ADVERTISEMENT

Kick offs this spring

No, I'm not saying that it needs to happen so it can "prove" they are stupid. The kids are being punished right now in basketball even with the mitigations (masks, distancing, etc etc). Many games have been cancelled the past week due to covid exposure (not from an actual game, until proven otherwise). It will happen regardless, whether you put in a billion mitigations or zero. Virus gonna virus.....So, in my opinion, you let the kids be kids. You let the game be played as it should, not change weird rules that have zero effect on anything.

Regarding football, we can also use the various studies that have shown there hasn't been any documented transmission from playing football worldwide (while not using masks too). So, I don't see the sense in requiring them to be masked. I'd prefer to follow that science, and the WHO guideline of how people should NOT wear a mask when doing physical activity. Or possibly putting in any odd rule changes for sanitizing balls, etc etc (also still zero documented covid transmission specifically from surface touching- see the numerous publications the past 2 weeks about how we are over sanitizing things unnecessarily now). It's largely virtue signaling and eyewash at this point.

I respect you don't share my opinion on this, and that's fine. We all have different opinions on it all.

Our leaders and school officials know kids are not using mitigations when they hang out with each other. Or travel elsewhere and play their sports/trainings. But we have to scramble to publicly show they are doing all these mitigations at school events because that's what a body of government says. I don't think it makes any rational sense, and I believe it should be called out on respectfully.

That's fair. I guess I was thinking about the inability of players that have been playing against each other all game not being able to shake hands. In addition, one of the wrestling rules for this year outlaws handshakes after matches.
I believe the wrestling scenario you describe is an effort to eliminate the official having to raise the victor's hand at the conclusion of the match. I thought, "After 7 minutes of sweating and breathing all over each other, why are we concerned about a 2 second hand shake?" It's the official being protected.

This is based off of NCAA data but I'm sure its similar at the HS level. Also I don't doubt what you are saying but often concussions aren't visible injuries since the kid just runs off the field all spaced out.

Kickoffs are one of the most dangerous times during a football game statistically, accounting for 23.4% of head injuries, researchers found, even though they only make up 5.8% of overall plays.

Reactions: ClownBaby
No, I'm not saying that it needs to happen so it can "prove" they are stupid. The kids are being punished right now in basketball even with the mitigations (masks, distancing, etc etc). Many games have been cancelled the past week due to covid exposure (not from an actual game, until proven otherwise). It will happen regardless, whether you put in a billion mitigations or zero. Virus gonna virus.....So, in my opinion, you let the kids be kids. You let the game be played as it should, not change weird rules that have zero effect on anything.

Regarding football, we can also use the various studies that have shown there hasn't been any documented transmission from playing football worldwide (while not using masks too). So, I don't see the sense in requiring them to be masked. I'd prefer to follow that science, and the WHO guideline of how people should NOT wear a mask when doing physical activity. Or possibly putting in any odd rule changes for sanitizing balls, etc etc (also still zero documented covid transmission specifically from surface touching- see the numerous publications the past 2 weeks about how we are over sanitizing things unnecessarily now). It's largely virtue signaling and eyewash at this point.

I respect you don't share my opinion on this, and that's fine. We all have different opinions on it all.

Our leaders and school officials know kids are not using mitigations when they hang out with each other. Or travel elsewhere and play their sports/trainings. But we have to scramble to publicly show they are doing all these mitigations at school events because that's what a body of government says. I don't think it makes any rational sense, and I believe it should be called out on respectfully.
I have agreed with 90+% of what you have written over the course of the past year. But I am very suspect about the thought that this virus isn't being transmitted through surface touching. I have said more than once, I believe it's being transmitted through touch more than people think or know. Viruses can and do live for limited periods of time on hard surfaces. Early studies showed that with this virus. What? Now they are saying it doesn't? If something as elemental as that part of this can be wrong, how confident can a person be that most of the information we are being fed is credible?

As for the WHO? As as far as I am concerned, forget those a-holes. They have shifted their opinions and "findings" so many times it's impossible to keep up with their latest "findings." It's like going into a corporate meeting and taking notes. Then when the next corporate meeting happens a month later, being told to throw away your notes from last month because they are no longer relevant.

You struck at the heart of this. This whole thing has become something of "opinion" and "political views" and that is extremely dangerous. Science isn't science anymore. It's what a person believes. If someone doesn't like the science they see, they make an effort to debunk it. If they like it or agree with the organization then they run with it. Who really knows what the hell the truth is?

The big problem I have had with this so-called "science" since the start, is that it is so different depending on political views of those putting the information out AND it is white one day and black the next. Fauci has made a complete moron of himself during this whole episode. And we taxpayers pay this clown $400,000+ a year to be an idiot. He says one thing and within a few weeks contradicts himself.

Much of what you say is probably true. But, getting to the truth has been real hard during all of this.

Last edited:
According to a scoring table worker, the 2 hoops games he has worked to date feature 4 mid-quarter time-outs for mask refreshment issues.
I saw a picture in our newspaper today of a basketball game and all the players had masks but their noses were uncovered. This makes no sense as the same thing comes out of both the nose and the mouth.

Reactions: corey90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT