ADVERTISEMENT

Just a Meaningless Observation

tmjgrady

Oct 5, 2015
Just a meaningless observation for the fun of it:

I noticed that some teams that won a regular season game against another team that was also playing in the semi-finals today (but in a different game / and in some cases a different class) was the team that lost out today and the team that lost in their regular season match-up won and advanced to play in the championship. Obviously this occurs with conference games and success of both teams moving deep into the playoffs, but there are a couple non-conference examples in here too.

For example:

LWE beat C-M; but is the Warriors advancing and the Griffins staying home

Mount Carmel beat Loyola; but it is the Ramblers advancing and the Caravan staying home

Marist beat Naz; but is the Roadrunners advancing and Marist staying home

Marist beat JCA; but is the Hilltoppers (or is it Hillmen?) advancing and again, Marist staying home

Batavia beat SCN; but is SCN advancing and Batavia staying home

Lanark beat Forreston; but it is Forreston advancing and Lanark staying hone

Lena-Winslow beat Forreston; but it is Forreston advancing and L-W staying home (this is the only case of a re-match of same 2 teams from the regular season)

AND finally.

Richards beat St Rita; but is the Mustangs advancing on and Richards staying home (ok, that one was a stretch….)

In most cases we are talking a somewhat significant difference in class – yes, I know Marist is 8A and JCA is 5A and LWE is 8A and C-M is 6A – and the regular season match-up should have gone as expected and each team’s fate today had nothing to do with a regular season opponent playing elsewhere – just a dumb observation that’s all. I just got to thinking that if after the Marist v JCA game for example, you were to tell me that one of those teams would be playing in Champaign, I would have thought, ok, it will be Marist

Just a meaningless observation for the fun of it:

I noticed that some teams that won a regular season game against another team that was also playing in the semi-finals today (but in a different game / and in some cases a different class) was the team that lost out today and the team that lost in their regular season match-up won and advanced to play in the championship. Obviously this occurs with conference games and success of both teams moving deep into the playoffs, but there are a couple non-conference examples in here too.

For example:

LWE beat C-M; but is the Warriors advancing and the Griffins staying home

Mount Carmel beat Loyola; but it is the Ramblers advancing and the Caravan staying home

Marist beat Naz; but is the Roadrunners advancing and Marist staying home

Marist beat JCA; but is the Hilltoppers (or is it Hillmen?) advancing and again, Marist staying home

Batavia beat SCN; but is SCN advancing and Batavia staying home

Lanark beat Forreston; but it is Forreston advancing and Lanark staying hone

Lena-Winslow beat Forreston; but it is Forreston advancing and L-W staying home (this is the only case of a re-match of same 2 teams from the regular season)

AND finally.

Richards beat St Rita; but is the Mustangs advancing on and Richards staying home (ok, that one was a stretch….)

In most cases we are talking a somewhat significant difference in class – yes, I know Marist is 8A and JCA is 5A and LWE is 8A and C-M is 6A – and the regular season match-up should have gone as expected and each team’s fate today had nothing to do with a regular season opponent playing elsewhere – just a dumb observation that’s all. I just got to thinking that if after the Marist v JCA game for example, you were to tell me that one of those teams would be playing in Champaign, I would have thought, ok, it will be Marist

You answered your own question! In most cases the small school lost in the regular season and won when they got to play schools in their class... not a tough one.

Last edited:
Reactions: mullin17
Richards & Hillcrest were good but played weak schedules & it came back to bite them.Joliet Catholic is the Hilltoppers & Hillmen.They topped the Hill(crest) today

Reactions: Gene K.
Hillcrest a lot like Highland played very weak competition in the regular season and in the playoffs.

You are a Catholic high school in a big school Catholic conference playing down in 5a.

Success factor, multiplier, whats next on IHSA's schedule for punishing private schools? How about previous championships or 2nd place finishes for the past 30 years? Maybe we could get a survey of which team's families have silver punch bowls in their homes to even this playing field out! The more silver punch bowls the higher class you go to!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT