (Semi)
11 L to Brook
12 NA
13 L to NC
14 NA (quarters)
15 W Marist
16 L MS
17 L LWE
18 W BR
19 (quarters)

Semi’s 11 out of last 12 years. I believe most schools would love to have this pedigree. Very young team for LA. A ton back next year. Great day to be a Rambler!
I'd venture to guess most schools would love to just have 1 visit to the semis in their program history

Reactions: WIU78 and dweise

09 NA (semi)
10 NA (Semi)
11 L to Brook
12 NA
13 L to NC
14 NA (quarters)
15 W Marist
16 L MS
17 L LWE
18 W BR
19 (quarters)

I believe most schools would love to have this pedigree. Very young team for LA. A ton back next year. Great day to be a Rambler!

09 NA (semi)
10 NA (Semi)
11 L to Brook
12 NA (Semi)
13 L to NC
14 NA (quarters)
15 W Marist
16 L MS
17 L LWE
18 W BR
19 (quarters)

Semi’s 9 out of last 11 years. I believe most schools would love to have this pedigree. Very young team for LA. A ton back next year. Great day to be a Rambler!
had to fix my math.

Weird, he’s a dynamic athlete. If he’s not at QB he should be playing WR/DB.
I could be wrong but I think Mikesell has been starting every game after since their home loss to Mount Carmel. Their offense is much better with Mikesell. But I agree that Jackson should be in there someone. He's a great athlete. He'll be starting at quarterback next year. I'm almost positive he's only a sophomore.

09 NA (semi)
10 NA (Semi)
11 L to Brook
12 NA (Semi)
13 L to NC
14 NA (quarters)
15 W Marist
16 L MS
17 L LWE
18 W BR
19 (quarters)

They only had 5 senior starters. That is an unbelievable stat. They’ll be hungry again next year with quality depth at each position. They’ll be fun to watch.
As far as the attempted 2 point conversion, coach H has won key games against Stevenson and Edwardsville with this bravado, so I have no problem with the decision. The play call though; spread formation with a design for the qb to throw to opposite side of the field across his body? That would be up for debate.

Reactions: Gene K. and ignazio
I could be wrong but I think Mikesell has been starting every game after since their home loss to Mount Carmel. Their offense is much better with Mikesell. But I agree that Jackson should be in there someone. He's a great athlete. He'll be starting at quarterback next year. I'm almost positive he's only a sophomore.
Jackson was the man vs Naz. Obviously Mikesell is very deserving but I do think this was botched for most of the season. Thornton is losing a pretty good QB...

There is no argument against go for the tie at home win on the road but I can tell you marist was on their heels. I’m sure Holacek felt even if we miss we get a three and out. Plenty of time and they have a tremendous kicker. The third and 1 run by Mikesell was a genius play call and execution. Jackson did not play at all.

Reactions: ignazio
What a great high school game and atmosphere. Kudos to Marist, I didn’t think they could pull off a second win at LA. Keep an eye out for the WR #82, can’t beleive he is only a freshman- very bright future ahead for him. Also congrats to LA on another great season. Holecek has built a machine up there, scary to think how good they may be next year with the amount of talent returning.

Reactions: Bowie50
What a great high school game and atmosphere. Kudos to Marist, I didn’t think they could pull off a second win at LA. Keep an eye out for the WR #82, can’t beleive he is only a freshman- very bright future ahead for him. Also congrats to LA on another great season. Holecek has built a machine up there, scary to think how good they may be next year with the amount of talent returning.
Is that the guy who made that great circus catch, tipping the ball to himself?

Reactions: Bowie50
I believe LA has about 14-16 starters returning next year. This was the youngest LA team I can remember since Holecek has been there. MC, Marist, Rita, Naz, ND and Rice have a bunch coming back next year too, I believe. I wouldn’t mind if members of the CCL /ESCC keep making long runs in the PO’s for years to come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT