ADVERTISEMENT

JJ McCarthy to draft

Like where did I mention disrespect?

No need to make things up, my posts are all ITT.

I asked him if his JJ comp was actually a UDFA D2 QB, because that's a terrible comp per every single draft board made public.

Has nothing to do with JJ being a Nazareth grad. It's an atrocious draft comp by him.

But carry on making up drama... you are great at it.
One might ask if he was a Naz Grad or an IMG Grad 😆

Reactions: epicbret
I usually like watching Youtube film on the QBs entering the draft prior to the draft. I haven’t started, but I’ve watched a handful or two live games with JJ. Here’s my initial thought’s from real time since people are asking for scouting LOL!

Size - Good size and frame for a QB. He’s not a thick built QB, but appears to be wirey strong which I think is a positive.

Football IQ - JJ’s intangibles are as good as any QB in the draft, and probably better than every QB in the draft. I think the kid has a naturally better feel for the game than many QBs, evennin the pros. Think Brock Purdy. When JJ has the ball, he knows what NOT to do. Low fumble rate. Low INT rate. Mistake-free football, or as some call it, “Winning Football”.

Arm - I think the grade on JJ arm is good, but grade still incomplete. I say that because he just hasn’t thrown a lot at Michigan. Strength wise, I think he can make all the throws needed. Accuracy wise, I think he can make all the throws. He will need to show that at Pro level though. I’ll need to focus more on the “Arm” in my Youtube film sessions, but I don’t have any concerns.

Anticipation - Another trait hard to judge until he’s playing Sundays. I’ll check out some of their bigger games to see if I can get any read, but I doubt anything tells me much. His high football IQ I think lends itself well towards expecting anticipation.

Legs - Not a scrambler, but his legs are a strength. JJ can pick up first downs when needed and has big enough frame I’m not scared of injury every run (Bryce Young).

Movement in pocket - I think from what I remember, JJ moves very well in the pocket. I think he’ll be able to feel the blitz and pressure and get into a spot he can get rid of the ball.

Overall, I really like JJ potential as a starting QB. Generally, if you’re a 4k passer in the NFL, you were a high volume passer in college. That’s not JJ, and hasn’t been Michigan though, so I don’t think he’s a surefire stud. Giving him a few years to learn the nfl game like Love could help. He just doesn’t have a lot of high pressure throws under his belt, and in the NFL - they are all high pressure.

I was referring to the word "doubters" that someone else used.

Merely pointing out that there weren't many people who could be fairly characterized as doubters in this thread. Some questioning his draft placement and ability to be a top of the line QB, but nobody really doubting his pedigree to be drafted fairly high and given a shot in the NFL.

Yes Bagent as a draft comp is poor but draft comps are a waste of time, so I don't think many people were following that part of the thread. Not sure what drama you are referring to or why one would indicate that I am good at it? Perhaps the persistent perception of drama is the issue at hand?
You blamed a decade long Naz poster. I was the only one in the thread.

" few Naz posters (many of them have a decade long reputation for being hyper-sensitive) seem to take that as an affront and therefore seem to feel that is disrespectful"

That's you making up things, aka drama.

Again, I asked for a comp. That is all...

Don’t think the Colts are looking for another early round QB right now.

Rooting for him but my advice would be to not accept the ESPN invite and to enjoy the event surrounded by family and friends in LaGrange Park. Don’t be ESPNs 2024 Brady Quinn or Will Levis
That won't happen. Its in Detroit. Michigan Country!

I don't think people are questioning his athletic ability it's just that they haven't seen it in a game. He hasn't been asked to lead a team downfield in the last 2 minutes to win a game, he's never had to bring a team back from down 2 scores in the 4th quarter, he's never been asked to put up 350 yards and 4 TDs in order to win a shootout. Not saying he can't do all of these things, but there's no body of work to go off of.
He did have 4TDs (1 Rushing) in 2022 against Ohio State. They were down at half. Seems like that was a high pressure game.

He did have 4TDs (1 Rushing) in 2022 against Ohio State. They were down at half. Seems like that was a high pressure game.
All true, but they took the lead 4 minutes into the 3rd quarter and the Michigan RB went for over 200 yards. So it was a balanced game, it was never all on him. Being balanced is always the goal but the NFL is a pass heavy league.

More important than when he goes is where he goes. All the players that haven’t panned out after being drafted by the Bears or the Browns couldn’t have all been bad players or not NFL caliber players. But they all unfortunately ended up in poor organizations and bad situations.

Reactions: Gene K.
Lol
I didn’t know I assumed he was a QB. My bad. In that case he may go in 1 or 2nd. I have no idea.
Corey, this looks like your ill informed comments about Michigan not being able to beat Bama! Then you doubled down on Michigan not being able to cover those “great” Washington receivers that would result in a Michigan loss. I know you love Ohio State and hate private Catholic schools, but come on man, you thought Nubin was a QB?

Corey, this looks like your ill informed comments about Michigan not being able to beat Bama! Then you doubled down on Michigan not being able to cover those “great” Washington receivers that would result in a Michigan loss. I know you love Ohio State and hate private Catholic schools, but come on man, you thought Nubin was a QB?
Lol
First congratulations to Michigan. I am not a huge Buckeye fan but they are growing on me. I am a USC and Bama fan. I don’t hate private schools.

People jumping the shark trying to prove themselves right on JJ. Just had someone tell me coaches went away from JJ at Nazareth in crunch time. Favoring heavy sets so JJ wouldn't throw.

Like dude, the staff knew* from before he wore blue they would run an offense through a generational QB...

Last edited:
People jumping the shark trying to prove themselves right on JJ. Just had someone tell me coaches went away from JJ at Nazareth in crunch time. Favoring heavy sets so JJ wouldn't throw.

Like dude, the staff knew* from before he wore blue they would run an offense through a generational QB...
All I know is he's going to be a 10-year NFL vet if he wants to be...

You were able to tell when he was in 6th grade coming to workouts that his ball spun differently. Great kid, even better family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT