ADVERTISEMENT

JJ McCarthy to draft

Because I want to have a baseline to compare his actual draft status to. Right now I have you down for UDFA for him

Because I want to have a baseline to compare his actual draft status to. Right now I have you down for UDFA for him
Without putting much thought into it I would say a fair comp may be Jordan Love. Gets taken end of the 1st or somewhere in the 2nd to a team that doesn't need a QB to come in and start right away. Sits behind a veteran and learns how to read an NFL defense, adjust to the speed of the game, learns the scheme of his team, and just absorbs as much information as he possibly can for a year or more. Then there's a chance he steps in when the QB in front of him moves on and has success with a good team around him.

At this moment, I don't see any NFL team where he would be considered better than the current starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brin22 and epicbret
Is the QB we got the last six weeks what is getting drafted? Then yes.
I'm asking you for your draft comp for JJ MCCARTHY the quarterback. Seemed like you had one, but now you don't.

I think he's a round 2 QB. Not a UDFA. And I'd say he's more Andy Dalton but a better runner and more efficient.

My high school coach always told us, excuses are like ***holes, everyone has one and they all stink. Apply armchair quarterback opinions and pretty much the same thing. What do we know? Who saw Brady and Purdy and many others. How did Vince Young and Johnny Manziel pan out? How about wishing the kid good luck? If he has brains, skills and fire, he’ll find his place.

• Love
Reactions: kkhawk and Gene K.
He's very athletic and will interview as well as any
I don't think people are questioning his athletic ability it's just that they haven't seen it in a game. He hasn't been asked to lead a team downfield in the last 2 minutes to win a game, he's never had to bring a team back from down 2 scores in the 4th quarter, he's never been asked to put up 350 yards and 4 TDs in order to win a shootout. Not saying he can't do all of these things, but there's no body of work to go off of.

My high school coach always told us, excuses are like ***holes, everyone has one and they all stink. Apply armchair quarterback opinions and pretty much the same thing. What do we know? Who saw Brady and Purdy and many others. How did Vince Young and Johnny Manziel pan out? How about wishing the kid good luck? If he has brains, skills and fire, he’ll find his place.
For the record I said “I’m rooting for him.”

I don't think people are questioning his athletic ability it's just that they haven't seen it in a game. He hasn't been asked to lead a team downfield in the last 2 minutes to win a game, he's never had to bring a team back from down 2 scores in the 4th quarter, he's never been asked to put up 350 yards and 4 TDs in order to win a shootout. Not saying he can't do all of these things, but there's no body of work to go off of.
I never said anyone was questioning it.

I'm questioning the guys with his comps as Justin Fields and Tyson Bagent.

I also said he's athletic and will test well directly in response to why draft activities will boost him, which is factual and wasn't a response to the rest of you gents

I also said he's athletic and will test well directly in response to why draft activities will boost him, which is factual and wasn't a response to the rest of you gents
My question to this is, of the other QB's at the top of this class who is he more athletic than? If all perform well at the combine/pro days does JJ jump over anyone?

I'm asking you for your draft comp for JJ MCCARTHY the quarterback. Seemed like you had one, but now you don't.
Asked and answered. If the last six weeks is what an NFL team is getting, he is no better than a game manager whose job is to hand off and make short throws. Like Tyson Bagent.

If there is an injury reason for him being a game manager the last 40 percent of the season, then he is probably a second day pick provided he is healthy and has a good pro day.

My question to this is, of the other QB's at the top of this class who is he more athletic than? If all perform well at the combine/pro days does JJ jump over anyone?
I think he’s on par with them
Asked and answered. If the last six weeks is what an NFL team is getting, he is no better than a game manager whose job is to hand off and make short throws. Like Tyson Bagent.

If there is an injury reason for him being a game manager the last 40 percent of the season, then he is probably a second day pick provided he is healthy and has a good pro day.
Context helps…Jesus. They didn’t need him to do much, HC was out for how many of those and they were SUPER conservative and the goal was winning the NC however they had to.

So you think he's an UDFA, ok

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
He is both the benefactor and victim of being surrounded by tremendous talent, especially in the run game. Difficult to evaluate because of that. I think that's why we are seeing such inconsistent evals on this thread

Rooting for him but my advice would be to not accept the ESPN invite and to enjoy the event surrounded by family and friends in LaGrange Park. Don’t be ESPNs 2024 Brady Quinn or Will Levis

Rooting for him but my advice would be to not accept the ESPN invite and to enjoy the event surrounded by family and friends in LaGrange Park. Don’t be ESPNs 2024 Brady Quinn or Will Levis
Agreed - be like LT.

Lots of McCarthy doubters in this thread, I’m quite the opposite. He will crush the combine / interview process and be picked top 25 and be a very good starter for years
I really don't think anyone here has mentioned something that would make them a "doubter."

Some mentioned that he would be a "project." A few Naz posters (many of them have a decade long reputation for being hyper-sensitive) seem to take that as an affront and therefore seem to feel that is disrespectful.

I think people questioning his readiness, suggesting he is a project, and questioning his limited opportunities to throw downfield in college are all legitimate questions and probably lead to why he is the projected 5th-10th QB taken and not in the top 2 or 3.

Suggesting someone is a project and may take several years to develop is not a slight in the least. Patrick Mahomes is the exception. There is a break in period for almost all QB's. JJ's may be longer than most because of the limitations the Michigan offense placed on him. Then again, maybe it won't and he will end up looking MVP caliber after a year or two.

Doubting him would be someone saying he is likely a bust. I haven't seen too much of that in this thread.

Reactions: ClownBaby and 4Afan
I really don't think anyone here has mentioned something that would make them a "doubter."

Some mentioned that he would be a "project." A few Naz posters (many of them have a decade long reputation for being hyper-sensitive) seem to take that as an affront and therefore seem to feel that is disrespectful.

I think people questioning his readiness, suggesting he is a project, and questioning his limited opportunities to throw downfield in college are all legitimate questions and probably lead to why he is the projected 5th-10th QB taken and not in the top 2 or 3.

Suggesting someone is a project and may take several years to develop is not a slight in the least. Patrick Mahomes is the exception. There is a break in period for almost all QB's. JJ's may be longer than most because of the limitations the Michigan offense placed on him. Then again, maybe it won't and he will end up looking MVP caliber after a year or two.

Doubting him would be someone saying he is likely a bust. I haven't seen too much of that in this thread.
It’s funny there is an 65 page thread about the Bears where management and players are getting ripped yet you bring up a fact the there are plenty of legitimate questions about a local kid going into the NFL draft and it becomes off limits or you are some type of hater/ doubter. This board is weird how people hang on to guys that played at their high school like it’s some badge of honor that Harry Hut Hut went on and made good.

I merely asked for a draft comp...

Like where did I mention disrespect?

No need to make things up, my posts are all ITT.

I asked him if his JJ comp was actually a UDFA D2 QB, because that's a terrible comp per every single draft board made public.

Has nothing to do with JJ being a Nazareth grad. It's an atrocious draft comp by him.

But carry on making up drama... you are great at it.

Last edited:
It’s funny there is an 65 page thread about the Bears where management and players are getting ripped yet you bring up a fact the there are plenty of legitimate questions about a local kid going into the NFL draft and it becomes off limits or you are some type of hater/ doubter. This board is weird how people hang on to guys that played at their high school like it’s some badge of honor that Harry Hut Hut went on and made good.
I think most of us root for IL kids to do well, and I don't think that's weird to want to see local kids succeed in a sport we are told is dying here.

I don't go in the Bears thread, but those aren't high school or college athletes, they are professionals.

• Love
Reactions: Gene K.
I don't think I inferred he'd jump anyone at the top. I said round two...

Last edited:
Like where did I mention disrespect?

No need to make things up, my posts are all ITT.

I asked him if his JJ comp was actually a UDFA D2 QB, because that's a terrible comp per every single draft board made public.

Has nothing to do with JJ being a Nazareth grad. It's an atrocious draft comp by him.

But carry on making up drama... you are great at it.
I was referring to the word "doubters" that someone else used.

Merely pointing out that there weren't many people who could be fairly characterized as doubters in this thread. Some questioning his draft placement and ability to be a top of the line QB, but nobody really doubting his pedigree to be drafted fairly high and given a shot in the NFL.

Yes Bagent as a draft comp is poor but draft comps are a waste of time, so I don't think many people were following that part of the thread. Not sure what drama you are referring to or why one would indicate that I am good at it? Perhaps the persistent perception of drama is the issue at hand?

Reactions: USD24 and 4Afan
I think he has a pretty good chance to go round 2 or 3.
Maybe he blows them away at the combine and goes higher?

As it stands right now I believe the colts have pick #47 and need a QB, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go there to finish out this years run on 47.
They just drafter Anthony Richardson last year. He was out injured the 2nd half of the year, but Indy has a young starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT