ADVERTISEMENT

JJ McCarthy, QB, Minnesota Vikings

Two predictions so far:

1) McCarthy will haunt the Bears for years and years ... ala Aaron Rodgers, and, 2), the steal of the draft is Michael Penix.

Reactions: Bwm57
Two predictions so far:

1) McCarthy will haunt the Bears for years and years ... ala Aaron Rodgers, and, 2), the steal of the draft is Michael Penix.
You can't have a steal at number 8. Forget the fact that he had a second round grade

Two predictions so far:

He is one injury away from being done. That said I like him and was surprised the Falcons didn’t go receiver.

True but to say there's no difference between 1-32 is misguided to say the least.
There is. But he was rated past that. It's just not a "steal". And I LIKE the pick. If I picked Tom Brady in the 1st round when he would have been available in the 5th or 6th, would you call that a steal?

Cute,
He has had 2 knee surgeries and shoulder surgery. You know what I meant. I like him just concerned he is injury prone especially after the knowledge he has that many serious injuries.

Cute,
He has had 2 knee surgeries and shoulder surgery. You know what I meant. I like him just concerned he is injury prone especially after the knowledge he has that many serious injuries.
Is Heinecke still on the Falcons roster...I'd bet on him starting 9 or over games this season.

Penix pick, when they just gave Cousins 4yr/180 million, doesn't make a lot of sense. They are either eating a lot of dead cap money by cutting Cousins after this season ($40 million against cap if cut before 2025), or Penix spends half his rookie contract as a backup. Neither of those scenarios are how you win in today's NFL.

Last edited:
How about the Colts picking a guy who missed 2 seasons to a neck injury and was encouraged to retire?

Penix pick, when they just gave Cousins 4yr/180 million, doesn't make a lot of sense. They are either eating a lot of dead cap money by cutting Cousins after this season ($40 million against cap if cut before 2025), or Penix spends half his rookie contract as a backup. Neither of those scenarios are how you win in today's NFL.
Cousins deal is essentially 2 years for $90 mil
there's options for the last 2 years. Sitting the young QB for a year or 2 seems to have worked out just fine for the Packers over the years.

I think that is why there are so many busts with young QBs today, they're expected to have the NFL game all figured out from day 1 and that's a recipe for disaster.

Congrats. Gonna hate having to actively root against him multiple times a year 😂

Cousins has been riding the wave his whole career. How many playoff games has he won? 1 maybe 2. Cousins will have one maybe 2 season then he'll be replaced by Penix.

Cousins has been riding the wave his whole career. How many playoff games has he won? 1 maybe 2. Cousins will have one maybe 2 season then he'll be replaced by Penix.
I'm not arguing that Cousins is the answer. It's just strange to sign a guy to the money he got, and draft a QB #8, in the same off-season. Signing someone for 1 year, and drafting Penix for the future makes sense. Are they going to pay Cousins $40 million to be a back-up in 2025?

If they wanted to draft Penix, they should have just gave the Bears a 5th round pick for Fields for this season, let him walk after, and Penix starts in 2025. Would have saved themselves a lot of cap space.

The 'cherry on top' to the situation is that they are being investigated for tampering in signing Cousins. Might even cost them some more future draft picks.

If they are "guilty" of tampering, is it possible they relinquish Cousins back into the open market rather than lose draft picks?

I'm not arguing that Cousins is the answer. It's just strange to sign a guy to the money he got, and draft a QB #8, in the same off-season. Signing someone for 1 year, and drafting Penix for the future makes sense. Are they going to pay Cousins $40 million to be a back-up in 2025?

If they wanted to draft Penix, they should have just gave the Bears a 5th round pick for Fields for this season, let him walk after, and Penix starts in 2025. Would have saved themselves a lot of cap space.

The 'cherry on top' to the situation is that they are being investigated for tampering in signing Cousins. Might even cost them some more future draft picks.
You forgot to mention Cousins is coming back from an achilles injury and you don't know how a QB who will be 36 at the start of the season will respond.

My biggest issue is taking him at #8. Falcons could have traded back and acquired more picks. I like the idea of having the rookie QB sit behind a veteran for a year or so to learn the NFL game and catch up to the speed of the game.

Sounds like JJ wasn't Vikings first choice. Reports coming out that they offered both their 1st round picks this year and their 2025 first round to the Pats for their #3 pick in order to draft Maye.

There are legitimate thoughts that JJ is a byproduct of a great team around him at Michigan. I keep hearing about adversity with the QBs in this draft. Well, between Naz, IMG, and Michigan how much adversity has JJ faced?

Reactions: Gene K. and 4Afan
There are legitimate thoughts that JJ is a byproduct of a great team around him at Michigan. I keep hearing about adversity with the QBs in this draft. Well, between Naz, IMG, and Michigan how much adversity has JJ faced?
The Mt. Carmel State championship game

Reactions: Gene K.

If I remember correctly Harbaugh was not allowed to attend many of the Michigan games.

My God some of you cannot help yourself

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I mean, we collectively fathered a top-10 NFL QB …. Let us celebrate this!
To be honest if The Bears traded the number #1 pick, which I am happy they didn’t because I believe Williams was the best QB in the draft. I would have picked JJ and also got Adumze. Plus whatever other draft picks they would’ve got with trading the #1. I am absolutely happy with Poles and his decision making in this draft. Bears are going to be a lot of fun to watch this coming season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT