ADVERTISEMENT

Kick offs this spring

gen22

Nov 14, 2012
What does everyone think if football didn’t have kickoffs this spring and started on the 25. Would this help with injuries and coaches wouldn’t have to spend time practicing this with such a short season? Would this be a good idea?

What does everyone think if football didn’t have kickoffs this spring and started on the 25. Would this help with injuries and coaches wouldn’t have to spend time practicing this with such a short season? Would this be a good idea?
Absolutely not. Many teams are built around their special teams. Kick returners who consistently get good returns, kickers who can squib, onside, or kick it through the end zone. Pre deciding field position would take away a huge phase of the game. So again, absolutely not.

It’s also where kids get hurt. I am actually okay with it but would do it like the NFL. Let the coach and return guy decide if they want to run it back. If they take a knee it’s at the 25.
Many of these HS kickers are kicking into the endzone these days anyway, but I'm ok if the coach or return guy takes a knee. Point is I wouldn't take the opportunity for some kids to be on the field away.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Many of these HS kickers are kicking into the endzone these days anyway, but I'm ok if the coach or return guy takes a knee. Point is I wouldn't take the opportunity for some kids to be on the field away.

Agree that’s why I would give the coach/kid the option. It makes sense and you will cut down on the injuries while still giving the kids a chance to play. Win win!

Reactions: missingwalter
Agree that’s why I would give the coach/kid the option. It makes sense and you will cut down on the injuries while still giving the kids a chance to play. Win win!
What coach or player would rather take the ball on the 25 over the getting a chance to return a kick to the house or get a big return? And this is a contact sport, there is a chance for injury on every play. This is taking away a crucial phase of the game. If they want to take a knee fine, but completely eliminating it, no way

What coach or player would rather take the ball on the 25 over the getting a chance to return a kick to the house or get a big return? And this is a contact sport, there is a chance for injury on every play. This is taking away a crucial phase of the game. If they want to take a knee fine, but completely eliminating it, no way

Mc
Nobody is taking away. I say you use the same rule as the NFL. The option is the coach/kids on weather they wish to return or take the ball at the 25. IMO it is a good rule.

Plenty of coaches will gladly take the ball at the 25.

Mc
Nobody is taking away. I say you use the same rule as the NFL. The option is the coach/kids on weather they wish to return or take the ball at the 25. IMO it is a good rule.
If that is what they choose to do, that’s fine, the initial post was to eliminate the kickoff completely this season and that you can’t do .

I would like to see all football adopt the XFL kickoff, much safer then what is currently used.

Reactions: sporthog9er
I returned KO and punts, I loved it. Especially punts, loved the loneliness back there.
I think returning a punt is one of the most challenging skills in all of sports, particularly as you get toward your own end zone. Often only a small pool of players on a team have the eyes, mobility, hands, judgement and "moxie" to pull it off.

Reactions: McCaravan
Totally anecdotal, but I've watched many many HS football games and don't really recall seeing many injuries as a result of kickoffs.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
Totally anecdotal, but I've watched many many HS football games and don't really recall seeing many injuries as a result of kickoffs.

This is based off of NCAA data but I'm sure its similar at the HS level. Also I don't doubt what you are saying but often concussions aren't visible injuries since the kid just runs off the field all spaced out.

Kickoffs are one of the most dangerous times during a football game statistically, accounting for 23.4% of head injuries, researchers found, even though they only make up 5.8% of overall plays.

One of the worst injuries I ever saw was on the opening kickoff of the opening game of the season. Kid got his sternum broken. The entire stands had a collective gasp.

Guys, no one is any more sympathetic to football injuries than I am. But, if you take kickoffs out of the game, it isn't football anymore. And if you do something like that, where will it end? Next, you'll have people wanting to take punts out of the game. Just move the ball 45 yards and let the other team take the ball?

Injuries will still occur. So, what happens then? Make defensive linemen, when they see a QB drop back to pass, stop for 2 seconds before rushing to decrease hits on the QB and, thus, decrease QB injuries? Have no rush on FGs? Outlaw passes over the middle?

I know a lot of you are saying, "oh they would never do this or that." Have you watched an NFL Pro Bowl game lately? They are doing a lot of this stuff and it is a waste of time to even have the game. I know they are doing it to limit or even end injuries. But, why even bother to play the game if it is going to be played that way?

And don't sit there and say it's just kickoffs. There are lawmakers in this state who would love to see HS football go away. They know they can't do it overnight. It takes one opening to end one part of the game. Then before long they will seek to change or end another part of the game. And in a surprisingly short time, so many things will be changed that it won't be football anymore. It will be pointless to even play that type of football and they will have achieved their goal.

The idea in the minds of these people is to dismantle the game piece by piece. That's how they operate when it comes to anything they don't like or want to change. So, go ahead and give them this opening and in as little as 10 years the game won't be the same.

The most gruesome football injury I ever saw was the Joe Theismann injury decades ago...and it didn't occur on a kickoff. There are others I can name that are right up there.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Kind of along the same lines, high school basketball eliminated jump balls to start the game this year. At least they did at my sons game on Monday night. I am not sure why.

Last edited:
Kind of along the same lines, high school basketball eliminated jump balls to start the game this year. At they did at my sons game on Monday night. I am not sure why.
I watched a game on Tuesday and noticed the same thing. Didn't make much sense, however, I'm just glad they're playing.

According to a scoring table worker, the 2 hoops games he has worked to date feature 4 mid-quarter time-outs for mask refreshment issues.

Reactions: USD24
Jump ball thing is RIDICULOUS. Hey, let's eliminate the jump ball so we don't get too close for covid. But right after that, feel free to rebound and jump after the ball against each other's bodies. Totally fine.

Again, common sense...gone.
My son and I said the exact same thing.

Reactions: sporthog9er
Jump ball thing is RIDICULOUS. Hey, let's eliminate the jump ball so we don't get too close for covid. But right after that, feel free to rebound and jump after the ball against each other's bodies. Totally fine.

Again, common sense...gone.
Just like playing an entire game, then not allowing handshakes at the end. Silly.

There have been a slew of "this year only" basketball mechanics changes. You can see them on the IHSA website in the officials guidelines document. 4 mid-quarter timeouts, no jump balls, only timer and home team scorer at the table (unless big enough to hold more with proper distancing), only bounce ball to the player when taking out of bounds, new clean ball after each timeout. It hasn't been explicitly said, but many of these changes are to protect officials as well. Haven't seen any for football yet but would expect some. I saw another state experimented with the offense giving the ball to the center after each play and he brings the ball out of the huddle and places it where the umpire puts a bean bag. Don't think we will see that here.

Just like playing an entire game, then not allowing handshakes at the end. Silly.

The jump ball thing is incredibly stupid but the hand shake thing makes sense, why have kids who haven’t played or been in contact with one another then all touch each other after the game is over?

The jump ball thing is incredibly stupid but the hand shake thing makes sense, why have kids who haven’t played or been in contact with one another then all touch each other after the game is over?
That's fair. I guess I was thinking about the inability of players that have been playing against each other all game not being able to shake hands. In addition, one of the wrestling rules for this year outlaws handshakes after matches.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Are you saying players who are not playing don't get close to guys on their teams during the game? I find that hard to believe.

They do but they don’t get close to players from the other team so why have them go get close to them when the game is over?
Guys, I understand that. But their players on the field DO get close to the other team. If you are inside the facility, you are at risk in some form. So, whether players are on the field or not they all run some kind of risk. To think you can remove all risk from some players who aren't on the field is naive at best.

So, then I am assuming if only the guys who played shook hands at the end of the game it would be OK with you?

Guys, I understand that. But their players on the field DO get close to the other team. If you are inside the facility, you are at risk in some form. So, whether players are on the field or not they all run some kind of risk. To think you can remove all risk from some players who aren't on the field is naive at best.

So, then I am assuming if only the guys who played shook hands at the end of the game it would be OK with you?
I was specifically referring to basketball, but I guess they won't shake hands in football either. I don't think they believe they are eliminating ALL risk, but I have to believe they are eliminating SOME risk.

Reactions: ClownBaby

For me absolutely. I think there should be no restrictions for athletic events. No weird mitigations with the game, hand shaking, or wearing masks.

For me absolutely. I think there should be no restrictions for athletic events. No weird mitigations with the game, hand shaking, or wearing masks.

Why would you be against mitigations at games? If just one kid gets Covid at a game it will be used againist the sport as a whole or it will force teams to cancel games in an already shortened season. Taking every precaution possible even though some are over the top seems prudent if you want kids to get an opportunity to play.

Why would you be against mitigations at games? If just one kid gets Covid at a game it will be used againist the sport as a whole or it will force teams to cancel games in an already shortened season. Taking every precaution possible even though some are over the top seems prudent if you want kids to get an opportunity to play.
Because there is no science that supports it. Literally zero out there that shows it does anything in athletic activity. And, I guess I'm still in the minority position that if we collectively accept it then it just gives them more opportunities to continue this forever. Still not seeing anything that really gives us hope this will end soon. Not in the fall, not in 22....so why just say it's all good?

Im not saying kids should make a stink about this or rebel...it is what it is to play. But that doesn't mean the people making the decision shouldn't be called on it or feel the heat for the lack of science supporting any of this.

And last, I feel that way because I think whether there were mitigations or not, it wouldn't make a difference. Covid and the virus are gonna do what it does. So why not play normal?

Because there is no science that supports it. Literally zero out there that shows it does anything in athletic activity. And, I guess I'm still in the minority position that if we collectively accept it then it just gives them more opportunities to continue this forever. Still not seeing anything that really gives us hope this will end soon. Not in the fall, not in 22....so why just say it's all good?

Im not saying kids should make a stink about this or rebel...it is what it is to play. But that doesn't mean the people making the decision shouldn't be called on it or feel the heat for the lack of science supporting any of this.

And last, I feel that way because I think whether there were mitigations or not, it wouldn't make a difference. Covid and the virus are gonna do what it does. So why not play normal?

So you have 130 kids between two teams and and only 50 play, but you want the other 80 to go shake hands and mix it up after the game so you can prove that Covid restrictions are stupid? Then when there is an out break you can start a thread about how it is terrible that your school had 6 games scheduled but only played 2. Look at the NFL data the idea that idea the you need to be within 6' for 15mins to get Covid is completely wrong. No matter what your opinion is on restrictions (I think they are stupid) not taking every precaution possible is stupid since it will just lead to kids being punished a second time.

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT